3g Internet

Billfo

Since I am one of the very few people who are working with one of the providers, here's the list of the official GSM 3G networks currently available in Thailand:

- AIS, 900MHz, Chiang Mai-Central World-Hua Hin-Pattaya, Commercial but activation needed

- DTAC, 850MHz, Central Bangkok, Closed Network (Testing)

- True, 850MHz, Central Bangkok-Pattaya, Commercial no activation needed

Thanks for the info. I am coming back to LOS with my t-mobile Andriod open jailbroke and think I will get an AIS sim in BKK for 3G but I will only be in BKK for couple of weeks then to Chiangmai. I will talk to AIS in BKK and get the scoop and try one. Anyone anything else to add? I will report findings here as I arrive in early January.

• Technology WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM
  • Band WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900
  • Manufacturer: Google Android G1 and a G3 for the wife HTC
  • Part Number:myTouch3GBLKTMB

Hope you enjoy 3G in Bkk. AIS has a very limited access to 3G in Bangkok... I think only Siam Paragon, Siam and Central World are under coverage at the moment. But in Chiang Mai, you should be able to enjoy the speed of up to 7.2Mbps. I normally reach to around 4-5Mbps which is not bad at all for Thailand :)

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the AIS 3G earlier this month. I've been pretty happy so far. Not the fastest but well worth the convenience around Chiang Mai.

When I bought the card/ USB, I thought I got all the information I needed. Unfortunately, my poor Thai language skills being what they are, I didn't quite understand the refill process.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to refill my package? I thought it was as easy as going to 7-11 and buying a 12Call refill card/ activation code. This, sadly, doesn't seem to work.

Thanks ahead of time.

I bought the AIS 3G earlier this month. I've been pretty happy so far. Not the fastest but well worth the convenience around Chiang Mai.

When I bought the card/ USB, I thought I got all the information I needed. Unfortunately, my poor Thai language skills being what they are, I didn't quite understand the refill process.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to refill my package? I thought it was as easy as going to 7-11 and buying a 12Call refill card/ activation code. This, sadly, doesn't seem to work.

Thanks ahead of time.

It does for me as I'm on AIS 3G air card in Doi Saket. So If your having a problem call 1175 they have excellent English techs or go to their office for assistance.

Anyone lives in Nornhoi and is using the service?

We are moving out of our rental to another place 10 meters down the road. So we have to move the line, or leave it (still under contract) for the next renter.

Running around circles between TOT, TT&T, and 3BB at the airport plaza, we finally learned that we have to:

1) Got to TT&T, tell them you want to move the TOT phone line. It's at least 10 days or so.

2) When they are ready, go to TOT to pay 16xx THB. They will then come to move the line.

3) Once you paid up, got to 3BB and pay 15xx THB to move the Internet. Don't know what's there to move?

That is unbelievably expensive to move my Internet service.

We may need it for one month or two, so I am thinking I should just leave it for the next renter and sign up for the AIS 3G service, paying 3K+ for that modem.

I need it for work, is the 3G service good enough in Nornhoi? Too bad you can't really test it. While in Bangkok, I used the Solomon Edge device in Rangsit and it was poor, very slow when you are near a major center like FuturePark; near Dreamworld, you cannot even get a signal. So I'm a little apprehensive.

Thanks

Matt

That's near GlobalHouse?

As far as I know it works around the second ring road sometimes even beyond third ring road.

Give me the exact location on google maps or GPS coords and I go there and make a speedtest for you, I have a HTC touch pro 2 and can connect it via bluetooth or USB cable.

Here (Mae Hia) I get 1.5 Mbit down, but of course only for servers inside thailand.

That's near GlobalHouse?

As far as I know it works around the second ring road sometimes even beyond third ring road.

Give me the exact location on google maps or GPS coords and I go there and make a speedtest for you, I have a HTC touch pro 2 and can connect it via bluetooth or USB cable.

Here (Mae Hia) I get 1.5 Mbit down, but of course only for servers inside thailand.

Thanks mate, it's not near GlobalHouse but the Palm Springs Place near the old Big C. Coordinates 18.760012,99.021535.

Was hoping to get something better than 1.5 Mbps around here, especially for international traffic.

thanks

Matt

Ok here some Speedtests (all to Bangkok, Ping around 120ms):

My home (Mae Hia on Canal Road) 1.5 Mbit down, Signal 5/5

Inside Moat near Tapae 1.8 Mbit down, Signal 5/5

Under the Bridge of Second Ring crossing railway 2.2 Mbit down, Signal 3/5

So you should have no problem near Palm Springs.

Speedtest to Frankfurt, Germany, Ping 430ms was around 1.2 Mbit down but that will drop a lot in the evening and on weekend.

Upload was always between 150-250 kbit.

Dont forget AIS has increased the prices by around 300-400% this month.

10 GB is at 1799 THB now. (I still have 30GB at 1500 THB).

If you drop down to EDGE they charge a lot more: "usage in 2G coverage area is charged 100 THB/1 MB", thats about 100000 THB per GB.

Since 3G sometimes falls back to EDGE I would strongly advise to use only prepaid SIMs or prepare for a huge surprise coming with the phonebill.

These benchmarks apply to connections within Thailand. The speed is lower for international servers. I have toyed with the idea of using 3G in addition to my CDMA connection now that the network is expanded beyond city limits, but a friend just informed me that AIS is about to triple their prices for 3G HSDPA services. He quoted the following prices from a leaflet (the official website still has the old prices):

129 THB = 100 MB

399 THB = 500 MB

699 THB = 1 GB

999 THB = 2GB

1399 THB = 5 GB

1799 THB = 10 GB

All of these rates are also limited by time (1 month). Hence, I decided to give 3G a pass for the moment.

The official map with network coverage can be found here: http://www.ais.co.th/3g/EN/Coverage.html

The (apparently outdated) price list: http://www.ais.co.th/3g/EN/Tariff.html

Please note the second remark below the price list. If you use the connection outside the 3G zone, then 100 THB is charged for the transfer of each MB (1 THB inside for traffic exceeding the limit). That means watching an average YouTube movie clip costs between 2000 and 5000 THB! Better keep an eye on the network status display.

Cheers, CMX

I have to agree that AIS has over priced them selfs but since I'm on their original plane of 30GB at 1500 baht they well keep me on it as long as I top up before the monthly end date, which I have. On the other hand if and when the government ever gets its act together will the price go up or go down?

I have to agree that AIS has over priced them selfs but since I'm on their original plane of 30GB at 1500 baht they well keep me on it as long as I top up before the monthly end date, which I have. On the other hand if and when the government ever gets its act together will the price go up or go down?

I signed up for the 15gig/900 bht plan about a month ago. just went in a few dys ago to top up for december and was told the prices were going up. They said they had to call BKK to authorize my original rate for the new month, and could not gurantee how long i would keep getting it. Was also asked to hand write letter of request for my rate? after 15 minutes of waiting , was finally given my original rate....am nervous about next month as it sounded shaky.....should keep this thread going..as i warned them about the response to the new rates (non-feasible)

I signed up for the 15gig/900 bht plan about a month ago. just went in a few dys ago to top up for december and was told the prices were going up. They said they had to call BKK to authorize my original rate for the new month, and could not gurantee how long i would keep getting it. Was also asked to hand write letter of request for my rate? after 15 minutes of waiting , was finally given my original rate....am nervous about next month as it sounded shaky.....should keep this thread going..as i warned them about the response to the new rates (non-feasible)

Interesting I had no such problem when I was in there the other day as I'm on 30G at 1500 baht. Keep us posted.

Im still on the promotion 30GB for 799 Bath and so far no problem only the AIS computer can not separate package from units and that sall.

Got my Credit raised to 2000 a month so the computer hopefully will not shut me down if I use the phone that is connected to the 3G router.

Edited by SM7WGP

Went to top up at Telewiz today and got a bit of a fright when I saw the new rates. They called Bangkok and agent told me I could keep my original rate (B900 for 15GB) for another five months. Then have to pay new rates. B1799 for 10GB? No chance. Pity bout the price hike as it's a good service.

I know I'm going to sound dumb on this post but can anyone explain...

I visited the AIS office a couple of weeks ago got on there 3g package 2mb at close on 1,000 baht :) they couldn't find my address in doi saket after poring over the map for around 15 mins so they put me on there Edge package.

Now I'm sitting using the computer in the coffee shop in Taweechol because my package needs topping up and I can't be ar@ed to go into town.

I understood that I could only dowload up to 2mb but the internet connection would last one month I'm obviously wrong so what's the score?

I visited the AIS office a couple of weeks ago got on there 3g package 2mb at close on 1,000 baht :) they couldn't find my address in doi saket after poring over the map for around 15 mins so they put me on there Edge package.

Now I'm sitting using the computer in the coffee shop in Taweechol because my package needs topping up and I can't be ar@ed to go into town.

I understood that I could only dowload up to 2mb but the internet connection would last one month I'm obviously wrong so what's the score?

If you are on the air card you buy AIS 1-2go top up cards. If your on their wireless they bill you. you do not have to into town. I'm also in Doi Saket and I'm on 30GB at 1500 baht per month, air card and just topped up bought my cards at the 7-Eleven.

If you are on the air card you buy AIS 1-2go top up cards. If your on their wireless they bill you. you do not have to into town. I'm also in Doi Saket and I'm on 30GB at 1500 baht per month, air card and just topped up bought my cards at the 7-Eleven.

I thing I'm on the air card, the women who sold me the package had similiar English skills to my Thai and we muddled through.

If I'm paying 1,000 for 2GB and your paying 1,500 for 30GB it looks like I'm not getting to good a deal, I take it I can just go into the 7-Eleven and ask for a 30GB top up card and pay the same amount as you?

I thing I'm on the air card, the women who sold me the package had similiar English skills to my Thai and we muddled through.

If I'm paying 1,000 for 2GB and your paying 1,500 for 30GB it looks like I'm not getting to good a deal, I take it I can just go into the 7-Eleven and ask for a 30GB top up card and pay the same amount as you?

It sounds like you are on their new package. Go to 7-Eleven and buy 1000 baht of AIS top up cards and renew on their site. My plane is on their original start up and is not available any more. Call AIS at 1175 excellent english.

Edited by gotlost

It sounds like you are on their new package. Go to 7-Eleven and buy 1000 baht of AIS top up cards and renew on their site. My plane is on their original start up and is not available any more.

Thank for your help, 7-Eleven it is then :D

The fact that they grant the old prices to existing customers is very Thai-style of doing business, but I wonder how long they will be able to do that. I mean, they have TRIPLED(!) their prices. One does not need to be a fortune teller to predict that their customer base will reduce to a fraction of the current number.

Cheers, CMX

Just a follow-up.... Gotlost- thanks for the 1175 suggestion. Made the call and my problem was easily solved. 7-11 and 1,2 Call cards wast the way to go. Cheers for the info!

Edited by brycat

I have had 3G from AIS using a HTC Diamond cell phone. I am less that satisfied with both. In fact, more than once, I have considered taking a hammer to the phone and cancelling the cell phone service.

I would pay the 4000 baht for the new line. Get the premium international plan. ADSL internet speeds are quite fast in Chiang Mai. Mine is blazing! I use a proxy to watch stateside TV shows and have no problem watching ABC, CBS and NBC from here in Chiang Mai.

• 1 year later...

Apologize if there's a later thread with the info I want..... got this one thru Google.

I'm north of Doi Saket, near Kat Mai, 1500 yards or so south of Tao Gardens. I've been using CAT CDMA EV-DO (whatever that means) for two years of so. Beats previous dial-up, but most of the time too slow for YouTube streaming, etc.

Anybody have a better wireless plan, like AIS 3G, in terms of speed? Also, when I last checked, ADSL was not an option in my area. Anybody have a new read on that? If so, what kind of speeds are being realized?

Thanks. (For 95% of what I want, CAT is fine. But just wondering if I've been sleeping while better aircards, etal, have passed me by....).