Farang Security Guard In Bangkok

I've seen a couple at various schools who volunteer as traffic/crosswalk guards. They don't get paid but they do that whole 'helping people park with furious whistling' thing.

:)

Heng, I'm assuming you're Thai, do you actually understand what those guys mean with their 'furious whistling'? I've thus far failed to decipher the meaning behind each powerful toot.

There is no such thing as a farang security guard in LOS. At least not a paid one anyway...

as someone else said, there sort of is.

The UN building has a whole troop of them, plus a couple of burly Fijian ex.rugby players thrown in for good measure.

Quite a strange site in the mornings and afternoons seeing a white bloke in the middle of a BKK Rd directing traffic....uniform and all.

I've seen a couple at various schools who volunteer as traffic/crosswalk guards. They don't get paid but they do that whole 'helping people park with furious whistling' thing.

Heng, I'm assuming you're Thai, do you actually understand what those guys mean with their 'furious whistling'? I've thus far failed to decipher the meaning behind each powerful toot.

Yeah, it's pretty complicated. Each toot is typically either 'stop' or 'go.' Fortunately one has a 50/50 chance of guessing right.

:D

I suppose the UN can hire them as security personnel without work permits in the same way they can hire foreign secretaries which is not normally possible for private companies. Maybe they don't trust Thai security guards but embassies like the Americans and British also have non-Thai security guards and the American marines at the embassy have weapons as far as I know. The job is not restricted to Thais but normally the pay would not be enough to get a work permit and I think it would be hard to convince Immigration and the Labour Ministry that Thais don't have the qualifications to blow whistles and direct traffic in the Bangkok smog.

Yeah, it's pretty complicated. Each toot is typically either 'stop' or 'go.' Fortunately one has a 50/50 chance of guessing right.

:D

:D I hate it when they do "stop,stop,go" just to confuse me.

No, think all the ex farang security guards join the Tourist Police volenteers in Pattaya :)

Thats the only job that a farang does not need a work visa for.

Funny I was just going to post a thread asking about them...

I saw them in Chiang Mai and was wondering what the deal w/ them was :D

There is no such thing as a farang security guard in LOS. At least not a paid one anyway...

Yes,agreed,hasnt anyone on here ever read the the list of jobs banned for farangs..Its as long as your arm

Do you really think a thai company would pay a (already rich) lazy farang to lounge about all day when they can pay a lazy thai to do the lazy jobs :)

I suppose the UN can hire them as security personnel without work permits in the same way they can hire foreign secretaries which is not normally possible for private companies. Maybe they don't trust Thai security guards but embassies like the Americans and British also have non-Thai security guards and the American marines at the embassy have weapons as far as I know. The job is not restricted to Thais but normally the pay would not be enough to get a work permit and I think it would be hard to convince Immigration and the Labour Ministry that Thais don't have the qualifications to blow whistles and direct traffic in the Bangkok smog.

Hmm I wonder who the Thais are at the security gates?? They must be in disguise.

All Embassies are entitled to have their own Government employed guards but the actual running is locals.

I know one german in Hua Hin who is a professional bodyguard.

His name is Klaus and he runs a Kung <deleted> camp in Takiab.

Very nice guy. He used to take care of Bruce Willis and other celebrities in Berlin.

Yeah Bruce WIllis spends a lot of time "shooting" in Berlin. Check his bio.

I know one german in Hua Hin who is a professional bodyguard.

His name is Klaus and he runs a Kung <deleted> camp in Takiab.

Very nice guy. He used to take care of Bruce Willis and other celebrities in Berlin.

Yeah Bruce WIllis spends a lot of time "shooting" in Berlin. Check his bio.

lol

Yes,agreed,hasnt anyone on here ever read the the list of jobs banned for farangs..Its as long as your arm

Do you really think a thai company would pay a (already rich) lazy farang to lounge about all day when they can pay a lazy thai to do the lazy jobs :)

Check the list for Oz. Its nearly as long. Then look at most developing countries. They do the same. Also check the legislation you will find there are logical exceptions and loopholes. Every country protects its citizens in this regard.

Hmm I wonder who the Thais are at the security gates?? They must be in disguise.

All Embassies are entitled to have their own Government employed guards but the actual running is locals.

At most embassies they appear to be all Thai's. The one exception I know of is the British embassy, where there are plenty of Gurkha's manning the post. Made the mistake once of asking a question in Thai, he politely replied to me in English he didn't understand...

The British Embassy now has a contract with Chubb which supplies the people that take away your mobile phone and put you through the metal detector (things they didn't do before Chubb). However, the Gurkhas are still there and in overall charge of security. There are about a dozen of them under a sergeant-major, all retired from the British Brigade of Gurkhas. Maybe the Chubb contract is the thin end of the wedge in nixing them completely. I don't know what the FCO is planning but I would prefer to trust my security to the Gurkhas, even though have only their kukris as weapons, than to locally sourced whistle blowers, if I lived at the embassy with my family - they now have 30 families there, since they built new living quarters with some of the cash received from Central for the plot of land at the front. The new high density residential quarters actually make the embassy a more interesting potential target for terrorists and therefore security is even more critical now and Bangkok is a city where rogue soldiers seem permitted to lob RPGs into crowds and attempt high profile assassinations using government weapons without fear of arrest. I assume the Americans still have their contingent of marine guards, although they also have local security guards to take away mobile phones etc.