Any Idea Why I Have To Manually Enter The Dns Info?

motoyen

After signing up with TOT a week ago and not being able to get online they finally sent out a technician today. After a couple of hours of him going back and forth with the head office he was able to get his PC online. However when I tried to get my MacBook Pro online I couldn't. The only way I could was to manually enter the DNS info that I got from logging into the router. Setting my network preferences to use DHCP the DNS it pulls up is 192.168.1.1 which is the generic one for the modem. Any idea on why it's not connecting with the automatic dns settings?

First, plug your laptop to port 1 of the 'modem' using the ethernet cable, and log into it.

Then set it to bridge mode.

Then reboot the 'modem' and then log out and unplug the laptop, and using that cable end to plug into the WAN port of your router.

Now, use another ethernet cable to connect your laptop to port 1 of the router and log into it.

Setup your router with the username and password for it to log into your internet account. You can set DNS addresses to be auto or to be those given by your ISP.

For security, define a new password, and setup wifi security to WPA with keys, etc. Reboot the router.

You can disconnect your laptop from the router and use wireless to connect to it.

Edited by trogers

Thanks for your help trogers. When I log into the modem I can't find the setting for bridge mode. The modem I have is the G Mesh GM-301 so it's a single port wired modem. These are the menu options when I log in:

Device Info

Summary

WAN

Statistics

Route

ARP

DHCP

Advanced Setup

WAN

LAN

NAT

Security

Quality of Service

Routing

DNS

DSL

Certificate

Diagnostics

Management

Thanks for your help trogers. When I log into the modem I can't find the setting for bridge mode. The modem I have is the G Mesh GM-301 so it's a single port wired modem. These are the menu options when I log in:

Device Info

Summary

WAN

Statistics

Route

ARP

DHCP

Advanced Setup

WAN

LAN

NAT

Security

Quality of Service

Routing

DNS

DSL

Certificate

Diagnostics

Management

Usually in WAN or Advanced Setup - WAN.

Look under 'Mode'.

Also, check in Advanced Setup - Routing.

What you want to do is to set it into bridge mode or bridging mode. This will turn off its router.

http://www.gmesh.com/product.php?id=45

Encapsulation supports

· RFC 1483 bridge

· RFC 1483 Router

· Classical IP over ATM (RFC 1577)

· PPP over ATM (RFC 2364)

· PPP over Ethernet (RFC 2516)

Edited by trogers

Remember, setting the modem to Bridging mode will not allow you to connect to the internet yet.

You will need to setup your router with the login username and password and connect it to the modem in order to connect.

Cable connection between modem and router is port 1 of the modem to WAN port of the router.

What is the brand and model of your router?

Edited by trogers

Ah...you are connecting your MacPro directly to the modem. There is no separate router.

In this case, we have to turn on the router in your modem back on.

Note down the 2 DNS servers addresses given to you by your ISP.

Set according to this last photo of your MacPro, press the little reset button that is at the back of the modem for 10 seconds and release it.

Let it power up and connect to the internet.

Then log into the modem using 192.168.1.1

Go to WAN setup , select PPPoE and LLC-routing options in the Connection type. Then enter the username and password given by your ISP in the WAN setup.

Go to DNS setup and enter the 2 DNS server addresses given by your ISP. We do this to avoid any possible problem during the dialup between modem and ISP's DHCP server.

Then go to Management setup and enter a new password for the modem.

Save and reboot the modem and you should be connected to the internet and running.