Fiance Visa Uk

Hi all,

When my fiance came to the UK, we tried to register her at my GP. At first they refused saying that they would have to register her as a private patient. After I politely pointed out that they were incorrect, they contacted the local PCT who told them that:

1. She could see a GP for free.

2. She could not register as the 6 month visa isn't permanent and therefore they could only see her as a temporary patient. They said we would have to wait until we have FLR before she could register.

My question is, are they correct? I'm aware that when we apply for FLR, they will want documents to prove co-habitation so I'm especially concerned about this.

If the answer is that they do have to register her, it would be helpful if you could point me in the direction of evidence that I could present to them to prove that this is the case.

Thanks is advance.

Hi all,

When my fiance came to the UK, we tried to register her at my GP. At first they refused saying that they would have to register her as a private patient. After I politely pointed out that they were incorrect, they contacted the local PCT who told them that:

2. She could not register as the 6 month visa isn't permanent and therefore they could only see her as a temporary patient. They said we would have to wait until we have FLR before she could register.

My question is, are they correct? I'm aware that when we apply for FLR, they will want documents to prove co-habitation so I'm especially concerned about this.

If the answer is that they do have to register her, it would be helpful if you could point me in the direction of evidence that I could present to them to prove that this is the case.

Thanks is advance.

My GP wouldn't register my wife as an NHS patient until she had been here 6 months and could show proof. She was registered as a private patient. My daughter was registered no problem as she was an infant. When we went back into the surgery to register her as NHS after we got her passport back with the FLR in it, there were 2 foreign students there and they were insisting on seeing their dates of entry stamp into the UK. I'm not sure what the rules are to be honest. Some people are lucky and their surgery takes them with no problems.

The basic rule is that anyone who is normally resident in the UK is entitled to NHS treatment.

A fiance visa is classed as a residential visa as it is the holder's intent to apply for residence as soon as possible after the marriage. This is known as being in the UK for a settled purpose or on a settled basis.

Therefore a fiance visa holder is entitled to NHS treatment.

From Are you coming to the UK to marry a person living in the UK?

Am I entitled to access primary care services?

Any person living here lawfully and on a settled basis is regarded as resident in the UK and therefore entitled to free primary medical services. On taking up residence in the UK it is advisable to approach a GP practice and apply to register onto its list of NHS patients. The practice may choose to accept or decline your application. An application may be refused if the practice has reasonable grounds for doing so, such as if you are living outside their practice area. A practice would not be able to refuse your application on the grounds of race, gender, social class, age, religion, sexual orientation, appearance, disability or medical condition.

Notice it says that a practice can refuse to register you if you are living outside their practice area; not if you have been.

I can find no rule or guidance that says you must have been living in the practice area for a minimum period before you can register with them.

Edited by 7by7

Hi all,

Thanks is advance.

I registered my wife and stepdaughter with my doctors without any problems but we didn't get get any medical cards or letters to confirm this, apparently the NHS no longer supply them, so that's one document we can no longer rely on for 'proof of address'.

I would suggest you go to the following website & print copy . www.dh.gov.uk . Find "entitlements & charges " . Follow the link to overseas visitors and the section you need copy is " Are you coming to the UK to marry a person living in the UK "

This section clearly states your fiances free entitlement to health care & your right to Register. Personally i would look for another surgery which covers your catchment area . I realize this may not be possible.

NHS Medical Cards are still being issued . My wife received hers ten days ago . This we sent of to UKBA 5 days ago in response to UKBA asking for further documents proving cohabitation . This was the only document she had in her 9 months stay . Letter today confirming acceptance of FLR . So i think you should

persevere in obtaining Medical Card

I have just had the same from my GP, I told him he was wrong and changed my GP. I had no trouble at all after that . Anyone who is a resident in The UK is entitled to a GP . if you go on the Government . com site it will tell you , And if you have any problem with your wifes health go to the EA , they cannot refuse to treat her , they take an Oath to treat all persons. I think you Doctors a fund held practice,Thats the problem.