Internet Job Offer Or Scam?

Tonto21

Internet scamming is on the increase, and getting more sophisticated. Has anyone received any good ones? Has anyone been pinched?

Over the last month the numbers of “bogus” job offers I have received, via e-mail have tripled, I am an Inspection Engineer, and I contract my labour out, worldwide. So I rely on the internet for working contacts. The latest one I have seen, that I think is very dodgy is on Thai Visa Jobs.

Job Title: JOB OPENINGS @ AMEC OIL AND GAS PLC UK. I have e-mailed Thai Visa Jobs with my concerns over this ad 4 days ago, no response and the ad is still up! Maybe I’m wrong, maybe, but I don’t think so.

Have a look and post your thoughts.

Internet scamming is on the increase, and getting more sophisticated. Has anyone received any good ones? Has anyone been pinched?

Over the last month the numbers of “bogus” job offers I have received, via e-mail have tripled, I am an Inspection Engineer, and I contract my labour out, worldwide. So I rely on the internet for working contacts. The latest one I have seen, that I think is very dodgy is on Thai Visa Jobs.

Job Title: JOB OPENINGS @ AMEC OIL AND GAS PLC UK. I have e-mailed Thai Visa Jobs with my concerns over this ad 4 days ago, no response and the ad is still up! Maybe I’m wrong, maybe, but I don’t think so.

Dig a bit and they seem like a real company.

http://www.amec.com/.

listed here also:

http://www.fedvendor.com/contractor/USR200...888/profile.htm

Up to you........

Using a well known and reputable companies name for a scam, (known as a 419) even a genuine company’s web site, is not that new, I have also received job offers from “Total Oil” and “BP” are they real companies?..... Of course they are and they will show up via search engines. Funny thing is, the genuine Company web-sites you end on are not advertising the jobs on offer to you. Also, the reply address’s to the scammers never seem to add up, e.g.: gmail, yahoo.co.uk ect. Remember it’s not just your cash they are after, any small piece of info you send them gets them closer to taking your identity. I phoned the number in the ad for: JOB OPENINGS @ AMEC OIL AND GAS PLC UK. A UK number, the guy could just manage to say “What do you want” in English with a very broad African accent. It would have been very funny had this git on the other end of the phone not been trying to steal from me!

I noticed these few days ago as well. For me it seems there is several adds using different company names. And in general the ads are very confusing talking about working in UK and then location is somewhere in thailand.

The telephone number (Tel: +447024074967) looks dodgy. 070 numbers are portable and can be pointed at any phone. The website for the real AMEC has real phone numbers i.e 020 for London etc.

I have an 020 Skypein number pointed to my computer here in Thailand, so even this wouldn't be a reliable indicator. This ad is pretty obviously a scam though, the email address is enough to give it away - major companies are very unlikely to use @live.com accounts

Edited by danw

Have found another one on Thaivisa! In the same vein, have a look. I know this one is a scam; I rang the number, got an operators message saying the number has been disconnected, due to “breach of terms ” and the number may be routing overseas. The company Job Title: SEND YOUR CV/RESUME @ GMC CONSTRUCTION COMPANY JOB OPENING.

(known as a 419)

The perpetrators of Advance Fee Fraud (AFF), known internationally as "4-1-9" fraud after the section of the Nigerian penal code which addresses fraud schemes, are often very creative and innovative.

Source: 419eater

Just thought i'd correct that.

Edited by phazey

Always chek the phone numbers..... this is a "premium rate number" http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_number_begi..._nigeria_number

That should tell u all u need to know about this ad

[improve]

numbers begining with 0702, 0703, 0704 in the UK are like premium rate numbers, about 50p a minute - conners use them a lot as they are easily mistaken for mobile phone numbers

Always chek the phone numbers..... this is a "premium rate number" http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_number_begi..._nigeria_number

That should tell u all u need to know about this ad

[improve]

numbers begining with 0702, 0703, 0704 in the UK are like premium rate numbers, about 50p a minute - conners use them a lot as they are easily mistaken for mobile phone numbers

Strictly speaking 070 numbers aren't premium rate, they're 'personal' or 'follow me' numbers. Premium rate numbers in the UK begin with 09

Thanks for the heads up chaps, I don't think the 'report' button works for job ads so the only way to report is to start a thread, or better, email support[at]thaivisa.com.

We are investigating and removing the suspect advertisments, and yes, they are free so no ulterior revenue-related motives :)