Those Words That I Can't Look Up...

Gaccha

"Every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square, so to speak"

"จะว่าไปแล้ว สี่เหลื่ยมจัตุรัสทุกรูปเป็นสี่เหลี่ยม แต่ใช่ว่าสี่เหลี่ยมทุกรูปจะเป็นสี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัส"

Do you know, one thing I think this is a classic example for me, although some of you might not agree. :)

This sentence is a good sentence to present this translation to me.

"Every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square, so to speak"

In Thai, if we are in a conversation and arguing about something which one might not agree with each other, we can say "จะว่าไปแล้ว สี่เหลื่ยมจัตุรัสทุกรูปเป็นสี่เหลี่ยม แต่ใช่ว่าสี่เหลี่ยมทุกรูปจะเป็นสี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัส ดังนั้น จากตัวอย่างที่ถกเถียงกัน คำแปลแต่ละคำที่ยกมา สามารถเป็นคำแปลของศัพท์ภาษาอังกฤษคำว่า "so to speak" ได้ แต่มันไม่จำเป็นที่ว่าคำว่า "so to speak" ต้องแปลเป็นคำเหล่านั้นเท่านั้น (มันอาจจะแปลเป็นอย่างอื่นก็ได้ ขึ้นอยู่กับบริบท)"

So, I think I will let you guys to consider about it yourselves. Sometimes something might not be as it seems. I accept that my English is not so good, so that, I won't claim that I can understand everything perfectly. All I tried to do was explain how it works in Thai language, that's all. :D

As an English native may I point out that I would be very unlikely to use the expression at all if I thought it meant anything more than what it says, so that means that I will probably never use it now.

คณยุทธ์ครับ ในข้อความนั้นได้เขียนว่า แต่ใช่ว่า อยากเรียนรู้ว่าคำนั้นหมายถึงอะไร ไนพจนานุกรมอ่านว่า "บางทีก็ใช้เป็นคำปฎเสธหมายความว่า ไม่ใช่ เช่นใช่คนใช่สัตว์ใช่ว่่า" เมื่ออ่านข้อความของคุณนั้นเป็นครั้งแรกที่ได้พบคำนี้ ผมไม่รู้เรื่องจนถึงได้จำนิยามความหมายข้อนี้ ถูกต้องหรือไม่ครับ

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an English native may I point out that I would be very unlikely to use the expression at all if I thought it meant anything more than what it says, so that means that I will probably never use it now.

คณยุทธ์ครับ ในข้อความนั้นได้เขียนว่า แต่ใช่ว่า อยากเรียนรู้ว่าคำนั้นหมายถึงอะไร ไนพจนานุกรมอ่านว่า "บางทีก็ใช้เป็นคำปฎเสธหมายความว่า ไม่ใช่ เช่นใช่คนใช่สัตว์ใช่ว่่า" เมื่ออ่านข้อความของคุณนั้นเป็นครั้งแรกที่ได้พบคำนี้ ผมไม่รู้เรื่องจนถึงได้จำนิยามความหมายข้อนี้ ถูกต้องหรือไม่ครับ

คุณ tgeezer เข้าใจถูกต้องแล้วครับ

แต่ใช่ว่า หมายถึง แต่ ...ไม่ใช่

แต่ใช่ว่าสี่เหลี่ยมทุกรูปจะเป็นสี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัส - แต่สี่เหลื่ยมทุกรูปไม่ใช่รูปสี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัส

การใช้คำนี้ จะใช้ในกรณีที่สิ่งที่เรากล่าว มันขัดแย้งกับสิ่งที่ได้กล่าวมา อย่างมีเหตุผลชวนให้คิด

คำนี้จะใช้ได้ทั้งภาษาพูดและภาษาเขียน ตัวอย่างอื่น ๆ ก็เช่น "กล่าวกันว่าคนที่มีความเข้าใจขัดแย้งกัน ควรจะมีการพูดจาปรับความเข้าใจกัน แต่ใช่ว่าจะได้ผลทุกครั้งไป (แต่ไม่ใช่จะได้ผลทุกครั้งไป)

หวังว่าคงจะเข้าใจในคำอธิบายเหล่านี้นะครับ :)

ขอบคุณมากครับคุณยุทธ์ เข้าใจแล้ว ผมชอบมากคือตัวอย่างที่คุณได้ยกให้อ่าน ว่า แต่ใช่ว่าจะได้ผลทุกครั้งไป มันเป็นความจริงแน่ในแนวเรื่องที่เราทุ้กคนได้คุยกันที่นี่ครับ

ตอนนี้ผมกำลังอ่านหนังสือไวยกรณ์ไทยของ นววรรณ พันธุเมธา แม้ว่าเขาจำแหนกคำเป็นชนิดที่ผมไม่เคยพบยังอ่านสนุก

ในบทคำบอกโอกาส มีตัวอย่างว่า ถ้าฉันไม่บังเอืญไปเห้นเข้า หนังสือเล่มนี้คงถูกเผาไปแล้ว Is that "tongue in cheek" or is the writer likely to be more staid than that?

Edited by tgeezer

ตอนนี้ผมกำลังอ่านหนังสือไวยกรณ์ไทยของ นววรรณ พันธุเมธา แม้ว่าเขาจำแหนกคำเป็นชนิดที่ผมไม่เคยพบยังอ่านสนุก

ในบทคำบอกโอกาส มีตัวอย่างว่า ถ้าฉันไม่บังเอืญไปเห้นเข้า หนังสือเล่มนี้คงถูกเผาไปแล้ว Is that "tongue in cheek" or is the writer likely to be more staid than that?

ในเมื่ออยู่ในส่วนของคำบอกโอกาส ก็น่าจะถือได้ว่า เป็นคำพูดตรง ๆ ตามที่ว่าไว้ ไม่ใช่เป็น "tongue in cheek".

คำพูดแบบนี้ ในการใช้งานจริง ๆ เป็นได้ทั้ง "tongue in cheek" หรือ คำพูดตรง ๆ ขึ้นอยู่กับบริบท (context).

ยกตัวอย่างเช่น เพื่อนบังเอิญผ่านมาเห็นคุณกำลังอ่านหนังสือเล่มนี้ แล้วเห็นว่าเป็นหนังสือที่น่าสนใจ อาจจะถามขึ้นมาว่า "คุณได้หนังสือเล่มนี้มาจากไหนหรือ" คุณก็อาจจะตอบไปว่า "ถ้าผมไม่บังเอิญไปเห็นเข้า หนังสือเล่มนี้คงถูกเผาไปแล้ว" คำตอบแบบนี้เป็นได้ทั้งสองกรณี คุณอาจจะพูดทีเล่นทีจริงก็ได้ หรือพูดจริงจังเลยก็ได้ ซึ่งคุณจะสามารถรู้ได้ว่าเป็นกรณีใด ก็ต้องถามเท่านั้น เช่น คุณถามกลับไปว่า "อ้าว ทำไมล่ะ" คำตอบที่ได้ก็อาจเป็น "อ๋อ เปล่าหรอก พอดีเห็นมันกองรวมอยู่กับพวกหนังสือเก่า ๆ ที่จะเอาไปทิ้งอยู่แล้ว" หรือไม่ก็อาจเป็น "ก็เพราะว่ามันอยู่ในกองกระดาษที่เขาเตรียมจะเผานะสิ เผอิญเหลือบไปเห็นว่าเป็นหนังสือ ก็เลยเอามาเปิดดู เห็นว่าน่าสนใจ ก็เลยเก็บขึ้นมา ไม่งั้นก็โดนเผาไปแล้ว"

I'm still not convinced about this, especially given the impasse between Rikker and Yoot - I think this only suggests that what I was told is good advice...that said...

Oxford River has

so to speak อาจกล่าวได้ว่า

Their example sentence would satisfy Rikker's demand for figurative speech, I think, but I don't know if it will satisfy Yoot's native speaker instincts:

อาจกล่าวได้ว่าเขาเป็นผู้ชายชาญโลก

He is a man of the world, so to speak.

There is also a book called 'Dictionary of Idioms' by สมชาย ชัยธนะตระกูล which has

so to speak ว่าไปแล้ว more or less as Yoot says.

However, two things about this I thought worth noting, the first is the example sentence is not a metaphor, and its hard to see what adding 'so to speak' gives to the meaning in English without further context:

ว่าไปแล้ว เขาก็เป็นคนไม่ปกติคนหนึ่ง

He is an unusual man, so to speak.

The other thing worth noting is that the author notes in parentheses that the expression is for making a joke or poking fun:

(ใช้เมื่อต้องการพูดติดตลกหรือประชด)

It's not clear whether he is referring to the English or the Thai or both, but I don't think that is a general characterization of the English expression, not least the way I use it.

Edited by SoftWater

I'm still not convinced about this, especially given the impasse between Rikker and Yoot - I think this only suggests that what I was told is good advice...that said...

Oxford River has

Their example sentence would satisfy Rikker's demand for figurative speech, I think, but I don't know if it will satisfy Yoot's native speaker instincts:

There is also a book called 'Dictionary of Idioms' by สมชาย ชัยธนะตระกูล which has

so to speak ว่าไปแล้ว more or less as Yoot says.

However, two things about this I thought worth noting, the first is the example sentence is not a metaphor, and its hard to see what adding 'so to speak' gives to the meaning in English without further context:

ว่าไปแล้ว เขาก็เป็นคนไม่ปกติคนหนึ่ง

He is an unusual man, so to speak.

The other thing worth noting is that the author notes in parentheses that the expression is for making a joke or poking fun:

(ใช้เมื่อต้องการพูดติดตลกหรือประชด)

It's not clear whether he is referring to the English or the Thai or both, but I don't think that is a general characterization of the English expression, not least the way I use it.

Not a general characterisation, but one usage. "So to speak" is often used in humour to draw the listener's attention to alternative (often risque) possible meanings. eg. "We shook hands and she thanked me for coming...so to speak."

Not a general characterisation, but one usage. "So to speak" is often used in humour to draw the listener's attention to alternative (often risque) possible meanings. eg. "We shook hands and she thanked me for coming...so to speak."

Good example, because in my idiolect I would not follow that with 'so to speak' but with 'as it were'. I'm not sure there is a difference in meaning in English, but a Thai translation of the latter but not the former is ดูประหนึ่งว่า. While we're at it, another Thai expression that's sort of tangentially linked here that I've been wondering about is ราวกับว่า.

My understanding of these expressions is not sufficient to be able to offer much comment, but from what I can tell, none of these quite capture the connotation of 'as it were' or 'so to speak', leading me back to what teachers and friends have told me, which is expressions like these are just too 'English' to be translated (=tied too closely to English patterns of use and association). Far better to look at the way Thai speakers use their language and what expressions they conjoin with what sort of situations. There may not be an English-Thai fit here (in fact, I'd be surprised if there was).

[correction, I'd be surprised if there were...]. :)

Edited by SoftWater

ขอบคุณมากครับอีกครั้งหนึ่งคุณยุทธ์ เรื่องที่คุณได้เขียนเป็นเรื่องน่าสนใจครับ ผมไม่เข้าใจคำว่า เห็นเข้า มีความหมายเมือนกับ เห็นด้วยเนื้อหาของหนังสือ

นอกเนื้อจากตัวอย่างข้อนี้ผมคิดว่าตัวอย่างในหนังสือสอนถาษาไทยเป็นสิ่งยากมากสำหรับคนที่ไม่ชินวัฒนธรรมไทย

ขอบคุณมากครับอีกครั้งหนึ่งคุณยุทธ์ เรื่องที่คุณได้เขียนเป็นเรื่องน่าสนใจครับ ผมไม่เข้าใจคำว่า เห็นเข้า มีความหมายเมือนกับ เห็นด้วยเนื้อหาของหนังสือ

นอกเนื้อจากตัวอย่างข้อนี้ผมคิดว่าตัวอย่างในหนังสือสอนถาษาไทยเป็นสิ่งยากมากสำหรับคนที่ไม่ชินวัฒนธรรมไทย

คุณ tgeezer

คำว่า "เห็นเข้า" ไม่ได้มีความหมายว่า "เห็นด้วยกับเนื้อหาของหนังสือ" นะครับ

"เห็นเข้า" ก็หมายถึง "เห็น" ธรรมดานั่นแหละ เพียงแต่คำว่า "เข้า" นี่ใช้เน้นในกรณีที่บังเอิญไปเห็น

บางครั้งคุณอาจจะได้ยินคนพูดว่า "ดูเข้าไป" คำนี้ไม่ใช่หมายถึง มองเข้าไปในสิ่งนั้น ๆ นะครับ แต่คำว่า "เข้า"ในที่นี้ใช้เน้นอาการ "ดู" หมายถึง "ดูอย่างจริงจัง"

คำภาษาไทยบางคำ จะแปลตรงตัวตามที่เห็นไม่ได้ บางคำเขียนไว้อย่างหนึ่ง แต่ความหมายเป็นอีกอย่างหนึ่ง ต้องอาศัยความคุ้นเคยกับภาษาจึงจะเข้าใจได้

Oxford River has

อาจกล่าวได้ว่า has the same meaning as พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่า which I posted in the post #6

so to speak = ดังนั้นจะพูด

so-called, = ดังนั้น-เรียก or ดังที่เรียก = As called (with out the - )

in a sense = ในความรู้สึก

for starters or for the start = สำหรับการเริ่ม

have a tendency to = มี เอ แนวโน้ม สู่ มีแนวโน้มเป็น = Prospects.

Friends,

Khun Yoot's sage words should be emblazoned on the headline of these forums as a lodestar to us all:

คำภาษาไทยบางคำ จะแปลตรงตัวตามที่เห็นไม่ได้

Some Thai words cannot be translated [to English, for example] according to their literal meaning.

บางคำเขียนไว้อย่างหนึ่ง แต่ความหมายเป็นอีกอย่างหนึ่ง ต้องอาศัยความคุ้นเคยกับภาษาจึงจะเข้าใจได้

Some words are written a certain way, but the meaning [of these words in context] may be different [than how they are written on a standalone basis.]

ต้องอาศัยความคุ้นเคยกับภาษาจึงจะเข้าใจได้

We must rely on our familiarity with the language [as a whole] in order to understand [the meaning of any particular word or phrase].

อาจกล่าวได้ว่า has the same meaning as พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่า which I posted in the post #6

Thanks yoot.

As you know, in English we have many words and expressions that have the same meaning but still have different uses:

e.g.,

i. expressions that are synonymous in some contexts but not in others

I got the package this morning. I received this package this morning. (same)

Have you got a telephone I can borrow? Have you received a telephone I can borrow? (not the same)

ii. expressions that are synonyms but are not conventionally concatenated with the same expressions

Pass me the water.

Pass me the h2O.

iii. expressions that are synonymous in meaning but have different register (formal, informal etc).

The student held out his hand to get the award from the Princess. (incorrect)

The student held out his hand to receive the award from the Princess. (correct)

iv. expressions that are synonymous in terms of their denotation (what object they refer to) but not in their connotation (what ideas they are associated with).

"We sell high-energy foods." (hamburgers - positive connotation)

"We sell heart attacks in a bun." (hamburgers - negative connotation)

Apologies for the lengthy detour through English semantics. When you say อาจกล่าวได้ว่า and พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่า have the same meaning, do you also mean they have pretty much all the same uses?

Edited by SoftWater

When you say อาจกล่าวได้ว่า and พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่า have the same meaning, do you also mean they have pretty much all the same uses?

They can be used interchangeably.

From your example;

อาจกล่าวได้ว่าเขาเป็นผู้ชายชาญโลก = พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่า เขาเป็นผู้ชายชาญโลก

Or, from my example;

ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่าแอนนาเป็นผู้ที่ตัดสินใจในเรื่องสำคัญทั้งหมด = ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น อาจกล่าวได้ว่า แอนนาเป็นผู้ที่ตัดสินใจในเรื่องสำคัญทั้งหมด

Very interesting thread.

For "so-called", most translations seem to be pretty literal, but I've always thought of so-called as being a sarcastic use of the word "supposed". For example:

I took my car to that so-called mechanic and now it runs worse than before.

How would you translate that sentence considering the fact that the person you took the car to is actually a mechanic (not someone who is just "called" a mechanic) but one who is incompetent.

Ahh...I think we've come round to the same problem again :)

'Anna is the one who makes all the important decisions, so to speak.' Doesn't make much sense in English ('why "so to speak"?' would be the response of the hearer)

whereas

'Anna is the one who wears the trousers, so to speak.' requires no further explanation.

Personally, I'm not much interested in the 'are they or aren't they equivalents' question, its more that I'm trying to get a sense of what a Thai speaker would be getting at when using this expression. Thinking about what you were saying before, about pointing out a special case, can we interpret the อาจกล่าวได้ว่า in the sentence about Anna as indicating an opinion of the speaker, more akin to 'maybe I should say that...' where the function of the expression is to indicate that someone else might see things differently?

Is that any good, or way off?

Edited by SoftWater

Very interesting thread.

For "so-called", most translations seem to be pretty literal, but I've always thought of so-called as being a sarcastic use of the word "supposed". For example:

I took my car to that so-called mechanic and now it runs worse than before.

How would you translate that sentence considering the fact that the person you took the car to is actually a mechanic (not someone who is just "called" a mechanic) but one who is incompetent.

I'm sure there is a proper way to do it, but with my limited language skills I would approach this along the lines of:

'He calls himself a teacher, but he teaches no good.'

เขาเรียก(ตัว)เองอาจารย์ แต่สอนไม่ค่อยดีเท่าไร

If that works, then we can get to your example in the same way:

'I took my car to that guy that calls himself a mechanic, but he fixes cars no good. Now it runs worse than before.'

(I'll let you work out the translation!)

Edited by SoftWater

Ahh...I think we've come round to the same problem again :)

'Anna is the one who makes all the important decisions, so to speak.' Doesn't make much sense in English ('why "so to speak"?' would be the response of the hearer)

whereas

'Anna is the one who wears the trousers, so to speak.' requires no further explanation.

Personally, I'm not much interested in the 'are they or aren't they equivalents' question, its more that I'm trying to get a sense of what a Thai speaker would be getting at when using this expression. Thinking about what you were saying before, about pointing out a special case, can we interpret the อาจกล่าวได้ว่า in the sentence about Anna as indicating an opinion of the speaker, more akin to 'maybe I should say that...' where the function of the expression is to indicate that someone else might see things differently?

Is that any good, or way off?

I translated "In that relationship it's very much Anna who wears the trousers, so to speak." to "ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่าแอนนาเป็นผู้ที่ตัดสินใจในเรื่องสำคัญทั้งหมด" as it's shown in the example and to make it clears in Thai language.

What if I change the translation to "ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น อาจกล่าวได้ว่า แอนนาคือช้างเท้าหน้า", does this translation require further explanation?

I don't think it's correct to compare English sentence and Thai sentence word by word. I was trying to explain how these English sentences would be expressed in Thai langauge. Some Thai sentences might sound odd to you if you consider each of Thai words and try to translate it back to English as you understood.

If you interpret อาจกล่าวได้ว่า to 'maybe I should say that...', I don't think it would be correct in this context.

I might argue that I would translate 'maybe I should say that...' to "บางทีผมควรที่จะพูดว่า" which is totally different to "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า". สุดท้ายเราก็วนกันไปวนกันมาอยู่ในวงกลมเหมือนเดิม :D

What if I change the translation to "ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น อาจกล่าวได้ว่า แอนนาคือช้างเท้าหน้า", does this translation require further explanation?

Yoot,

Not to me. Like bannork, I would translate this (and your earlier sentence about Anna) as "We might say that..." or "It could be said that...", with this expression meaning that there is perceived to be at least some evidence for the view [that Anna wears the pants in the relationship] or, to look at it another way, that แอนนาคือช้างเท้าหน้า is one reasonable way to describe their relationship. I don't see that อาจกล่าวได้ว่า functions to signal a metaphorical usage at all. Indeed, you've used it in exactly the same way in two sentences, one using a metaphor and one not.

Perhaps you'd say that I'm committing the mistake of too literal a translation. If so, that's fine -- but could I ask you to explain then (in Thai or English) what you believe is the meaning of อาจกล่าวได้ว่า in these sentences?

aanon

ps. I had a look at Sealang's bitext corpus (http://sealang.net/thai/bitext.htm) for "so to speak", "manner of speaking", "as it were", "เรียกได้ว่า" and "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า". I would suggest it as a useful source for people -- and, I must say, there is some support for Yoot's views there.

Edited by aanon

No, it doesn't - that would have the same meaning as 'so to speak'. That's kind of my point - the Thai and the English translations don't have equivalent uses, because you can't (or wouldn't) use 'so to speak' in the non-figurative English version, or at least if you did it would be redundant.

I agree we're not trying to look for word-for-word equivalences. I'd just like to know how to use the Thai expressions you've offered properly.

I hope its clear that the questions are all about trying to understand the meaning, not about anyone proving themselves right or wrong. You're thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Edited by SoftWater

คุณอานนท์

ขออธิบายเป็นภาษาไทยนะครับ จะได้ไม่เข้าใจผิดกันอีก

เริ่มแรกคือ เจ้าของกระทู้ ต้องการทราบคำแปลของคำว่า "so to speak" ซึ่งในการแปลคำนี้ สามารถแปลได้หลายอย่าง ขึ้นกับสถานการณ์ และบริบท

และเท่าที่อ่านมา ความหมายของ "so to speak" นั้น แม้แต่เจ้าของภาษาเองยังเห็นต่างกันบ้างเล็ก ๆ จริงไหมครับ

คำแปลของมันตามพจนานุกรม ก็แปลได้สองอย่าง แต่ความหมายใกล้เคียงกัน ภาษาไทยที่บอกว่าเป็นคำแปลของคำนี้ ก็มีหลายวลี ซึ่งมีความหมายใกล้เคียงกัน

ประเด็นคือ จากตัวอย่างภาษาอังกฤษที่ได้มาจากพจนานุกรม "In that relationship it's very much Anna who wears the trousers, so to speak." นั้น จะแปลเป็นภาษาไทยได้สองกรณีคือ

1. แปลให้ได้ความหมาย โดยไม่ต้องมีคำอธิบายเพิ่มเติม ซึ่งก็คือ "ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่าแอนนาเป็นผู้ที่ตัดสินใจในเรื่องสำคัญทั้งหมด" ซึ่งก็หมายถึง ได้แปลงคำอุปมาหรือสำนวนในภาษาอังกฤษให้เป็นคำอธิบายในภาษาไทยแล้ว หรือว่า

2. แปลโดยเปลี่ยนคำอุปมาหรือสำนวนในภาษาอังกฤษ ให้เป็นคำอุปมาหรือสำนวนในภาษาไทยที่ใกล้เคียงกัน ซึ่งก็คือ "ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น อาจกล่าวได้ว่า แอนนาคือช้างเท้าหน้า"

จนถึงตอนนี้ ทั้งสองคำแปล มีความหมายเดียวกัน แต่เป็นการแปลจากภาษาอังกฤษ ซึ่งหากว่าไม่มีภาษาอังกฤษ มีแต่ภาษาไทย ให้คุณแปลกลับเป็นภาษาอังกฤษ มันก็ไม่ผิดที่จะแปลคำว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" เป็น "We might say that..." หรือ "It could be said that...".

พอจะเห็นถึงความแตกต่างไหมครับ ภาษาต้นทางคือภาษาอะไร เราต้องการแปลเป็นภาษาอะไร นั่นคือประเด็น

แต่ถ้าจะมาถกกันว่า คำว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" น่าจะแปลเป็น "We might say that..." หรือ "It could be said that..." เท่านั้น จะเป็นคำว่า "so to speak" ไม่ได้ ผมว่ามันไม่ถูกต้อง เพราะภาษาต้นทางมันต่างกัน

อย่างที่ได้กล่าวมาแล้วว่า "สี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัสทุกรูปเป็นรูปสี่เหลี่ยม แต่ใช่ว่าสี่เหลี่ยมทุกรูปสี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัส"

ดังนั้น "so to speak" แปลว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" ได้ แต่ใช่ว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" ต้องแปลเป็น "so to speak" เสมอไป จริงไหมครับ

ส่วนที่พูดไปว่า "I might argue that I would translate 'maybe I should say that...' to "บางทีผมควรที่จะพูดว่า" which is totally different to "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า"." นั้น ก็เป็นการเล่นคำอย่างหนึ่ง คือ คำว่า 'maybe I should say that...' ก็สามารถแปลว่า "บางทีผมควรที่จะพูดว่า" เช่นกัน แต่ก็ไม่ได้หมายความว่า ต้องแปลเป็นความหมายนี้เท่านั้น มันขึ้นอยู่กับบริบทและการใช้งาน และสำนวนการใช้ภาษาของแต่ละคนด้วย แต่ถ้าแปลแบบนี้ ความหมายมันจะต่างกับคำว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" เรียกได้ว่า ไปคนละทางเลย

ที่ได้ถก ๆ กันมา เพียงอยากชี้ให้เห็นว่า คำถามที่เจ้าของกระทู้ต้องการคืออะไร ที่ผมตอบไป ก็เพียงแค่ต้องการสนองต่อเจ้าของกระทู้ แต่เมื่อมีคนแย้งว่ามันไม่ใช่ ก็ไม่รู้จะอธิบายยังไง ก็มันใช้กันอย่างนั้นจริง ๆ ในภาษาไทย

ส่วนที่คุณถามว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" หมายความว่าอะไร ในกรณีนี้ "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" ก็เป็นคำพูดในเชิงที่บอกว่า ความหมายของคำที่กล่าวมานั้น ไม่ได้เป็นไปตามตัวอักษรนั่นเอง หรือเปรียบได้เป็น ซึ่งจากความหมายนี้ ก็เข้ากับนิยามของคำว่า "so to speak" ในภาษาอังกฤษ

With Yoot's kind permission and after his proofreading, here is my English translation of his most recent post. I did this to help me better think through his points, as well as to make his post accessible to a broader audience here.

Apologies for the font soup -- at least it makes it clear where I've copied and pasted from Yoot's post, I suppose.

คุณอานนท์

Khun aanon

ขออธิบายเป็นภาษาไทยนะครับ จะได้ไม่เข้าใจผิดกันอีก

Allow me to explain in Thai so there won't be any further misunderstandings.

เริ่มแรกคือ เจ้าของกระทู้ ต้องการทราบคำแปลของคำว่า "so to speak" ซึ่งในการแปลคำนี้ สามารถแปลได้หลายอย่าง ขึ้นกับสถานการณ์ และบริบท

Initially, the OP asked for a translation for "so to speak". Depending on the situation and the context, this term can be translated a number of ways --

และเท่าที่อ่านมา ความหมายของ "so to speak" นั้น แม้แต่เจ้าของภาษาเองยังเห็นต่างกันบ้างเล็ก ๆ จริงไหมครับ

and, from what I've read, it seems that even native speakers have different ideas about the meaning of "so to speak". Am I right?

คำแปลของมันตามพจนานุกรม ก็แปลได้สองอย่าง แต่ความหมายใกล้เคียงกัน ภาษาไทยที่บอกว่าเป็นคำแปลของคำนี้ ก็มีหลายวลี ซึ่งมีความหมายใกล้เคียงกัน

According to the dictionary it can have two meanings, but they're quite similar. There are a number of Thai phrases given as translations, [again] with similar meanings.

ประเด็นคือ จากตัวอย่างภาษาอังกฤษที่ได้มาจากพจนานุกรม "In that relationship it's very much Anna who wears the trousers, so to speak." นั้น จะแปลเป็นภาษาไทยได้สองกรณีคือ

Getting to the point, if we look at the English example sentence given in the dictionary,

"In that relationship it's very much Anna who wears the trousers, so to speak," we can render it two ways in Thai, namely

1. แปลให้ได้ความหมาย โดยไม่ต้องมีคำอธิบายเพิ่มเติม ซึ่งก็คือ "ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่าแอนนาเป็นผู้ที่ตัดสินใจในเรื่องสำคัญทั้งหมด" ซึ่งก็หมายถึง ได้แปลงคำอุปมาหรือสำนวนในภาษาอังกฤษให้เป็นคำอธิบายในภาษาไทยแล้ว หรือว่า

1. Translating to deliver the meaning without requiring any further explanation: ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น พอที่จะกล่าวได้ว่าแอนนาเป็นผู้ที่ตัดสินใจในเรื่องสำคัญทั้งหมด" . In this case we've replaced an English metaphor with an explanation of its meaning in Thai.

1. แปลโดยเปลี่ยนคำอุปมาหรือสำนวนในภาษาอังกฤษ ให้เป็นคำอุปมาหรือสำนวนในภาษาไทยที่ใกล้เคียงกัน ซึ่งก็คือ "ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น อาจกล่าวได้ว่า แอนนาคือช้างเท้าหน้า"

2. Replacing an English metaphor or idiom with a close Thai equivalent: "ในความสัมพันธ์นั้น อาจกล่าวได้ว่า แอนนาคือช้างเท้าหน้า"

จนถึงตอนนี้ ทั้งสองคำแปล มีความหมายเดียวกัน แต่เป็นการแปลจากภาษาอังกฤษ ซึ่งหากว่าไม่มีภาษาอังกฤษ มีแต่ภาษาไทย ให้คุณแปลกลับเป็นภาษาอังกฤษ มันก็ไม่ผิดที่จะแปลคำว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" เป็น "We might say that..." หรือ "It could be said that...".

At this point, both translations hold the same meanings -- but [remember] they're translations from English. If there was no English original, only Thai, there would be nothing wrong with translating "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" as "We might say that..." or "It could be said that...".

พอจะเห็นถึงความแตกต่างไหมครับ ภาษาต้นทางคือภาษาอะไร เราต้องการแปลเป็นภาษาอะไร นั่นคือประเด็น

Do you see the distinction [i'm making]? What is the source language? What is the target language? That's the point.

แต่ถ้าจะมาถกกันว่า คำว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" น่าจะแปลเป็น "We might say that..." หรือ "It could be said that..." เท่านั้น จะเป็นคำว่า "so to speak" ไม่ได้ ผมว่ามันไม่ถูกต้อง เพราะภาษาต้นทางมันต่างกัน

But if people are going to argue that "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" should only be translated as "We might say that" or "It could be said that" and that it cannot be rendered as "so to speak", then I think this is incorrect because [we are talking about] different source languages.

อย่างที่ได้กล่าวมาแล้วว่า "สี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัสทุกรูปเป็นรูปสี่เหลี่ยม แต่ใช่ว่าสี่เหลี่ยมทุกรูปสี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัส"

As I've said, "All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares".

ดังนั้น "so to speak" แปลว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" ได้ แต่ใช่ว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" ต้องแปลเป็น "so to speak" เสมอไป จริงไหมครับ

So, too, "so to speak" can be translated as "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" but it's not the case that "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" always has to be translated as "so to speak". Am I right?

ส่วนที่พูดไปว่า "I might argue that I would translate 'maybe I should say that...' to "บางทีผมควรที่จะพูดว่า" which is totally different to "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า"." นั้น ก็เป็นการเล่นคำอย่างหนึ่ง คือ คำว่า 'maybe I should say that...' ก็สามารถแปลว่า "บางทีผมควรที่จะพูดว่า" เช่นกัน แต่ก็ไม่ได้หมายความว่า ต้องแปลเป็นความหมายนี้เท่านั้น มันขึ้นอยู่กับบริบทและการใช้งาน และสำนวนการใช้ภาษาของแต่ละคนด้วย แต่ถ้าแปลแบบนี้ ความหมายมันจะต่างกับคำว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" เรียกได้ว่า ไปคนละทางเลย

As for me saying that "I might argue that I would translate 'maybe I should say that...' to "บางทีผมควรที่จะพูดว่า" which is totally different to "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า", I was playing around with words. "Maybe I should say that..." could be translated as "บางทีผมควรที่จะพูดว่า", but that doesn't mean it can only be translated this way. It depends on context and the usage -- and each person's style of language. However, if we did translate ['maybe I should say that...'] in such a way, [the result] would be something quite different to "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" in meaning.

ที่ได้ถก ๆ กันมา เพียงอยากชี้ให้เห็นว่า คำถามที่เจ้าของกระทู้ต้องการคืออะไร ที่ผมตอบไป ก็เพียงแค่ต้องการสนองต่อเจ้าของกระทู้ แต่เมื่อมีคนแย้งว่ามันไม่ใช่ ก็ไม่รู้จะอธิบายยังไง ก็มันใช้กันอย่างนั้นจริง ๆ ในภาษาไทย

In making my arguments, I just wanted to point out what it was that the OP was looking for; just wanted to respond to the OP. But when people argue that [my responses] are wrong, I don't what else I can say to explain -- after all, this is how [the terms] really are used in the Thai language!

ส่วนที่คุณถามว่า "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" หมายความว่าอะไร ในกรณีนี้ "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" ก็เป็นคำพูดในเชิงที่บอกว่า ความหมายของคำที่กล่าวมานั้น ไม่ได้เป็นไปตามตัวอักษรนั่นเอง หรือเปรียบได้เป็น ซึ่งจากความหมายนี้ ก็เข้ากับนิยามของคำว่า "so to speak" ในภาษาอังกฤษ

As for your question about what "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" means in this case, "อาจกล่าวได้ว่า" implies precisely that what was said is not literal in meaning, or is analogous. Based on this meaning, it fits with the definition of "so to speak" in English.

อย่างที่ได้กล่าวมาแล้วว่า "สี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัสทุกรูปเป็นรูปสี่เหลี่ยม แต่ใช่ว่าสี่เหลี่ยมทุกรูป........สี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัส"

Is there something missing here? there should be a verb จะเป็น other wise it says 'all four sided shapes........squares' I think!

อย่างที่ได้กล่าวมาแล้วว่า "สี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัสทุกรูปเป็นรูปสี่เหลี่ยม แต่ใช่ว่าสี่เหลี่ยมทุกรูป........สี่เหลี่ยมจัตุรัส"

Is there something missing here? there should be a verb จะเป็น other wise it says 'all four sided shapes........squares' I think!

Yeah, just a typo. I must have just read past it too.