Ups Help

nikster

I'd like to install a UPS for WiFi and modem.

It needs to have the following features:

- No beeping sound

- No auto shut off (for any reason)

I had an old UPS where I removed the beeper - was very easy. It was very simple, and so it just kept on working as long as the battery would last, which is 30 - 60 minutes with only the modem and WiFi connected. It was perfect. However, it died, and the store guy claims it can't be fixed - I am not sure either he can't get the same battery anymore or the logic board is actually fried.

The last UPS I bought was a high end model - I thought this would last even longer and wanted top quality. Unfortunately, it had a beeper that could not be removed easily, it was very hard to take apart. Worse still, it would shut off after a few minutes. It's some sort of "smart" feature when there is not enough power draw - don't know why.

So now - if you know of a UPS that at least doesn't have the auto shut off, please let me know.

My UPS has a set of dip switches on the back, one is to turn off beeper rather than hacking it out. Google and check it out on the manufacturers websites, also their support people might be best to answer your question. Most UPS batteries are easy to get out, if you get the beeper out then the battery should be easy, take it to a battery shop ask them to test it, a replacement should be no problem if it is dead.

Would you mind telling me the model number of that APC UPS? I searched their site, and the user manual for the basic APC Back-UPS 500 ES but it has no information on any dip switches that allow turning off the alarm. I will check with the stores but so far whenever I mentioned I don't want a sound, I have been met with blank stares.

The last UPS I bought was a high end model - I thought this would last even longer and wanted top quality. Unfortunately, it had a beeper that could not be removed easily, it was very hard to take apart. Worse still, it would shut off after a few minutes. It's some sort of "smart" feature when there is not enough power draw - don't know why.

Had the same problem with 2 different UPS would suddenly shut off...

Around the PC area I have 33 things plugged in... had one 1x wall socket, I ran a cable over the ceiling and down the wall from the fuse box with another 2 sockets, in this I plugged in the UPS, in the back of the UPS I have a Heavy duty Surge Tower [came with me from the UK in 2003] all computer things are plugged into this tower... The socket on the wall I have another UPS plugged in and everything to do with the TV 7 items are plugged into this..

A few months ago I ran another cable from the fuse box over the ceiling and down by the PC........ at the time I noticed the other cable I had use 4 years before was thick but only 2 wires.. The new cable was 3 wires so the new 3 sockets have earth..

I plugged the PC UPS into the new socket and since then the UPS has always stayed on, and if the electric goes off then the UPS beeps and the PC is still on....

So maybe the UPS works correct only when it is plugged into a socket with earth ?

To test this I tried it out on one of the UPS upstairs these are plugged directly into the wall sockets, so took up a 2 pin extension plugged in the UPS and switched on, ran down to the hall and switched off the upstairs sockets at the fuse box, sure enough there was a single beep and the UPS was off...

So maybe the UPS works correct only when it is plugged into a socket with earth ?

To test this I tried it out on one of the UPS upstairs these are plugged directly into the wall sockets, so took up a 2 pin extension plugged in the UPS and switched on, ran down to the hall and switched off the upstairs sockets at the fuse box, sure enough there was a single beep and the UPS was off...

Yes, most UPSs REQUIRE earth to function correctly.

As for the beep, I'm using only Leonics UPS and they all beep but was told that there are some dip switches inside which allows you to change some settings incl. beep on/off, but I never tried it so can not confirm it.

opalhort

I have an I mac 24 and am looking to buy a UPS after suffering thru a few brown outs.

Does anyone have recommendations for where and what in Bkk is good?

I looked around Fortune a bit and see there are certainly a number of them available but when I asked for details we could not get past the language barrier on this topic.

All I know is I was shown a few models then when asking if it was decent for a mac I was then taken to models twice the price or more. If thats the case then fine but would like to hear from experts out there what is suitable.

This building I believe is grounded.

I would like to get a unit that I could plug 2 power bars into, which in turn provide power to about ten appliances, incl th ei mac and some peripherals.

Thx

kuma: iMac or not doesn't matter one bit. The stronger UPSs are more expensive but don't expect them to last long either - they all last 10 - 15 minutes. The main idea is that you have enough time to shut down your equipment safely, and to protect the equipment from power surges and low voltage conditions.

For your purposes any would do... don't mention it's for a Mac, that's just an invitation to overcharge you for something you don't need.

Personally, I'll try to get an APC - the dipswitches mentioned above are one reason, and the fact that they have Mac software on their website for download, and the website is in English. There are a lot of Thai brands out there which may be fine, but they have either no English manual or an incomprehensible one, and forget about websites. True for synnex, in any case.... I tried to disable the beeper in the synnex with their software, and it turned out to be impossible. The software was in Thai too, which didn't help.

Nikster

Thanks for the tip. Yea I could see no reason why type of equipment would matter.

In terms of the two power bars with a load of appliances on them, I suppose that will only shorten the time they will keep everything running?

Cheers

k man

kuma: iMac or not doesn't matter one bit. The stronger UPSs are more expensive but don't expect them to last long either - they all last 10 - 15 minutes. The main idea is that you have enough time to shut down your equipment safely, and to protect the equipment from power surges and low voltage conditions.

For your purposes any would do... don't mention it's for a Mac, that's just an invitation to overcharge you for something you don't need.

Personally, I'll try to get an APC - the dipswitches mentioned above are one reason, and the fact that they have Mac software on their website for download, and the website is in English. There are a lot of Thai brands out there which may be fine, but they have either no English manual or an incomprehensible one, and forget about websites. True for synnex, in any case.... I tried to disable the beeper in the synnex with their software, and it turned out to be impossible. The software was in Thai too, which didn't help.

You are not limited to a 10 to 15 minute run out of a UPS, you just need to spend more money if you want longer. The big one I have (Liebert who also handle APC) will run my high end desktop computer for over an hour. To buy the UPS new is over $1500 USD, I got it for free but had to replace the 8 batteries that cost around 1000 baht each.

Perhaps the store above also figured if you are prepared to pay more for a Mac you will also pay more for a UPS LOL.

Edited by garyh