Young Children Travelling With Parents

Ulysses G.

I kept running into an English couple on my last trip to Vientiane. They had a little boy who would scream if he was picked up and run away if he was put down. As in just disappear instantly.

I saw them looking for him at Thai immigration, Lao immigration and the Thai Embassy. At the embassy they were told there was a problem with their visa application and they would have to come back again the next day to re-apply.

Never bothered me, but they were starting to look a little frazzled.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always like the way people with kids assume its normal behaviour and we should accept it. YOU chose to have them.

Yes, its so true that some parents seem to lose almost all touch with reality when it comes to their badly behaved little brats. Of course all those with brats will now step forward and flame me with vigor.

So I take it you arein favour of all kids being given a harley at age 5. :)

That's dumb. Their legs are too short.

Edited by bangsaenguy

I always like the way people with kids assume its normal behaviour and we should accept it. YOU chose to have them.

Yes, its so true that some parents seem to lose almost all touch with reality when it comes to their badly behaved little brats. Of course all those with brats will now step forward and flame me with vigor.

That's dumb. Their legs are too short.

but they can reach the throttle. Brick wall here they come.,...

Patience? They shouldn't be allowed on flights; at least the ones that I'm on. Why should paying passengers have to put up with some brat kicking their seat or screaming or running up and down the aisles? Did I mention that I don't like kids?

Have you heard of business class ?

but they can reach the throttle. Brick wall here they come.,...

Another nonsensical post dragging TV down to their level, Basement +ten.

I agree... if their legs are too short, their arms are as well... just nonsensical... Basement +twenty...

Patience? They shouldn't be allowed on flights; at least the ones that I'm on. Why should paying passengers have to put up with some brat kicking their seat or screaming or running up and down the aisles? Did I mention that I don't like kids?

Drunken tattooed lager-louts have to train somewhere, you know ! :)

I think there are two completely different arguments here…

One is the behaviour of the kids… or poor parenting skills of their parents…

(cut for brevity)

Hope I made some sense in there somewhere…

Cheers,

Daewoo

Good post, Daewoo.

Yes indeed, two points entirely: necessary trips with children as compared to taking wild children into an adult atmosphere.

With proper parenting BEFOREHAND it is quite possible to take small children into an adult atmosphere and have them behave. But, as already mentioned, you don't feed them sugar before a long flight in a confined space. Parents traveling on overseas flights have no option of traveling any other way. They DO have an option of where they take their children out for a day trip or where they go for a meal.

My second ex and I ran a day care for children for 4 years. As a day care worker you are legally NOT allowed to strike a child under ANY circumstance. But, that does not mean there is no discipline. There are MANY ways to discipline a child and divert its attention, besides spanking them. I do it all the time in public places with other people's children and I most often get positive results. Children learn very quickly the difference between right and wrong. And, they PREFER to have things done in an orderly fashion. They WANT to have things fair and will continue to test authority just to make it happen.

Although I grew up being spanked on many occasions, I survived with none the worse for wear. However, none of my 3 grand children have ever been spanked... and they don't act up in public. My grown kids just use different methods than my parents did.

There is actually no trouble at all having a child ride his own miniature motorcycle if he is given proper training. Some of the greatest bike riders today started as near infants. There is no correlation between the number of toys a child has and its behaviour. But, there ARE methods of training a child to ride a small motorcycle responsibly. If the child misbehaves then they lose access to their toys. It works very well if the parents are reasonable and consistent.

Parents with kids have the right to travel with them....

Adults without have the right to expect some kind of parental control going on.

But Kids also have the right to be kids, and well act childlike...

Personally loooong flight swith screamers can be tiresome, but the family have the right to travel.

I have upgraded to business in the past to have a family of 6 get bumped up as there was more room etc for them, I was horrified.

However psp came out and the little buggers where fine, quite entertaining in fact.

No I dont have kids but I dont hate them either.

Edited by stiggy

See, theres that attitude again. If you don't like my brats you should pay extra and upgade to business class. What about when you get into Business class and some chap up there has his brats with him, huh? Ohh I get it, I should then upgrade to First.....what if its a two class flight? Get another flight, hire my own jet?

Its definately rubbish at its best, of course these comments are certainly NOT directed at all those responsible parents that control their children or have brought their children up with manners and courtesy, its directed at the parent with the little baaastard child who does what he/she wants to when he/she wants to, irregardless of the other people in the immediate vacinity.

as a parent i'm not a big fan of drunken yobs on flights either but you have to put up with it when you are in cattle class.

i also find fat people offensive when i am eating in a restuarant...but you have to tolerate it.

Edited by leftcross

Families fly biz too. And in general, if the kids are more comfortable, they'll also be less troublesome (certainly would be much easier for them to fall asleep at a more natural angle as compared to eco seats) as well. Won't help folks who despise children and/or families though.

:)

Today, I was having a quiet lunch in a small vegetarian restaurant when a family of four came in. The children were tiny, and very cute and full of energy.

The first thing they did was go jump on the restaurant's only fan and kept horsing around with it until their mother got around to stopping them about 5 minutes later. It was quite hot at that time of day and I was not pleased as every time the mother stopped blocking it they stopped it from working again.

The mother started asking if they had certain dishes without looking at the menu and the waitress said no, but she could run and buy some.

The kids were not bad as kids go, but the whole time they were there they were running around the restaurant causing mischief and the mother only intervened every once in a while. The father ignored everything and did not say a word.

Thankfully, my food was ready so I just bolted it down and got out as soon as I could, but I could not help thinking that they were causing a similar scene everywhere they went and inconveniencing other travelers and the kids are too young to remember the trip at all.

Is it just selfishness for parents to bring young children traveling around the world or is it justified somehow?

UG, knowing your location is in the north, is my guess these are children of missionaries living in CM. I have only seen families with large number of kids coming from this group of north American bible belt social group. Why are they there?

as a parent i'm not a big fan of drunken yobs on flights either but you have to put up with it when you are in cattle class.

i also find fat people offensive when i am eating in a restuarant...but you have to tolerate it.

mee too, normally the drunken yobs are the fat ones too :) , mind you if someones just fat and they don't have their beer belly exposed and all of that then theyre hardly offensive. :D

Families fly biz too. And in general, if the kids are more comfortable, they'll also be less troublesome (certainly would be much easier for them to fall asleep at a more natural angle as compared to eco seats) as well. Won't help folks who despise children and/or families though.

Parents fly first class, kids and nannies business :D

Children are not meant to sit quietly at a table for long periods and parents should remember that. I agree with the poster that said don't bring children into adult situations. I can remember how I hated being taken to restaurants as a small child.

In Thailand, you'd think it was possible to get a girl to watch over them for a few hours. Only negative, the boy may grow up with a strange attraction to Asian women! :)

:D

Parents fly first class, kids and nannies business :D

Its no big thing First Class, even someone like me has flown up there, many times, I always look like I fit right in, in my board shorts, t-shirt and thongs :) B U T having said that I'm always very respectful to the people around me and save my farts for behind the curtain that leads down to business class :D

As others said there is two issues in the OP. Yes, parents should teach basic manners to their kids and not to drag them to restaurant after long day touring etc knowing they are too tired to do anything else than horse around.

But kids not allowed to travel ? I mean if we are banning families traveling what is next. Gays, fat people, people who eat vegetarian?

Mjo,

Perhaps the airlines could run designated flights for these people then, better still, perhaps they could run dedicated flights for people who respect other people around them.....just an idea.....ps: such flights should be fitted with ejector seats to get rid of the asssssholes that book upon the incorrect flights :)

Mjo,

Perhaps the airlines could run designated flights for these people then, better still, perhaps they could run dedicated flights for people who respect other people around them.....just an idea.....ps: such flights should be fitted with ejector seats to get rid of the asssssholes that book upon the incorrect flights :D

Good idea, they could make it part of the personal entertainment system.

"you have 3 free ejections left, please select seat number"

See, theres that attitude again. If you don't like my brats you should pay extra and upgade to business class. What about when you get into Business class and some chap up there has his brats with him, huh? Ohh I get it, I should then upgrade to First.....what if its a two class flight? Get another flight, hire my own jet?

Its definately rubbish at its best, of course these comments are certainly NOT directed at all those responsible parents that control their children or have brought their children up with manners and courtesy, its directed at the parent with the little baaastard child who does what he/she wants to when he/she wants to, irregardless of the other people in the immediate vacinity.

Agreed - It was just a tounge in cheek comment for Mc Scrooge there.

I can do upto 20 flights a month with my job, and trust me its not just kids on the plane that need bringing into check ! couples bickering, the old boy slurping his soup, the person with the mega loud Ipod, the unhygenic passenger with the cheesy feet, the list goes on and they're all adults. I guess everyone has a different level for social decorum ?

I recently had to take my 3 yr old son back to the uk for an urgent family matter, he's a typical 3 yr old intrested in everything with lots of questions and an abundance of energy. The first flight ( approx 6 hrs ) he was a nightmare, getting agitated and shouting out lots, not wanting to put his belt on, etc etc .... I will admit I was having difficulty to start with. The second flight ( approx 6 hrs ) he was the complete opposite, so much so that the lady sat infront of me complimented me on my well behaved son and how well i did travelling on my own with him. He had roughly the same amount of sleep on each flight, and my parenting skills were the same for both of them.

My point is , ( when it comes to planes ) Adults with kids don't tend to fly that often ( too bloody expensive ). I understand being pi$$ed off if the parent is letting there kid run complete riot on the plane. Just spare a thought for the parent that is trying to control their restless child who is out of its comfort zone in an unusual enviroment.

choppy

Edited by choppychugger

"you have 3 free ejections left, please select seat number"

now THAT is inflight entertainment... I wonder how society would feel if I was to PUSH THE BUTTON on my own kids...

I have had a fat snoring Chinesse guy whose fat gut hung over the armrest so I couldn't get out my table... whose fat arms took up half my seat... this fat f^ck was seriously a couple of hundred kilos... I could quite easily have shown him the emergency exit at 30,000 feet... far worse than a crying baby...

I was also spoilt that up to 26 I flew everywhere first class... so even 10 years later, turning left as I enter the plane seriously brings a tear to my eye :) ... :D ...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Children acting crazy in public is one of my pet peeves. I have a 5 year old son and I do not allow him to disturb other people. Even if it means we all have to stay home. I am lucky in that he flies very well. We fly business class to and from the states and you won't hear a peep out of him the whole flight. I always get compliments and comments from people on the plane. People sitting in front of us have commented they didn't even know a child was in business class. That said, I always travel with some children's benadryl. If I have to, I will give it to him to chill him out and make him sleep. So far I've never had to use it.

It's nearly impossible to control him in restaurants here in thailand. Because he gets so much attention being a farang child. it's hard to control your child when half the wait staff is laughing at him, playing with him and in general encouraging him to act like a fool. Therefore we rarely take him out to eat. When we do, we try to stick to small establishments where we are the only patrons or places frequented by mainly thais. Thais do not disipline their children much. It is part of their culture. I don't feel as stressed taking him to restaurants mainly frequented by thais because there are many kids acting crazy.