Bkk To Rayong Via Train

FTB

Greetings all,

I'm in need of a train from BKK to the Rayong area. On a map of Thailand I see train tracks but when looking at internet sites I cannot confirm that the route exists.

Can someone either confirm/deny that it exists or have a link that i can decipher it myself?

I'm taking a motorbike from CNX to Rayong in order to start a Cambodian offroad journey and need to meet friends in Rayong so need a train to transport the bike.

If not Rayong, what is the closest city to Rayong that is served by rail from the main train station in BKK?

Thanks in advance.

Gotlost - Guess you won't be coming then. A lot happens in the world around us, to be kept at home too much withers our soul. Get out dear man and be not afraid, the water is not that cold.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Pattaya Parent - Thanks so much for the tidbit of info. Greatly appreciated. The station end is close enough. hel_l I may need an evening in Pattaya to cleanse my soul before the trip starts. Thank you.

Gotlost - Guess you won't be coming then. A lot happens in the world around us, to be kept at home too much withers our soul. Get out dear man and be not afraid, the water is not that cold.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Pattaya Parent - Thanks so much for the tidbit of info. Greatly appreciated. The station end is close enough. hel_l I may need an evening in Pattaya to cleanse my soul before the trip starts. Thank you.

And people like you are the first to ruin to their governments embassy and demand to be saved.

Good for you, GO FOR IT. There's a lot of negativity and people that think they know everything on TV. You ask for some legitimate info and get somebodies negativity. The problem is not between tourists and the world, its with the Thais. Life is too short to hide and never go for your dreams.

Good luck and hope you have a happy rewarding trip.

Good for you, GO FOR IT. There's a lot of negativity and people that think they know everything on TV. You ask for some legitimate info and get somebodies negativity. The problem is not between tourists and the world, its with the Thais. Life is too short to hide and never go for your dreams.

Good luck and hope you have a happy rewarding trip.

ostridge.jpg:)

And people like you.....

Yes Sir, people like me, tsk tsk, wonderful insight. Having lived in Thailand for a few years now I've witnessed ups and downs that are not present in my home country. To have them be the reason for postponed actions I believe gives them too much weight. The turmoil between Cambodia and Thailand is hardly new, they have a long history of uneasiness and disagreements. An interesting move by Thaksin and I'm curious to see what unfolds. Hardly new news in which to cancel an excellent adventure in my eyes. YMMV of course.

Thanks for the well wishes Lifer :) . Yes Thai Visa has a lot of valuable and informative tidbits and posters. Sadly it also harbors its share of bored expats with too much time in front of the computer it seems sometimes. More justification for the need to get out and enjoy life which is what my ride is about. That and raising money for Unicef and delivering vaccines and medicines to rural villages in Cambodia.

Anyway this thread is going off on a tangent in which it was not originally intended. So for all readers this topic has been answered: There is no rail service from BKK to Rayong, the closest city served is Pattaya. Once again, thanks to Pattaya Parent for that info.

Best of luck everyone.

No trains go through to Rayong.

The closest city that you can get to by train is Pattaya.

But the end of the line is a country station near Ban Chang which is about 30kms from Rayong, can't remember the name of the station.

Several years ago we took our kids on the train from Pattaya, to the end of the line, as a day-out. The country station is just outside Sattahip, the naval port, but the line appears to run further, perhaps into the port for freight/supply-trains ? There also appeared to be a new-laid branch off to the east (towards Rayong ?), close to the end of the line, and a carriage-refurbishment/repainting works actually at the country-station.

I like trains, as you may have guessed, hang-on while I go get my anorack ! :)

The end of the line for the passenger train is Plutaluang, about 10 k from Ban Chang, another 15 or so to Rayong Muang.(Freight trains and tankers go into Map Tha Phut).

There's just one train a day and it takes forever. Another option would be to meet your friends in Aranyapratet as the train does go all the way there and its right on the border. You'd better check often though to make sure the border is open, tho.

Check out the 'Eastern Line' here

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

I must have missed something but why don't you just ride the bike to Rayong? Very good road all the way. Several different ways to go, some very scenic.

Track61, you just stole my question. Thanks. Politics or road safety are immaterial.

A man wants to go,- let him. But where does the train come in? BKK-RAYONG, Road 36, new, straight, beautiful. And only 180 km. Under 2 hrs for a bike expert driver not afraid of the off-road tour. :)

Get outta here, man...

Gents,

Wow even more info.

The end of the line for the passenger train is Plutaluang, about 10 k from Ban Chang, another 15 or so to Rayong Muang.

Thanks Dekestone!!

Backsoon and Track61 asked:

I must have missed something but why don't you just ride the bike to Rayong?

The bike is outfitted with knobby off road tires to deal with mud and dirt (ala Laos last month)

667643927_6kJxZ-M.jpg

droning along the 180 KM of nice tarmac from BKK to Rayong would wear down my knobby tires needlessly. I reckon I'll need all the knobby I can get for the anticipated mud in Cambodia :) .

Thanks guys.

Edited by FTB

Train Bangkok to Sattahip is weekdays only, leaves at 7am and takes 5 hours. Very pleasant trip but take a book. Best thing is the price about 30 Baht last time I took it. Probably cost more for the bike........

Finner