Sticky Rice

kamp

I have made sticky rice many times here in norway (before I got food allergies). I have bought a sticky rice steamer like this 91101.jpg

On the sticky rice package it says it should be in water for 2-10 hour and then steamed for 20 minutes.

But after 20 minutes the rice is still very hard so I need to steam it at least 1 hour and sometimes more. I have put the rice in water over night.

Why does it take so long time?

Is it because the rice in thailand is fresher it don't take so long time?

I have made sticky rice many times here in norway (before I got food allergies). I have bought a sticky rice steamer like this 91101.jpg

On the sticky rice package it says it should be in water for 2-10 hour and then steamed for 20 minutes.

But after 20 minutes the rice is still very hard so I need to steam it at least 1 hour and sometimes more. I have put the rice in water over night.

Why does it take so long time?

Is it because the rice in thailand is fresher it don't take so long time?

From whatI have been told by thai girlfriends is fresh rice is soft and only needs a short time to soak before cooking, about 4 hours and 20 minutes to steam. Old rice is hard should soak at least overnight and cook about same time but not cook an hour rice most be soggy after that long. Also flip it once in the steamer we also cover ir well steaming

Edited by lovelomsak

I do cover it with a lid (is it called that?).

I read another place that the type of ricecooker that I bought is not good on "western" oven if you don't have gas.

Has anyone tried making sticky rice in the microwave? I read on a internet side that it did work. But I am a bit skeptic to it..