Walking Street Paintings

coolxten

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the price range I should expect to pay for paintings (re-productions) available on walking street or any other place in Chiang mai (please let me know). I would like to get maybe 5 or 6 of them to take back home (North America). Medium to large sizes.

I was thinking I would get them unframed, roll them up, put them in a tube and then frame them when I get home. I've never seen any of the paintings up close, does this sound possible or flawed? eg. will rolling up the painting damage it? is there a better way to get them home?

The reason I ask is I'm able to purchase some art that's available to me now in my home country, but if there is great selection in chiang mai I would rather wait, take my chances and do the above.

Thanks

Rolling a painting is really only a last resort if you cant find an alternative way. If the paint is impasto (thickly applied) it will most likely crack and crumble (less so with acrylics, but still can irreversibly distort the original look and effect)..so its really best not to roll this kind of painting ever. Here is a link that will help you: http://painting.about.com/od/paintingforbe...ling_canvas.htm

Personally I recommend removing the canvas from the frame and leaving it flat. (leave the original border so it can be re-stretched). Placing the canvases in a strong flat case or box within your suitcase would be better than rolling them up. I would also recommend lining each of them with acid free tissue to place particularly if you are storing them for any length of time, and/or if they may be in a humid environment. Make sure the canvases cannot move around. Pack with layers of bubble wrap and/or cardboard sheets if this helps (but between pieces of acid free tissue..if you can get it).

When it comes to restretching the canvases...if you have never done this before, i recommend finding someone who knows what they are doing. Canvases when restretched incorrectly can pucker, warp and cause the paint to crack. It may not even happen instantly, but the pressure will eventually damage your painting.

Hope that helps a bit.

Not sure about the airline. Im guessing that you are going for rather large paintings then? Would be worthwhile talking to the airline to ask them how they handle this kind of thing.

Must say it makes a refreshing change to get such a helpful, knowledgeable and interesting answer here on TV--my faith has been somewhat restored in the power of the forum--way to go Eek!

It is also a subject that has interested me since buying a super painting by a disabled painter in Nakorn Pathom and ruining it by rolling it for transport--duhh! Now I know better, should I buy any more.

wow eek, thatks a lot for the info. I didn't think to much about it.

With an art case, do you think I'll have trouble getting it through the airport? I would have to have it as a carry on, but it's not the dimensions I think they allow.

Sorry to interrupt but transporting freshly painted paintings (not still wet of course), whether painted in oil or acrylic is no problem at all when rolled. Oil paintings take a longer period to dry than acrylic which is dry overnight. Especial in the rainy season an oil painting may take quite a bit of time to dry.

I know, and I'm talking out of experience; I have been in that business with many highly educated and qualified art-painters (the top) in the Far East and there is no other way for transport over large distances than to roll them, especially if you're talking large to very large paintings; even larger than man-size...

Packing them flat could be done for one (or a few) small paintings but personally, I wouldn't do it flat-packed; if one has no experience it's easy to damage the painting's surface when traveling.

Best thing to do us to roll them and transport them in telescope-like expandable plastic tubes, like with these:

http://www.sinofirst.com/?p=36&a=view&c=32&r=47

I'm sure you can get those in Bangkok in a shop selling stuff for art-painters or where architects buy their stuff. You can easily roll 3 or 4 paintings in one tube.

Larger paintings are rolled (the painted surface always covered with special smooth thin paper; rolled inwards!) and packed/rolled in bubble plastic and then packed in a carton tube and sometimes even plastic tubes (like used in construction).

Only in the case of very valuable paintings (masters), paintings are very carefully packed in special flat climatized boxes. Usually one painting per box. This is done by special art movers.

Re-stretching: no problem for a skilled guy; the main trick is that the canvas shouldn't be cut too short from the actual painted surface. If you want to have the painting re-stretched, have it done by a professional frame dealer in your own area; they have the people who can do it.

Good luck.

edit:

Why don't you buy a good reproduction from the net ? The quality, offered on Walking Street isn't really the best in the world but some web companies offer good quality at reasonable prices; also: you can choose what YOU want or have something reproduced.

Have a look:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...qi=&start=0

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

As you have been in business for a long time doing this LaoPo, im sure you must know very well. I dont dispute that. But the advice i gave was advice given by tutors on my Fine Art Degree. Then, when i was employed as an Events coordinator and Art tutor in a gallery outside London, I recall this being pretty much the same advice the Gallery Curator would give.

However, I have personally always transported my own paintings complete with the canvas, and this was the case with most of the work that came into the gallery. I have also no experience of posting internationally over long distances, so its good to read anothers advice on that.

I do personally cringe at the thought of rolling canvases however. Personally i believe it should only be as a last resort or if a painting is far too large to be transported flat. If i needed to transport a painting without the canvas frame, i personally would do so flat within its own secure container, so long as it was a manageable size.

Anyway.. interesting to read a different view on it.

Edited by eek

Further to the idea of removing the frames and lying the paintings flat.

Several years back I was in Shanghai for a few days and spotted about 10 pictures that I couldn't resist, all from a student's gallery and If I remember correctly they were all about US$5- to US$10-. I deliberately picked pieces that would be at least a little smaller than a very big suitcase.

Then I went to Carrefour and bought a very very large suitcase, strong but quite cheap, forget the actual price but I guess about US$10-.

I had the hotel pack the flat artworks into a box they quickly manufactured from old cardboard boxes and very luckily I found some tissue paper to lay between the pictures. This box went into the bottom of the big new suitcase then my much smaller and quite lighweight normal suitcase on top of the box, then clothes etc., packed around the smaller suitcase. All up it was still well under the weight limit.

Yes I did take the risk of the suitcase getting lost, but it didn't, and the pictures were in excellent condition. Total cost for transport back home to Bangkok, about US$12- for the suitcase plus I guess US$10- to the hotel bell staff for their excellent packing work - total US$22-. In my book, a bargain.

As you have been in business for a long time doing this LaoPo, im sure you must know very well. I dont dispute that. But the advice i gave was advice given by tutors on my Fine Art Degree. Then, when i was employed as an Events coordinator and Art tutor in a gallery outside London, I recall this being pretty much the same advice the Gallery Curator would give.

However, I have personally always transported my own paintings complete with the canvas, and this was the case with most of the work that came into the gallery. I have also no experience of posting internationally over long distances, so its good to read anothers advice on that.

I do personally cringe at the thought of rolling canvases however. Personally i believe it should only be as a last resort or if a painting is far too large to be transported flat. If i needed to transport a painting without the canvas frame, i personally would do so flat within its own secure container, so long as it was a manageable size.

Anyway.. interesting to read a different view on it.

Whilst Laopo is usually 100% correct--I can only go on what happened in my case--the painting I referred to was definitely 'impasto'--probably paint applied with brush and palette knife/spatula type thing and, when unrolled, some of the chunks/flakes had become detached and were inside the packing--not an experience I wish to repeat.

The last 3 posters, Eek - Scorecard and Haybilly are all three correct in their own way and experience. I fully understand Eek that she would never send her painting(s) rolled and Scoregard's experience is also understandable, as is Haybilly's.

I was merely explaining my own experience and the shipping system that the Asian commercial galleries and reproduction ateliers use: they ship them rolled!

Packing the paintings flat, in whatever way and system, and than have them shipped (by air) is a rather expensive solution if one ships paintings from the Far East to the US or Europe.

It all depends:

1. on the buying price

2. the number of paintings one has to ship

3. the size and

4. in some cases, as Haybilly described, the painting style; if a lot of paint is used with brushes and/or knife/spatula it could be difficult to ship them rolled.

BUT, this kind of paintings need a LONG time to paint (in oil) and layer after layer of paint will have to dry on top of the other layer, which is very time consuming both in painting and drying (especially in a wet climate like Thailand). Not commercially interesting for the galleries/reproducers.

LaoPo

Just one thing i forgot to say, is that make sure the painting is completely dry if using tissue on the surface. Or, as LaoPo pointed out a special paper (i imagine you mean a wax coated paper LaoPo? Maybe baking paper could work as an alternative? :) ).

Regarding rolling canvases, if anyone does decide to do that, ive always been warned to roll the painting outwards, not inwards, as inwards can cause wrinkling and damage to the surface. Hah, this is a difficult topic! :D

Edit: we posted at the same time LaoPo! In regards to your last post, i also can totally see your point on that shipping method. I think there are many factors to consider, such as type of painting and cost of transport, as well as the value of the work itself. I dont think there are any wrong answers here, it just depends on what is most convenient and/or cost effective, and how much value each person places on the work they have bought.

Edited by eek

Just one thing i forgot to say, is that make sure the painting is completely dry if using tissue on the surface. Or, as LaoPo pointed out a special paper (i imagine you mean a wax coated paper LaoPo? Maybe baking paper could work as an alternative? :) ).

Regarding rolling canvases, if anyone does decide to do that, ive always been warned to roll the painting outwards, not inwards, as inwards can cause wrinkling and damage to the surface. Hah, this is a difficult topic! :D

Edit: we posted at the same time LaoPo! In regards to your last post, i also can totally see your point on that shipping method. I think there are many factors to consider, such as type of painting and cost of transport, as well as the value of the work itself. I dont think there are any wrong answers here, it just depends on what is most convenient and/or cost effective, and how much value each person places on the work they have bought.

1. yes, a kind of thin wax coated (baking paper if you wish) is mostly used.

2. Here is the contradiction; as far as my experience goes, ALL paintings were/are still rolled and shipped inwards...not outwards. The outward way of rolling will cause damage much easier than the inwards way, especially during the packing ! Sometimes there are indeed some minor wrinkles in the fresh paintings but after proper and good stretching those wrinkles are gone or will be gone after an extra layer of varnish; problem solved!

If you roll and pack the painting outwards, how do you protect the painted surface ? :D If one unpacks that (outward rolled) painting and drops it by accident ...or bumps it against a table you have a problem.

Cheers

LaoPo

Thanks for the discussion.

I think I might go with the suit case idea. I'll try to limit myself to smaller paintings.

I was also thinking about printing some of the photos I take on to canvas, does anyone know if this is more affordable to do in Thailand vs North America? Does anyone know of a good place in Chiang Mai? Any opinions?

Edit: Wanted to add that I would consider printing in Thailand and then getting it framed back home.

Edited by coolxten

Why not just ask in the shop selling the paintings, I'm sure they get requests to ship paintings and do this all the time. They should have the tubes and all other packing material required and also know by what means the shipping should be done.

To be honest ZZZ, im not sure i would trust the opinion of every shop that sells paintings here (or even some shops in the west!), depends if its a knowledgeable Art dealer or not. But as the OP wishes to buy from Walking Street, its a different set of circumstances. Not all Artists and sellers of Art are well informed about how best to Internationally transport their own work.

1. yes, a kind of thin wax coated (baking paper if you wish) is mostly used.

2. Here is the contradiction; as far as my experience goes, ALL paintings were/are still rolled and shipped inwards...not outwards. The outward way of rolling will cause damage much easier than the inwards way, especially during the packing ! Sometimes there are indeed some minor wrinkles in the fresh paintings but after proper and good stretching those wrinkles are gone or will be gone after an extra layer of varnish; problem solved!

If you roll and pack the painting outwards, how do you protect the painted surface ? :D If one unpacks that (outward rolled) painting and drops it by accident ...or bumps it against a table you have a problem.

Cheers

LaoPo

I forgot to mention that many paintings were also sent with a thin plastic foil covering the painted canvas/surface. Never had problems.

LaoPo