Pressure Cooker?

kamp

I am going to Chiang Mai in December. Because of my gut disease I need to cook nearly all my food (so I will not eat the lovely thai food :)) in a pressure cooker. If I use a normal pot it takes very long time.

I have found a pressure cooker at Verasu but they was very expensive (10000 bath) and I would rather use those money on the kids at the orphanage I am going to.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheaper pressure cooker in chiang mai og bangkok?

In Central World it is a department store called "ZEN" as I remember. They have imported and thai pressure cooker.

The imported ones is expensive, I bought Zebra brand, made in Thailand. Next biggest model, around 2500 baht.

Have been using it weekly for two years, very positive experience so far :)

Would it be easier and cheaper to bring one from your home country? It would save you some worry.

10k baht sounds really, really expensive. Funnily enough, last week I saw a pressure cooker on sale here in Tokyo for about 1,200 baht which I thought was very cheap.

Hope you find a good one,

TheWalkingMan

I am going to a orphange for kids with HIV/aids and is bringing with my lots of cloths ++ And my pressure cooker is 3 kg so it is very heavy.

I have found that zebra have an online store so I can order if i want.

Laps - Central world is that in bangkok or chiang mai? I know about central in chiang mai.

Another much less expensive option -- if you are cooking beans, legumes, and the like and even meats -- is just to buy a slow-cooker and start your cooking a day ahead. The kidney beans widely available in Thailand come out very tender if soaked overnight and then slow cooked 12-24 hours.

Also, a cheap pressure-cooker is a potentially dangerous thing especially around kids.

I brought my own pressure cookers, 6 & 8 quart from the states. Mirro brand, been using them for over 30 years and my mother used them before giving them to me. O-rings and so forth still available from the states. Solidly built and the closet comparable cooker I have found is at Verasu. Verasu also gives a good guarantee with their products as well as spare parts.

If you are going to have something that has a lot of pressure, money should not be the main factor in buying one. Any where in the world, you get what you pay for. Considering what I have seen either in a local store or Verasu, I would rather pay the money for a good one just for safety's sake.

Compare it to the cooking gas cylinders that have been known to blow up. Before, they were using freon cylinders which were built for lower pressures.

Pay the money and you won't be disappointed. It will last for years.

I recommend buying a reliable unit before you come and take it as hand luggage...I've done this with a cooker and a meat grinder...

Thailand ain't got much available to buy to prepare western food and what there is is not reliable...a wok and a knife is all that's required for the local cuisine...

I know that the best is to bring my own cooker (Tefal from germany) but it is so heavy (6 lbs). I don't want to use 1/6 of my legal luggage weight on a pressure cooker when I can bring with me 30 t shirt in stead! (I am going to work at a kindergarden for tribal people).

I understand that you get what you pay but I have read several places that Zebra has good pressure cookers. But another person said Zebra was bad so I am getting very confused.

Right now my diet is very limited. I can only eat 2 types of squash, carrots and green beans + lean meat/fish. The vegetables need to be cooked at least 45 minutes because of the inflammation of my gut :)

I can contact thai airways and ask them if I can bring it with me in the hand luggage, but is is very big so I don't know if I am allowed. I also need food for the trip (21 hour..) and my "normal" hand luggage.