Toyota Vigo And Sharp Turns?

pianoman

Front engined cars have increased spring rates(suspension) for the added weight of an engine. Not tyre pressures.

As katabeachbum said, car manufacturers do spend some time working this out, they don't just sell vehicles and expect you to figure it out /ruin it yourself.

Wrong, of course suspension is stiffer in the front for the extra load but tell me why a Subaru 2lt 4wheel drive has 34psi front and 30 psi rear, and my mothers wee nissan had 33 front 30 rear and loads of front wheel "front heavy" cars have different pressures.

My trucks feel and handling are through my experiments to create something l am happy with, my Drag Race car ran 40 front and 10 rear, yes 10 for rear to achieve what l wanted in my straight line quest for more speed in less time, and did so for 20 odd years. l am not telling you or mr and mrs average driver what to do, thats for Toyota, just saying what has made my ride better for me.

The Suabru and the Nissan you mention have these recommended tyre preassures because years and kms of testing by the manufactorer has concluded this is the optimal pressures for these vehicles.

Your recomondation to reduce tyre squeal by incresing tyre pressure 20% on one axle (front wheels) is dangerous and alters the trucks dynamics very much. It also wears out the tyres quickly.

Driving in deep snow or sand we often reduce tyre pressure with 60-90%. Very unsafe on normal roads

Front engined cars have increased spring rates(suspension) for the added weight of an engine. Not tyre pressures.

As katabeachbum said, car manufacturers do spend some time working this out, they don't just sell vehicles and expect you to figure it out /ruin it yourself.

Wrong, of course suspension is stiffer in the front for the extra load but tell me why a Subaru 2lt 4wheel drive has 34psi front and 30 psi rear, and my mothers wee nissan had 33 front 30 rear and loads of front wheel "front heavy" cars have different pressures.

My trucks feel and handling are through my experiments to create something l am happy with, my Drag Race car ran 40 front and 10 rear, yes 10 for rear to achieve what l wanted in my straight line quest for more speed in less time, and did so for 20 odd years. l am not telling you or mr and mrs average driver what to do, thats for Toyota, just saying what has made my ride better for me.

The Suabru and the Nissan you mention have these recommended tyre preassures because years and kms of testing by the manufactorer has concluded this is the optimal pressures for these vehicles.

Your recomondation to reduce tyre squeal by incresing tyre pressure 20% on one axle (front wheels) is dangerous and alters the trucks dynamics very much. It also wears out the tyres quickly.

Driving in deep snow or sand we often reduce tyre pressure with 60-90%. Very unsafe on normal roads

My comment was not to reduce tyre squeal by increasing tyre pressure, it was to comment on making my truck feel better for ME, and believe me l have put it through its paces as an ex-professional driver. My answer to the last reply who said, pressures are the same all round on all cars which is bo__ocks, my V6 Volvo estate had different pressures if had 5 people and luggage, they did not say take it to your local Volvo dealer and change the suspension. The extra weight compresses the tyre, and l think the extra weight of the auto box and 4x4 mechanicals makes the difference to the feel of the truck. l haven't looked but does a Pre-runner manual trans, which has far less weight on the front to a 4x4 auto, have the same 29psi in the front, if so l have made my point.

150 kg extra on front wheels from 4x4 doesnt need extra tyre pressure over the prerunner. Tested by Toyota for years and millions of kms.

Volvo V6 estate? Stopped making them in 1990 i believe. Volvo estate can carry much weight compared to its own weight, and most of it on the rearwheels. Still runs on ordinary passanger car tyres, so of course needs to adjust tyre pressure according to load to keep cars handling acceptable.