Boring Old Thailand?

The Vulcan

I'm feeling a bit controversial at the moment but do you agree that this is a real boring country for us photographers?

Landscape wise it's a joke - green, green and more green, and a bit of brown dust with tons of rubbish and overhead wires to "enhance" it ! Everywhere I go, wires, wires and more wires - beautiful eh? I reckon Afghanistan is probably better! :)

Or we can shoot temples -aargh! - when I've seen one I've seen them all!

Sport and action - well, there ain't none - a few beach activities now and then and a few 3rd rate car/bike events and that's it - one big yarn. :D

Street life and City life - excuse the pun, but I've seen more life on a tramps vest. Everything is under the shade and sooooo boring.

I remember when I first moved over here and offered my services to my stock agencies - they laughed!

No surprise now.

What's (wats - aaargh) your opinion?

When you come from a country as beautiful as Australia, just about everything else comes second, so I can only agree with what you are saying.

I still see plenty of things everyday to photograph but I probably havent been snapping away as long as you, actually Im sure I havent.

When you come from a country as beautiful as Australia, just about everything else comes second, so I can only agree with what you are saying.

I still see plenty of things everyday to photograph but I probably havent been snapping away as long as you, actually Im sure I havent.

Easy boy, I ain't that old! :)

I actually agree with everything Vulcan said but I'm surprised to hear that from someone who has posted so many photos of Thailand.

I just went down to Had Yai over the weekend and thought the cityscape in Thailand look all the same, making only Bangkok so unique (not in a positive way anyway).

I actually don't take any picture in Thailand other than for wedding, funeral and other social event, or for that matter travel in Thailand unless I have to...

Edited by Nordlys

My goodness OP, wrong side of bed this morning? :)

To me, far from boring, but you definitely have to refocus (so to speak).

I don't agree about the landscape. As someone else pointed out -- the mountains of the north, mountains in other select areas, the limestone formations of the deep south. I do agree with you about WIRES! Even in some places that ought to be designed more beautifully (I'm talking special places) the darned wires hang everywhere.

Temples, well I know what you mean, but that adds to the challenge...finding that different angle...or angle. A lot of temples are rather unique in smaller ways, but it's easy to breeze through and think they look the same.

Now, I'm not into sport and action, but, a good game of takraw...lots of challenging action for the photographer. Boat races...hmmm...a challenge to photograph.

Street life is a challenge due to the shade, and I have to admit I am shy to photograph people...but lots of opportunities for those "third world" scenes.

Life along the river. Visiting a Bangkok slum.

Another option is to not go out to photograph some specific "thing", but do a photography walk. I often do this. I pick a neighborhood, and based on nothing more than a good map, plan a walk through that neighborhood. I look for things...especially things I wouldn't plan for.

I think there's lots out there, but it does require us to look at our environment differently than what we would see back in our own country.

Thanks for a good post...gets one thinking!

Yeah, I ran through my photos the other day and decided to start concentrating on pics of the people. I've that many photos of the Mekong I could give river cruises without going out of my house.

Always something new and different if you're into people watching.

post-38081-1258082416_thumb.jpg

I am happy I did not choose to live in the south close to the sea when I moved to Thailand.

I am still happy with the mountains and the rivers here up in the north after 8 years. So much to explore.

Last week me and 3 friends took an offroadtrip for 3 days Chiang Rai - Tatoon - Doi An Kang - Fang - Chiang Rai. 500 km and not more than 60 - 70 km on highways.

80 km from Tatoon to Doi An Kang on the border to Burma, not one electric or telephonewire. But a fantastic landscape.

post-29230-1258085384_thumb.jpg post-29230-1258085414_thumb.jpg post-29230-1258085437_thumb.jpg

post-29230-1258085465_thumb.jpg post-29230-1258085504_thumb.jpg

3 days ago, Biggles Big band from Amsterdam played at The legend. Good to listen to and some nice shots.

post-29230-1258085699_thumb.jpg post-29230-1258086005_thumb.jpg post-29230-1258086221_thumb.jpg

2 days ago, Cowboy Night in Chiang Rai 2009.

post-29230-1258086312_thumb.jpg post-29230-1258086396_thumb.jpg post-29230-1258086420_thumb.jpg

See photos in Chiang Rai forum.

So I think the OP should try to travel up to the north. Nan, Phayao, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai provinces got a lot.

:D:):D

Perhaps you should get out more often in and around your area The Vulcan. I did and visited Phraya Nakhon Cave - Khao Sam Roi Yot, at the age of 60 this September, took me 3 hours and a bit to climb up, down, up and down again. :)

Best time to do this is 8.30 am by boat and then start the climb. Take some water with you as you may need it.

I was too late btw, still managed a HDR though :D

large.jpg

Thailand is not boring, well not to me. :D Still geen for a bit and the dust is always brown even in this cave :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Perhaps you should get out more often in and around your area

Thailand is not boring, well not to me. :D Still geen for a bit and the dust is always brown even in this cave :D

A very nice HDR!

I like the colors and you really got it right!

Congrats! :):D:D

wires.jpg

WIRES

They are your constant companion beside every road .

They spoil many a beautiful shot.

They remind me of a Kaosarn hair weave gone horribly wrong.

They encroach and block many a temple and tourist attraction.

Thailand is beautiful but the wires are like a national bad hair day.

They are the biggest frustration as you try to photogragh the land of smiles

Edited by Pooklook

Take artsy-fartsy photos and overcook them as HDRs; crop them to make them even more avant-garde and post them on a forum because you're bored. It's like a full circle thing....

Like this:

post-94381-1258540224_thumb.jpg

Or take a picture of that pesky ghost that keeps scaring the kids at night:

post-94381-1258540770_thumb.jpg

If all else fails to excite you, get out that snap of the alien invasion back in 'oh six and put funny words on it:

post-94381-1258541029_thumb.jpg

Perhaps you should get out more often in and around your area The Vulcan. I did and visited Phraya Nakhon Cave - Khao Sam Roi Yot, at the age of 60 this September, took me 3 hours and a bit to climb up, down, up and down again. :)

Best time to do this is 8.30 am by boat and then start the climb. Take some water with you as you may need it.

I was too late btw, still managed a HDR though :D

large.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan, I am hoping not to commit a mortal sin here but I have never played with HDR's before tonight. I am assuming you did this HDR at the Camera and not with a program afterwards or am I wrong?

I now need to get a remote for the Camera which was on the cards anyway. So many remotes, so little money :D

cheers neverdie

ps: by the way, I love the shot, great work.

Hey neverdie....for HDR info look here...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fabianfred-H...ge-t272081.html

done at home not in camera...but you need to take at least three shots at different exposures to use in the Photomatix software.

I usually use my camera hand-held and can quickly set it to take three shots at ISO bracket +1,0,-1 ....although obviously using a tripod is best and altering the shutter speed rather than the aperture to keep the focus zone the same. Since Photomatix has a useful aligning process to match the images...it then crops the unequal borders to complete the job.

^Thanks fabianfred,

Before posting above I watched a tutorial on the net from a guy with a Nikon D3 & the did the entire HDR process in the camera & he did this by going thru a million & one camera settings and then taking 5 pictures using the method you described above, ISO brackets EV + 1.0, 0.0, -1.0 & so forth.

Anyway, having never played with this before we gave it a go using a flood light to create some good shadows etc & then as I read more I realised that most people acheive the HDR Process thru photoshop or whatever program they are using.

Its another great shot by the might kan & I was just wondering what methods he used to acheive the look.

I dunno much about this but its certainly fun learning new things. Thanks for the link & the tips fred. Cheers :)

Hey neverdie....for HDR info look here...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fabianfred-H...ge-t272081.html

done at home not in camera...but you need to take at least three shots at different exposures to use in the Photomatix software.

I usually use my camera hand-held and can quickly set it to take three shots at ISO bracket +1,0,-1 ....although obviously using a tripod is best and altering the shutter speed rather than the aperture to keep the focus zone the same. Since Photomatix has a useful aligning process to match the images...it then crops the unequal borders to complete the job.

Same as you 'fabianfred' ISO bracket +1,0,-1, but that does not always works for me :D See photo below.

^Thanks fabianfred,

Before posting above I watched a tutorial on the net from a guy with a Nikon D3 & the did the entire HDR process in the camera & he did this by going thru a million & one camera settings and then taking 5 pictures using the method you described above, ISO brackets EV + 1.0, 0.0, -1.0 & so forth.

Anyway, having never played with this before we gave it a go using a flood light to create some good shadows etc & then as I read more I realised that most people acheive the HDR Process thru photoshop or whatever program they are using.

Its another great shot by the might kan & I was just wondering what methods he used to acheive the look.

I dunno much about this but its certainly fun learning new things. Thanks for the link & the tips fred. Cheers :)

Sorry to tell you it was just one shot :D

Olympus E-3

1/30s f/2.8 iso320

and played around with it.

Changed the settings in two of the three photos that I used and then using 'Photomatix' to 'Tone Mapped' it

Added Sharpness and less noise.

P9224578 Shrine 2_ B_ C_tonemapped 1 Sharp less noise

Final touch up with ACDSee Pro 2.5.

Now you know.

A Real 3 shot one was not as good as the one shot photo

original.jpg

P9224584_2_3_tonemapped 1 sharp, less noise, Bright adjusted Cropped Small

The question still remains is 'Boring Old Thailand?' really Boring :D

Yours truly,