English To Thai Web Site

billbenbob

I just fooled around with it a bit and actually it's pretty darned close on simple sentence constructs (although it misses the verbal question mark ไหม and just subs the ? for it);

What is your name - คุณชื่ออะไร

How old are you - คุณอายุเท่าไร

Where do you reside - คุณจะอยู่ที่ไหน

Are you married - คุณแต่งงานแล้ว (which reads you marry already)

Are you married or not - คุณแต่งงานหรือไม่ (this came closer to the mark)

What is your phone number - คุณมีเบอร์โทรศัพท์อะไร

Where is the bus station - สถานีรถบัสอยู่ที่ไหน

Do you have any children - คุณมีลูก

What is this called in the thai language - สิ่งนี้เรียกในภาษาไทย

As you can see it's far from perfect but man for a free resource, someone had to front load a LOT of time into its development. What I thought was funny when I plugged in the sentence คุณมีลูก, the translation came back in english "You have balls", which is correct.

Still can't really knock a free resource... Someone whose native language isn't english should see how well it does other languages into thai..

Thanx

FWIW:

I took a Polish sentence macwalen wrote to Parvis earlier in a thread about the “Best Thai Language School” and plugged it into the site mentioned by the O/P.

Here's what I got;

Original Polish:

Ja jestem z Gliwic i znam Katowice jak swoje miasto praktycznie wiec przyjmniej mamy tutaj cos wspolnego. Pozdrawiam

Thai translation:

ฉันมาจาก Gliwice และ Katowice เป็นเมืองของพวกเขาทราบความจริง przyjmniej ที่นี่เรามีบางอย่างในทั่วไป. ของคุณ

English translation:

I am from Gliwice and Katowice as well as know their city virtually przyjmniej so here we have something in common. Yours

Actually I think it is quite a remarkable interface to translate that many languages.

Even though I can’t read Polish, it seems mac might have misspelled przyjmniej for the word przynajmniej; which means "at least". Google asked if that’s the word I meant instead when I tried the word on their site.

Still for a free resource, I think it’s really quite good. Here’s the link again:

http://www.frengly.com/

Please, if posters know/speak other languages, try it to see how close the thai is in translation.

Anything that helps us understand the thai language better can’t be bad, now can it? :)