Ubuntu 9.10 Is Here!

Supernova

I have been running the Beta for a few weeks on my seerver, now upgrading my laptop. The more I use Linux the happier I am, and soon hope it will be my main OS after nearly 30 years of M$ hassle (except for a brief period of OS/2 (a great OS superior to XP, but pre Windoze 95, let down by poor hardware and software support and M$ shenanigans with IBM) and of course DrDOS

Edited by thaimite

Been running 9.10 on a separate partition since Alpha 4 and I must say I am impressed. In fact so impressed that it became my production system while it was still in beta. This is the first time I have ever done this with any OS.

Now I am downloading the final ISO so I can begin to spread the love on to friends and family machines, BUT NO.!!! For some <deleted> up reason CAT Internet has decided that every time torrents has been running for ~1 min. my entire Internet connection is blocked for ~2 min to be followed by a reset and the cycle goes on. :) I hate when these no brain technicians think they have found the ultimate traffic shaping tool.

Fortunately the http download works well from Taiwan. :D

I just did the 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade and after 3 hours this is like a new box so far. Well done development team.

One snag only - no VMWare working any more, so time to find out why.

I upgraded only my notebook until now and i think i'll wait a bit before doing the same on my production machine.

The upgrade process went fairly smooth and after the reboot there are only a few small bugs around but i am not still confident to play with the machine i need in my job.

I just did the 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade and after 3 hours this is like a new box so far. Well done development team.

One snag only - no VMWare working any more, so time to find out why.

After a kernel update vmware must be reconfigured, a patch must also be applied in order to run on the new 9.10

http://blog.mymediasystem.net/uncategorize...c-koala-x86_64/

I am downloading it now. Once I boot the install cd, does it give me an option to have dual boot? My primary OS is Win7.

Tks

I downloaded the 9.10 iso on the 29th, once you've burned it to a CD you can boot from the CD amd try it before installing to your hardrive.

I'm sure you can dual boot although I haven't done that yet. I am dual booting XP and Win 7 at the moment.

Last night I created a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu 9.10 so I can play around with it a bit more before I stick it on the actual HD.

I have Windows 7 AND Ubuntu 9.1 on separate hard drives. Considering the price of hard drives, I find it difficult to justify dual boots. I am not a techie for sure and I once tried the dual boot. It was a disaster and I found it impossible to get rid of the Linux boot. A partition program and a complete format was required to get Windows working again.

I downloaded the 9.10 iso on the 29th, once you've burned it to a CD you can boot from the CD amd try it before installing to your hardrive.

I'm sure you can dual boot although I haven't done that yet. I am dual booting XP and Win 7 at the moment.

Last night I created a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu 9.10 so I can play around with it a bit more before I stick it on the actual HD.

I have Windows 7 AND Ubuntu 9.1 on separate hard drives. Considering the price of hard drives, I find it difficult to justify dual boots. I am not a techie for sure and I once tried the dual boot. It was a disaster and I found it impossible to get rid of the Linux boot. A partition program and a complete format was required to get Windows working again.

I have three hdd's in my computer. The first harddisk (80GB) holds all operating systems and is partitioned as follows:

Partition #1 (Primary-1), size: 100MB
- NTFS
- This is the MBR. Reserved exclusively for Windows boot files (ntldr, bootmgr, boot.ini). 

Partition #2 (Primary-2), size: 10GB
- EXT3
- Linux root "/". GRUB is installed to this partition and is used to boot the system.

------- EXTENDED -------

Partition #3 (Logical-1), size: 15GB
- NTFS
- Windows XP

Partition #4 (Logical-2), size: 30GB
- NTFS
- Windows 7 

Partition #5 (Logical-3), size: 18GB
- EXT3
- Linux Home "/home". Common data storage for both Linux and Windows; shared partition. 

Partition #6 (Logical-4), size: 2GB
- Linux swap

This partitioning scheme may seem overly complicated. I partition this way for several reasons. Notice the MBR and GRUB are on different primary partitions. This allows me to install/uninstall Linux or Windows without any issues. I just need to remember to set the 'Active' primary partition accordingly. The system can only boot from a single primary partition at any given time. If GRUB is removed, the MBR partition must be set active in order to boot Windows. Running a "tri-boot" configuration (XP-7-*NIX), the root "/" is set as the active partition making GRUB the default boot manager for all operating systems.

With my current setup, either Windows partition can be reformatted at anytime without having to worry about breaking the other. As a precaution, I backup the 100MB partition to a Ghost image. Should the MBR become corrupt or Windows XP needs to be reinstalled (which results in the Win7 boot code being overwritten), I can restore the MBR to working order using this backup image. Alternately, I can also use bootsect.exe to accomplish the same thing. Since MBR and GRUB are kept separate from each other, messing around with the NTFS partitions doesn't affect my Linux installation, and vice-versa.

Whether you choose to install all operating systems on a single harddisk (like I have) or use a separate drive, doesn't really matter. The underlying concept is the same. The important thing to remember is to install GRUB to the root "/" partition instead of the partition holding the Master Boot Record (MBR). This will give you the most flexibility and eliminate startup issues should you want to remove Linux or reinstall Windows at some point in the future.

Edited by Supernova

How can I make a bootable USB stick with an Ubuntu download? Actually, I may be asking this the wrong way. I want a bootable USB sick as an installer in lieu of a CD.

Any place locally to buy a CD? I was all over Pantip today and no one had anything newer than 8.1.

I want to install on a spare HD and hopefully run an XP emulation as well. I understand that is a feature in 9.1?

Edited by klikster

"Easy" huh? :)

ote that the USB stick should be at least 8 MB in size. If you follow the section called “Copying the files — the flexible way” and want to include an Ubuntu ISO image on the stick, you will need enough space for the ISO as well.

Copying the files — the easy way

There is an all-in-one file netboot/boot.img.gz which contains all the installer files (including the kernel) as well as syslinux and its configuration file.

To use this image you only have to extract it directly to a partition on your USB stick:

# zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdX1

Copying the files — the flexible way

If you like more flexibility or just want to know what's going on, you should use the following method to put the files on your stick. One advantage of using this method is that — if the capacity of your USB stick is large enough — you have the option of copying a full CD ISO image to it.

Partitioning the USB stick

We will show how to set up the memory stick to use the first partition, instead of the entire device.

"Kernel, syslinux, Partition, ISO Image....."

For me as a simple user, all this is like a blank wall...

Isn't there some way to download the program, unzip ( or not) and just = press: "Install", and the OS (Ubuntu) will just install itself?

1. Download the iso image

2. Burn the iso image (If you find the above two step too technical, go to ubuntu website and order a free Ubuntu Cd for FREE)

3. Boot the CD

4.Click the install icon in the Ubuntu and follow the instructions

5.Play some Sudoku or browse the web in Live Ubuntu

6. Operating system will be installed in leass than 30 minutes . It can't be any easy than this.

1. Download the iso image

2. Burn the iso image (If you find the above two step too technical, go to ubuntu website and order a free Ubuntu Cd for FREE)

3. Boot the CD

4.Click the install icon in the Ubuntu and follow the instructions

5.Play some Sudoku or browse the web in Live Ubuntu

6. Operating system will be installed in leass than 30 minutes . It can't be any easy than this.

Thanks!

Ordered already...confused by (to me) unusual terms,

as they seem nothing new to many, to me they are "Bohemian"!

I am still waiting for someone offering LINUX LESSONS / how to set it up and keep it running / for the inexperienced/clueless Computer-Dummy-crowd here in BKK ^^

Driving a car, does one need to know how it is build, how the steel is mined, processed, milled, spray painted, upholstered, tuned, engine designed, what means "torque" and all the myriads of other specifications... surrounding it's technology?

It seems it's the case with Linux distributions..... :)

I would be using it for long if I only could find a proper "idiot-proof" - none linux geek - intro to this OS!

Edited by Samuian

Thanks Supernova for your idea, but I would appreciate a little elaboration on "how to install both operating systems". I have fdisk my harddrive as you, exception windows xp (under xp with partition magic). But how now to install the MBR & GRUB etc. into the righ partitions?

Will appreciate your answer!

thks,

harry

I have three hdd's in my computer. The first harddisk (80GB) holds all operating systems and is partitioned as follows:

Partition #1 (Primary-1), size: 100MB
  - NTFS
  - This is the MBR. Reserved exclusively for Windows boot files (ntldr, bootmgr, boot.ini). 

Partition #2 (Primary-2), size: 10GB
  - EXT3
  - Linux root "/". GRUB is installed to this partition and is used to boot the system.

------- EXTENDED -------

Partition #3 (Logical-1), size: 15GB
  - NTFS
  - Windows XP

Partition #4 (Logical-2), size: 30GB
  - NTFS
  - Windows 7 

Partition #5 (Logical-3), size: 18GB
  - EXT3
  - Linux Home "/home". Common data storage for both Linux and Windows; shared partition. 

Partition #6 (Logical-4), size: 2GB
  - Linux swap

This partitioning scheme may seem overly complicated. I partition this way for several reasons. Notice the MBR and GRUB are on different primary partitions. This allows me to install/uninstall Linux or Windows without any issues. I just need to remember to set the 'Active' primary partition accordingly. The system can only boot from a single primary partition at any given time. If GRUB is removed, the MBR partition must be set active in order to boot Windows. Running a "tri-boot" configuration (XP-7-*NIX), the root "/" is set as the active partition making GRUB the default boot manager for all operating systems.

With my current setup, either Windows partition can be reformatted at anytime without having to worry about breaking the other. As a precaution, I backup the 100MB partition to a Ghost image. Should the MBR become corrupt or Windows XP needs to be reinstalled (which results in the Win7 boot code being overwritten), I can restore the MBR to working order using this backup image. Alternately, I can also use bootsect.exe to accomplish the same thing. Since MBR and GRUB are kept separate from each other, messing around with the NTFS partitions doesn't affect my Linux installation, and vice-versa.

Whether you choose to install all operating systems on a single harddisk (like I have) or use a separate drive, doesn't really matter. The underlying concept is the same. The important thing to remember is to install GRUB to the root "/" partition instead of the partition holding the Master Boot Record (MBR). This will give you the most flexibility and eliminate startup issues should you want to remove Linux or reinstall Windows at some point in the future.

The Master Boot Record (MBR) should be on your Windows XP partition (C:) by default. DO NOT attempt to move the MBR. The safest way to get the MBR installed to a dedicated partition is to start over...

To install GRUB boot loader to the Linux root "/" or drive of your choice, access the Advanced setup options (scroll down to Step 9).

The Master Boot Record (MBR) should be on your Windows XP partition (C:) by default. DO NOT attempt to move the MBR.

I don't understand.... you made a 100MB partition for the MBR and a 30GB partition for windows 7... The install for windows doesn't give an option to choose your MBR location, only where to install w7!?

The safest way to get the MBR installed to a dedicated partition is to start over...

Sorry, I have only basic knowledge on these not common tasks... :D allthugh my friends think I'm a computer "expert" :)

To install GRUB boot loader to the Linux root "/" or drive of your choice, access the Advanced setup options (scroll down to Step 9).

Above comment also applies for the linux install procedure.

Any step by step tutorial starting from partitioning on to full functional operating systems?

I don't want to bother you to much... :D

Thanks again,

harry

I don't understand.... you made a 100MB partition for the MBR and a 30GB partition for windows 7... The install for windows doesn't give an option to choose your MBR location, only where to install w7!?

No, you can't choose where to install the MBR. When you install Windows, the MBR will always be written to the first primary partition of the harddisk.

Let me ask... Whilst installing Windows 7, were you already running another operating system (e.g. Windows XP) beforehand? If so, was it installed before or after you created the 100MB partition? << This makes all the difference and will determine how your dual/tri-boot configuration will take shape.

Assuming you were already running Windows XP and are going to install Windows 7 as a second operating system, Windows 7 will overwrite any existing MBR it detects. So if you had XP installed before you made changes to your partition configuration, the newly created 100MB partition cannot be used to hold the MBR; thus, it becomes useless. Do you follow?

Any step by step tutorial starting from partitioning on to full functional operating systems?

I don't want to bother you to much...

I can give you a step-by-step tutorial, but first, I need to know some details about your configuration. Specifically, what operating systems are installed (if any), and the order in which they were installed relative to partitioning your harddisk.

I used partition magic under xp and only left my data partition intact (I moved it to the end of the drive). If necessary I also can remove the data partition as I do have back-ups.

I therefor think that all operating systems, ubuntu & xp are removed. The 100 MBR is the first partition.

I think it is best to install first w7 and then ubuntu, right?

thanks again!

harry

No, you can't choose where to install the MBR. When you install Windows, the MBR will always be written to the first primary partition of the harddisk.

Let me ask... Whilst installing Windows 7, were you already running another operating system (e.g. Windows XP) beforehand? If so, was it installed before or after you created the 100MB partition? << This makes all the difference and will determine how your dual/tri-boot configuration will take shape.

Assuming you were already running Windows XP and are going to install Windows 7 as a second operating system, Windows 7 will overwrite any existing MBR it detects. So if you had XP installed before you made changes to your partition configuration, the newly created 100MB partition cannot be used to hold the MBR; thus, it becomes useless. Do you follow?

I don't want to bother you to much...

I can give you a step-by-step tutorial, but first, I need to know some details about your configuration. Specifically, what operating systems are installed (if any), and the order in which they were installed relative to partitioning your harddisk.