Landlord Has Building Turn Off Our Water, 5 Days Late On Rent

I think some of us are having a laugh at the OPs expense , who seems to believe it is more important for him to be supplied with water than for the landlord to be furnished with the rent money on time , responsibility SHOULD come before irrational demands .

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this site is so so funny. People working here on work permits think they are better then those who do Visa runs, etc. Turning someone watter off is over reacting, in the west that would get the landlord in lots of troulbe but I am sure here nothing well every get done. The guy should try to pay his rent on time. The first bills I would pay would be Rent and Electric. Things do happen they happen to all of us, for you guys to gang up and attack the op like this is crazy. I think it is like visa thing....grow up guys stop judging!!!

It isn't that we think we're "better", it's that we're doing it the fully legal way, and some of us think that's important.

Who cares what happens in the west in this situation. We're in Thailand.

You seem to forget that it isn't just one time he's been late with the rent. I've never been late with my rent or mortgage. I know it's my responsibility, based on the contract I signed.

He posted on the TV website and he got feedback. It just wasn't the feedback he wanted.

It seems to me that you're making judgments, as well. So, grow up (as you put it).

this site is so so funny. People working here on work permits think they are better then those who do Visa runs, etc. Turning someone watter off is over reacting, in the west that would get the landlord in lots of troulbe but I am sure here nothing well every get done. The guy should try to pay his rent on time. The first bills I would pay would be Rent and Electric. Things do happen they happen to all of us, for you guys to gang up and attack the op like this is crazy. I think it is like visa thing....grow up guys stop judging!!!

The OP said he's been late with 3 previously payments "Other than the 3 late (less than a week) rent payments where he'd call us", and plus this one makes 4 late payments in 12 months...dude that's 33% of payments being late, turning off water is hardly an overreaction.

Calling someone up and telling them "I am the wrong farang to <deleted> with" and "I said their entire security staff will be needed in here unless my water is turned back on" would be an overreaction...

Being a dead beat and paying a 3rd of your bills late is hardly something that "happens to all of us".

Maybe you are the "affluent friend and 'resident' of Thailand" who advised him while doing a visa run together?

Edited by dave111223

"laws in Thailand are some rules that only foreigners are expected to follow."

Like paying your rent on time? Oh, the unfairness of it all! As a farang I'm actually expected to live up to a contract I signed?!

Please, Nancy, save your breath for cooling your chowder.

I don't know why anybody wants to go through this anyway! I have eight tenants, I can tell you that I would not muck around with them either!

Just get a Thai bank account and set-up the monthly transfer to automatically pay on the date that the rent is due for the duration of the lease, if in an apartment, even including an allowance to cover utilities.

But if you live in a +bt.100k condo and cannot do this than it is maybe time to move down the ladder to a place you can afford to pay on time!!!

Of course, if you don't pay your rent by the lease stipulated deadline, then you will have to deal with the consequences.

Edited by Terminator

Exactly right, the law here is not really on the property owners side, and nor is it the tenants side either. A farang can just hop on a plane and disappear...

To enlighten THEFALANG , my post was mostly 'Tongue in cheek'.

Your reference to most 'Civilised' countries do not apply in Thailand , hence the numerous threads on this and similar threads , wake up and smell the coffee , you may get the 'Odd' bout of laughter from comments here on TV , happiness is heart food .

What did you mean that you are the wrong farang to F with? What would you have done if he told you the water stays off?

He would come straight to Thaivisa and make an angry post telling that evil Thai landlord what for! :)

... and making sure everybody from Bangkok to Brighton knows he is "the wrong farang to <deleted> with." (Thais quaking in their boots now)

It has been my experience that people who use the words "kick ass" as an adjective aren't inclined to see things in an orderly and logical fashion. Also, I can't think of any place in the world where threatening a landlord gets you anything. They own the property, and hold all the cards.

Am I understanding this right. The OP has been late 3 or 4 times on a one year lease that had expired six days before starting this post and he thinks it’s about the water being shut off. We rent a house here in Bangkok thats Bangkok not Pattaya my wife goes over on the first to pick up the rent. Once we had a tenant that was late two weeks she went over and put a lock on the door. A few hours later the tenant came to our house all smiles with rent in hand. Of course not 6 digits so obviously not as important as this OP.

Just grow up and pay up. Since you don’t have a lease I think your lucky everything isn’t out on the street.

“Anyone else here, not on welfare and living in Pattaya with something of substance to add”

You really know how to get on the winning side and this is what I'm adding.

This whole post must be a troll......no self respecting landlord would allow a person with an expired lease and a history of late payment to abuse him.

Or is the OP living in a new place now.

Edited by harrry