Beer Chang Faces Stiff Competition Next Year

george

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In fact, Australia is NOT a member of ASEAN, but it does have observer status at most ASEAN meetings. I doubt if this would qualify it to export beer to Thailand tariff-free.

Also, I didn't see anything in the article to suggest that non-ASEAN brands would be allowed in tariff free, even if they are brewed in an ASEAN country. I am sure that the Thai beer barons will ensure that all non-ASEAN brands do not qualify for tariff-free entry, so they only have to compete with Bin Tang and Tiger beers (which of course are much better than Thai beers anyway).

Couple of points.

I would think that under the rules of original applicable to the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement, any beer brewed in an ASEAN country would achieve sufficient local content to be regarded as a product of that country.

As far as Australia is concerned, it is a moot point. Under the terms of the Thai - Oz FTA:

Beer, wine and spirits

Thailand immediately reduced its previous 54% tariff on wine to 40%, and will phase the tariff to zero in 2015.

Thailand reduced the previous tariffs on beer and spirits from 60% to 30%. Tariffs will be phased to zero in 2010.

http://www.austrade.gov.au/TAFTA8311/default.aspx

:)

Bier Ha Noi would be nice. Maybe they don't want us to leave after all. This could be a great marketing strategy to increase tourism. What a great idea! :)

What are all the wonderful regulations here? No buying beer (alcohol) in the morning, no buying in the afternoon. Close bars early. No buying beer on "dry" days for elections and religious holidays. I just cannot see hoards of beer swilling tourists rushing to Thailand to peer at beer through locked glass doors. But, hey, that's fine by me 'cos I wouldn't want to be sharing bar stools with a tourist who makes their travel destination decisions based on what brand of beer they can buy. :D

It is about time that Beer Chang and mister Charoen are subjected to normal business rules. Beer Chang became this big on the expense of Singha Beer because they had an defacto Whickey monopoly and therefore any shop who needed Thai Whiskey was forced to buy Chang beer. But I suppose that is all fine when you belong to the Happy few in Thailand. I wonder if Carlsberg will make a re entry another company that got screwed by Charoen.

Don't hold your breath. It's a well kept secret that the big boys, Chang and Singha, bully retailers into not carrying competing brands from overseas even though they're three times as expensive as local brews. They'll manage to keep imported beers with low tariffs off the shelves as well. Furthermore, the big boys keep Customs in check through bribes to make sure that few beers can ever clear customs. They languish in unrefrigerated warehouses for months.

For more perspective, consider that Thailand has had an FTA with Australia for about three years now and the price of wines from down under are only marginally cheaper than imports from other countries.

Finally, the beers brewed in other Asean countries are merely bottled rainwater, just like the Thai brands.

It's a sad state of affairs when people praise Beer Lao and hope it's coming when we all know the wonderful craft beers that are prevalent in the UK, Germany, Oz and US.

I'll continue my illegal home brewing operation so I don't have to drink the suds of Thailand.

Bier Ha Noi would be nice. Maybe they don't want us to leave after all. This could be a great marketing strategy to increase tourism. What a great idea! :)

What are all the wonderful regulations here? No buying beer (alcohol) in the morning, no buying in the afternoon. Close bars early. No buying beer on "dry" days for elections and religious holidays. I just cannot see hoards of beer swilling tourists rushing to Thailand to peer at beer through locked glass doors. But, hey, that's fine by me 'cos I wouldn't want to be sharing bar stools with a tourist who makes their travel destination decisions based on what brand of beer they can buy. :D

What's the emoticon for sarcasm, or do we have to spell it out? Sharing bar stools, or sharing with bar stool? Seems to me a lot of people are drinking in the mornings, and I've never had a problem buying beer on those pre-election dry days. Cheers!

Tiger Beer promotes rheumatism. C'mon support the Sweet Chang... dontcha forget that sweet bottle did accompany you thru al'those times... :D

And not to forget where you are standing/sitting... So to all of y'all, pls Buy Thai... Kob khun mak krap... :)

On the $ side, you put $ into Thai product, goes into Thai company, paid to Thai employees, back into the Thai system, supporting the Kingdom of Thailand. :D

That is if you WANT to support Thailand. I'd rather not because of the protectionism that is rampant in virtually every industry here.

Wish they would extend this to wine and liquor. Getting tired of paying B500 for something that costs B200 in other markets.

I find Chang to be a relatively nice beer. Their Draught and Lite flavors are pretty disgusting. Bring on Beer Lao! Good stuff.

Bier Hanoi what a great idea about 16 cents a pint and dam_n good shouted the bar one night in Hanoi. cost $3.50... just bloody marvellous !!!!! and wait till you suckers taste Aussie COOPERS..... beer perfection...... the only decent thing ever to come out of South Aussie . The Ale Champions of the Universe!!!!!!!

Instead of a marketing campain, maybe make the beer better.

Thai companies do not like competition.

Are there many European beer manufacturers with breweries in Malay or Singapore which would then sell their beer here?

stout

Bier Hanoi what a great idea about 16 cents a pint and dam_n good shouted the bar one night in Hanoi. cost $3.50... just bloody marvellous !!!!! and wait till you suckers taste Aussie COOPERS..... beer perfection...... the only decent thing ever to come out of South Aussie . The Ale Champions of the Universe!!!!!!!

You can already buy Coopers here. It's at Tops and Central Chitlom and Villa. Unfortunately, it's rather flavorless as far as craft ales go. But it's better than NO ALE AT ALL.