Car And Driver / Guide Needed In Chiang Mai 7-8-9 December 2009

Xonax

Wife (thai) and I need to rent a car with driver / guide in Chiang Mai 7-8-9 December 2009. We are among others planning to see Doi Ithanon, Doi Suthep, Mae Hong Son, Hill Tribes, Chiang Rai and Golden Triangle. We already have accomodation in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. The car should be a newer model and preferrably SUV or 4x4 type. The driver / guide should be the friendly type and english speaking at some level.

I would highly appreciate any recommandations with phone number and/or web-adress.

Thank in advance,

Finn

Bangkok

Best choice for a Car and Driver is Mr. Whiskey (Trek Service) at the Chiang Mai Inn off Chiyaphum 2 Road. I took the one day tour to the country and the Driver Peter, was excellent. Car is a new Toyota SUV Diesel with 4 wheel drive. The price for the 12 hour excursion was only 5K TB for the two of us, very reasonable.

We went to the top of the Highest mountain in Thailand and saw the most beautiful Temples I have ever seen in my whole life. It was like a scene out of a movie.

The artwork and construction are better than anything, I've seen in New York or San Francisco, and the scenery is better than the Hawaiian Islands. Don't be put off by the name. They are a first class outfit.

Just used a driver tonight that had a new SUV that seated 7. He was very kind and assisted my mother in and out of the vehicle. 150 Baht to pick us up and take us anywhere in CM, and to use him for the day to site see his price was 1700 B including fuel. We will use him again.

Khun Thanawat

[email protected]

This is the price range you should look for one day local site seeing. We have taken new vans on 2-4 day road trips for less than 5,000/day (food and lodging for the driver is extra).

We did this twice earlier in the year when relatives where in town. We went to Chang Dao, Doi Inthanon, Mae RIm attractions, Doi Suthep, khantoke shows, Baan Tawaan, etc. etc. Both times we found the drivers on pantip.com. Both times the drivers arrived at precisely 8:00 in brand new mini vans, were nicely dressed professionals who helped the elderly people around and chatted them up. One spoke quite good English with me. The fee was around 1300-1500 Baht for 14 hours + gas. Unfortunately both their telephone numbers were in a mobile that was stolen recently. If you peruse Panthip there are dozens of adverts with photos of the vehicles.

If you need a good driver and car in Chiang Mai, I can highly recommend Joe. He speaks excellent English, is knowledgeable about the area, seems to be a safe driver, and is courteous and punctual. His number is 081-883-8915 Taxi #18. We used him 3 times in the week we spent there. A full day was 1000 baht IIRC, and he was always helpful and courteous.

There's a guy called Jac. Highly recommended - knows every route, back road and so on and is a registered Tour Guide for the North of Thailand only.

Doesn't own a car as you describe but would hire one. Lovely, lovely man with good English. Lives near Chiang Mai. I've known him for years, used to be my driver and now is a good mate.