3g Internet

Billfo

Hi,

I've been looking at getting the internet and I've been told by both TOT and TT&T I have to pay 4,000 baht to have the telephone lined installed even though the tenants before me had a telephone line. So my other option is the new 3G internet service. Does anyone know if it's good or bad? Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Hi,

I've been looking at getting the internet and I've been told by both TOT and TT&T I have to pay 4,000 baht to have the telephone lined installed even though the tenants before me had a telephone line. So my other option is the new 3G internet service. Does anyone know if it's good or bad? Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

I just got the 3g service last week from AIS and i am happy with it. Once in a while it will stall or be slow, but mostly good and convenient. Fast enough to watch streaming video,

I have a question for the 3G subscribers; (maybe a dumb question, sorry). From the brochure it seems like we choose how much digital information we think we

will need to download in a month period. (From 500 MB at B100, to 30 GB at B1500) Am I understanding this correctly? Would'nt streaming video use up your

Gigs pretty fast? If I'm understanding it correctly once you exceed your allowance they charge you B1 per Megabyte downloaded? Not including vat either...

Is it just me or does this seem a very strange method seeing as the other so called Broadband suppliers have no limit on downloads?

Would'nt a streaming video left on all night (for example if you fell asleep and forgot to close the connection) easily exceed 10 or 20 gigs in a single night?

I definitely could be misunderstanding this, so please feel free to correct me....Thank you.

I have a question for the 3G subscribers; (maybe a dumb question, sorry). From the brochure it seems like we choose how much digital information we think we

will need to download in a month period. (From 500 MB at B100, to 30 GB at B1500) Am I understanding this correctly?

Correct

Would'nt streaming video use up your

Gigs pretty fast? If I'm understanding it correctly once you exceed your allowance they charge you B1 per Megabyte downloaded? Not including vat either...

I think you just get cut off when you exceed your allowance. Becuase they don't take your credit card number or anything. It seems to be just prepaid, just like a normal phone sim card. I started with a 3gb a month but had to change after about 2 weeks cause I had used the 3gb up. I changed to the 15gb for 900b.

Is it just me or does this seem a very strange method seeing as the other so called Broadband suppliers have no limit on downloads?

Would'nt a streaming video left on all night (for example if you fell asleep and forgot to close the connection) easily exceed 10 or 20 gigs in a single night?

I definitely could be misunderstanding this, so please feel free to correct me....Thank you.

Im pretty sure most decent suppliers have limits, if they don't then I would be pretty sceptical about their level of service. Having a limit allows them to accurately purchase their bandwidth in advance. And stops people from just downloading movies all day slowing everyone else down, and costing the company alot of money.

BTW I had my first 1 hour of downtime last night. It just wouldn't connect for some reason. I didn't ring them up or anything, it just fixed itself after about an hour.

Had same problem with ttnt, they told me the last tennant in my house didnt pay a 3,800 baht internet bill. They wouldnt let me make a new contract in my name, they wanted me to pay the ex tennants bill of 3,800 to re-connect my internet.

Obviously i never paid and looking at options elsewhere...

I'm getting about the same as the shown speedtest result (most the times around 1.5 Mbit) but thats inside thailand. Try it to Europe and you will see that AIS 3G isn't faster than a TOT DSL. So there is no need to have both. AIS 3G is great if you can't get DSL though.

There is a 3G service from DTAC in ChiangMai? never heard of it...

I'm getting about the same as the shown speedtest result (most the times around 1.5 Mbit) but thats inside thailand. Try it to Europe and you will see that AIS 3G isn't faster than a TOT DSL. So there is no need to have both. AIS 3G is great if you can't get DSL though.

Chiang Mai has the only 3G service in Thailand at the moment The only supplier is AIS. This may change after December.

Where are you getting your information, gotlost? I believe even AIS also has 3G service in Chonburi. I believe other companies have 3G service, albeit very limited in coverage area and full 3G speed.

You can look at the coverage area maps on the AIS Super 3G site.

MSPain

Chiang Mai has the only 3G service in Thailand at the moment The only supplier is AIS. This may change after December.

Edited by hml367

Where are you getting your information, gotlost? I believe even AIS also has 3G service in Chonburi. I believe other companies have 3G service, albeit very limited in coverage area and full 3G speed.

MSPain

Information is from AIS, Nation News another source that we can not mention on this form and the Thai government. CM is the test are in Thailand for 3G AIS was going to offer in Pattaya and their broacher that I have shows the area but they canceled. The next area to receive this service is supposed to be Bangkok where at the moment you can buy a 24k baht 3G phone but one small problem, no provider

607775509.png

I didn;t know they cancelled Chonburi.

What about CAT CDMA? Isn't that 3G?

I am on the edge of the AIS 3G signal on the road to Hang Dong, about 7 km out of town and it is acceptable, but not full signal all the time.

And thanks for the help.

MSPain

PS Do you know if the limited coverage as a test in Bangkok has also been cancelled?

Edited by hml367

I am on the edge of the AIS 3G signal on the road to Hang Dong, about 7 km out of town and it is acceptable, but not full signal all the time.

And thanks for the help.

MSPain

PS Do you know if the limited coverage as a test in Bangkok has also been cancelled?

Yes I'm out in Doi Saket and the signal is not full strength but is acceptable. As I said no other provider has 3G only AIS. No ifs, no buts, no ands. Glade to help.

gotlost,

There was an article in Bangkok Post dated 9/9/9 that said DTAC had launched 3G service on the 850 MHz frequency for a limited test. Did that happen?

MSPain

BTW Was your 1.67 download speed while you were in Doi Saket?

Edited by hml367

I have the 3G - another good thing about it is you can take the dongle and put it into any other computer - it will transfer the software automatically and give you a service - great if you have more than one laptop (as I have).

Only downside is i dropped my laptop twice and Im on my 3rd (!) dongle at 3,200 a go

A small enlightening AIS, DTAC,12Call is all the same consortium.

And yes 3G also exist in Chonburi/Pattaya witch is the main station in Thailand and then linked to Chiangmai.

And yes I would rater go for the 3G even if it not works overall then have GPRS/edge witch gives you 180k instead.

For second you can take it with you if move somewhere else in Thailand.

But Remember the 3G will not work in Europe or US , not outside Thailand different frequensie

Edited by SM7WGP

A small enlightening AIS, DTAC,12Call is all the same consortium.

And yes 3G also exist in Chonburi/Pattaya witch is the main station in Thailand and then liked to Chiangmai.

And yes I would rater go for the 3G even if it not works overall then have GPRS/edge witch gives you 180k instead.

For second you can take it with you if move somewhere else in Thailand.

But Remember the 3G will not work in Europe or US , not outside Thailand different frequensie

DTAC is NOT a part of AIS. AIS is the sole proprietor of 12CAll. DTAC is a separate entity and never has been associated with AIS. Now AIS 3G may have some technical support in Pattaya but it is only being offered in Chang Mai at the moment. Bangkok is next.

According to the AIS leaflets there is 3G service in ChiangMai, Pattaya/Chonburi and Hua Hin. I can only confirm ChiangMai till now.

The SIM has to be activated for 3G, or you will get only EDGE. But when I insert my german SIM I can see 3G/HSDPA (but I won't use it as it can easily eat up 500 Euro per hour while roaming).

In central world BKK I saw many displays anouncing TRUE WIFI and TRUE 3G, but when I connected to the TRUE network there was only EDGE Service again.

If you live at the border of the covered area, you may use an external Antenna for 3G, if your phone or USB stick supports this. But remember this is 3G on 900 MHz, so a 2.1 GHZ UMTS Antenna won't help. You need a GSM900 antenna.

information on 3G.

arr_green.gifSubscribeOperator SourceThis is the introduction of the live profile taken from the Operator Source service. The premium content has been removed from this profile. You can see a full live profile from this service or go to the Operator Source homepage for more information..

7 Oct 2009Thailand Broadband Overview

The overthrow of the Thailand’s Shinawatra government in a military coup in September 2006 had a significant impact on Thailand’s telecommunications sector. The appointment by the post-coup government of a Minister for Information and Communication Technology (ICT Minister) was also significant. Following the appointment, the minister announced plans to roll back the privatisation of the two state-owned telcos and to restore some of their regulatory powers.

Despite a slowing of economic growth, the post-coup government has worked to stimulate the economy, looking to initiatives such as free trade agreements as part of the solution. Thailand’s telecommunications sector has continued to grow, and building on the last 5 years, the country’s mobile telephone market in particular has continued strong annual growth rates.

One sector of the market that has been particularly popular in Thailand for some years is the Internet. In the 2005, the number of broadband subscribers increased dramatically and this has continued through into 2009. Thailand was one of five Asian countries ranked among the world’s top 10 fastest-growing consumer broadband markets in 2008.

Despite this growth, Thailand’s broadband penetration remains low with only 2.2 per cent of households having broadband connections in early 2009. Thailand also has low PC ownership rates, low ARPUs, expensive international bandwidth and powerful incumbents that do not have any strong incentive to move forward or open up their network. However, the Thailand Ministry of Information and Communications Technology called on operators to reduce their broadband tariffs by 50 per cent to provide more people with Internet access. The roll-out of 3G enhanced by HSPA and WiMAX in 2010 will greatly improve the availability of broadband services in Thailand. Also, the cost of IP transit is going down with several new fibre optic undersea cable systems being rolled out, chief of which is the AAG Asia America gateway and Flag, led by Reliance in India aimed at improving connectivity between Asia and Europe. The end result for Thailand will be lower costs and improved performance.

The two incumbent telecom players in Thailand are the state-owned Telecom Organisation of Thailand Corporation (TOT) and CAT Telecom. They compete in the same service segments which include Internet, data services, VoIP and long-distance dialling. CAT owns Thailand’s international telecommunications infrastructure including its international gateways, satellite and submarine cable networks connections.

Currently however, Thailand’s largest broadband Internet provider is True Corporation, with 819,493 broadband subscribers in Q1 2009. True Corporation Public Company Limited (formerly Telecom Asia) is a subsidiary of the Charoen Pokphand group. In April 2004 Telecom Asia underwent a name change and internal reorganisation into three distinct departments dealing with Home, Small and Medium Enterprises and Corporate subscribers. The company launched broadband Internet services via ADSL in early 2000. True controls Thailand’s largest cable TV provider, TrueVisions, its largest ISP, TrueOnline and its third-largest mobile operator TrueMove. True Online provides a wide range of Internet services including ADSL, Cable Modem, G.shdsl/SDSL, leased line. MPLS and Wi-Fi.

In the mobile sector, like most developing nations, Thailand is experiencing strong growth with mobile subscribers surpassing fixed-line subscribers. In April 2005, the country had a mobile penetration rate of 50 per cent with approximately 30 million mobile subscribers. Despite the 2006 coup, Thailand’s mobile market approached 45 million subscribers in early 2007, with a penetration rate close to 70 per cent. By mid 2008, Thailand reported a mature 2G market with 56.2 million mobile subscribers (98.2 per cent of them GSM), representing a mobile penetration of 88.3 per cent, one of the highest in the Asia Pacific region. Thailand ended 2008 with 61.82 million mobile subscribers, and a penetration rate of 96 per cent.

AIS is the leader in the mobile market with 27.6 million subscribers at the end of Q2 2009, followed by DTAC (Total Access Communication) with 18.95 million subscribers. TA Orange/True Move, owned by True Corporation, is the country’s third largest mobile operator with 15 million mobile subscribers at Q2 2009. Smaller players include Thai Mobile (a joint venture between TOT Plc and CAT Telecom) and Hutch Thailand (Hutchison CAT Wireless Multimedia (HCWM)), a joint venture between CAT Telecom and Hong Kong’s Hutchison Telecommunications International Ltd (HTIL).

AIS, DTAC and True Move utilize GSM technology. Hutch is a CDMA provider, and Thai Mobile a Digital PCS provider. Therefore, mobile phones in Thailand are easily available at competitive prices and with a wide range of options. Most of the providers have both prepaid and subscription options as choices for customers.

In an attempt to increase its direct service revenues in the mobile sector, in mid 2009, CAT’s board called for renewed discussions with Hutchison CAT Wireless Multimedia Ltd., with a view to merging the two operator’s CDMA networks. At the end of Q2 2009, CAT had 228,586 mobile subscribers and Hutchison CAT Wireless Multimedia had just over 1 million subscribers. While Hutchison CAT is a joint venture between the two companies, the joint venture leases its network from BFTK, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hutchison Telecommunications International Ltd. Both operators are growing but are not making inroads into the market share of Thailand’s top three mobile providers. A consolidated CDMA operator could provide a stronger proposition in the face of hostile economic conditions.

AIS, DTAC, and Thai Mobile hold licences for 3G networks although disputes between state-owned CAT and TOT has delayed the development of 3G. At the end of 2007, Thai Mobile was the only operator using a global 3G cellular technology platform, having had the 1900 megahertz spectrum set aside before the Thai regulator was established in 2004. In May 2008 AIS launched its USD 5.3 million digital 3G service along with a commercial trial in the city of Chiang Mai, with a nationwide launch in late 2008. 3G adoption rates will be slow until the regulator licenses the 2.1 MHz frequency. To date, only the 850 MHz and 900 MHz frequencies have been approved. Licensing the 2.1 GHz band will help close the digital divide between urban and rural areas. DTAC, AIS and True Move have been rolling out infrastructure in anticipation.

In January 2009 national regulator announced it would auction 2.1 GHz 3G mobile licences in Q3 2009. This was followed by announcements of infrastructure investments by major operators. TOT will spend THB 3 billion on the upgrade of its 2G network with 500 base stations in Bangkok into 3G and planned to roll-out the new service in 2009. TOT’s 2G network, operated by its 100 per cent owned ACT Mobile is leased to Thai Mobile to provide the mobile services on the 1900 MHz bandwidth. The upgrade of the 1900 MHz bandwidth under the Thai Mobile brand would complement TOT’s THB 29 billion 3G nationwide network project involving 3,800 base stations. TOT has asked AIS to share base stations to quicken its plans to launch 3G across the country within two years.

In February 2009 True Move sad it will invest THB 10 billion in 3G services nationwide during 2009 and as of mid 2009 is in talks with a number of operators in Europe and Asia for a potential strategic partnership to fund its 3G operations. In Q1 2009, CAT Telecom also announced it will spend an additional THB 1.4 billion (USD 41 million) on the expansion of 3G CDMA2000 1xEV-DO services across the 51 provinces covered by its CAT CDMA mobile network. CAT hopes to gain 500,000 network users, up from around 300,000 at Q1 2009. CAT had earlier made an investment of THB 7.2 billion to roll-out its northern/southern provincial CDMA network, whilst its joint venture with HTIL – Hutchison CAT Wireless Multimedia (HCWM) – covers Bangkok and 25 central provinces. ‘Hutch’ branded CDMA services are offered over the central network, which is leased from HTIL subsidiary BFKT.

However, in April 2009, the Thai regulator announced that the long awaited 3G license awards are likely to be delayed until Q1 2010 due to the country’s political crisis. Previously, a public auction of four licences was expected by the end of 2009, possibly as early as October 2009. The country’s three privately owned GSM operators, AIS, DTAC and True are hoping to roll-out commercial 2.1 GHZ W-CDMA/HSPA services in the first half of 2010, but the delay would push this date back until later in 2010. All three private operators are trialling 3G on a small scale, whilst state-owned TOT, the only 2.1 GHz spectrum holder via its subsidiary Thai Mobile, is planning to offer wholesale 3G capacity to the trio by the end of 2009.

Following the regulator’s delay in 3G spectrum issuing, in June 2009 the AIS halted its expansion plans for its 3G network until official licensing to avoid congestion on the network. AIS has so far made an investment of THB 60 million in the 3G network.

Since I am one of the very few people who are working with one of the providers, here's the list of the official GSM 3G networks currently available in Thailand:

- AIS, 900MHz, Chiang Mai-Central World-Hua Hin-Pattaya, Commercial but activation needed

- DTAC, 850MHz, Central Bangkok, Closed Network (Testing)

- True, 850MHz, Central Bangkok-Pattaya, Commercial no activation needed

Since I am one of the very few people who are working with one of the providers, here's the list of the official GSM 3G networks currently available in Thailand:

- AIS, 900MHz, Chiang Mai-Central World-Hua Hin-Pattaya, Commercial but activation needed

Thank you oh great one. :)

CDMA2000 is a hybrid 2.5G / 3G technology of mobile telecommunications standards that use CDMA, a multiple access scheme for digital radio, to send voice, data, and signaling data (such as a dialed telephone number) between mobile phones and cell sites. CDMA2000 is considered a 2.5G technology in 1xRTT and a 3G technology in EVDO. CDMA2000 is also known as IS-2000.

3G

International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000), better known as 3G or 3rd Generation, is a family of standards for mobile telecommunications defined by the International Telecommunication Union,[1] which includes GSM EDGE, UMTS, and CDMA2000 as well as DECT and WiMAX. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephone, video calls, and wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Compared to 2G and 2.5G services, 3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates (up to 14.0 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s on the uplink with HSPA+). Thus, 3G networks enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_phone_standards

will need to download in a month period. (From 500 MB at B100, to 30 GB at B1500) Am I understanding this correctly? Would'nt streaming video use up your

I don't know for sure but if Thailand is anything like the rest of the world then every broadband package has a limit. It is either advertised, or it is built into the 'Fair Use Policy'.

In the UK, providers claiming to offer unlimited broadband seem to set their fair use policy limit at somewhere in the region of 40g, but it is all built into the Ts and Cs, and nobody ever really knows for sure what the actual limit is when a fair use policy is in action. If a broadband supplier fails to mention either a set limit, or advertise itself as unlimited, you should be sure to look carefully at the small print, as they are likely to be trying to hide a small download allowance. This doesn't happen in the UK, but it might in Thailand, I don't know.

But to give you an idea of how much downloading that actually is, 40g roughly translates to around 8000 music tracks, or 55 full length, high quality movies. Youtube videos are of less quality, so on a 40g limit you could budget for at least 100 hours of youtube. No need to worry if you leave something running. Even the most hardened pornography addict would struggle to watch online video for four hours every single day. The only people who need worry are those who need to download a lot for business, and online gamers.

For the average keen internet user, who checks his emails, the news, downloads some music, a movie or two, plays some games, watches youtube, posts on forums etc., i would say 10g is ample.

Edited by RoastLamb

And we beet are gums on 3G when Thailand is still setting on its ass. :)

Released on - 10/26/2009 1:44:29 PM We are marching slowly but surely towards fourth generation mobile telephony. This spring, Ericsson announced the installation of the first area of LTE networks in Stockholm. This name applies to the technology that will establish the specifications of future very high speed connections. The next step is now being taken with the development of USB devices to enable laptops to connect to the Swedish LTE network. That should be possible from March 2010.

The South Korean company Samsung is working on the project directly with Ericsson and will supply the accessories, which are being labelled as 4G. However, in reality it might be more appropriate to describe this technology as "proto-4G". Indeed, the real next-generation mobile network is not expected to come into operation until the end of 2011.

Thanks for the info. I am coming back to LOS with my t-mobile Andriod open jailbroke and think I will get an AIS sim in BKK for 3G but I will only be in BKK for couple of weeks then to Chiangmai. I will talk to AIS in BKK and get the scoop and try one. Anyone anything else to add? I will report findings here as I arrive in early January.

• Technology WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM
  • Band WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900
  • Manufacturer: Google Android G1 and a G3 for the wife HTC
  • Part Number:myTouch3GBLKTMB

"I don't know for sure but if Thailand is anything like the rest of the world then every broadband package has a limit. It is either advertised, or it is built into the 'Fair Use Policy'.

In the UK, providers claiming to offer unlimited broadband seem to set their fair use policy limit at somewhere in the region of 40g, but it is all built into the Ts and Cs, and nobody ever really knows for sure what the actual limit is when a fair use policy is in action. If a broadband supplier fails to mention either a set limit, or advertise itself as unlimited, you should be sure to look carefully at the small print, as they are likely to be trying to hide a small download allowance. This doesn't happen in the UK, but it might in Thailand, I don't know.

But to give you an idea of how much downloading that actually is, 40g roughly translates to around 8000 music tracks, or 55 full length, high quality movies. Youtube videos are of less quality, so on a 40g limit you could budget for at least 100 hours of youtube. No need to worry if you leave something running. Even the most hardened pornography addict would struggle to watch online video for four hours every single day. The only people who need worry are those who need to download a lot for business, and online gamers.

For the average keen internet user, who checks his emails, the news, downloads some music, a movie or two, plays some games, watches youtube, posts on forums etc., i would say 10g is ample."

Well... because I dont subscribe to any cable/satellite tv service because I feel a very large percentage of the programming is crap anyway, I subscribe to a usenet service to download all my multimedia entertainment. I prefer this method as I can pick and choose WHAT I want to watch and watch it WHEN I have time. You can find tons of mainstream shows on usenet. I easily download 20 gigs per month and the usenet service I use has the option of up to 100 gigs per month. To give you an example, a sporting event like 1 basketball game can be 1.5 gigs alone.

I've been using plain old TTT/Maxnet (previously maxnet, now BBB or something), cheapest option, B500/month, and I've been downloading 20 gigs/month at least with no problems or 'limit'.