Are Thai Massages Good For You?

HalfSquat

I've been for a few Thai massages of the few hundred baht variety and although they are enjoyable at the time I was wondering if they have any lasting health implications good or bad?

Would the masseuse be able to spot if you had an ailment and then work to correct it or leave that area alone? Are they trained to do that or are they more trained in the routine and how to do it rather than 'treating' specific problems/areas?

Thanks.

OK hit me again but most people who do Thai massage do not do what they are doing

(this is just my opinion OK) I had massages many times and what ever I felt wrong with me got worst.

And yes this applys to the massage I had many times in my own place.

This is only personal experience - I've got a dodgy back and have no sternum after a staph infection following a triple bypass. My Thai doctor has told me only to have soft tissue massage - not traditional Thai massage. He said it could do me a lot of damage.

On the other hand, my sister-in-law has been studying that and traditional Thai herbal remedies for many years, and has a bachelor's degree in it. I'm told she's very good by members of our family, and having watched my wife receive massage at the PCU and from her sister, there's a world of difference. And having watched her, I bet she'd damned near kill me if she did that to me! :) But I have used her herbal poultices for a few different things, and they really do work for me. There are those out there who scoff at the herbals, but I'm a believer.

from my previous experience every thai massage ive had (ive had well over a 100) all tend to be the same other than the fact some are stronger than others dependin on whose given it but they all seem to follow similar routine. i always enjoy especially the really special ones!

For Muscle strain/back strain

It is quite good(proper one) but you must tell them to do it soft to moderate pressure.

It is even better with the herbal massage.

I do not know what do they call in english but it is a ball of herbal bag that they steamed it first then use it to massage along you back and shoulder.

The fact is : the Heat open up your blood vessel and clear up all the inflammatory cells as well as some of the herbs possibly enhance this effect.

Once the blood flow is better, the inflammatory cell are less, you feel better.

There is partcular place in CNX called Shewakomaraphat. They are pretty good.

When I used to be in regular training having a Thai Massage was great afterwards as an unwind and part of an extended cool-down after stretching out limbs etc. From the place I used to attend I had comments about how my limbs could stretch more than the average tourist they saw getting a massage. I would say that as part of a stretching routine that Thai Massage is a benefit, in ten years I have not encountered a problem - only some places that think they know what a Thai Massage is, I always test a place for 30 minutes first before committing to a longer session.

A lot depends on the individual. I do go to one masseur who knows when I have a muscle strain, and who can tell which part of my body was most recently exercised in the gym. He's very good (and slightly painful) at the massage itself. But not all of them have that amount of talent and intelligence.

Ive had heaps of massages in Thailand and apart from relaxing it doesnt do a thing for me, it just passes the time whilst Im waiting for the good lady. In saying that I think they'd be ok for an aged person with restricted flexibility. I was a well performed cyclist in my younger days and I can feel the difference between a good and bad massage, Thais massuers seem to think the more they hurt you the greter benefits you will feel the following day.

I wouldn't say there is nobody who knows what they are doing, but my second experience, when I naively assumed the masseuse knew what she was doing, has straightened me up. At one point the circulation to the leg is halted (the artery is up near the inner thigh).

I doubt that this has any therapeutic effect anyway, but on this occasion the cessation of flow went on for too long, such that I was subsequently aware of discomfort (for a couple of months). No real harm can be done if one "calls the shots", as I didn't. For me, the main benefit is just an opportunity to lie down for a while in peace, coolness and quiet.

Considering the large numbers of masseuses about, I seriously doubt that most have had (or can afford) proper training. Someone with a natural touch might do some good, relaxation-wise (and for the cost this is fair enough).

In Australia so-called Swedish massage is offered. This is for relaxation. Then there's remedial massage, which is more serious, and probably involves serious training. Then there's Rolfing, which sure as he*l would need serious training (it's "deep" massage). Wouldn't touch it with a 40-foot pole, unless my best friend recommended the masseur.

Point being, use your common sense. Like I didn't. Typical bloody tourist.

I am not a fan of Thai massage! :) In fact, I don't think of it as massage at all. It would be more correct to call it acupressure along with assisted stretching IMHO. But that does not fit on the signboard as easily. :D

I agree that it's largely a bruising, tiring experience, quite likely administered by someone with two, maybe three hours of training...

In my opinion, thai massage is very beneficial. But I do agree with most posters that one has to be careful. My guess is that the large majority of Thai masseuses are untrained, and therefore potentially painful, not necessarily harmful if one is basically healthy. A good Thai massage should not be painful. An experienced and well trained masseuse, when found, should become like a friend. Treat her right, give a good tip. Appreciate her hard work and experience. A small gift on occasion will bring great results. Anyone who is complimented in their work will always perform better. And the bond that is created will enhance the healing benefits.

For what it's worth, my advice is:

Don't get a massage in high tourist areas.

Don't pick the pretty one (if you really want a massage, and not other services)

If you can't avoid the above, make it clear that you don't want sex.

Older women with a big Thai smile are usually a good choice.

Try the blind practicioners.

With a new place, always go for the shortest session available. If good, they can usually go for the 2 hours when you ask. There's nothing worse that 2 hours with someone learning the trade. And if you leave early, they loose face mak mak. Not good Karma.

OK Halfsquat---all I can say is I always go for an oil massage.It is easier on the body for us oldies and I dont spend the next 48hrs getting over the pain---what's the point of that. Also i would warn you and others that a lot of these so called "masseurs" are nothing more than young girls trying to earn a living,with very little experience or ability to do you anthing but harm.A young girl in my home country [New Zealand] came here on holiday,had a massage and is now confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life-----Be warned

If you want to be assurred of a well trained masseuse attuned to treating peopkle with health complaints, go to a government health center ir hospital, they all offer it and their masseuses are properly trained.

In the case of the health centers some have it only a few days a week.

Or go to Wat Po.

The various private establishments are hit and miss at best.

As to what good it will do, depends of course on what ails you. Properly done it is very good for muscular problems and stress relief.