Cropping

bkkjames

I guess the photo may hold some interest if you know some of the people in the scene. But other than that, and maybe it's just me, not really sure why you would want to crop the photo, or indeed even if the cropped one is 'better' than the non-cropped one. :)

I guess the photo may hold some interest if you know some of the people in the scene. But other than that, and maybe it's just me, not really sure why you would want to crop the photo, or indeed even if the cropped one is 'better' than the non-cropped one. :)

It's rare that I do not crop a photo, and for online purposes, I'm not a big fan of standard sizes of photos.

Your first statement (or question) about who would be interested in the photo...that can be true of any photo, not just one with people. I'm not a sports fan, and on one of the websites they're posting a lot of sports photos taken with the new Canon 7D. Although I can look at the sports photos and think, "Oh, that's clear and crisp", or "The colors are perfect saturation level," the photos hold no interest for me at all.

To me, the purpose of a crop is to further focus attention on the subject, whatever that may be. When I first got into landscape photography (because I love to travel), I would take a photo at some locations and then think what a boring photo it was. Why? No specific subject to catch the attention of the viewer.

I think the question you may be asking is, "What was the purpose of the photo?" Perhaps it was just of family members. Maybe it was a study of children at play. Maybe taken to be part of piece on day school.

How do you "crop" a photo so the finished picture is a standard size for printing?

I've got a few family snaps that need work, a couple of which I plan to frame.

If you use either Photoshop or Lightroom you can set the crop tool to whatever dimensions/dpi you require.

Best first though to see what your printing outlet will accommodate

Edited by The Vulcan

Hi Katana: Didn't really expect you to jump over the moon at the image (wasn't the intent), however I was just trying to point out that cropping out distractions in the background can help the eye stay focused on the main subject matter.