Prospects For A Middle-aged Maths Teacher

Greetings all.

I am quite keen on a radical career change. I retired early in my mid 30s but was lured back to work by a combination of boredom and the inability to find a job in my profession in Thailand. My reasons for wanting to get out of my profession are now at the forefront of my mind again. I'll work for another year and a half and then take a PGCE in secondary level maths, either in the UK or Hong Kong (I'm British BTW) and then teach for a year or two there; and then look for a maths teaching job in Thailand. By then I'll be in my late 40s. Can anyone comment on my prospects for finding such a job ? Would there be much difference depending on whether I do my PGCE and inital teaching in the UK or HK (my Thai wife is adamant that UK-trained teachers have better prospects). I'm not concerned with salary, but I would like to find a position in Bangkok or Samut Prakan. I don't speak much Thai.

Any other comments or advice also appreciated.

SD

It's good that you're not concerned with salary; but if true, why worry about the full UK training? The only way to cash in on that extra level of qualification is to go to work for one of the relatively few 'true-blue' international high schools- there are several in Bangkok and at least 1 that I know out in Samut Prakarn.

The upside is that the starting salary, assuming you are fully qualified, have had a bit of home-country experience, and are hired outside Thailand, is about as high as it gets for teachers in Thailand.

The downside is that you have to be hired for a position which is open there, at the right time of year, through the proper channels.

The upside is that math is a subject in pretty high demand, so that increases your chances- unless-

The downside once more- what if none of the math teachers leaves any of the schools you want to work for in that year? in which case you have to wait another year.

I don't imagine age would be the biggest factor in their decision, though if I were choosing between 2 teachers in their 40s I'd be more likely to choose the one who had 10-15 years of experience (a career) rather than 1 or 2, all other things being equal (including being hired from abroad).

If you were hoping to retire on the money from that, even at the higher rate paid by the true-blues, I'd say your plan was a troubled one. On the other hand, since you don't care about money, that shouldn't matter....

And...

If money is not the goal, why spend the extra time getting the official licensing and experience? At the moment, a related college degree and PGCE or equivalent is pretty much enough for any of the more legitimate positions teaching a subject in the public or private non-true-blue international programmes at most schools. You will *not* get paid more at those programs simply for having the official license.

. . . then take a PGCE in secondary level maths, . . .

I agree with Ijustwannateach.

You might also really improve your chances/choice of available jobs if you could add "Science" (General or individual subects) to your Maths PGCE as teachers for those subjects/subject combinations also seem to be scarce and desired in Thailand.

ST

We have a couple of teachers who were hired in their early 60's (actually we had 3, but one has since left). They were all in the same office which we used to call the Geriatric Ward.

Depending on what your goal is, it's a good idea to get the proper certification, since Thailand is moving in the direction of degrees and teaching certification. When it will happen, I don't know, but I have a hunch that sometime in the next 5-10-15 years that's how it will be.

If you are looking at a 2nd profession, then be sure this is what you want and make sure you are teaching the subject area that you really like.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies

It's good that you're not concerned with salary; but if true, why worry about the full UK training?

Because, according to my wife, I'm more likely to find a better position. And I mean better in the non-financial sense such as the school itself or the location.

If money is not the goal, why spend the extra time getting the official licensing and experience?

Primarily for the same reason just mentioned.

The only way to cash in on that extra level of qualification is to go to work for one of the relatively few 'true-blue' international high schools

That's exactly what my wife has in mind :-) However, I have an open mind about it. Another reason for wanting some UK or HK teaching experience is that it would give me a better idea of which kind of school I'd be happiest working at.

You might also really improve your chances/choice of available jobs if you could add "Science" (General or individual subects) to your Maths PGCE

That's not possible as far as I know. I'd be interested in teaching physics, but I'm more interested in maths and since my degree is in maths and stats I couldn't easily get on a science PGCE anyway.

Edit:typo

Edited by sonicdragon