Non-imm Multiple-o Visa Refused

Hello!

I just come back from the Thai honorary consulate in Hamburg/Germany. Despite other claims by telephone, they refused to give me a multiple-O visa. Reason: I don't have a pension of 800 EUR/month, but only income from interests based on my investment. The latter was certified by my bank (monthly average income, way more than what is required).

So after some discussion with a stubborn German lady (the head of the consulate allegedly), I finally got a single-O visa at least.

A few questions: the easiest way to get a 1 year extension based on retirement, means seasoning 800K Baht for 2 months in Thailand. Is this still the rule?

As I don't have a Thai bank account, I need to get one soon after my arrival. Is Kasikorn the best bank to go for? As I need one account for my daily expenses, would it be reasonable to have two accounts, one with the 800K and another one with ATM card for the normal stuff? Or is one account sufficient if there is at least a balance of 800K over the whole period?

As I have read, instead of seasoning 800K, I can also try to get a letter from my embassy about my regular income. Is income from investment/interest regarded as equivalent to a pension?

How old can the embassy letter be before I apply for extension of stay? Can I immediately after my arrival try to get the letter, and if they don't give it to me, I still have sufficient time to season 800K Baht?

Lots of questions, thanks for listening and your help!

Requirements for extension of stay based on retirement are 800k in Thai bank for 2 months prior to first application (3 months for subsequent extensions) OR 65k/month income OR a combination of the two arriving at 800k. In the case of income from abroad you will need to obtain an income letter from your embassy. It is up to your embassy what they will accept as 'qualifying income', but most accept investment income with supporting paperwork. Immigration will only accept an embassy income letter than is no more than a few days old. If using the bank balance option you will need a letter from bank confirming the account balance. Note that if using the combination method there is no seasoning period.

You will need to open bank account as you say, but you will get 90 day permission to stay on entry into the Kingdom so have time to do and allow for funds transfer/seasoning. You can operate on one account if you wish, the balance just has to be above 800k for each day of the appropriate seasoning period. Most immigration offices would expect to see some activity on the account at renewal. K-bank is fine, Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank too. Is up to you.

Edited by thaiphoon

The Embassy letter age can vary by the immigration office used. Some have told recent applicants to keep and use for up to 3 years. Others have generally allowed up to about 3 months. But there is always those that feel it has to be fresh off the press so best to ask before you spend the money for the letter - you will also have to ask your Embassy what they require. But in general this is a very painless exercise and all goes smooth.

,,,OR a combination of the two arriving at 800k...

GreenSnapper, in your case, with a documented income from investment, I would use this combination route, ie embassy letter confirming the income and bank letter confirming the savings account balance, the two to total a minimum of 800k. This has the added advantage that it is not necessary for the money in the bank to be seasoned for 2 months. If your documented income already exceeds 800k for the year you do not even need to show evidence of money in the bank but some immigration offices still like to see a bank book, sometimes also the bank letter, regardless of the amount in the account, just to have an assurance that you do have an account for use of daily expenses.

--

Maestro

Thanks, guys, for your very helpful hints!

I'd rather go for the embassy letter path. It wouldn't be a problem to put 800K to a Thai account, but then it does not give any interest and there is also some chance of a devaluation of the Baht, so I prefer to have most assets offshore.

The problem with the embassy letter is, if I would get it soon after arrival in Thailand, then it may be too early. As I believe it is not possible to apply for the extension of stay just after my stay has started?

If I wait till the end, and something goes wrong (embassy doesn't give the right letter - I worry again about German stubbornness), then I have no time to season the money.

Just to be safe, I probably shall better use the 800K path.

Comments?

Edited by GreenSnapper

Nothing would prevent you from getting a new visa/entry and doing again if the Embassy took a hard line. I would go letter route if that is what you prefer - if someting goes amiss you can travel to KL or somewhere to get a new visa and have time to age money if required. But I can not see any problem - just find out what your Embassy requires in the way of documentation early on.

FYI: You should get normal interest on bank accounts (although currently isn't much).

I don't know what was the problem. But i asume that you are not 50 years old?

If you are not 50 years old, they normaly do not give a multible-O-visa.

It will be also not possible to applay for a retirementextension in thailand as there is the same role.

No Consulate is required to issue a multi entry for anyone ot any age.

Sorry, i know that's true and they do what they want .... :)

But normaly, over 50 years, retierementincome or money (800k) and they will be happy to give you a multible-O-visa. IF THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU ONE: YOU ARE NOT 50, OR, IF YOU ARE 50 YEARS, THEY ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE MONEY YOU SHOW THEM! ?

gREENSNAPPER: The problem with the embassy letter is, if I would get it soon after arrival in Thailand, then it may be too early. As I believe it is not possible to apply for the extension of stay just after my stay has started?

If you show income - normaly no problem (you have a 3 month-visa) and you show only the letter from the embassy; may they like to see (as in the NE of Thailand, where i life ) that money come to your bank. Then send 65k a month to your bank.

Edited by Somrak

It is down to the individual embassy/consulate whether they issue single or multiple entry visa and how much money required in the bank. Within the region embassies/consulates tend to issue single entry Non-O visa if over 50 because they expect you to obtain extension of stay in Thailand on expiry. Outside the region many of the honorary consulates are more liberal in their approach and are prepared to issue multiple entry visas.

And please don't use capitals ... as is regarded as shouting.

No Consulate is required to issue a multi entry for anyone ot any age.

But normaly, over 50 years, retierementincome or money (800k) and they will be happy to give you a multible-O-visa. IF THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU ONE: YOU ARE NOT 50, OR, IF YOU ARE 50 YEARS, THEY ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE MONEY YOU SHOW THEM! ?

I am over 50, so that should not be a problem and my money is way more than 800K Baht.

But the chief of the consulate told me, that any amount of money/assets does not count. "You can be a millionaire, and we won't give you a multiple-O".

The only thing what counts is a government pension of meager 800€/month, which is also mentioned on their website.

As a side note, the (German) consul claimed that I cannot retire in Thailand unless I'm 55. So based on that kind of "knowledge", they make up their own laws... :)

So one more question: if my extension application inside Thaland (BKK exactly) will fail for some reason, can I get easily another O-visa in KL, Penang or Vientiane?

Just to have a safe second option.

Edited by GreenSnapper