Family Moving To Thailand

We are family of four, all Italians, two children age 1 and 3 years. We would like to go to Koh Samui since we'\ve been there couple of times and we love it.

Once settled we would try to do some business there.

I know that Italians do not need visa for stay up to 30 days but we are interested how we can stay for a longer period there.

Prefferably without beeing obliged to go out of the country every 3 months :) with 2 chlidren in order to get extension.

Do you think is possible?

It seems neither of you is over 50, so retirement is out. If you could make an investment of 10 million baht you could stay in Thailand, or when you start your own business.

Till than it seems you will be on 60 day tourist visa's. At best you could get a multiple non-O, needing to leave the country every 90 days. When the oldest child goes to school in Thailand, one of the parents can get an extension of stay based on that if can show 500,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand.

Do you Mario think that if we opened a sort of business, this could be the most convenient thing to do then? Clearly 10M Baths are an important amount, no?

Do you have any information to give me regarding the non-O visa you mention?

There are one or two Consulates in Europe that will issue a Non Imm O Multi Entry Visa for the reason of Visiting Friends and family. This is valid for a year but would mean having to exit and return every 90 days.

The Consulate in Hull would probably be your best bet. Apply by post.

Details can be found here. http://www.thaiconsul.co.uk/downloads-and-visas.aspx

As far as I understood before arriving in Thailand we all need to apply for a non immigrant visa and once arrived there one of us should try to get work permit.

I supose with work permit one can stay in Thailand for a period of up to 1 year without the need to get out of the country every 3 months for extension. Am I right?

What then happens with the immigration status of the spouse and the children?

Do anyone knows if there is a visa for a family reconciliation? How and when one should apply? How long it lasts?

I think Mario has it. I liken your situation to that of some friends:

Husband from UK, wife from Phillipines, and son is not Thai. Ie All foreigners.

Son goes to school here, so wife gets some kind of Dependancy Visa, or Extensions of stay. Husband DOES have a work permit, but only in a small company, so his B visa necessitates a 90 day renewal trip.

Research something like this, i reckon.

Question for Lite Beer: Do you think that the Thai Consulate in Hull would issue a visa to a non UK person/reisdent? I checked their web site and it says that that the applicant needs to have a UK or Ireland adress.

You know we have a little problem.. not only beeing Italians bit we live abroad as well. We live in Carribean and here there is no Thai embassy near by. USA perhaps..