Thaksin Appointed As Adviser Of Cambodian Government

webfact

The ordinary people in rural Thailand may see Thaksin as the champion, certainly around here they do, however also around here the Kamen are the deserving down trodden temporary immigrant minority accepting lower wages and conditions than the Thai and thus deserving of contempt. It isn't out of memory that the Thai government handed weapons to the peasants, to defend against Khmer raids, mines are still a local problem, and there are enough soldiers here within my local tambon to defend a state in Australia.

I think Thaksin is gradually fading in the national consciousness am prepared to accept that this might be a naive newbie view given that I haven't really followed the politics until recently. However Cambodia must know that Thaksin's return becomes more unlikely every day ergo it is a stir the pot exercise. What economic advice does Cambodia need, sell more cheap crap to the west or anyone, keep the people poor, and exploit any resources available

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would there be enough legal reason to revoke Thaksin's Thai citizenship because of this? I'm sure they've worked it out so it wouldn't be illegal, but still, that just seems like a really slimy thing to do. Then again, it is Tahksin, what can we expect from the little Hitler.

Maybe you can revoke a Visa, how can any country possibly revoke someones Nationality?????????????????????/

Please advise.

Hmmm, when you apply and granted citizenship in a new country in most cases you must revoke your previous citizenship.

Or if you exercise a right which is only available to a citizen of that country, like voting in an election, you may have your citizenship revoked! I said you "may" not

you will!

I like that part. And my 'technical correct' assertion is 100% opposite to yours. What does that say about yours?
I doubt any of us have the full details on what really was, and is, happening in the corridors of power around here. My reflection was on the bigger picture, there is no doubt TRT was removed because of pressure from certain groups that lost big money on Thaksin's politics.

That was surely one aspect, but there was much more. The fear that he was aiming for a life-time appointment was a real one too.

The current government is still not elected by peoples vote

The current government is elected by the peoples vote.

Please show us any proof it isn't.

What I meant was, I was wrong on the two elections, there was only one in 2007 after Thaksin got booted.

So you're technically correct on that issue. My bad.

For the rest of the arguments, I rest my case. If one really believes that everything has been done according to "entirely democratic measures", I guess I am not qualified to play with the self appointed "big boys". :)

And if I understood you correct, the justification for the coup was based on suspicion that Thaksin conspired to make himself life-time president, while sitting in a sauna in Finland? Cool!

By the 'basic laws on the books',

and of the 2007 constitution that the Thai People voted yea on ,

and by the fact that those who voted for Abhisit as PM,

being Elected Ministers of Parliament, by the Thai People in an open election,

Abhisit and the Dems are legally and fully the government of Thailand.

As recognized even by the likes of Hun Sen and the MKyanmar Junta,

as well as legitimate leaders such as Brown, Sarkozy, Obama, Medvedev,

and so many others world wide.

Any other opinion, leaning on post coup sour grapes, is missing the basic point,

almost EVERY Government and Constitution in Thailand's history,

have been Post-Coup institutions. So nothing new or unusual.

Look at Israel, currently run by a MINORITY lead coalition, because the winner

could NOT put or keep a coalition together. It is totally LEGAL,

and the same as Thailands coalition.

The only ones to benefit from the LESS strict 1997 constitution being brought back,

are the people who broke laws in the 2007 one, and lost their seats at the table for 5 years.

And don't confuse Pheu Thai's wild, ranting, gyrations in pretense of a real opposition party,

they are not, haven't even attempted a true policy based Shadow government.

They have one aim, discredit the current government at ALL COSTS,

in the hope of bringing back their leader Thaksin in any way that does it.

So if PTP says the constitution is not correct, in spite of tyhe peoples endorsement

and that the current government isn't legal, in spite of EVERY legal challenge they have made being rebuffed;

You can clearly see that;

their veracity, and grasp of reality, or at least true governance functionality,

is severely impaired at best. At worse a horrendous mendacity of world class proportions,

inverse to their purported goodwill towards the Thai People as a whole.

The last two elections were won by Samak and then Somchai, both Thai Rak Thai.

For such a short sentence, you've managed to squeeze in a lot of inaccuracy there. Good work.

Yes, it doesn't quite set a record, but it makes the list for sure.

In public voting Abhisit won EXACTLY the same way Samak did.

They were both voted in as MP's, then a coalition voted each in as PM's.

And that is how it is done on BOTH 1997 and 2007 constitutions.

Anyone have the election constituency numbers for

Abhisit, Somchai and Samaks MP election result totals?

Might be interesting to compare them.

Where's SJ when we need a answer like this....

Edited by animatic

So, when will Thaksin be promoted to "Doctor Honoris Causa in Economics at an University?

At least, Thaiksin didn't need the help of a few anarchists like Sondhi to hold into ransom a Government House and 2 National Airports to become Prime Minister like Abhisit.

Thaksin, the people of Issan loves you.

The people of Isaan may love him, but unfortunately for Thaksin, the people of Isaan don't matter. Guns and money are against him, he's got nothing but popularity which rarely counts for much in military-dominated politics in SE Asia.

It's amazing to see how many people here actually believes the current government are any less corrupt compared with previous ones. For anyone living here pre-Thaksin, you would know how many things actually improved during his time. Not without faults, but the situation for most Thais improved considerably. To even think that corruption in high places ended with Thaskin's departure is nothing more than pure stupidity.

But then again, we do rely on the Infinite monkey theorem here. :)

Yes, posters her are emotive about Taksin, this unfortunately short circuits any chance of rational or analytical thought for even those that were capable of it. The rah rah nonsense you read here quite frankly is boring and repetitive for the most part. Can only assume most here are recent arrivals.

I may be wrong (I frequently am :) ), but I think the appointment is a win-win situation for Hun Sen. If Thaksin somehow uses Cambodia as a springboard to get back into power, he will owe Hun Sen big time & will probably cut a deal with the temple and with the disputed gas and oil fields (with, of course, a kickback to ShinCorp.). If, on the other hand, Thaksin comes on board as an advisor but his popularity in Thailand wanes, Hun Sen can use him as a bargaining chip to make a better deal with the current Thai Govt.

I really can't see that Thaksin has much to gain by accepting Hun Sen's offer. The die-hard Reds will just accept the Khmer as brothers in arms, but a large chunk of the xenophobic Thai voting public won't be thrilled with a move like that.

Stop shooting the messenger. Hun Sen DID NOT sign Thaksin appointnment. I wonder who did? Why can't you people blame the correct person.

2009-11-05 11:12:57

Hun Sen may be a fool. But the person signing it is not. Please do not insult Cambodia in her highest form.

2009-11-05 11:27:09

Is Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni also on Thaksin payroll? Or only Hun Sen?

Not sure what your message is Yoshitaka.

Earlier on you were accusing posters of l*s*-m*j*ste for the K*ng of C*mb*d**. now you're doing it?

Can anybody tell me the status of H.M the K*ng of C*mb*d** on Thaivisa or in Thailand?

Can he be criticised? Have the laws been changed since the Cambodian governments announcement? :)

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that all monarchies everywhere are wonderful institutions. I'd like to be very clear on that. That's my declared position and I have no further statement on the matter.

Unless there's a revolution in whatever country I'm living in at the time.

Next stop Burma? They could sure use some help on economics too. Perhaps another war on drugs, this time targetting producers who don't meet their export targets to Thailand.

LOL-excellent reply.

Cambodian political forces have played off Thai forces and Vietnamese forces against internal forces for centuries. They are masters of intrigue and betrayal. Pol Pot purged the majority of his closest aides over the years without blinking an eye. Hun Sen would also have no scruples about purging Thaksin once he was no longer needed or perceived as a nuisance or threat. At the same time, I hate to think about what kind of economic advise Thaksin is likely to hand out. To expats living in Thailand he is best remembered for closing down the foreigners' favourite entertainment venues and hours of operation and making it increasingly difficult to live in the Kingdom unless you could afford to buy a condo and spend your days golfing at the various private clubs that popped up around that time.

I was wondering when someone would bring up Thaksin's efforts to purge Thailand of farangs from Australia, NZ, SA, Canada, the U.S. & Europe. Thaksin hate anyone who was White. If he were still in power it would be very difficult for any of us to live in Thailand. I'm sure he would invite all the Chinese that had any money to settle here. Was it Thaksin that put in this stupid law - surely the most stupid law in place of any country in the world - that alcohol cannot be purchased between the evening hours of 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.? That and censoring on TV a person putting a cigarette to their mouthes. I was in Pattaya when he was overthrown in 2006. That was one of the happiest days of my life. A man that hates me simply because of my skin color, I have no use for. To those farangs who praise that crook, look back and remember just how much he hated you and wanted you out of Thailand.

Cambodian political forces have played off Thai forces and Vietnamese forces against internal forces for centuries. They are masters of intrigue and betrayal. Pol Pot purged the majority of his closest aides over the years without blinking an eye. Hun Sen would also have no scruples about purging Thaksin once he was no longer needed or perceived as a nuisance or threat. At the same time, I hate to think about what kind of economic advise Thaksin is likely to hand out. To expats living in Thailand he is best remembered for closing down the foreigners' favourite entertainment venues and hours of operation and making it increasingly difficult to live in the Kingdom unless you could afford to buy a condo and spend your days golfing at the various private clubs that popped up around that time.

I was wondering when someone would bring up Thaksin's efforts to purge Thailand of farangs from Australia, NZ, SA, Canada, the U.S. & Europe. Thaksin hate anyone who was White. If he were still in power it would be very difficult for any of us to live in Thailand. I'm sure he would invite all the Chinese that had any money to settle here. Was it Thaksin that put in this stupid law - surely the most stupid law in place of any country in the world - that alcohol cannot be purchased between the evening hours of 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.? That and censoring on TV a person putting a cigarette to their mouthes. I was in Pattaya when he was overthrown in 2006. That was one of the happiest days of my life. A man that hates me simply because of my skin color, I have no use for. To those farangs who praise that crook, look back and remember just how much he hated you and wanted you out of Thailand.

Exactly my sentiment as a former ex-pat.

So, when will Thaksin be promoted to "Doctor Honoris Causa in Economics at an University?

At least, Thaiksin didn't need the help of a few anarchists like Sondhi to hold into ransom a Government House and 2 National Airports to become Prime Minister like Absint.

The present government is missing the boat by not throwing the peasants of Isaan a few crumbs like Thaksin did. They think he was a savior. For some reason as poor as the vast majority of the people in Isaan are, it didn't concern them that the billionaire Thaksin refused to pay taxes when he sold Shin Corp to the dictator Lee of Singapore - a fellow Chinese. Thaksin hobnobbed with the Communist Chinese officials in China and now is big buddies with a Khmer Rouge butcher. Still, the people of Isaan love the man who sides with Cambodia. The closer Thaksin gets to Thailand the more trouble his Red Shirts will cause. Thaksin is willing to make certain that the world think that Thailand is unstable, thus losing Thailand and its people many corporations and businesses. He cares about himself, no one else. As a Westerner living in Thailand, I remember the hatred Thaksin had for us Western farangs. Did not His Majesty the King have a meeting with Thaksin because of Thaksin's inflammatory anti-Western statements? How soon farangs living in Thailand forget that if Thaksin had had his way, every one of us would have been kicked out of Thailand?

Is it a coincidence that whenever people state the views of Thai people they have met, those Thai people invariably seem to have the same opinion as they do?

Unless you can name names, seems to me to be a cheap and easy method of substaniating your own thoughts.

No, I won't name my g/f's parents or relatives, just reporting what they said. (Although I did mention in another thread that the surname has a "Na" in it. :D)
The ordinary people in rural Thailand may see Thaksin as the champion, certainly around here they do, <snip>
Names, please. :)
The people of Isaan may love him, <snip>
And you! Names! :D

The present government is missing the boat by not throwing the peasants of Isaan a few crumbs like Thaksin did. They think he was a savior.<snip>

Exactly - he was very clever, had great PR and took credit for all sorts of stuff, like the 30 baht hospital scheme, which I don't think was his idea anyway. For some reason, the people in my g/f's village up north also think he gave money to fix the roads - whether he did or nor I don't know.

Abhisit is Mr. Nonentity to them - does nothing for them, so they don't want him.

monkeyo.jpg

monkeyo.jpg

Mmmmm.

Well from my Thai families point of view , non of that is really important.

He did however, help the family out of debt from loans ,, freely given out by the previous Goverment,, here in the North East.

Abhisit is Mr. Nonentity to them - does nothing for them, so they don't want him.

Sad but true.....I think he is unfortunate to come to where he is , by the means in which he arrived.

I,m sure he would,nt have wished for it.

this is totally amazing.. Thaksin has no shame at all. Now the Thai people are seeing exactly what he is. A greedy, insane businessman, with no cares what so ever for his people. but what the hey, Cambodia is a lot closer than Dubai, if someone was actually wanting to get rid of him. right? And I hear, it's even cheaper to hire those type of people in Cambodia. I mean, what Cambodian would give a crap about whacking some Thai. :)

Please forgive my ignorance, but in just a sentence or two could you tell me what has Thaksin really done to cause so many Thai people to hate him and want to imprison him? From what I have been seeing, the people in the provinces love him. What am i missing?

At least, Thaiksin didn't need the help of a few anarchists like Sondhi to hold into ransom a Government House and 2 National Airports to become Prime Minister like Absint.

Where there's love who needs (Thaksin and his) money? Luv conquers all, right?!?

Thaksin is going to camp out in Cambodia where his axis partners can much more easily meet with him, scheme for the inevitable, and make his move. The guy wants to own Thailand and Thailand Inc, to include Cambodia, and will stop at nothing to try to realize his mad purpose and goal. The guy is a wounded animal and desperate, which isn't the best state of mind or emotional condition.

The government should confiscate his assets and distribute them to the poorest of the poor. And Thaksin should sing the praises of the government for doing such. And then pigs will fly.

What you are missing (deliberately) is that he is a crook.

Bad news for the reputation of Cambodia.

A crook? What did he do other than sell his telecomm company? I am serious. What has been proven about him that he deserves to be hated and imprisoned? :)

A crook? What did he do other than sell his telecomm company? I am serious. What has been proven about him that he deserves to be hated and imprisoned? :)

Proven against Thaksin is his record, which has been specified and stated in particulars at TV for a good number of years. We are not the medium of record, but there is a record of those who have been here and who have experienced Thaksin in government, who have observed, and who have the input of Thais. We also know and recognize a cheap and exploitative populist anti-democracy dictator when we see one. We know too well about such things from our own history. And here it has been live and in living color before our own eyes, right out of the history books.

A crook? What did he do other than sell his telecomm company? I am serious. What has been proven about him that he deserves to be hated and imprisoned? :D

Proven against Thaksin is his record, which has been specified and stated in particulars at TV for a good number of years. We are not the medium of record, but there is a record of those who have been here and who have experienced Thaksin in government, who have observed, and who have the input of Thais. We also know and recognize a cheap and exploitative populist anti-democracy dictator when we see one. We know too well about such things from our own history. And here it has been live and in living color before our own eyes, right out of the history books.

Which part of his 'proven' record do you disagree with? Was it his economic policies like the village-managed microcredit development funds or the low-interest agricultural loans? Between 2000 and 2004, income in the poorest part of the country, the Northeast, rose 40 per cent while nationwide poverty fell from 21.3 per cent to 11.3 per cent. I would LOVE to see that kind of 'crookedness' anywhere.

Was it his universal healthcare that provided insurance for citizens that never had access to healthcare before? Or did the number of people living with HIV/AIDS as well as the overall prevalence rate noticeably decline cause you to become so filled with anger toward Thaksin?

Or was it the landslide election victory in 2001, when he became the the country's first prime minister to serve a full term?

Sorry, I dont buy all this hate for him as being legitimate. Every politician is disliked by somebody. The difference is not everybody has the ability to use the media to brainwash people.

I see jealousy from members of high society being parrotted in the media and most of the allegations being as not valid. The only conviction that I can find is one alleging conflict of interest by allowing his wife to purchase a piece of property from the Financial Institutions Development Fund. <shrug>

Your arguement, that he is a crook, deserves only response: EPIC FAIL :)

The current government gonna look stupid when Thaksin is lifting Cambodia. Then after a few years the Thais will wonder "What happened"?

the possibility of another emerging major economy in the region is a real possibility here - tourism is untouched - lots of natural resources - new international contact, especially with the wealthy gulf states who might be happy to pump some loans into the country -- case of the sleeping tiger might be waking with the right guidance - all the while the local political stage is teetering and is looking more like the Titanic every day - Cambodia has as much to offer in tourism potential as LOS has - just needs some direction. will be interesting to say the least

COMMENT

What is Thaksin prepared to do now?

By The Nation

Published on November 6, 2009

Thaksin Shinawatra claimed it was "an honour" to be appointed Cambodia's economic adviser. As his motherland is staring at a major diplomatic row with a close neighbour and businessmen in both countries are bracing themselves for an unpredictable impact, there is a thin line between "honour" and "shame".

In his fight to clear his name, Thaksin has stopped at virtually nothing. And even after the Thai ambassador to Phnom Penh was recalled and Bangkok decided to cut assistance to Cambodia, he showed no signs of guilt, concern or remorse. Bangkok was being childish and overreacting, he tweeted.

Thaksin's blurring sense of patriotism is understandable. Having been ousted by a military coup, convicted for a crime he refuses to accept and seen his own political movement neutralised one after another, he can be forgiven for trying to embarrass his opponents who are holding the reins of power. But everything has its boundary - and Thaksin has crossed it.

Only he and Cambodian Premier Hun Sen know whether the controversial asylum offer and the economic-adviser appointment were out of the latter's own goodwill or the former Thai leader had a hand in it. But even if Thaksin had nothing to do with the Cambodian moves, the least he could have done is show he cared about his country.

A neighbourly row of this nature can easily encompass the fighting colours in Thai politics. It threatens the whole country, be it yellows or reds or neutral Thais. Disruption of trade, border blockades, troop redeployment and the subsequent mounting tension on the already-strained relations will not discriminate against anyone.

Thaksin could have said "No, but thank you" to the Cambodian offer, but he has chosen to inflame the situation by saying the Thai government was overreacting, like a child. This came from someone who should have known better, who witnessed first-hand as a Thai leader what misunderstandings between the countries could lead to and who was on the verge of sending commandos into Cambodia himself to rescue Thai diplomats and businessmen running for their lives from angry torch-wielding protesters.

The difference between now and then is the attack on the Thai Embassy may have been caused by an accident, but this time there are people who seemingly want it to happen. Thaksin stands out among them. Hun Sen cannot drag himself into the Thai fray without Thaksin showing the way. If Thaksin's opponents' hardline stand on the Preah Vihear conflict was what first strained bilateral relations, things took a major turn for the worse when Thaksin's representative, Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, visited Phnom Penh and kick-started the asylum-offer episode.

What is Thaksin prepared to do now? On one side is a country he once called home, where he is both loved and loathed, but on the other side is a place that is offering him comfort. A truly grateful man would do anything but pit both countries against each other.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/06

sms-footer.gif