International Dl For Thai Wife

gburns57au

I am looking at getting the missus an Intertnational Driving Licence when we are in Thailand, Looking to then convert that to an Oz Licence later.

What is required for a Thai to get an international licence, her Thai DL is current until 2011

Thanks for any info

I am looking at getting the missus an Intertnational Driving Licence when we are in Thailand, Looking to then convert that to an Oz Licence later.

What is required for a Thai to get an international licence, her Thai DL is current until 2011

Thanks for any info

I'm not sure how you apply for an International Driving Permit in Thailand, but as far as I am aware you cannot "convert" an IDP to a driving licence in another country. An IDP must always be used in conjunction with the driving licence of the country in which it was issued. Therefore once in Aus your wife will be converting her Thai licence to an Australian licence (rules will apply in Aus for this), not the IDP.

Having just gone through this I can tell you. You have to go to the land transport department just about oppisite Chatuchak market in Mochit. It is easy to get to. Mochit BTS is about 800 metres down the road. The only provision for attaining an international licence is that you be on a full Thai drivers licence. The first year is considered probationry although it is not stated anywhere. Once she has the international she can drive anywhere in OZ. Now here is the bad news to convert to an OZ licence you don't need an International licence anyway you just need your valid Thai licence. But most states in OZ before giving out a licence will ask the person to have a driving test. They have been burned before with people obtaining licences fraudalently that could not actualy drive to any decent standard.

My wifes friend had this small test and her Thai licence was cut up in front of her by the motor registry. She ran through a stop light and hit a pedestrian not badly thank goodness on her test. She had to drive up the footpath to acheive this.

Having just gone through this I can tell you. You have to go to the land transport department just about oppisite Chatuchak market in Mochit. It is easy to get to. Mochit BTS is about 800 metres down the road. The only provision for attaining an international licence is that you be on a full Thai drivers licence. The first year is considered probationry although it is not stated anywhere. Once she has the international she can drive anywhere in OZ. Now here is the bad news to convert to an OZ licence you don't need an International licence anyway you just need your valid Thai licence. But most states in OZ before giving out a licence will ask the person to have a driving test. They have been burned before with people obtaining licences fraudalently that could not actualy drive to any decent standard.

My wifes friend had this small test and her Thai licence was cut up in front of her by the motor registry. She ran through a stop light and hit a pedestrian not badly thank goodness on her test. She had to drive up the footpath to acheive this.

Did you notice I have been a member for 4 years and that was my first post!! Cheers broke the cherry.

Did you notice I have been a member for 4 years and that was my first post!! Cheers broke the cherry.

How could I not respond to that... :)

Thanks for the info....looks like my wife will have to do the long way then....

Edited by gburns57au