Young Children Travelling With Parents

Ulysses G.

This subject has been covered in the Samui pages, I'm unable to find the thread but it very amusing listening to the defensive parents and the grump old farts.

What happens when the parents are both expats and not living in their own countries? are my children not expected to see their grandparents because they might upset someone during a long haul flight? tough I will try to keep them entertained but sometimes a five minute crying fix will take place.

I do belive that parents should take control of the situation whilst in resturants and on long haul flights.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Children acting crazy in public is one of my pet peeves. I have a 5 year old son and I do not allow him to disturb other people. Even if it means we all have to stay home. I am lucky in that he flies very well. We fly business class to and from the states and you won't hear a peep out of him the whole flight. I always get compliments and comments from people on the plane. People sitting in front of us have commented they didn't even know a child was in business class. That said, I always travel with some children's benadryl. If I have to, I will give it to him to chill him out and make him sleep. So far I've never had to use it.

It's nearly impossible to control him in restaurants here in thailand. Because he gets so much attention being a farang child. it's hard to control your child when half the wait staff is laughing at him, playing with him and in general encouraging him to act like a fool. Therefore we rarely take him out to eat. When we do, we try to stick to small establishments where we are the only patrons or places frequented by mainly thais. Thais do not disipline their children much. It is part of their culture. I don't feel as stressed taking him to restaurants mainly frequented by thais because there are many kids acting crazy.

:)

Sounds like you rate too highly others perception of your child.

5 yr olds like to play and act foolish beleive it or not - its part of their social/devleopment.

Edited by choppychugger

The problem isn't whether the kids are well behaved or not, it's the fact that badly behaved kids are badly behaved because the parents can't be bothered to get of their back-sides to keep them under control.

As for kids traveling on long haul flights, my wife and I took our 4 month old son to Thailand and my biggest worry was if he would be OK on the flight as I know that there is nothing worse than a screaming kid on a long haul flight. Luckily our son took it all in his stride but the same can't be said for the family next to us with a 3 year old that they proceeded to give coca-cola and sugary sweets to the whole flight and as such was bouncing of the walls and running up and down the aisles like a headless chicken not that his parents were bothered and just left him to it.

Like most parents I had no idea how my son would handle the flight, but even before I had kids I had no problem with a baby/small child crying on a plane if the parents were making an effort to calm the child down, it's the parents who didn't care that pissed me off and that for me is the difference, the parents who care that their child's crying annoys other people.

Brigante7.

Yep, yep, yep. My girls are 8 and 10 now - neither have had a coke in their lives - ask them what they want to drink and its water, milk or fresh fruit juice. They have been to parties where there was only coke and lemonade to drink and so never had anything - or took an empty cup to the kitchen sink. This was when we were in the UK, here there is always bottled water. We have always eaten at the table, and always maintained manors at the table. This is the problem in many western countries. Kids eat on a tray in front of the TV, on there own with little supervision. They are practically force fed sugar and food additives, and the parents often leave the kids to get on with it. I have never needed, nor wanted, to smack my kids - a tone change or look is enough.

I have had people come up to me in restaurants and congratulate me for their behaviour - they are not plastic clones, we chat and even joke at the table, but there are table manors and there is respect. Playing is fine, but not at the table. My kids have been jet setters since they were 3 months old - we have family in Thailand, UK, Spain, Finland, Canada, USA and so on - we took toys on the plane for them to play with - read to them - watched movies as they got older (and the planes got better equipped). They never run up and down the aisles, they didn't scream, never threw tantrums. Mostly they slept - as does my wife who gets airsick.

I think usually its the parents too blame and not the kids; sugar rushes, lack of discipline and respect and pure laziness. If you had a puppy and trained it, it would be well most likely be well behaved for its life - if you ignore it, dump its food outside, let it toilet where it feels, you can't expect that it will be trainable or unresistant to that training later. So, why do they think a kids that has been left to run amok its whole life is suddenly going to be behaved on a plane or a boring (for them) two hour dinner? and bribing them with candy is like trying to put a fire out with petrol/gas!

Patience? They shouldn't be allowed on flights; at least the ones that I'm on. Why should paying passengers have to put up with some brat kicking their seat or screaming or running up and down the aisles? Did I mention that I don't like kids?

Have you heard of business class ?

Because you really believe that only adults (as in the nice type) travel biz?

So I must be the only one exposed to the kids: twice I had to put up with a family of 5. I couldn't tell the age of the youngest but the bay was still in the mother's armas (cried the whole fly) Two other kids did stop walking up and down the aisle until they got too tired and eventually fell asleep.

Another time I had a couple of kids playing cards and other games (maybe 12 or 14) and they were quite loud.

It is always difficult for the people in charge to take the risk to upset the travellers and in the first case nothing was done (the flight lasted a couple of hours and, luckily, the family had a connection plane to catch)

The second time I asked the stewardess to do something but after 10 minutes or so they had started again

On an 11 hour flight I am not that patient so, after a while, I went up to the father to ask him if it were posssible for the parents to switch their seats with their kids. Which they did not but never heard any noise afterwards

What bothers me most, is kids in a restaurant. I know Brunch is supposed to be aimed at families but sincerely considering the price paid in such restaurants I thought I could get some peace

Parents need to realise their young kids need supervision and entertaing 24/7 before they decide to have them and if they dont know this they shouldnt have them. Leaving them to "do their own thing" on a flight is negligent and they dont deserve to have them.

Parents need to realise their young kids need supervision and entertaing 24/7 before they decide to have them and if they dont know this they shouldnt have them. Leaving them to "do their own thing" on a flight is negligent and they dont deserve to have them.

And if your parents thought like that you wouldn't be here.

Sounds like a rather severe case of grumpy old man syndrome.

LOL. :)

I would agree in this case! Children are people too; we all were one at one point in our lives, and we all made as big a mess around us as we could possibly manage.

Also, the post seems to suggest that because one particular couple was bad at keeping their kids in check, it is therefore bad/irresponsible for anyone to travel with kids. That's a strange kind of logic, kind of similar how some people have issues with travelers from country X, Y or Z.

Maybe all airlines should have an onboard creche, With a designated stewardess that loves being abused by kids. :)

Alot of the newer aircraft are coming with fitout options for people that die during flight, ie: a little cabin to hide the body away in. Perhaps they should have another few little cabins to place naughty children and parents alike in. Ohh and definately an area to lock obnoxious drunks and loudmouths in too.

An airline like that would be destined to succeed.

And if your parents thought like that you wouldn't be here.

Rubbish :)

Despite being a Father I am not a fan of kids myself in general.

Because of this I am very conscious of other people when in a public place with my daughter, places such as kids pools or playgrounds are the places to let your kids cause havoc and adults should remember that, whereas in places such as restaurants the parents should be considerate to the other patrons.

It isn't just people traveling but people in general who either have manners or they don't.

I respect you for saying this!

It DOES depend on how the kids are raised. I was raised quite strict and my parents could take me almost any place and they would get compliments about my behavior. And then there are the kind of kids like the OP ran into. I don't fault the kids, but rather the oafish parents.

As a former educator, I love having kids around, unless they are the bratty ones.

My uncle was a pretty nice guy, raised a very polite (although spoiled) son. But my uncle couldn't stand poor child behavior in public. He was very apt to turn to a screaming or crying kid and in a calm but firm voice say, "Shut up you little brat."

It sometimes requires a bit of extra energy to tolerate other people's children. Mine were cute, funny, entertaining and brilliant...everyone elses were spoiled, misbehaved and not very smart. So, I think parents don't always see the problem. Try to be tolerant, sometimes the parents go out to eat because they are exhausted.

I once had an obnoxious little kid in the seat behind me on a 20+ hour flight. Little bugger kept kicking my seat. I absolutely could have wacked him after about 6 hours. I finally decided to turn around and talk to him for a while. We played peek-a-boo and what is it. We looked at pictures in the magazine (he was hanging over the seat). He was really a sweet kid, eventually fell asleep and the rest of the flight was uneventful. His mother seemed quite thankful as well.

Patience, patience....and if that fails, do what you did and leave quickly.

Nice of you. But you shouldn't have to do that when you're paying between $1000 and $2000 for that 20 hour flight. I would have called the steward and demanded the situation fixed.

I used to travel business class a fair bit but recently they have withdrawn many freebise such as with Emirates the little goody bag and the service is getting worse. Lat trip 4 months ago found my tv not working, stale food, and slow service. Its not really worth the money any more even the seats were not so good from Dubai to Birmingham.

For the extra cost its just not worth it at all. I wrote and complained and got no joy.I'm booking economy now and just pick the emergency exit seats at check in, still got good legroom and save myself a fortune.

Patience? They shouldn't be allowed on flights; at least the ones that I'm on. Why should paying passengers have to put up with some brat kicking their seat or screaming or running up and down the aisles? Did I mention that I don't like kids?

Have you heard of business class ?

Are you offering to pay for it?

Brigante7.

Looks like some of the kids have been let loose on their own pseudo aircraft here.

However, when my boy has travelled and was walking up the aisle passengers were taking a genuine interest, he was not disruptive on any of the long haul flights and he interacted with the people around him, but it takes patience, understanding and time.

I agree with Brigante, why on Earth you would feed them sugary drinks anyway, but on a long haul??

And as Left Cross says, drunken ejits and loud mouth boors are awful, give me a distressed kid any time.

If it is within the Airlines rules to carry children, the proper fees have been paid, unlucky, find an alternative.

I also wonder regarding those that gripe, do they drink and drive, putting my child at risk? do they speed, do they go through red lights, weave in and out of traffic?

Just one set of examples, you may chose to do these things, I choose to take my boy on a long haul flight, properly supervised and catered for.

Good Luck :)

I'm booking economy now and just pick the emergency exit seats at check in, still got good legroom and save myself a fortune.

Two problems with this tactic...

BA and EK offer online check in 24hrs in advance, which I have used... you can often get an exit row seat, but not always if an agent has specifically locked it in for a booking...

4 times I have done it with BA... 3 times I have been sat beside a hugely overweight person who took half my seat with their giant wings... including the guy who sat down and snored for 8 hours and I couldn't even open my table from the armrest... plus the checkin staff can move you at their leisure if another salad dodger turns up and causes a fuss about needing an exit row... here's a hint, your knees might be able to bend like a normal person if they were subjected to your 4 times design weight load...

I did it once with EK... couldn't get an exit row (all gone 23hrs 59mins before dep), but did get a bulkhead row (at least there is no seat reclined back to touch your nose)... on the ground myself and the two ladies beside me were asked to move to accommodate parents with babies that needed the bulkhead for their bassinet... including one with an "Under two" (travel for free) bigger than my 5 year old who overhung the bassinet by a foot at each end... :):D:D ...

Our compensation for moving was an offer of a free first class desert...

Exit rows definately aren't all they are cracked up to be... I would rather try and find an aisle seat and hope no one sits in the middle... at least you can stretch your legs up the aisle...

I think the OP asks a fair question, one I have thought about if I ever have kids. I love to travel and would not want to give it up for 5 years or so while a child or children grow up. I think, maybe, only smaller trips would be in order and that discipline would be key. I hate it when kids are running around like that and I know it's not easy, having been a teacher, but I would try my best to keep my kids under control in that kind of situation.

Having a nanny helps, although only for local and regional travel. Out of Asia travel, visa issues are a little more involved. One good reason to make sure all are legal and above board as early on as possible.

However, when my boy has travelled and was walking up the aisle passengers were taking a genuine interest,

but ofcourse they would

hes such a lovely and handsome guy!

I also wonder regarding those that gripe, do they drink and drive, putting my child at risk? do they speed, do they go through red lights, weave in and out of traffic?

Just one set of examples, you may chose to do these things, I choose to take my boy on a long haul flight, properly supervised and catered for.

Good Luck :D

Point 1 above, Huh? :)

Point 2, nobody is griping about you or your son, I hardly think from what you have stated that you are one of the people that needs a tune up about parenting skills.

However, you may be inexperienced in understanding airtravel (not the same as being an inexperienced passenger). Did you know, its not a good idea to let your cute little child walk around too much on the aircraft. It is a matter of safety and since you seem so concerned about safety (see above), you should be aware that unless you are moving to the toilet or back, you should remain in your seat at all times with your seat belt somewhat fastened becuase it is possible that the plane can hit unexpected turbulance and your son could be injured or killed flying through the cabin at that time and of course he could also injure someone else.

There have been many incidents of people being injured like this over the years, head and neck injuries being most common. I would hate to see your son injured in this way, please keep him in his seat.

Anyway, safe travels.

Neverdie,

The whole caption you have highlighted is the key, I choose to take my son travelling, others choose other activities, I prefer mine, as stated just a random comparison.

As for moving whilst in travel, I know and understand your points, at the time it was calm and there was little activity, there was no warning from staff of even mild turbulence and they were actively involved, I was always with him with at least one hand on him.

I did an on the spot Risk Assessment, I updated it regularly, taking into account any changes to the situation, e.g passengers picking him up, changes to his demeanour, like chuckling and other peoples manner, like smiling.

Result, Risk minimal.

Thank you for your concern though :)

On long flights Noise cancelling headphones work wonders. They really do, screaming kids or not, try them, you'll be happy you did.

Flying Business class also helps.

Personally, I love looking at all the unruly kids piling into economy class whilst I'm sipping champagne, you get what you pay for, and when I'm paying a lot more than you are to fly business class, I expect you to suffer a lot more. :)

Having a nanny helps, although only for local and regional travel. Out of Asia travel, visa issues are a little more involved. One good reason to make sure all are legal and above board as early on as possible.

i have a friend who has been travelling back and forth with his nanny to australia for years.

he just discovered she was using somebody else's passport the whole time!!

Nobody complains when my daughter goes running down the aisle of the plane... :D

Distractions_1.sized.jpg

Careful of cabin pressure with those things :D

:D:D:D:D:D

She could really do with wearing a decent bra from time to time. By the time shes Ian Forbes age they will be kneeward. :)