Thailand Is Not Cheap

CrossBones

Ohh and before the above gets shot down as 'why do you need any of that' just realize that it is that exact market segment the TAT is promoting Thailand to.

Phuket now wants only 'quality tourists' presumably those than can afford the kind of middle class luxuries I mention.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole topic is much to do about nothing. You can't compare apples to oranges. It all depends on a life style that suits certain people. I live very well in Canada with very little cost. Everything I have is paid for... and I've got lots of toys I couldn't even FIND in Thailand, let alone buy them. In my particular neighbourhood my home would sell for $400,000. If it was located in New York city, or London, it would be worth 4 million... or more. But, I could have something similar built in Chiang Mai for about a third of that.

It is all the little things that add up to a life style you either like or dislike. In Canada, at my age, there is no possible way I could have beautiful young women as close as a phone call away. I couldn't go riding my motorcycle for 12 months of the year wearing nothing but shorts and sandals. I couldn't go to a beach side resort for $30 or $40 a night.

But, I'm one of the fortunate ones who is retired and doesn't have to work if I don't want to. I can paint and write for magazines for pocket money, or I can go for long walks in the sun shine and stop for a $2 meal. BUT! If I had to work in Thailand on a 10,000 baht a month salary it would be a different story altogether.

Not sure where and especially when (eg what year? 1995???) you are getting these prices from.

Examples
Trollyey full of shopping (farang food)- Tesco Thailand 4,000 Baht. Coles Australia 4,000

4000 Baht equalling roughly 160AUD - I am not even getting a full trolley. I'd probably have to shop in Aldi to get that sort of quantities.

Kilo Good (reasonable) Steak - 1000 Baht Thailand - $20 Australia 600 baht

Agreed.

Kilo Cheese Thailand - 700 Baht - Australia 800 Baht

Agreed.

Decent bread - Thailand 60 baht. Australia 80 baht

What is decent bread for you? The ones in Supermarkets or Baker's Delight are pretty poor in my opinion. Being European, I am not a big fan of the soft bread variants you get over here. For what I think is decent bread, I'd probably pay around 150-200 Bt.

Beer in a foreign food type restaurant - 120 baht. Beer in a pub Australia 180 baht

Sure. Whenever I stay in Thailand for longer and when I had lived there I was going for the local food. Western food is/ was more like a treat every now and again. Didnt miss it much either.

Also, as someone else noted, decent Pizza is NOT cheaper in OZ. A proper woodoven one will set you back 500 Bt or more in Sydney. I can get that in BKK for between 200-300 Bt. If you go for the cheap and disgusting ones with poor quality of toppings (and crusts like 2cm thick), you could get away with ~150 - 200 Bt.

Night is a cheap hotel in Bangkok - 1000 baht. Night in a cheap motel Sydney 1600 Baht

Come on. For a 1000 Bt I can stay very close to the main places in BKK. In Sydney, a night in a bloody dorm will set you back a bit over 1000 Bt. YMCA charges 3000 Bt for single/twin rooms.

Female Entertainment Thailand for 2 hours 1000-2000 baht. Asiam Female entertainment for half an hour 3000 baht Australia

Dunno. But doing simple maths here 2 hrs would cost you 12000 Bt in OZ then. Seems like a substantial difference to me.

Rent condo in bangkok suburb 8000 baht a month. Rent condo in cheap sydney suburb 25,000 month (bit of a diffference here I admitn)

8000 Bt I can stay close to MRT/ BRT. 25000 - what is that gonna get you in Sydney plz? A room in shared accommodation? That is if you wanna live relatively close to the city so that you don't have to spend 40 Mins on a bus or train to get anywhere (plus the time it takes to walk to a bus stop/ train station).

Car ownership in Australia - Much cheaper

Erm. Fiance paid 800 AUD for rego and greenslip plus 700 for comprehensive. 1500 all up. Minor services at 200 and major services for 400 on average per year for a Hyundai Getz! Dont think the running cost are that high in Thailand.

Having a girlfriend in Australia - much cheaper (get a prenup!)

Nope. The more beautiful they are (regardless of race and descent) the more expensive. Same everywhere my friend.

Cable TV - australia, cheaper than Thailand

Dont know how much UBC is in TH. I am paying 3000 Bt/ month for Foxtel platinum.

Electricity cheaper in Australia

I recall paying around 60-80 (1800 - 2400 THB) bucks per month in TH with aircon on ~10 hours per day. In Oz it's ~130-140 AUD per month (3900 - 4200THB).

Of course, all of the above is very subjective. My lifestyle,however, would be considerably cheaper in TH. Probably between 50-60% less than in Sydney.

Much easier to maintain a lower tax profile here, even for renters. Even more so for property owners.

:)

They operate two tills in Thailand too? I thought that was only a Hong Kong thing. No wonder my noodle lady drives a E Class.

Double books is the norm for much of Asia, but outside of HK, Singapore, Japan, and S.Korea, this also tends to include a lot of higher ticket items as well. The noodle lady may have purchased her Benz for cash off the books, and the used car tent (harder for dealerships) may have also kept that revenue off the books. All my friends in a low rider....

:D

Much easier to maintain a lower tax profile here, even for renters. Even more so for property owners.

They operate two tills in Thailand too? I thought that was only a Hong Kong thing. No wonder my noodle lady drives a E Class.

Double books is the norm for much of Asia, but outside of HK, Singapore, Japan, and S.Korea, this also tends to include a lot of higher ticket items as well. The noodle lady may have purchased her Benz for cash off the books, and the used car tent (harder for dealerships) may have also kept that revenue off the books. All my friends in a low rider....

And if any of my fellow TV members wonder why we are subject to 30% tax, here you have it. :)

I returned from a short stay in the Uk recently. I found so many things to be either cheaper or comparable but much better quality.

Supermarket food is cheaper and better quality if you are prepared to shop around. Beer is only marginally more expensive but much better and with a massive selection. Cars are a fraction or the cost. Petrol is of course more expensive but the difference is nothing like it once was. The clothes I bought for my children were comparably priced but better quality. Electrical items are cheaper. Health care is both free, reliable and accessible. Houses are significantly more expensive but far better quality and in better surrounding in my opinion (less chance of noisy neighbors, litter everywhere and bad sewer smells).

I think the negatives are council tax and utility bills. In Thailand theres no council tax because the council don't do anything to maintain anything, which is fair. I think I'd rather pay the tax and not have sh*te roads, electric cables hanging all over, cr*p police, filth everywhere and general disarray.

Of course Thailand will always win when it comes to paying for sex or for 50 year old men fondling 20 year old girls, which has got to be part of the attraction.

Thailand does have beaches and sunshine though. It's just a shame so many of the beaches are covered in litter.

Of course Thailand will always win when it comes to paying for sex or for 50 year old men fondling 20 year old girls, which has got to be part of the attraction.

You seem to have forotten local food and rent prices which are MUCH cheaper than the UK.

As has been said before, like anywhere, if you insist on buying all imported items you will spend a lot of money. If you buy local goods and services you will save a lot. :)

AND YOUR POINT IS ------if you are whinging about the prices of things in thailand compared to australia,why dont you sod off back there then,you can live very cheaply and happily in thailand and you dont get as much hassle as you do when you try to enter australia for a visit :)

AND YOUR POINT IS ------if you are whinging about the prices of things in thailand compared to australia,why dont you sod off back there then,you can live very cheaply and happily in thailand and you dont get as much hassle as you do when you try to enter australia for a visit :)

You reap what you sow! I have lived in Thailand for 8 years and find it to be much cheaper then my native Mexico ,since the signing of NAFTA,

I live in a Thai Village, I am the only falang in my village and I like it that way, in 4 years I have purchased property and built a large paid in full house. Of course this being Thailand ,I can not own property in Thailand and I could care less. I built the house for my wife and two step daughters. Being Mexican I eat a lot of home made Mexican food made by my Thai wife, I bake my own bread, and she makes tortillas daily. I have one daughter in the University in Nakhon Sawan her father pays her major cost and I take care of the rest. I make my own butter and cheese. My Thai family never bothers me for loans.

One needs to look before you leap, if your girl friend always comes up with money request because the village water buffalo died, that is a red flag, that you are seem only as a ATM machine.

Thailand I live a life that I would not be able to live in the States.

Thailand is Thailand ,Not Australia, if you prefer your old life with its benefits as you explained them, what is keeping you from going back, to the "Good" life.

Do not let the door hit you on the rear end as you leave, Good luck.

Edited by kikoman

You seem to have forotten [/b]local food and rent prices[/b] which are MUCH cheaper than the UK.

As has been said before, like anywhere, if you insist on buying all imported items you will spend a lot of money. If you buy local goods and services you will save a lot. :)

'Local food' hmm.. Lets see, UK as much as you can eat carvery of high quality in the 7 - 10 quid range.. Pub grub from 5 quid to maybe 10 that (here on Phuket) is the same as or better than whats offered for for 250 - 500 baht.

But thats 'western' food.. I love Thai food, and eat it often, but I am not prepared to stop eating the worlds offerings, when back there I could eat lebanese or morrocan, etc etc.. What would be the cost of that ?? Unknown as its simply not here. When was the last really great greek meal you had here or or or.. Its not there at any price. In the UK we sampled lots of Indian which was far better and cheaper than what I am offered here.

Yes I can get rice and chicken for 30 baht.. Or noodle soup.. And yes its not bad food.. But REALLY good food here of an international standard either isnt cheap or isnt of an international standard (starters with the dessert again). Go to a well run farang styled place that serves international level cuisine, consume a bottle or two of (even barely drinkable) wine, and check the bill. I pay as much for a bottle of wine here as the meal would cost per head back home.

As I said earlier on rent.. Both my parents are in rentals (one I pay for) and both are far cheaper than equivalent would be on Phuket for the same quality. My mums house is a lovely 2 bed cottage, a couple of minutes from the coast, private well established gardens, a river through the back garden, for 650 quid a month I am sure in nakhon nowhere thats a lot, but on Phuket 30k aint much of a house. Plus ANYTHING breaks and hours later theres a handyman at the door fixing it, cost free. She pays no council taxes etc due to her age.

I get no hassle when I try to enter Oz, or the US, or Europe, or or..

Whats your point ??

Thailand is Thailand ,Not Australia, if you prefer your old life with its benefits as you explained them, what is keeping you from going back, to the "Good" life.

The weather pure and simple..

I will not live in another northern european winter no matter what the benefits.

But that doesnt mean I dont miss my motorsports, my fast cars, services that are as they are sold, warranty's, honoured contracts, etc.. Ultimately many of these things are whats keeping Thai people poor.

I will not live in another northern european winter no matter what the benefits.

But that doesnt mean I dont miss my motorsports, my fast cars, services that are as they are sold, warranty's, honoured contracts, etc.. Ultimately many of these things are whats keeping Thai people poor.

Australia isn't in northern europe why don't you go there instead. You can enjoy all the trappings of farang life and your supposed collection of fast cars, yachts, and estates or whatever it is.

Australia isn't in northern europe why don't you go there instead. You can enjoy all the trappings of farang life and your supposed collection of fast cars, yachts, and estates or whatever it is.

I can myself.. And often consider it..

But the immigration process for my Thai GF.. With me not being Australian.. Is complex..

But I often look at gold coast and see that as a viable option.

Like others have said the cost of living in thailand depends on your lifestyle.. if you live in bkk renting an appartment, going out all the time, hitting the piss, taking taxi's here and there and eating western foods and all that, yeah living in thailand will be expensive!

Edited by mike404045

i do all the above and have to say that life can be expensive in thailand, but i can afford it!!

Right, I didnt come here to save money, I came here for the fun, freedoms, and weather.. Cost is pretty much irrelevant,

But if you dont go native it isnt much cheaper than the west to live 'well'. Which makes a mockery of certain TAT campaigns to pull in the quality tourists.. The kind of high net worth players they are marketing to, dont need cheap women, thats not one of their problems, but a certain level of quality and services, that isnt available at Thai pricing.

Like others have said the cost of living in thailand depends on your lifestyle.. if you live in bkk renting an appartment, going out all the time, hitting the piss, taking taxi's here and there and eating western foods and all that, yeah living in thailand will be expensive!

Expensive with respect to what? If you did all of the above in Melbourne, particularly, frequent the same type of restaurants as in BKK (eg not pub style or fast food places), an equivalent night out in BKK would still be 30-50% less.

Well I have just been for a haircut, a neat number 3 crew cut and finished off with scissors and razor. This is in a little Soi in this town with about 6 local barbers shops all next to each other. The cost an outrageous 40 Baht, plus I always give a 10 Baht tip!, and I am the only one it appears who does, several years ago when I gave the tip the barber he handed it back too me, not a tipping culture around these parts.

I did close to the same thing today phutoie2. Had a haircut for B40. Then wife and I went out to lunch. We both had a large bowl

of noodles and ice water. Total cost for both (at a vegetarian resturant ) B40. You do have to bus your own table. Now I am from Southern California so

I did not move to Thailand for the weather ( even though I really like the weather here) but the prices can not be beat. Love it here and plan to stay as long as I can. Lunch for 2 a haircut $2.39 try doing that in Los Angeles.

Oh yes, after we sold our home in Redondo Beach we rented a small apartment for one year in Redondo Beach California, my rent was more then my total expenses here

in Chiang Mai and that includes our health insurance. This apartment was clean but not near the best in town if not one of the least expensive.

But the immigration process for my Thai GF.. With me not being Australian.. Is complex..

Seeing as how most members on thai visa claim to have Thai-chinese girlfriends/wives who are daughters of prime ministers and Thai industry giants then it should be a piece of piss for her to globe trot with you and your cache of race cars.

Seeing as how most members on thai visa claim to have Thai-chinese girlfriends/wives who are daughters of prime ministers and Thai industry giants then it should be a piece of piss for her to globe trot with you and your cache of race cars.

Nope.. Never claimed that..

Dirt poor orphan.. She is half T/C but the lass didnt get an easy start in life.. 2 dead parents and a dead brother not the best support network.

BTW.. That ship on your shoulder getting heavy, your leaning sideways.

Nope.. Never claimed that..

Dirt poor orphan.. She is half T/C but the lass didnt get an easy start in life.. 2 dead parents and a dead brother not the best support network.

BTW.. That ship on your shoulder getting heavy, your leaning sideways.

No ship (sp?) but the bovine fecal matter on thai visa is so deep that the topic color tends to turn a brown tint.

People usually see Thailand as a very cheap place, but actually it isnt.

Examples

Trollyey full of shopping (farang food)- Tesco Thailand 4,000 Baht. Coles Australia 4,000

Kilo Good (reasonable) Steak - 1000 Baht Thailand - $20 Australia 600 baht

Kilo Cheese Thailand - 700 Baht - Australia 800 Baht

Decent bread - Thailand 60 baht. Australia 80 baht

Beer in a foreign food type restaurant - 120 baht. Beer in a pub Australia 180 baht

Night is a cheap hotel in Bangkok - 1000 baht. Night in a cheap motel Sydney 1600 Baht

Female Entertainment Thailand for 2 hours 1000-2000 baht. Asiam Female entertainment for half an hour 3000 baht Australia

Rent condo in bangkok suburb 8000 baht a month. Rent condo in cheap sydney suburb 25,000 month (bit of a diffference here I admitn)

Car ownership in Australia - Much cheaper

Having a girlfriend in Australia - much cheaper (get a prenup!)

Cable TV - australia, cheaper than Thailand

Electricity cheaper in Australia

Fuel Cheaper in Australia

The only thing much cheaper in Thailand is if you live in the villiage, drink beer at the local Karaeoke, eat at Thai places or cook local (market) food at home. But then you run the risk of supporting a Thai family and have problems with all the people wanting to borrow money from you!

In Australia you can even find cheap places to stay near beautiful beaches (caravan parks, motels etc).

So why don't you go back to Australia?

Personally i don't know Australia but i know Europe and USA and there is NO WAY for a 70 year old man to have a 20 year young Girlfriend. BTW, what is a Prenup?

Cars in Europe are cheaper you are right, but the insurance and tax and maintnance (labour and parts) on a car will bankrupt you. Food? In USA cheaper, but most of European Countries much more expensive.

Fuel in Europa at least twice the price as in LOS

Electricity at least twice the price as in LOS.

Where in Europe or US can you rent a condo for 5'000 Baht?

I rent here a nice single house (not a dam muban house) for only 10'000 Baht per month. In Hawaii i payd for a similar House 1'900 USD per month

So i recomment you travel around a little bit, go to Switzerland, South France, Hawaii, US, espsially NY and LA.

I hear that. I'm getting hammered on two cars for £650!

I'd pay a fraction of that in Thailand.

On my big bike I'm paying £10 in road tax in LOS.

I'm staying in a apartment villa for 12,000 a month.

It simply is far cheaper to live in LOS than back home.

Interesting in all the posts here, not one thing said about earnings as opposed to costs. As an American, Thailand is a far cheaper place for me to live. Excellent local food, 1000X better than any Thai food i could get in the US is available around the clock for a pittance. Taxis are dirt cheap, as is most public transport....and there certainly isn't Air Asia in the US...possibly the biggest one is coming from a country without cheap national healthcare, Thai hospitals are very very affordable and certainly the private hospitals (Bangkok General, Bumrungrad et al) rank up there with any in the world....

However, your average Thai is earning 10,-12000 baht a month in an office job, while his/her similar counterpart in the US may be earning $2-3,000. Thus, paying 2-3000 baht for a tiny room for rent is still paying 20-30% of one's salary, while in the US paying $500 amounts to the same thing.

When I lived in Japan, paying $5 for a cup of coffee did not seem expensive, because salaries were very high, and actually, based on earning power, that cup of coffee might have been cheaper than in developing countries.

The one thing that I do find expensive and poor value for what you pay here is alcohol. In most of Bangkok, the price for a beer is expensive relative to peoples' salaries. Even going to all Thai joints, a small bottle of Singh goes for 120-150 baht if the place is at all nice. That is $4-5. In Seattle, $3.50-4.50 gets one a pint of one of the best microbrewed beers in the world.

At any rate, most farangs living here are living on salaries/pensions/savings that put them into the Thai upperclass, so value for money is very very good, and makes it possible to live locally but also splurge on some good bread, cheese, wine, or whatever now and then.

But that doesnt mean I dont miss my motorsports, my fast cars

I feel you on that one. Being a car nut, I paid attention to the vehicles when I was on my trip. It's mostly 1.8 ltr vehicles...saw one Subaru STI in two weeks, but genuine sports cars are rare. I'd definitely miss my Evo.

Interesting in all the posts here, not one thing said about earnings as opposed to costs. As an American, Thailand is a far cheaper place for me to live. Excellent local food, 1000X better than any Thai food i could get in the US is available around the clock for a pittance. Taxis are dirt cheap, as is most public transport....and there certainly isn't Air Asia in the US...possibly the biggest one is coming from a country without cheap national healthcare, Thai hospitals are very very affordable and certainly the private hospitals (Bangkok General, Bumrungrad et al) rank up there with any in the world....

However, your average Thai is earning 10,-12000 baht a month in an office job, while his/her similar counterpart in the US may be earning $2-3,000. Thus, paying 2-3000 baht for a tiny room for rent is still paying 20-30% of one's salary, while in the US paying $500 amounts to the same thing.

When I lived in Japan, paying $5 for a cup of coffee did not seem expensive, because salaries were very high, and actually, based on earning power, that cup of coffee might have been cheaper than in developing countries.

The one thing that I do find expensive and poor value for what you pay here is alcohol. In most of Bangkok, the price for a beer is expensive relative to peoples' salaries. Even going to all Thai joints, a small bottle of Singh goes for 120-150 baht if the place is at all nice. That is $4-5. In Seattle, $3.50-4.50 gets one a pint of one of the best microbrewed beers in the world.

At any rate, most farangs living here are living on salaries/pensions/savings that put them into the Thai upperclass, so value for money is very very good, and makes it possible to live locally but also splurge on some good bread, cheese, wine, or whatever now and then.

I was going to bring that up, that its so easy to make money in the west you can just glide by on the money as it comes in. I was back for a couple of months this summer and saw 4 or 5 ways for very low work easy returns.

But then people would start saying your boasting just cos you can make money.