Usual Tourist Request

Daewoo

So I have only been to Patters once before for a single day, so don't really know anything...

I like the beer bar/pool bar scene, not really into Gogo's, that got old 10 years ago... When in BKK I like to sit outside the bars in Soi Cowboy and watch the kaos... only been inside them to use the haawng naam in years... Don't do ST/LT, just drinking, pool, and having a laugh...

I've been told that Soi 6 is more my scene, but that was from a guy who goes to Pattaya for very different reasons to myself...

I am a bit concerned about how the Baht buses work... I don't know where I am going, so don't know where to get off, and don't want a private hire...

To that end, it seems like I want to find a hotel in Central Pattaya so that I am within walking distance of Soi 6... does that seem right...

Would probably like to go to Walking Street to sit outside and people watch, but worried about getting back to my hotel when they call stumps... I will usually be pretty 'happy' by then... so I wonder if I would be better in South Pattaya (I only know that there is a Central and South Pattaya from looking at the maps)...

Any entertainment and hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated... aiming for something around 1000THB... will only be in town for a couple of nights on my way up North...

I know that many of you are thinking "Use the dam_n search function"... I did, for a few hours, as well as TripAdvisor, but no real answers to my questions...

Thanks in advance...

Daewoo

Soi 6 somehow doesn't seem to fit with what you want to do - people watching maybe :)

Why not look at Sabai Lodge (Soi 2) or Sabai Resort (2nd Road). There are enough bars in that area where you can people watch. You can also go to Yuth's Bar listen to live music, play pool or sit and watch the world walk by. Its not far to walk to Soi 6 from this area if you feel the need to look.

The new Holiday Inn in North Pattaya has some great deals right now - but may be outside your budget. I've also heard some good reports about the Ibis Hotel in North Pattaya, also has good offers. And the Sabai Wing on soi 1 is offering rooms at 900 baht right now.

I would suggest that for people watching Walking Street would bhe your best bet. There are several bars there set up specifically for that (comfy chairs facing the street).

The baht busses are easy to figure out. For you there are basically two routes you need to know: one going south on Beach Road as far as Walking Street; and the other going north on 2nd Road as far as the Dolphin Roundabout. Just jump on one (don't talk to the driver), press the bell when you want to get off (not necessary for Walking Street as they stop there anyway) and pay the driver 10 baht. Sometimes they will go off the route down some side soi - no worries just get off, pay the driver (only 5 baht if a short trip), and get the next bus (probably a wait of 20 seconds or less).

Thirdly (was there a firstly and secondly?), ENJOY yourself.

The new Holiday Inn in North Pattaya has some great deals right now - but may be outside your budget. I've also heard some good reports about the Ibis Hotel in North Pattaya, also has good offers. And the Sabai Wing on soi 1 is offering rooms at 900 baht right now.

I would suggest that for people watching Walking Street would bhe your best bet. There are several bars there set up specifically for that (comfy chairs facing the street).

The baht busses are easy to figure out. For you there are basically two routes you need to know: one going south on Beach Road as far as Walking Street; and the other going north on 2nd Road as far as the Dolphin Roundabout. Just jump on one (don't talk to the driver), press the bell when you want to get off (not necessary for Walking Street as they stop there anyway) and pay the driver 10 baht. Sometimes they will go off the route down some side soi - no worries just get off, pay the driver (only 5 baht if a short trip), and get the next bus (probably a wait of 20 seconds or less).

Thirdly (was there a firstly and secondly?), ENJOY yourself.

Thanks eyebee...

My usual program is beer and pool and beer (and I have learnt as I get older, drink water as well), until about 10... you would be surprised how completely crap at pool I am after 10 years of this :) ...

about 10, head to the 'nightlife' areas, settle in at a bar with a good bird... (my favourites are the 45Yo or older girls who understand I won't be paying a BF, but are happy to sit and chat and help me practice my Thai)... and have a good laugh at the goings on...

I'll give the baht buses a go... and I'll check out Hotel Ibis...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I stayed in Pattaya for a month (just got back around 3 weeks ago).

To try and answer your questions, based on my experience, do the following:

1. Get a map (most of the hotels/motels should have them).

2. The baht buses travel on routes. I pretty much spent most of my time along beach road and walking street. You can also get a ride from a moto taxi driver (I did a few times before renting a moto myself). I think I paid between 20 and 40 baht most times. The baht bus is 10 baht. Make sure you have 10 bahts or just give them a 20 baht bill. It is super cheap anyway.

3. I stayed at P72 Hotel on Walking Street. I thought it was great. You can drink at the bar, get a table at the front and people watch. If u like dancing, u can go across the street. There are tons of beer bars. Additionally, it is right next to beach road, so, you can go to the beer bars along beach road. If you only stay a few days, that is what I would do. Time goes by so fast :)

4. The pizza place right across from P72 is great (if u like pizza).

Oh, the food at Secrets Hotel on Soi 14 (off walking street is really good).

Tell a taxi cab driver to take you to the Market at Soi Bukaw (boo kow) (don't know how to spell it). That is pretty cool for something to do in the day time (I think they are only opened on Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun - make sure you ask).

Well, I will not say for you to enjoy your stay because I know that you will. Have fun.

Edited by ralston3057

There used to be bars with pool tables in the beer bar complex at the end of Soi Skaw Beach (opposite Diana Estate on Soi Bua Khaow) and last time I was along Walking Street the old Simon's has been converted to beer bars with pool tables and there is also more of the same on the opposite side of the street.

Diamond Beach Hotel would be a good bet in that area.

There used to be bars with pool tables in the beer bar complex at the end of Soi Skaw Beach (opposite Diana Estate on Soi Bua Khaow) and last time I was along Walking Street the old Simon's has been converted to beer bars with pool tables and there is also more of the same on the opposite side of the street.

Diamond Beach Hotel would be a good bet in that area.

Blimey! when was the last time you were in Pattaya, they knocked the Bar complex at the end of Skaw beach known locally as the Cowshed down nearly five years ago now.

As for the OP whoever told you to go to Soi 6 either hasn't been there or is winding you up, this place is nearly all short time bars were the girls crowded outside the bars are the ones doing the people watching touting for bussiness, Walking st has a few spots that would suit you but the beer is a bit pricey otherwise head for Soi 7 or Soi 8 but it can get a bit noisy due to the bars playing the music too loud, there are a few spots along 2nd rd that will have what your looking for or try Soi Diana and Soi Bukhao.

As for the OP whoever told you to go to Soi 6 either hasn't been there or is winding you up, this place is nearly all short time bars were the girls crowded outside the bars are the ones doing the people watching touting for bussiness,

I am sure that is the reason he goes, and even tho we have spoken at length about my activities (or lack there of) he probably doesn't know any better...

Thanks for the heads up... seems like being within walking distance of walking street would be good... or else around Soi7/8

Cheers,

D

I really wouldn't worry where you stay as long as it fits in the area between North Pattaya Road and South Pattaya Road looking at a map from left to right and between Soi Buakhao and Beach Road looking top to bottom. Within that area you can get a Baht bus for 10 Baht as others have mentioned or walk to most places you'll want to visit in the evenings.

As others have mentioned, there are people watching bars in Walking street but beer a bit pricey, Soi's 7 & 8 better prices, especially at the end farther from the beach, but a bit noisy, in Soi 2 area near second Road I like Atlantic bar which has a couple of pool tables and usually fairly lively and not too expensive. Then between 2nd Road and Soi Buakhao there is Soi Diana which has numerous bars, and Soi Buakhao itself which has a reputation for being a bit of a "Cheap Charlie" area but has many bars and restaurants which are well worth a visit.

Hope this helps.

Blimey! when was the last time you were in Pattaya, they knocked the Bar complex at the end of Skaw beach known locally as the Cowshed down nearly five years ago now.

Well it's been a while since I've been to that part of town.

The OP could always go to MegaBreaks on Soi Diana and stay at Diana Inn for good measure!

So I have only been to Patters once before for a single day, so don't really know anything...

Obviously

Don't do ST/LT, just drinking, pool, and having a laugh...

I've been told that Soi 6 is more my scene, but that was from a guy who goes to Pattaya for very different reasons to myself...

I found out in a thread on another forum about how Soi 6 works... :):D:D I probably didn't need to preface my post "don't really know anything" did I ???? :D:D:D

Daewoo

Stay at the Royal Cliff or the Dusit and baht bus everywhere is the best plan - Nice and quiet when you want it to be with easy access to the chaos when needs be..... I normally jump on the back of the bus at the dusit and then ride down to WS and usually pay around 20baht PP (60 baht from Cliff) which I dont know is too much but Im happy with.

I quite like Soi 6 especially the Queen Vic but you will get a lot of hassle from girls - I fund the quiter bars are on second road? and... Jomtien are good (Whats the bar called which is quite nicely decorated in Jomtien with really cheap booze? (I seem to remember someone telling me a millionaire bought it for his wife to run?))

Anyone agree/disagree??

D

:)

Stay at the Royal Cliff or the Dusit and baht bus everywhere is the best plan - Nice and quiet when you want it to be with easy access to the chaos when needs be..... I normally jump on the back of the bus at the dusit and then ride down to WS and usually pay around 20baht PP (60 baht from Cliff) which I dont know is too much but Im happy with.

I quite like Soi 6 especially the Queen Vic but you will get a lot of hassle from girls - I fund the quiter bars are on second road? and... Jomtien are good (Whats the bar called which is quite nicely decorated in Jomtien with really cheap booze? (I seem to remember someone telling me a millionaire bought it for his wife to run?))

Anyone agree/disagree??

D

:)

OP is looking for a hotel around 1000 Baht a night, I think Dusit and Royal Cliff might be a bit over that!! :D If you are staying at such expensive hotels what are you doing trawling the cheap booze bars? Doesn't quite add up. Think the bar you mean is probably Fantasy Bar in Jomtien complex.

Daewoo

What you are looking for is Soi LK. It's a small Soi, just off Soi Diana. Almost every bar on Soi LK has a pool table, some with many tables. The beer is reasonable priced, and the Soi has good food available. There are many guest houses there that are cheap, and nice. I have only been in the rooms at the <deleted> you Inn, they were very nice and clean for 500 BHT, with a shared bathroom though. I have a friend that comes to Pattaya 4 or 5 times a year and always stays at the Metro on Soi LK. He swears by it. Everything that you will want to do in Pattaya can be done with in walking distance of a guest house on Soi LK.

To go to walking street, you will have to take a Baut bus. The people at your hotel can tell you how to do it. Or if you are a friendly sort, it would be easy to find someone going to walking street that would be happy to have company, or just show you how to get there.

That being said, one of the best hotel values in Pattaya is the Dream hotel. It's owned by the same people that own P72. But unlike P72, it isn't on walking street, with a disco across the street and the music up so loud that you can't sleep until after 4pm when the band quits. It's a short walk to P72 and walking street from the Dream. Now here is the deal, there is a new side for about 1000BHT a night, and an old side for 700BHT. The rooms are exactly alike, nice, clean, well furnished, and big bathroom. I think the old side rooms are even a little bigger. Take the cheap room. Second road is just steps from the front door, and you can get a Baut bus from there to go just about anywhere in Pattaya. They have their own restaurant, and it's good, as is room service. One downside, they don't have a web site to make a reservation. They do have free internet, and wifi. You shouldn't even need a reservation, just walk in.

Still, with what you are looking for, Soi LK would be a better pick than anything anyone has mentioned. It's perfect for your needs.

I stayed at Baron Beach Hotel last August for a few weeks. If you call directly, you can usually get a better deal than what you find on the internet. I asked for a quiet room, and it was! Right next to Central Festival. Great location. I got a nice room for 1000B including free wifi (though the signal was a bit weak).