Thaksin Appointed As Adviser Of Cambodian Government

webfact

Update:

Deputy PM Suthep downplays Cambodian PM naming ousted premier Thaksin advisor

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s Deputy PM Suthep Thuagsuban downplayed the naming of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra as the Cambodian PM’s economic and personal advisor and said he believes the action will not affect bilateral ties as it was Cambodian internal affair.

Mr Suthep said he believed there was no need for Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs to make any statement as the appointment was its domestic affair, in which Thailand has no right to protest or obstruct.

He said the bilateral ties between Thailand and Cambodia remain intact.

The Associated Press (AP) reported that Cambodian state television on Tuesday night said King Norodom Sihamoni had officially approved Thaksin's appointment both as an adviser to the government and to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on a personal basis. The appointment was dated October 27.

Mr Hun Sen, during the 15th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Thailand last month, asserted that Mr Thaksin (whom he described as his friend) could stay in Cambodia as a guest of the Cambodian government and could be his economic advisor.

The Khmer PM added that he was not interfering in Thailand's internal affairs but that Cambodia has the right to exercise its sovereignty and make such a decision.

Mr Suthep said, however, if any information proved that Mr Thaksin was in Cambodia, the Thai government would request for extradition immediately.

If Phnom Penh denied the request, the government would then see whether the denial could be done under the international legal framework as the two countries had already signed an extradition treaty, he said.

The personal relations should differentiate between bilateral ties, he added.

Ousted in a bloodless coup, ex-premier Thaksin jumped bail and fled sentencing to a two-year jail term for malfeasance in the controversial Bangkok Ratchadapisek land purchase case. The toppled Thai premier now spends most of his time in the United Arab Emirates after his status as a visitor was rejected by a number of countries including both the United Kingdom and Germany.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-11-05

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the government were smart they'd resort to the old "Thaksin is trying to sell the country" line. Create speculation etc that he wants to help Hun Sen get the the 'rest' of Phea Viharn and any oil concessions in the Gulf of Thailand.

People tend to foreget that the public got really PO'ed with Dear Leader when he sold Sh!tcorp to the Singaporeans. They could easily portray Thaksin lining up against Thailands 'old enemy'.

Reality is Hun Sen is sh!tstiring in internal Thai politics...which is funny as I didn't think ASEAN countries were into getting involved into their fellow members political process....

ahh, well. Hypocracy all around. Again.

Interesting that you believe that the Thai Government should resort to lies about Thaksin.Seems a bit odd since the truth would equally do the trick.

Hun Sen is an unattractive figure on several counts.However if one was in his shoes - heaven forbid - the appointment by the Thai government of a Foreign Minister who has form in using the most inappropriate language about Cambodians does seem a foolish provocation.As I mentioned in another post Hun Sen is actually correct that the pursuit of Thaksin is politically motivated, and in private nobody with background knowledge denies this.

You are deluded incidentally if you think the Thai public as a whole was particularly concerned about the sale of Shin to Temasek, but perhaps the use of the term "Sh!tcorp" is a clue that you may not have a balanced view.Certainly (and leaving aside those who just hated Thaksin) there was a view among those who were threatened by globalisation (ie preferring cosy and inefficient local monopolies - yes, I know that includes Thaksin ) that this was unacceptable, and in some quarters a concern about tax avoidance -although this latter is quite complicated and not at all an open and shut case. It was not a politically smart move in the context of the times, but then ironically enough given his record of enlisting popular support Thaksin has never been very good as a politician.I suppose digressing slightly that the fact someone so clumsy was able to win over the majority of the Thai people demonstrates just how greedy,self serving and neglectful has been the elite's record.

Update:

Deputy PM Suthep downplays Cambodian PM naming ousted premier Thaksin advisor

As Thaksin's aim is to de-stabilize the country this news is bad for him. He would love it if the nationalistic sentiments was drummed up and people started burning down anything reminding people of Cambodia etc, as to spike up the tension with the country in question. It would make sure the nation would not be focused enough on progress and put the nation into further economic strain (if there was any military escalation) as Thailand is a country without any military-industrial complex and as such has to import virtually everything. And that would increase the chance of Thaksin being able to return, hold off the conflict (due to his ties to Huan) and then, just by not being in a conflict and the world economy recovering over the next 5 years, see the nations wealth increase some. And people would think it was all due to him for being so smart when a potted plant could have been in-charge at the time.

So now the government will downplay the job-appointment...good on them.

Could we now also perhaps stop talking about everything he does all the time?

I believe that the major underlying question is to which country will Thaksin owe allegience? There are many times when the interests of both Thailand and Cambodia would be the same, and many more instances when they would be competitive. For example, both countries would want to prevent the srpread of a deadly virus in the region, but when it comes to where insufficient stocks of medicine are distributed the reality takes over and the limits of friendship are exposed.

The financial world is a competitive place and this means that ultimately everyone must choose sides. So which king is Thaksin going to serve? Which people is he going to try to help at the expense of the other? Hun Sen obviously believes that at crunch time Thaksin can be depended upon to put Cambodian interests above the Thais. Is Thaksin going to try to make the Thai people believe that he is only trying to give Cambodia a competitive advantage over Thailand for the benefit of his homeland?

Let's face it, there is no way that his advice can always be good for both Thailand AND Cambodia, and so by switching sides Thaksin has again shown that his loyalty is only to his own bank account.

I believe a clever Thai government would capitalize on this truth by continually stoking the headlies with quotes such as "Thaksin chooses Cambodia over the Thai people." Government comments should hammer away on the idea that it is a disappointment that someone so beloved by so many Thai people would stab them in the back this way," etc.

Let us see what comes next. The Thai government has a media opportunity here. Let's see if they are clever enough to use it.

What elections are you referring to? The last two elections were won by Samak and then Somchai, both Thai Rak Thai. Both of them removed or kicked out using non-democratic measures.

Polls in Thailand I don´t give much for, let´s see what happens if we get a real election again. But then again, maybe that's why they are stalling the elections indefinitely.

The current government is NOT elected, it's installed. A minor difference. :D

:) I can't seem to recall that Somchai won any election. I must have been asleep.

The financial world is a competitive place and this means that ultimately everyone must choose sides. So which king is Thaksin going to serve? Which people is he going to try to help at the expense of the other? Hun Sen obviously believes that at crunch time Thaksin can be depended upon to put Cambodian interests above the Thais. Is Thaksin going to try to make the Thai people believe that he is only trying to give Cambodia a competitive advantage over Thailand for the benefit of his homeland?

Let's face it, there is no way that his advice can always be good for both Thailand AND Cambodia, and so by switching sides Thaksin has again shown that his loyalty is only to his own bank account.

Thaksin has no loyalty to anyone but himself and possibly a few of his cronies. Interesting how the Thai government will respond to this, and how the Thai electorate feel about Thaksin jumping on board the Cambodian side.

Update:

Thaksin thanks Hun Sen for appointing him as adviser

Fugitive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Thursday that it is an honour for him that Cambodian government appointed him as an economic adviser for the premier and the government.

"I would like to thank (Cambodia's Prime Minister)'s Hun Sen for appointing me as his economic adviser," Thaksin said in his twitter (Thaksinlive).

King Sihamoni signed the Royal Decree of the appointment of Thaksin Shinawatra on Oct 27. The appointment was made in accordance with the country's constitutions and at the request of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-05

Cambodian political forces have played off Thai forces and Vietnamese forces against internal forces for centuries. They are masters of intrigue and betrayal. Pol Pot purged the majority of his closest aides over the years without blinking an eye. Hun Sen would also have no scruples about purging Thaksin once he was no longer needed or perceived as a nuisance or threat. At the same time, I hate to think about what kind of economic advise Thaksin is likely to hand out. To expats living in Thailand he is best remembered for closing down the foreigners' favourite entertainment venues and hours of operation and making it increasingly difficult to live in the Kingdom unless you could afford to buy a condo and spend your days golfing at the various private clubs that popped up around that time.

I am amazed at how anti-Taksin most of the members of the forum are - and how pro-Taksin so many of the normal ordinary Thais are - Could the reason be that as PM he did lots for the poor and disenfrancised and very little for the elite (of which the expats and other members are part). Well then, as there are a lot more of the have-nots or have-very-little - than the have-enoughs, and have-a-lots in Thailand - we should see his political return at the next free and fair election - what ever we think.

I find it very interesting, that while Taksin was PM in Thailand, he and his businesses were the largest single investors in Cambodia, it was Hun Sen's hour long speech on Cambodian radio, misquoting/quoting out of context a Thai movie star over Ankor Wat that rallied the Cambodians into destroying Thai businesses and Embassy in Cambodia which got Thaksin steamed up enough to order the Cambodian Embassy here closed, prompting the King to step in and tell Taksin to cool down.

There's an old saying "keep your friends close and your enemies even closer". Hun Sen may just be playing his cards to get Taksin and his money where he wants them. Guns are cheap in Cambodia and Hun Sen controls more than anyone else.

Edited by John71

:D The dream team of South East Asia. Could become a major issue. :)

Maybe not. They both may get a Nobel Peace Prize. Obama (the do nothing chosen one), Jimmy C. who allowed Iran to be the dangerous country it is and kept Americans as prisoners in inhumane conditions for 445 days, and Yassir Arafat, a professional and accomplished terrorist (Achille Lauro when he pushed Mr. Klinghoffer's, an invalid, over board sending him to his death by drowning) all got a Nobel Peace Prize. Is there anything crazier than the Norwegian panel of judges that award those prizes? All that is in keeping with what goes on in Cambodia.

Oy vey!

Pisico :D

The Khmer Rouge Killing Fields participant meets the Thai Drug War Massacre director.

Sounds like a lovely match made in heaven. I hope they remember their condoms.

I defy you to present any evidence to support your claim that Hun Sen was ever a participant in the atrocities at the Killing Fields.

You should think very carefully before writing such inflammatory remarks. People have been sued for less. :)

Has everyone forgotten that Taksin and his government were twice removed from office illegally, and that he still has the majority support of the people of Thailand?

I suspect that right now the people of Issan and the north still feel bitter and angry over their democratically elected government being removed, and perhaps will show more alegiance to Cambodia then Thailand...for the time being at least!

Taksin hasn't gone away, and this move will prove to be either a PR disaster, or a cleverly calculated stroke of genius.

He is poised and ready to pounce....he is bitter, angry and seeks not only power, but revenge. He is waiting for a development with the real leader of this country, and then he will strike.

I admire Hun Sen to be so patient with the current aggressive Thai government.

Anyway, Hun Sen shows he has no problem with Thailand: he takes a Thai man as an adviser.

It's even excellent: as soon as Thailand will have a normal government, friendship between the two countries will be as good as usual.

I see what you are saying, but I don't admire Hun Sen. And if I were Thaksin, I would be cautious about accepting any favors from him.

Thaksin makes a tough opponent and that is good, after all their are far more people who sympathize with Thaksin than who oppose him.

Facts isn't your strong side.

The majority of people are clearly not with him, as both the recent elections and polls have shown. Or even demonstrations...

The two gangs out in the streets are minorities and represent minorities, don't forget that.

What elections are you referring to? The last two elections were won by Samak and then Somchai, both Thai Rak Thai. Both of them removed or kicked out using non-democratic measures.

Polls in Thailand I don´t give much for, let´s see what happens if we get a real election again. But then again, maybe that's why they are stalling the elections indefinitely.

The current government is NOT elected, it's installed. A minor difference. :)

Hahaha, you are a moderator, wow...

If you by elections are referring to people going to the booths, then neither Samak nor Somchai won anything. They were part of a party that got a minority of the votes and then later formed a coalition government under which Samak was first PM elected before he was removed from the position for his unconstitutional salary from the tv show. PPP then THEMSELVES decided to not re-instate him. They could have, since the constitution is still flawed. But they chose not to. Nothing else. Somchai was voted out from the MPs in the coalition, not by any election by the population. All according to process. Same as Abhisit.

But again we see that when facts fail, some of you invent their own...

Please tell me the different between the elections of Samak, Somchai and Abhisit. Mail the answer on a postcard.

Not really a moderator in that sense, just got the status for another project. So my views does not represent Thaivisa, whom of course is objective. :D

You might be correct technically, but if we are going down that road on how people were removed and shuffled, it starts to get really complicated. I doubt any of us have the full details on what really was, and is, happening in the corridors of power around here. My reflection was on the bigger picture, there is no doubt TRT was removed because of pressure from certain groups that lost big money on Thaksin's politics. The current government is still not elected by peoples vote, and considering the fear and paranoia they have about Thaksin, it's obvious they are not sure they would win if they held elections today.

I am not inventing anything, just looking at it for what it is. If Thaksin did not have the majority of the votes, why did they oust him? They could just have waited for the next election and things would've solved themselves, right?

For my part, I tend to agree with another poster, who stated that he tried not to get involved in local politics, and has long as he could get by, he didn't care what was going on.

I have a friend who gets into the local politics and is always complaining about what is going on and stressing out about it. IMO it is best not to worry about it because you cannot change it in any way whatsoever, it is equivalent to living in a banana republic, and the antics of the "players" concerned is laughable, with corruption the major force.

Worry about things that you can control, or at least can have a say in, that way you will live longer, and sit back and watch the whole show as something that has been produced in a Disney studio.

This is like a game of poker: I'll see your Phra Wirahan and raise you one Thaksin! :)

The Phra Wirahan is just a bluff.

The real point are the dispute in the gulf borders with the oil and gas. Both Thailand and Cambodia claim them.

The temple has zero value but is nice to mobilize some nationalists.

The temple area is no bluff. If they get the world to accept that the tmeple and land is Cambodia by the map made bytthe french then it goes without saying they accept the same map for the area where the so called "Oil" is off shore.

Thaksin and Sen have brought up huge parcels of land off of Koh Kong for the next super casin/resort

Has everyone forgotten that Taksin and his government were twice removed from office illegally, and that he still has the majority support of the people of Thailand?

No, he and they wasn't.

- He was ousted from his imaginary position as a caretaker PM when his party failed to even use election fraud to get the votes needed for the election to not be declare void and null.

- His puppet-party was not ousted, the coalition simply shattered as some switched side (back to the side they SAID they would support during the ELECTION. So one could argue that they NOW suddenly did indeed follow the wish of the people...but don't let that fact bother you). Some MPs was removed, but that isn't the same thing. Unless you condone election fraud.

You might be correct technically, but

I like that part. And my 'technical correct' assertion is 100% opposite to yours. What does that say about yours?

if we are going down that road on how people were removed and shuffled, it starts to get really complicated.

No, it doesn't.

Like in any coalition setup, we know there is horse-trading. Nothing complicated about that. How do you think the first coalition was formed? Against some of the parties own election slogans...

I doubt any of us have the full details on what really was, and is, happening in the corridors of power around here. My reflection was on the bigger picture, there is no doubt TRT was removed because of pressure from certain groups that lost big money on Thaksin's politics.

That was surely one aspect, but there was much more. The fear that he was aiming for a life-time appointment was a real one too.

The current government is still not elected by peoples vote

The current government is elected by the peoples vote.

Please show us any proof it isn't.

The current government is NOT elected, it's installed. A minor difference. :)

Thanks for spreading your BS around. Should make the grass green quickly.

You forgot one thing - which I am sure you didn't really forget, but instead chose to ignore.

There has been one election - in 2007. That election has produced 3 prime ministers. Samak, Somchai, and Abhisit. All three became prime minister the same way. MP's voted and installed them. Samak and Somchai were in the PPP, no TRT. Both were removed in ENTIRELY democratic measures. Samak broke a law, and was removed. Somchai's party was dissolved for election fraud, by the Constitution Court. Smaller parties grew tired of the TRT/PPP/PTP nonsense, and joined together to form a legal ruling government.

So what does this all mean - it means you need to refrain from debating with the big boys until you can at least give an opinion using facts and not personal op/ed as a substitute for facts.

Edited by LawnGnome

(Regarding the post some steps above and the succeeding answers to the factual inaccuracies of it:) Now imagine when non-stationed journalists use some uninformed friends and sources as basis for their articles, and people wonder why we get such odd articles in the world press...articles that some Red fans just love to show as if they would suddenly become facts if they are printed outside the country.

Edited by TAWP

The current government gonna look stupid when Thaksin is lifting Cambodia. Then after a few years the Thais will wonder "What happened"?

Since when has Taksin lifted anybody? He will make some grandiose schemes, take people for a ride and pocket the money.

The current government gonna look stupid when Thaksin is lifting Cambodia. Then after a few years the Thais will wonder "What happened"?

Yes he might lift the "Few" in the country as he is good at working within a corupt regime but time will show he is the usual slime ball and has no respect for human life...i.e. drug wars here. He will be good at what he will be asked to do but at what price? The "Show goes on" ...................

This is like a game of poker: I'll see your Phra Wirahan and raise you one Thaksin! :)

The Phra Wirahan is just a bluff.

The real point are the dispute in the gulf borders with the oil and gas. Both Thailand and Cambodia claim them.

The temple has zero value but is nice to mobilize some nationalists.

Now that is a bet I would take. I would bet none of them see much value in Phra Wirahan or Thaksin beyond what help they might be in gaining an upper hand.

Both governments are trying to do anything they can to get any edge in the upcoming dispute over offshore oil and gas reserves. As the west already knows.....you control the energy you control everything.