Samsung Netbook,window 7 Starter

Bosse137

A week ago I bought Samsung N140 netbook. Not until today did I notice the small text under the sign "Window 7" which says "Starter". Obviously,I don´t know much about computers; I myself could be called a "starter"..Can anyone tell me,what is meant by "starter"; I guess it means that it is not the real thing,the full version,which I thought it was, when I bought it.Some advice what to do if that in fact is the case? Some way to get to the full version using the starter?

A week ago I bought Samsung N140 netbook. Not until today did I notice the small text under the sign "Window 7" which says "Starter". Obviously,I don´t know much about computers; I myself could be called a "starter"..Can anyone tell me,what is meant by "starter"; I guess it means that it is not the real thing,the full version,which I thought it was, when I bought it.Some advice what to do if that in fact is the case? Some way to get to the full version using the starter?

It is a cut - down version. There is a 3 application limit on opening programs with this version of Windows 7. For most netbook users this would be OK. For serious notebook/laptop users, this would quickly make most people frustrated. But probably you don't need to worry with a netbook.

There is a 3 application limit on opening programs with this version of Windows 7.

Microsoft changed that limit to unlimited recently. Also, no Aero nor 64 bit version. For most users with netbooks I would say it is probably more then sufficient for their purpose.

For the first time, we will be making Windows 7 Starter available worldwide on small notebook PCs. We are also going to enable Windows 7 Starter customers the ability to run as many applications simultaneously as they would like, instead of being constricted to the 3 application limit that the previous Starter editions included.

Windows 7 Starter

Windows 7 Editions and upgrade paths

The list of items it does not include:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.

* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.

* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.

* Multi-monitor support.

* DVD playback.

* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.

* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.

* Domain support for business customers.

* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

The original poster will probably find that ninety percent of the things that he doesn't have, he will probably never miss. Netbooks were intended to be lightweight on the fly long battery life surf machines. Even still, they'll do most tasks quite well. Besides the small screens (which zooming will overcome) they are just about as powerful as most desktops were from the late '90s to about 2005. People are fooling themselves if they think 1 gig of memory and a 1.6 GHz single core processor is a slouch. You'll be just fine, and when you're home, you can hook that thing up to a larger monitor/LCD and you won't even have to zoom to see your screen. Slap a USB keyboard and Mouse on that little box (not to mention an external DVD) and park it on the side of your desk and it'll be just like having a desktop when you're home—that is if you don't already have one.

Cheers and happy computing!

P.S. and you can always up grade to Home Premium as previously mentioned...