Another Fast Arrival At Suvarnabhumi

NanLaew

Arrived back from a business trip on Thursday night. The UA flight was 20 minutes early so the gate wasn't free and we had to bus to the terminal but despite that, I had time to grab some duty free purchases before a rapid line through Immigration where I could see my bags on the carousel beyond. All 3 bags (including the oversize bike transporter) fit on the trolley and on through Customs without raising an eyebrow. Grabbed one of those London cabs from AOT Limo and was checking into the Conrad 75 minutes after they opened the doors on the plane.

No dodgy touts, no duty-free rip-offs, no mistakes at immigration, no yabaa taxi drivers... easy!

Gotta love this airport!

all the immigration & customs officials including Thai Tourist ministry are full minded with the tension of Cambodia (Thaksin) and probably feel provoking or mis-treating arriving tourist and returning residents at Suvannabhumi will certainly indeed hamper or

jeopardize the tourism & business travelers.

15th, Oct on a flight from Melbourne Australia with Jetstar,

I was sitting in a taxi within 20 minutes of exiting the aircraft. That was with the immigration hall being rather busy. At least 12 people in each immigration queue. Took about 10 minutes to clear immigration. Just in time to collect my luggage which were waiting for me in the baggage hall.

Straight through customs, no touts or doggy looking locals trying to lead me astray or empty my wallet. Didn't even have time for a cigarette at the taxi stand as I was the only one in the queue.

In fact I was home in Ekkamai 45 minute arrive exiting the flight.

Not much that could be improved on, but imagine if immigration was even quicker when both departing and arriving! It would then receive my vote as the best airport.

all the immigration & customs officials including Thai Tourist ministry are full minded with the tension of Cambodia (Thaksin) and probably feel provoking or mis-treating arriving tourist and returning residents at Suvannabhumi will certainly indeed hamper or jeopardize the tourism & business travelers.

I think it's less of a stretch to simply admit that the facilities and staff at Suvarnabhumi are excellent rather than subscribe to a rather tenuous contention that somehow the ex- PM's new presence in the area is making the airport staff, managers and government officials work more efficiently.

I've never understood the critics of Swampy immigration. Usually very quick particularly coming in. Going out suffers from the great weight of aircraft leaving between 8pm and 1am

Thai immigration are very neat with their stamps - religiously filling up every inch of a page before starting a new one. Too many nations seem to want to spray their mark everywhere. The US particularly.

I've never understood the critics of Swampy immigration. Usually very quick particularly coming in. Going out suffers from the great weight of aircraft leaving between 8pm and 1am

Thai immigration are very neat with their stamps - religiously filling up every inch of a page before starting a new one. Too many nations seem to want to spray their mark everywhere. The US particularly.

:)

When I worked in Saudi Arabia it took:

1 full page for each exit visa

1 full page for each entry visa

and 1 small stamp (1 small square) for each date stamp.

So 1 exit and 1 re-entry took 2.5 pages for each trip out/back in.

I normally took two vacations a year....so do the math.

I used 2 American passports (including 10 extra page extensions) in 5 years of work in Saudi.

That's 80 pages, but I admit 1 page each trip was for Thai entry/exit stamps. And a couple of visits to Singapore.

:D

I have to agree...I like the way Thai Immigration always tries to put the entry and exit stamps together, and to maximize the use of the pages. My most recent visa extension did use three pages though....one for the application, one for the extension granted, one for the re-entry permit. Although, it probably would have been two pages, but I traveled outside between the application and the extension granted, and when I came back in K Duangjai stamped me in on the same page as the application for extension stamp. K Chalemchai (aka K White-Out) was not pleased....

So far, India has been the worst...stamping on top of their own stamps and others, not even making an attempt to put entries and exits together...even though they always look for the entry stamp.

USA is just hit-or-miss...sometimes stamp, sometimes not...sometimes the stamp looks like only half of it was inked.

So pleased to find a thread of positives about the airport. In 20 years I've never had a hard time ... even the occasional negligent (on my part) overstay always got dealt with politely, with a joke and a smile, and never a cross word. I certainly cannot say the same of those wanke_rs at HKG immigration! I do miss the days of my weekly BKK>HKG or BKK>SGN commutes out of Don Muang though. The parking attendants used to save me a spot near the lifts and have my Pajero nicely polished upon the return. One could enjoy a fat spliff in the car, hit the Cathay lounge for a Kloster, and/or a whiskey, and/or or a champers, depending on the time of day, eat splendidly, sleep right up to the gate at Kai Tak, and easily be on the beach at Shek O in 40 minutes. And on the return there was that lovely local awaiting at the car just downstairs... Sure made for a relaxing weekend and brilliant start to the working week. Both cities how sport fancy new eye-candy airports much further from town. Both are far less personal places. But both work flawlessly! Anyone ever heard such a kind word from regular patrons of JFK or LAX?

• 2 weeks later...

And with the introduction of Fast Track security and Immigration for Biz and First Class passengers, it is just wonderful.

Arriving from Hong Kong on Monday, 11.30pm, with invitation card from the airline (Emirates) to go through Fast Track Immigration, I was off the plane, into a chauffeur limo within 15 minutes, (hand baggage only). Nobody in the queue for Immigration - two desks open to choose from.

Same outbound on a lunch-time flight. Bag screened, politeness all round.

It does get better - and yes, I agree, throwing up smokescreens about the officers having their minds on Cambodia is utter drivel.

Praise where praise it due. I'll certainly gave it to those who deserved it at the airport, and will give it openly on this forum.

"Good on ya, Suvarnabhumi Immigration".

I can see complaints about immigration as it varies a lot depending on what time you arrive. The peak hours of the airport is MADNESS!

The last time I used the airport it was actually quite organized. Two complaints though.

1. The baggages arrive on the carousel quite quickly. During peak times, it takes longer for people to get through immigration. The carousel was so full because no one took the luggages from it yet that those poor staff had to climbed up and stopped the carousel. Luckily this will be solved as the AOT will install the carousel sensor so that when it's too full it will automatically stop filling the luggages. The other solution is to speed up the immigration :)

2. Trolleys are in very a bad condition. The next batch the AOT promised is still nowhere to be found.

:)

When I worked in Saudi Arabia it took:

1 full page for each exit visa

1 full page for each entry visa

and 1 small stamp (1 small square) for each date stamp.

So 1 exit and 1 re-entry took 2.5 pages for each trip out/back in.

I normally took two vacations a year....so do the math.

I used 2 American passports (including 10 extra page extensions) in 5 years of work in Saudi.

That's 80 pages, but I admit 1 page each trip was for Thai entry/exit stamps. And a couple of visits to Singapore.

:D

In 2 years in Saudi I had the same passport and managed to leave the country (approximately) every week. That was 5 years ago and I found the Saudi immigration were meticulous in finding a clear spot on a used page.

I could not say the same for any other country.

thai are not much bend on rules, so things, like going with a relative through a thai emmigration channel (which are shorter and faster than for the foreigners), are quite common, happened to me many times.

but in many other countries officials would as well try to help families going together, so they don't spleet and get lost

Edited by londonthai

And with the introduction of Fast Track security and Immigration for Biz and First Class passengers, it is just wonderful.

Arriving from Hong Kong on Monday, 11.30pm, with invitation card from the airline (Emirates) to go through Fast Track Immigration, I was off the plane, into a chauffeur limo within 15 minutes, (hand baggage only). Nobody in the queue for Immigration - two desks open to choose from.

It does get better - and yes, I agree, throwing up smokescreens about the officers having their minds on Cambodia is utter drivel.

Praise where praise it due. I'll certainly gave it to those who deserved it at the airport, and will give it openly on this forum.

This is good news (neve been indulged mind you) does this work both legs? and are you aware of any other airlines doing this as for Thai airways I have not seen this fastrack (albeit on the outbound there is a dedicated immigration counter) ?

I had time to grab some duty free purchases before a rapid line through Immigration

Is it possible to buy Duty Free goods on WAY IN? They're usually asking for boarding pass... What to do with it? I'd buy some spirits as well, because european duty free shopping is rather expensive...

I had time to grab some duty free purchases before a rapid line through Immigration

Is it possible to buy Duty Free goods on WAY IN? They're usually asking for boarding pass... What to do with it? I'd buy some spirits as well, because european duty free shopping is rather expensive...

Yes you can buy on the way in, about the boarding pass i am not sure, just to record each traveler, what and how much i guess.

This is good news (neve been indulged mind you) does this work both legs? and are you aware of any other airlines doing this as for Thai airways I have not seen this fastrack (albeit on the outbound there is a dedicated immigration counter) ?

Yes it works both outbound AND inbound, and yes, the service is for all Biz and first Class pax, regardless of carrier. My first experience of it was with Emirates.

At check in, Emirates give a 'Fast Track' card which is given to the officer on the immigration desk with your passport. Zap. You're through, and straight into Fast Track Security check.

On arrival, 'Fast Track' card handed out to Biz and First pax with Immigration Arrival Card by flight attendants, (complete with map on reverse showing where the channel is located). My next Biz Class trip will be to Europe in April with Lufthansa, so will expect to use the same Fast Track line and will ask for the card if not given freely on check-in.

It's more like a value-added thing. All this little stuff is what distinguish an airport from another. That's why Changi is the best. It's because they 'care' about this little thing.

For example, I cannot recall another airport where an immigration actually give you a happy birthday card (I happen to arrive there a day after my birthday). I can't recall any other airport where the trolleys are so smooth and effortless to use. And of-course no other airport lets you play an Xbox 360 for free.

My question now is when will US airports start to think about being nice to passengers? Every single time a good trip can turn so bad after going through all the security madness there. I know it's for my protection but it can be done nicely too.

It's an airport. I go there to get on a plane. I don't care about anything else. Did I get on the plane, or depart and get home? Goal - rest is just window dressing.

Well no....it isn't.

If you have 4 or 5 hours to kill between arriving on 1 flight, and leaving on a connecting flight, the window dressing can be quite important.

Showing a boarding pass is pretty standard for DF purchases at any airport; it's the only way the sales outlet can verify that you are qualified to purchase DF, ie. a bona fide traveler and not someone who got lost saying cheerio to granny.

Theoretically, if you are just saying goodbye to granny, you shouldn't be past immigration/security, where the duty free shops are found. :)

Yes it works both outbound AND inbound, and yes, the service is for all Biz and first Class pax, regardless of carrier. My first experience of it was with Emirates.

At check in, Emirates give a 'Fast Track' card which is given to the officer on the immigration desk with your passport. Zap. You're through, and straight into Fast Track Security check.

On arrival, 'Fast Track' card handed out to Biz and First pax with Immigration Arrival Card by flight attendants, (complete with map on reverse showing where the channel is located). My next Biz Class trip will be to Europe in April with Lufthansa, so will expect to use the same Fast Track line and will ask for the card if not given freely on check-in.

That may occur on some carriers, such as Emirates, but not all. I know it does not occur on UA's (one and only) flight from Japan.

That may occur on some carriers, such as Emirates, but not all. I know it does not occur on UA's (one and only) flight from Japan.

That is UA's choice and not anything decided by the airport authorities though.

Since most US carriers must have higher costs due to that added 'security' rigmarole at check-in (heading to the US), I would assume they try and save a few bob with a 'no frills' service on arrivals.

yes, there are holidays and you can expect to que.

today I was waiting 30 minutes, ques were 40 people strong, to the end of the emmigration hall.

some of the tourists are first timers, so pictures haveto be taken, wrongly filled forms etc.

as all flights are full still you have to wait another 30 minutes for the luggage to appear