Mahasarakham

Vegemite

Hello,

I am new to this forum ( or any forum ) and I have a Thai wife from the Isaan. Next year I will be going to upcountry to visit her nine brothers and sisters and ageing parents. My wife comes from the Khaen sub-district of Wapeepathum.

The reason that I have joined this forum is to ask those of you that live there or have visited the area for some or any information on what I can expect.

For me, the thing that worries me the most is the food as I can not eat isaan food for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day and the insects don`t turn me on at all. Is it possible to get farang food. As far as accommodation goes what is the best and the worst place to stay. Can I get a taxi or another form of transport to her village and back without relying on her family. In fact any information would be greatly appreciated.

In reality, my wife will probably organize many things for me but better to be prepared.

Thanks for any input.

Hello,

I am new to this forum ( or any forum ) and I have a Thai wife from the Isaan. Next year I will be going to upcountry to visit her nine brothers and sisters and ageing parents. My wife comes from the Khaen sub-district of Wapeepathum.

The reason that I have joined this forum is to ask those of you that live there or have visited the area for some or any information on what I can expect.

For me, the thing that worries me the most is the food as I can not eat isaan food for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day and the insects don`t turn me on at all. Is it possible to get farang food. As far as accommodation goes what is the best and the worst place to stay. Can I get a taxi or another form of transport to her village and back without relying on her family. In fact any information would be greatly appreciated.

In reality, my wife will probably organize many things for me but better to be prepared.

Thanks for any input.

Ok first thier is going to be a party and you are going to pay for it, it's Ok it won't be that much. You will be displayed and looked at like you never have been before. You will be big news in the village not a big deal, just normal don't let it bother you.

Try to find the largest major city around the area and you can find farrang food.

Finding transportation that is available on a constant basis in the villages is almost impossible, try yo find a driver who speaks english and rent him and his care a day at a time. he will probably be able to tell you a lot more about what is going on, then your wife she is going to be visiting.

You are more then likely get hit up for money and more then likely your wife is going to ask you to give money to the family. Don't get upset it is just the way it is. You will be looked at as millionare and here by thier standards you are. Just knwo your limits before you start and stay with them.

More then likely your wife is going to really want to spend a lot of time with her family, more then likely you will not. Let her have a few days with the family by herself. Use your driver to explore a bit on your own, that could turn out to be a lot of fun depending on what you want to do.

I can't stress this enough get a driver who speaks english, he will know where the other foriegners hang out it will only take a fwe days before you will really want a converation in English.

Assuming that this is your vacation a well, plan to entertain yourself so you can have fun as well. The family would more then likey try to everything they can do to make your visit a happy one, but more then likely they have no idea how to do that for you. There lives are much different then yours.

If I were you I would ask your wife what is the biggest town within a 50 Kms of the village, then do a posting here to get recommendations for hotels Ect. in that area. You will probably make a few friends to meet up with before you get here. They will have lots of interesting tales about living here, it will be fun.

That is one of the best things I have seen written. I have been going to my wifes home for years and I to have learned that they do truley want to make you happy. I to set money limits and have stuck with them and all are happy. I now really enjoy the visits.

My son who is 27 recently went to my wifes village and took his wife from the states and had a thai wedding at my mother in laws home. It was a total hoot. My sons wife had a bit of culture shock but got over it and now she wants to go back also.

If you try a bit to fit in and accept folks for what they are you will go a long way in your wifes village or any where in the world for that matter.

Relax, chill out and have fun. If food is your big thing take a can of spam.

I suggest you hire a car - especially as the family is in a village, otherwise you will be totally reliant on them (do they have a car?).

Western food is unlikely to be available in the family house, you will have to supply it.

Does the family have furniture - you may get there to find no beds or any comforts. Do they have a toilet/shower, etc? Take your own toilet tissue, a torch and Swiss army knife.

Be prepared to go elsewhere, perhaps Khon Kaen, and stay in a good hotel after a few days.

Hi! I live in my wife's village - never had a problem! Excellent life and great folks! We live approx. 100km from you in Buriram. If you are desperate for Western food then worth visiting Buriram City (Bulamduan Road) where there is an excellent shop called 'European Foodstore' - you can buy anything from pork pies to mushy peas to marmite, bovril, smoked back bacon. They also do great Mexican/German/Italian food lines and import direct therefore having a huge selection. Oh Yeah - they also sell a lot of foreign beers including Tetleys, Guinness, Peroni, Budweiser, Fosters, Strongbow Cider etc etc etc. The owner of European Foodstore is also opening a bar/restaurant right next door: 'Woodstock & Vine Blues Rock Cafe' in about one month! I should know - she's my missus! Don't forget 'Farang Connection' in Surin who also sell foreign foods and have a great restaurant. Martin, the owner, is a great guy for local info. / car hire etc.

Hope you have a great time visiting your inlaws! Remember that these older folks in Isaan are really special - the last of a dying breed who work like stink for a few baht for their bags of rice. The last of the folks who truly have 'Isaan skills' ie they can live off the land and know what every plant can provide them with. I often spend a day knocking about with my Father-in-Law because I see him as really being 'a man'. He's 5' 6" of skin and bone but he's the hardest grafter I've ever worked with and such a technically minded man - there is nothing he can't do - survival-wise and he never throws his hands in the air and gives up on anything. This older generation are so undervalued in Thailand and it's a shame because all they ever did was work against ridiculous odds to accumulate more land for their kids. They are also usually on the side of right and I'll bet if you ever have a conflict of interest with anyone in the village, your inlaws will be on your side if they believe you are right. It wouldn't be that way in so many other places - the foreigner would just get the blame. They will definitely get on your wick from time to time during your stay - but be tolerant and nice - try to get to know them. I'm glad I did because when I get p****d off with life, I don't drink 20 beer chang, I go sit with the inlaws in their little village shop - they're always there and I'm always welcome and I always get free cans of Birdy (Iced coffee). Anybody from the West can learn a few things from the old village folk about patience and acceptance and I hope you see it that way when you visit. They are absolutely magic folk and I'll forgive 'em the odd whisky because despite a tough tough life at the bottom of the food chain, most of them are well-rounded, peaceful and kind!

I think the great posts above describe Isaan very well.

Mahasarakham is a very quiet place. There is a great restaurant near you called Cabages and Condoms which serves some western food. There is a Pizza Hut in town.

You didn't say how long you were going to stay for?

If you stay for a while, you might get a bit of culture shock and need a foreigner to speak to. I haven't seen many around there. There is a great swimming pool and gym that I found in town. I met one foreigner there.

I go there once a week and if want to meet up, please feel free to PM me.

I love the people there.

I presume you don't speak Thai, which is essential in some parts.

Make sure your wife is with you, or someone who speaks Thai and English.

Good Luck

Toddy you are right on. I now have seen two letters on Issan that I admire. The only hting I can add is that I think you two guys could live anywhere as you want to experiance life to the fullest and that is the fullest as you can.

I hope to join you guys as soon as I sell my house. It is on the market and then I move. Am trying to decide if I want to be in Issan or Chiang Rai. Will visit bith. Already spent a lot of time in Issan at Ban Paeng, NKP and Udon. Any helpful tips would be appreciated. If you want you can Email them to me.

Thanks.

Hope you have a great time visiting your inlaws! Remember that these older folks in Isaan are really special - the last of a dying breed who work like stink for a few baht for their bags of rice. The last of the folks who truly have 'Isaan skills' ie they can live off the land and know what every plant can provide them with. I often spend a day knocking about with my Father-in-Law because I see him as really being 'a man'. He's 5' 6" of skin and bone but he's the hardest grafter I've ever worked with and such a technically minded man - there is nothing he can't do - survival-wise and he never throws his hands in the air and gives up on anything. This older generation are so undervalued in Thailand and it's a shame because all they ever did was work against ridiculous odds to accumulate more land for their kids. They are also usually on the side of right and I'll bet if you ever have a conflict of interest with anyone in the village, your inlaws will be on your side if they believe you are right. It wouldn't be that way in so many other places - the foreigner would just get the blame. They will definitely get on your wick from time to time during your stay - but be tolerant and nice - try to get to know them. I'm glad I did because when I get p****d off with life, I don't drink 20 beer chang, I go sit with the inlaws in their little village shop - they're always there and I'm always welcome and I always get free cans of Birdy (Iced coffee). Anybody from the West can learn a few things from the old village folk about patience and acceptance and I hope you see it that way when you visit. They are absolutely magic folk and I'll forgive 'em the odd whisky because despite a tough tough life at the bottom of the food chain, most of them are well-rounded, peaceful and kind!

Too true, my brother-in-law is the same, fixes his motorbike, rice thresher, built his own house, pavilion, etc, catches his own breakfast and lunch everyday, fish,eels, frogs, birds.I'm sure he's never been in a 7-11 in his life.

Thankyou to everyone for the great scripts. The posts have been more help than I could ever have hoped for. You know, there are a lot of people out here on the fringe ( so to speak ) that maybe have a connection with Thailand by way of marriage or family.Thai Visa is a great source of information but sometimes can be a little intimidating for the newbie to be that would just love to ask a few questions. Maybe some of them are reading this now and I would encourage them to register.

There is something that really intrigues me about the farang that live in the Isaan and other reasonably isolated parts of Thailand, and that thing is just why.

There are probably a lot of people reading these forums with the intention of living in Thailand, I could easily be one of them, but the fear factor may weigh heavily upon their shoulders, if you know what I mean.

If you don`t mind broadcasting it across the whole world, I and a lot of others would just love to now why.

Thankyou to everybody again and please keep the info coming.

all the best.

I will lead off on your question of why. First let me state that I am not there yet as stated above. I will be there as soon as house sells.

My wife (Thai) and I after much thought are making the move. For me it is a retirement thing. YOu will have to do quite a bit of soul searching before you make the move. If your point of moving to Thailand is to drink beer and chase women you will bored soon and then you will just sit around the beer joint and gossip. If that is your thing so be it.

If money was the only consideration I should have moved here a long time ago. Cost of living so much better than in the states.

I am not chucking it all and saying Thailand here I come. I am planning a 2 year sabatical to see how things go. We have two kids (27 and 30) here in the states. Will we miss them more than we will like? Will they really come visit as they said? Will we keep our promise to visit them once a year?

I have been challenged to get myself in shape and walk a marathon by my sister. If you could see me you would laugh at that thought. I am going to do it. Leaving the pressure and fully getting fully retired (still working until I Leave) seems like a good thing. I want to work myself to get off meds and really do this for myself.

As you can see there are quite a few things out there for me.

One thing I did see is that you said Thailand is remote. The only remote place is in the mind. I have never felt remote there.

ONe thing you will find out after your trip and I do mean after, is wether you like it or not. You will go home and if there is something missing it will be Thailand. Sounds corny but I feel good when I am there. The people, culture and feelings are all to be experienced while there. As the folks above told you enjoy all you will see.

Hi Vegemite!

I am living in Wapipathum town since Sept 2003. Your area is not far from here, but I have never been there, only seen the road leading into it.

People here have told me, there are not many people in "Khaen" area. More like countryside with small rice-fields and villages.

Since I arrived, I have never eaten western food and never looked for it.

I think thai food is excellent. If You want something special, I think You have to cook yourself.

Maybe Your wife can make omelet, boiled rice, fish and such stuff without chili for You.

I have never seen a taxi- car in the Province, only Tuk- Tuk.

There are not too many farangs here. According to the Tax Authorities in Mahasarakham I was the only farang living in the Province last year.

Personally I has not yet seen any farang- tourist in the Wapipathum District. But three years ago people have told me, a couple of norwegians were seen at the market nearby. They were lost!

I settled here at the age of 62 from a nordic country. The reason was, that my wife is born here and has her relatives around. For me no problem. I have been a soldier all my life and do not need much.

I have a very good life here.

Kindest regards,

Olaus

Hi Vegemite!

I am living in Wapipathum town since Sept 2003. Your area is not far from here, but I have never been there, only seen the road leading into it.

People here have told me, there are not many people in "Khaen" area. More like countryside with small rice-fields and villages.

Since I arrived, I have never eaten western food and never looked for it.

I think thai food is excellent. If You want something special, I think You have to cook yourself.

Maybe Your wife can make omelet, boiled rice, fish and such stuff without chili for You.

I have never seen a taxi- car in the Province, only Tuk- Tuk.

There are not too many farangs here. According to the Tax Authorities in Mahasarakham I was the only farang living in the Province last year.

Boy that doesn't sound like a bad area at all, the less farrangs the better things seem to be, a fwe fro conversation and activity does help though, what large city is near I would like to look the area up on the map.

Personally I has not yet seen any farang- tourist in the Wapipathum District. But three years ago people have told me, a couple of norwegians were seen at the market nearby. They were lost!

I settled here at the age of 62 from a nordic country. The reason was, that my wife is born here and has her relatives around. For me no problem. I have been a soldier all my life and do not need much.

I have a very good life here.

Kindest regards,

Olaus

ONe thing you will find out after your trip and I do mean after, is wether you like it or not.  You will go home and if there is something missing it will be Thailand.  Sounds corny but I feel good when I am there.  The people, culture and feelings are all to be experienced while there.  As the folks above told you enjoy all you will see.

Couldn't agree more!. I went back for a visit to Isaan last year and going back is just about all I think about now. Unfortunately, I'm about 4 years from retirement so I'll have to keep dreaming about getting there to live.

I think the great posts above describe Isaan very well.

Mahasarakham is a very quiet place. There is a great restaurant near you called Cabages and Condoms which serves some western food. There is a Pizza Hut in town.

You didn't say how long you were going to stay for?

If you stay for a while, you might get a bit of culture shock and need a foreigner to speak to. I haven't seen many around there. There is a great swimming pool and gym that I found in town. I met one foreigner there.

I go there once a week and if want to meet up, please feel free to PM me.

I love the people there.

I presume you don't speak Thai, which is essential in some parts.

Make sure your wife is with you, or someone who speaks Thai and English.

Good Luck

Very sorry but I am having a bit of trouble responding to posts.

To Neeranam,

thankyou for your info. I have the names of some hotels do you know them or can you tell me how to get info on them.

Here they are:

Taksila

Vasu ( Wasu ) Sisawatdamneon rd.

Phattana " "

Mahsarakham Mahachaidamri rd.

Sunthon Worabut rd

Samakkhi Worabut rd..

If the family like you they will probably want to give you a gift.

They do not have any money to buy you one so will have to give you something special.

A plot of land would be a good idea.

You can spend all your hard earned cash building a house, and then regret it for the rest of your life when the family claim it back.

You have been warned. Up to you now.

You obviously have a sad story to tell.

Please share it with me.

You know you hear many sad stories here, they should not effect a vacation, if think in terms of living here. Then get ready for University Water buffalo University, tuition can be very high , hopefully you won't have to repeat semsters.

I think the current in power political party name should give you a gentle hint. Thia Rak Thia (thia love thia) Never look for anything free here any more then you would at home. There is plenty of time to see the mistakes others have made, if it gets to wanting to live here.

Some things are very hard to understand about this society compared to what we have in the states. Here it is a rare occassion for your wife to side with you, just the way it is.

So in this scenario of the house as long a things go well and you want to live in the house, no problem. Things don't go well, it belongs to the family. Even if it was transfered to you wifes name, it would be rare for her to protect your financial interest at the expense of her famliy, even if it harms her.

There are reasons for this, these girls are raised to care for thier parents in later years and that extends to brothers sisters ect. The system works well for them, the middle group our current generation is the financially productive group, so they work, the grand parents take care of the children so the current group can earn. When your children grow up they are expected to do the same. Probably at one time it was similar in our neck of the woods. Families were not so far flung as they are now as little as 50 years ago.

Remember there is very little public assistance here and what they do works for them, the parents don't end up in a nursing home they stay with the family. When it come to family this is not a throw away society.

Is this always a good thing not in my eyes, but it's not for me to judge only to try to understand. Why do girls end up working the bars here, to care for the family in most cases. Unlike other places they are not druggies many of them don't even drink. They live 4 to 6 in a room and send the money home to mama and papa. This happens a lot in Issan, things can be very difficult here for low wage earners.

So what strengthens the family or harms it does so for generations. Would the famliy care for you as a member I don't know but I think they would to the best of thier ability if you had been loyal to them

I assume you know about the dowrey system, it is completly ridicules now, but in the beginning it was a very good logical idea. At first it was not about money, it was about chickens, pigs. To this day it is assumed the new husband will move in with the brides family, well that is one more mouth to feed.

It has turned into usery these days not only for us, but the Thias as well, hundreds of thousands of baht has nothing to do with feeding the new hubby. Lots has to do wiht pride now (saving face) placing a value on the girl and having that passed down as pride to the family.

There is much to learn here and to find your way, but none of this should effect a vacation. sit your limits before you come don't change them. You will have a experince here very different then at home.

Have you seen your wife climb a tree for a fruit ? You may very well see it here

Have you seen your wife take five showers a day at home, you may here.

Have you seen your wife sit down with seven other people eating out of the same dish with thier hands? you may here.

More then likely you will find out that in that village your wife can do well, where you would have a heck of a time.

You have a great opportunity to understand more about your wife, I'm sure she does things that really confuse your from time to time. See what she knows in life that you have no experince at.

Enjoy yourself have fun, you will have a trip you will never forget.

I just hope you don't get the plague like most of us who came here did, Thailand gets in your blood and never lets go. The hardest thing about my trips to Thailand was leaving I had never felt that way about anywhere I had been before.

There are many sad tales about foreigners coming here and losing all they had to only have to leave again with nothing, that is very real. I can honestly say that any bad things that happened to me here I did to myself. If you want to give all you have to a Thia he will take it, could you blame him?

The true beauty of being here is that you really have freedom of choice here, think about this if you could make your life anyway you wanted it, what would you do? That is the hardest decesion to make because unless your complety over the wall in that choice you can have it here.

I get up each morning in what I decided that I wanted my life to be and built with very little money in three years. What I choose to do each day is completley up to me. I very seldom have plans any longer, I just do what I feel like doing.

Never had those options in my life before. Do I make mistakes and do I pay for them, Yep sure do. But I can survive them and I learn a little more each time.

Never let anything frighten you here, only those things that you let happen to you or cause to happen will happen a a general rule.

You've already tapped into a great learning source, with this forum you will see many different views in the approach and it will be your decesion as to what you are going to do.

What a great way to live, enjoy that vacation if have an open mind it is going to be a very special experience in your life.

I like you Ray .

Great post .

Well thanks that was very kind of you!

Thoughts for our vactioner, I had some great Burrito's for dinner tonight so it can be done LOL

True , it can be done but at a price . Farang food does cost more . Also look to see if its old . I tried some " Thai / german Co. " ham in the pkg. and was sick for two weeks .... but I did lose weight . Now for the most part I stick with what my wife's cooking , as long as its not moving :o