Thailand's Tourism Industry Has Recovered

webfact

gallery_327_1086_7838.jpg

Tourism Minister: Foreign visitors in 2009 set to reach 14 million as targeted

BANGKOK, Nov 4 (TNA) - Thailand's tourism industry, much affected by domestic political conflicts and the global economic slowdown, has now recovered with about 14 million foreign tourists expected to visit the kingdom in 2009 as earlier targeted, according to Minister of Tourism and Sports Chumphon Silpa-archa.

Mr Chumphon said that more than 9.8 million foreign tourists visited Thailand between January and September, while an average of 30,000 travellers arrived in the kingdom at Suvarnabhumi Airport every day in October.

He said that for 12 days in October, the country's main airport welcomed more than 30,000 tourists daily.

By the end of December, the minister said, the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand for this calendar year will reach or surpass 14 million, the number of visitors the ministry had earlier targeted.

Mr Chumphon added that a number of charter flights landing at the country's renowned seaside resorts of Phuket, Krabi, Phangnga and Samui also increased in the same period, leading to full hotel occupancy in the areas.

In the northern region, especially Chiang Mai, Mr Chumphon said he has been informed by the president of the Chiang Mai Tourism Business Association that the hotel occupancy rate there is between 65 and 80 per cent.

He said it is likely that the number will increase as many interesting events and activities will be held in November and December, the winter season, including the Royal Flora Expo to celebrate the birthday of His Majesty the King on December 5. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/11/04

I suspect the figures for Chiang Mai were taken from the Loy Kratong festival but doubt that they are truly representative - I also seriously doubt the full occupancy story in my neck of the woods. But the underlying premise that tourists numbers are recovering is entirely believable although I suspect the chickens are being counted before .... That fact notwithstanding there does seem to be a natural compensation mechanism at work so when tourists are lost from one country they are replaced by tourists from another.

...........He said that for 12 days in October, the country's main airport welcomed :D more than 30,000 tourists daily.................

:):D:D

Although easy to poke fun at officials, hard to blame the guy for the pictured selected to run with the story. Then again.

Are they counting people leaving? The picture seems to show the tourists leaving Thailand

Geez its a bit quite on here..for me this is good news that not many on TV like to hear..

Not having a go at you BB,but im just wondering how you came to the conclusion that the pic was of people leaving?

In any case dont worry,that little wooden puppet guy will turn up any minute with multiple reasons why this isnt true,why the thais are lying, and how LOS is still going down the tubes... :)

BTW..i wonder how many of the long stayers here,(the ones who talk down LOS constantly) are actually seeking (or considering) citizenship??

They've certainly been here long enough,since they seem to know everything Thai,and like to bag out anyone who's only been here a year or so.

I for one would not be comfortable to invite a non aussie person to become a new aussie citizen if that person spent a good deal of his/her time running down his host country and perpetuating their negative opinions on others who may not have the experience to seperate reality from all the BS

Are they counting people leaving? The picture seems to show the tourists leaving Thailand

Geez its a bit quite on here..for me this is good news that not many on TV like to hear..

Not having a go at you BB,but im just wondering how you came to the conclusion that the pic was of people leaving?

Because you don't line up in the check in area to enter thailand.

In any case dont worry,that little wooden puppet guy will turn up any minute with multiple reasons why this isnt true,why the thais are lying, and how LOS is still going down the tubes... :)

BTW..i wonder how many of the long stayers here,(the ones who talk down LOS constantly) are actually seeking (or considering) citizenship??

They've certainly been here long enough,since they seem to know everything Thai,and like to bag out anyone who's only been here a year or so.

I for one would not be comfortable to invite a non aussie person to become a new aussie citizen if that person spent a good deal of his/her time running down his host country and perpetuating their negative opinions on others who may not have the experience to seperate reality from all the BS

I agree with you 100%. No matter what is posted in good faith for the readers the negative "stinkin thinkin" people come out of the woodwork to ridicule and put down everybody and everything about Thailand. Its gotten so, even though they have lots of TV readers, TV has gotten a reputation because of these posters.

I have to wonder how many of these people actually live here, and how many are posting from outside Thailand. Its actually too bad because there are a lot of readers that post good information etc.

Since most of 2009 has been much quieter than usual, it is assuming that the last 2 months can make up for the shortfall of the rest of the year. I don't think that would be possible. And the info. doesn't match with what I have heard from people in the travel industry.

I agree with you 100%. No matter what is posted in good faith for the readers the negative "stinkin thinkin" people come out of the woodwork to ridicule and put down everybody and everything about Thailand. Its gotten so, even though they have lots of TV readers, TV has gotten a reputation because of these posters.

I have to wonder how many of these people actually live here, and how many are posting from outside Thailand. Its actually too bad because there are a lot of readers that post good information etc.

Your rant aside, there is merit in the marketing concept of creating two separate forums, one for expats confirmed on IP address or similar and one for wannabees, both viewable but not necessarily postable (sp), George, take note.

You do wonder why if things were so rosy hotels would be reducing their prices and online booking agencies such as Agoda even cutting into their commission to undercut others in order to sell rooms to price conscious tourists this 'High' season. Many reosrt on Koh Chang are still very quiet and Loy Krathong was the quietest for a while with very few Thai visitors.

There again, this November is very busy for us, which is all I really care about. But people visiting now are those who didn't have a holiday earlier in the year and so have vacation time to use before the end of the year. That coupled with discounted flights from Europe to Thailand has increased visitors who are looking for good value, rather than splashing out.

<br />I was in Samui 3 weeks ago and it was very quiet.<br />Hotel occupancy was rumored to be in the 35-45% range.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

For the second year running I was on Samui in October, and for the second year running the ladies were complaining about the lack of farang.

On Lamai beach in the evening the tables were unoccupied and the fish unsold.

amazing :D these are indeed people leaving.In fact if visitors to thailand are back to normal where are they going to,Korat perhaps?cos it sure is n't Samui.

:D:) Well the airspace around VTUN/VTUQ (Korat) was quite busy during the past days, but none of them seems to be a F-16 pilot. :D

Yes,what you have said here reminded me of a comment i heard just recently on the topic of TV's reputation.Of course this is all speculation,the story being related from a mate of a mate..ect ect

So the story goes..A newcomer in Thailand used a T.V SPONSOR to assist in his obtaining a year long visa. In doing so,and having a conversation with a worker of the firm here in Bangkok,he enquired of a topic he'd seen on TV and the many opinions that were voiced therin. He was told by the employee words to the affect of...

"Never read Thai visa,its full of bitter old expats who dont know what they're talking about,they will only give you a negative attitude towards Thailand"

When i heard this i felt a need to stand up for the good guys on TV..Lite beer and others of the like who assist so many with SPOT ON advice for visa issues...who often have to repeat the same info time and time again WITHOUT griping that the posters could look up the info on their own if they really wanted to know...and i guess thats the point of the sign over the door that says Thaivisa.

I guess the point im trying to make is that it takes all types to make the forums interesting...even the silly ones are sometimes interesting and the ones about BG's,sinsod,scams ect ect can be a good laugh while at the same time being a valuable warning to us all.

If you need an answer for something that's important listen to a moderator..

If you want an honest well rounded opinion then ask a poster with thousands of posts under his belt..

If you want a laugh read all thats left..and take with a pinch of salt..

Personally,even in the space of a few hours i like a bit of input from all categories :D

even that wooden puppet guy :D

Your rant aside, there is merit in the marketing concept of creating two separate forums, one for expats confirmed on IP address or similar and one for wannabees, both viewable but not necessarily postable (sp), George, take note.

I dont remeber any rules that state your opinion is any less valid if you are posting from within LOS or not..

A lot of guys balance their lives between LOS and the west,doesnt mean they dont have any further relevant interest in Thailand..

Of course I cant speak for george but IMO i dont think he will be to concerned with your suggestion..since even a poster in another country can possibly be a future customer of sponsors,therefor a source of future income for TV

gallery_327_1086_7838.jpg

Tourism Minister: Foreign visitors in 2009 set to reach 14 million as targeted

BANGKOK, Nov 4 (TNA) - Thailand's tourism industry, much affected by domestic political conflicts and the global economic slowdown, has now recovered with about 14 million foreign tourists expected to visit the kingdom in 2009 as earlier targeted, according to Minister of Tourism and Sports Chumphon Silpa-archa.

Mr Chumphon said that more than 9.8 million foreign tourists visited Thailand between January and September, while an average of 30,000 travellers arrived in the kingdom at Suvarnabhumi Airport every day in October.

He said that for 12 days in October, the country's main airport welcomed more than 30,000 tourists daily.

By the end of December, the minister said, the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand for this calendar year will reach or surpass 14 million, the number of visitors the ministry had earlier targeted.

Mr Chumphon added that a number of charter flights landing at the country's renowned seaside resorts of Phuket, Krabi, Phangnga and Samui also increased in the same period, leading to full hotel occupancy in the areas.

In the northern region, especially Chiang Mai, Mr Chumphon said he has been informed by the president of the Chiang Mai Tourism Business Association that the hotel occupancy rate there is between 65 and 80 per cent.

He said it is likely that the number will increase as many interesting events and activities will be held in November and December, the winter season, including the Royal Flora Expo to celebrate the birthday of His Majesty the King on December 5. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/11/04

Even it is true which I hardly doubt it. The tourists here are more frugal and spending less money than

Thailand's Tourism Industry Has Recovered

What a BULLSH_IT!!!

As a travel agency's owner, I can clearly see this "recovery": almost all hotels are 40-50% occupied only (while they were about to 90% last year same dates), the current flow of arrivals is lowered to 50% (or even worse - but who cares now...), all the tourist service's providers also crying for the "fresh meat" - arrivals with full wallets, I meant.......

Frankly speaking, the situation yet is so bad comparing to last year right before the Swamp-umi closure..... Lets wait for the New Year eve - will it better or not.

PS: oh, I forgot where I am. It is just another thai's "recovery" - "same-same but different"... :)

this wishful thinking at best

samui is dead (ok just 80 % of the places not all true) and its not looking like this will change anytime soon

better for living here for locals in quality of life but incomes are way way down that's for sure

This article is another PR campaign to boost confidences... however, it is completely false. We haven't hit the bottom yet, definitely not.

Hotel prices are a bargain and deals are everywhere. The big spenders are just not in thailand at the moment.

The Office of Tourism Development maintains a usable web site where they track arrivals at Swampy each month and have comparisons with the prior year.

Office of Tourism Development

They have been running 10-20% behind the prior year January through July. If you look at August and September they are supposedly slightly above 2008 arrivals. But keep in mind, the base months at the end of 2008 were horrible in Thailand! I'm wondering if they aren't some how extrapolating the monthly "increases" at this time of year to the entire year? For the year they have to down a couple of million at minimum, but apparently they won't let the real numbers get in the way of declaring that all is right again?

Just wait until they get to December 2009. They will have an enormous increase in tourism! :D Of course the airport was closed for 10 days in December 2008, but we won't mention that in declaring the BIG increase in tourist arrivals! :)

~WISteve

I wish this was true for thailand and every other country around the world, but the fact is, the UK where i am from is still in the recession and industry here is not good at all. This is also bad for the airline industry who have just had to apply a new airport tax to flights, meaning people can not afford any sort of holiday. Travel agents are struggling here, so this must impact on the rest of the globe. Work in england is still lacking, more people out of work than a month ago, again no money, no holiday. In 2008 i went to thailand to see my girlfriend 5 times, this year 2009 i have only been able to afford 2 times, simply pay cuts and fuel prices, cost of living in UK. This is still having an impact. Obviously the UK travllers account for only some percentage going to thailand, but realistically, the recession is still going on globally. The USA are saying they are out of it, but if you look deeply into there financial situation, the only way was up for them, it doenst mean thecitizens in USA have any more pocket money, they dont have much at all. Anyway good luck to Thailand for having belief in themselves, but i do think unfortunately they are blinkered to the realism that the world out side are skint and wont be travelling much.

My girlfriend says thailand is very quiet, the markets are empty and the shops like Big C are empty....7/11's are closing down and bars are cheap to buy due to the lack of customers.....4 of her friends have retuned to the country because theres no one to bar fine them. Bless you LOS, keep smiling, maye we will learn to smile with you...X X

PS I cant believe the prices of flights, so expensive and are going up daily

Edited by Sharpie100

...........He said that for 12 days in October, the country's main airport welcomed :D more than 30,000 tourists daily.................

:):D:D

All those ATM's walking around just waiting to be plucked of course they are going to welcome you but don't forget to get out when the money runs out.

The Office of Tourism Development maintains a usable web site where they track arrivals at Swampy each month and have comparisons with the prior year.

Office of Tourism Development

They have been running 10-20% behind the prior year January through July. If you look at August and September they are supposedly slightly above 2008 arrivals. But keep in mind, the base months at the end of 2008 were horrible in Thailand! I'm wondering if they aren't some how extrapolating the monthly "increases" at this time of year to the entire year? For the year they have to down a couple of million at minimum, but apparently they won't let the real numbers get in the way of declaring that all is right again?

Just wait until they get to December 2009. They will have an enormous increase in tourism! :D Of course the airport was closed for 10 days in December 2008, but we won't mention that in declaring the BIG increase in tourist arrivals! :)

~WISteve

STATISTICS...........total manipulation............that seems to be "policy." It makes the country look silly in the eyes of outsiders, but Thais don't care, apparently. They have been doing this sort of thing for years now..........just manipulate the statistics to meet your goals and pat yourself on the back.

The people in and associated with the tourism industry know better.........somebody needs to do a movie: one the one side, happy and optimistic proclamations by officialdom.........on the other side, interviews with people in and associated with the industry. I think the contrast would be obvious.

Yes, of course, numbers are up as they always are at this time of the year (Nov - Jan). But how far up in real terms? I even wonder how many transit passengers they are including...........if that is the case (probably is). They would definitely push numbers of arrivals up.