Marriage Visa Extension Delayed Two More Weeks.

Went to Chok Chai Immigration yesterday to have my passport stamped after submitting the usual documents one month ago, but was told the paperwork had not been received from Bangkok and for me to return in roughly two weeks. The officer scribbled a date in my passport for the 13th of November, 11 days past the one-month evaluation time period, and that I should now call (or return, not sure which) to verify the paperwork's arrival.

My questions are...

(1) Is the new penciled-in date in my passport valid?

(2) If my paperwork from Bangkok does not arrive by the time the new approval date expires, am I overstaying or do I need to visit immigration again for another?

(3) Am I the only one who failed to realize that one should call first before going to get their 1 year extension stamp?

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Replogle

1. Yes - immigration has extended the under review period.

2. You must visit on that date to obtain stamp or new period of under review or receive disapproval stamp (that is not likely on a valid submission).

3. You need to visit on the date specified in any case. If a long distance they might allow phone 'visit' but if you had a police problem without entry in passport it could get complex. It is a bit of a gray area.

2. You must visit on that date to obtain stamp or new period of under review or receive disapproval stamp (that is not likely on a valid submission).

3. You need to visit on the date specified in any case. If a long distance they might allow phone 'visit' but if you had a police problem without entry in passport it could get complex. It is a bit of a gray area.

Thanks for the quick response, lopburi!

The only problem I can think of was that the Wife and I brought our four month old son with us, and that we were all wearing matching elephant T-shirts from Chiang Mai; no respectful collared ones. Originally we thought this as being slightly disrespectful to the Immigration Officer, after the fact, and decided to give us the run around. But if this is common then I suppose there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Cheers.

There have been several reports of more than 30 days recently (all the Immigration office movements probably a major factor) so would not be concerned. Might be a good idea to wear a shirt on next visit however.

Lopburi,

I my wife and I have used the marriage extension a number of times before and after my extensions based on work. They have always indicated to us that since it goes to Bangkok, it can take up to 60 days. The magic word is "CAN." They indicated that it usually takes 60 days for the first or second one, and 30 days for extensions after.

Going back to my married extension just a couple 2.5 months ago, they put a 60 day stanp in the passport to begin with.

Its good for TV inquirers to expect 60 days and be happy with 30 days. Our paperwork is sent to BKK from Chiang Mai.

For point number 2, in my recent last extension (Samut Prakarn), it took more than 30 days for the paperwork to be completed and returned to the immigration office.

On the date specified, I went to the immigration, was told they will call me back when the paperwork will be ready, but did not stamp any new 30 days period "under review".

I raised my concern to the officer about being considered as "overstaying", and his answer was no, I was not overstaying.

A small green paper with the immigration telephone and the under review notation was attached in my passport.

2 Days later they called me, and everything was ready.