Taxes For Laptop

summer09

Woooha! This is crazy!

Company “A” imports goods into Thailand. The CIF value of the imported goods and applicable taxes and duties are as follows:

• CIF value of imports = 200 US$

• Import duty = 60 %

• Surcharge/Special duty = 10 US$

• Fee = 50 US$

• Interior tax = 10 %

• Excise tax = 30 %

• VAT = 7 %

Total taxes and duties = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 6 = 407 US$

Expecting a GPS receiver declared as gift within the next days... Let's see how that works out.

Of course you can always go with shipito and declare a lower value... Not sure it's worth it though. Check this out...

here is some of my last orders from shipito.com:

1. Amazon Kindle 2 ebook reader FEDEX INTERNATIONAL PRIORIITY (3 day delivered to bangkok) all costs inc shipping / insurance and shipito handling charge US$32.24

2. Apple iphone 3G FEDEX INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY (4 days delivered to bangkok) all costs as above US39.25

3. 2 3foot minidisplay port extension cables FEDEX INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY (3 days delivered to BKK US$29.12

You can use a cheaper shipping method with less secure / slower services but at those fedex prices it just does not make sense. Secondly the customs price u declare on the webpage with shipito.com is up to u. I put the value of the iphone as $100.00. Fedex charged me 600 baht customs. Ebook kindle I put value as $50.00 i got charged 200thb.

DISCLAIMER: I never used shipito myself, follow the link ontop of the quote to see the whole thread about shipping services from the US.

Edited by welo

Of course you can always go with shipito and declare a lower value... Not sure it's worth it though. Check this out...
here is some of my last orders from shipito.com:

1. Amazon Kindle 2 ebook reader FEDEX INTERNATIONAL PRIORIITY (3 day delivered to bangkok) all costs inc shipping / insurance and shipito handling charge US$32.24

2. Apple iphone 3G FEDEX INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY (4 days delivered to bangkok) all costs as above US39.25

3. 2 3foot minidisplay port extension cables FEDEX INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY (3 days delivered to BKK US$29.12

You can use a cheaper shipping method with less secure / slower services but at those fedex prices it just does not make sense. Secondly the customs price u declare on the webpage with shipito.com is up to u. I put the value of the iphone as $100.00. Fedex charged me 600 baht customs. Ebook kindle I put value as $50.00 i got charged 200thb.

DISCLAIMER: I never used shipito myself, follow the link ontop of the quote to see the whole thread about shipping services from the US.

I wouldn't rely on this. There is two things Thai customs can do if they want:

1 - Evaluate the goods themselves to see what they're worth. They can pretty much make up any number.

2 - Undeclared goods! In this case, Thai customs can set a penalty of I think 400% of the value of the goods, and confiscate the goods.

But yeah importing a laptop makes no sense

I believe you! I don't have any personal experience on that matter.

Only thing that puzzles me is that quoted person was charged between 12 and 18 percent. Nowhere near the mentioned 2-3x.

But still, for a laptop I doubt it would make sense if costs are to be considered (shipment + taxes + possible warranty issues).

If you or a friend of yours can bring a laptop on the plain - that's a different story.

Also don't forget that you can re-claim the VAT if you leave Thailand. Don't know the exact rules here though.

welo

• 3 weeks later...
I am faced with a new problem.

I need English only keyboard. But in online (invadeIT.com and shop4thai.com) and local shops all interesting configurations are with English/Thai keyboard.

I'm getting on the plane from Australia in 175 hours. If you are looking for an USB keyboard with the 101 extended US style to plug into the laptop, then let me know and I can probably fit something small and flat like that into the suitcase.

I need English only keyboard. But in online (invadeIT.com and shop4thai.com) and local shops all interesting configurations are with English/Thai keyboard.

i bought a english only in IT pantip plaza, they have french / chinese as well.

i bought a english only in IT pantip plaza, they have french / chinese as well.

I'm pretty far from Bangkok.

What brand did you buy? I will try to contact with their office, probably they will advise a local store.

Tried to get an English-only keyboard from Acer, was impossible. I eventually gave up and just used the Acer with the English-Thai keyboard. I got used to ignoring the extra characters pretty quickly. I'd not even see them anymore.

Tried to get one from Apple, worked.

Edited by nikster

I'm pretty far from Bangkok.

What brand did you buy? I will try to contact with their office, probably they will advise a local store.

IT City pantip Plaza The model I got was the Kensington, see the link

http://www.netbankstore.com/pc/KMW64397/Keyboards/index.html

they have cheaper model as well for English only keyboard.

Summer I was is the same situation, first do not want to have English / Thai notebook, second the service for the VAT I got at the airport last time was appealing (like my refund was stealing money from this country)

I decide to take a visa run to Singapore and got there a notebook, i put a post on my Singapore purchase there.

I wouldn't rely on this. There is two things Thai customs can do if they want:

1 - Evaluate the goods themselves to see what they're worth. They can pretty much make up any number.

2 - Undeclared goods! In this case, Thai customs can set a penalty of I think 400% of the value of the goods, and confiscate the goods.

Wouldn't worry about this never had ANYTHING opened by customs over the years or indeed know anyone who has had a FEDEX,DHL,UPS box opened. Chances are VERY VERY remote.

Customs tend to fast track the DHL,UPS,FEDEX stuff as Express. Occasionally I get a customs delay status but even then it is just a matter of hours before its cleared and usually delivered the same or next day without being opened or extra charges incurred.

You have to make the value look realistic for example putting a laptop with value $20 might draw suspicion.

Don't know about Notebooks or computer parts, but I recently imported several foto equipment, and the tax collected by FedEx or UPS was reasonable.

Last example: Lens, plus Tripod accessories (Adorama): Merchandise price: 396 $, freight 82 $, total customs and VAT: 1600 Baht. delivered in 72 hours.

Sunny