Five Wounded In Bomb Attack During Yellow Shirt Rally

webfact

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is being reported that the police have said the explosion was caused by an M79 grenade.

An M79 grenade fired into a crowd would do significantly more than injure five people, it would also make more than an 8cm hole in the ground.

12 are reported

So we have it seems someone caught at the scene who supposedly lobbed a giant fircracker or person(s) unknown launching an M79 grenade from over 300M away.

It seems posters doubt the M79 story.

Edited to add: lets hope we arent going to hear the guy caught has mysteriously disappeared from custody;)

Edited by hammered

If it looks like a redshirt, swims like a redshirt and quacks like a redshirt, then it probably is a redshirt.

Or a red herring.

Are they mutually exclusive? So which group had the MOTIVATION to do this, do you reckon? BTW, the specific timing of the attack occurred during an anti-Thaksin diatribe. Coincidence? Possible, but not bloody likely, eh?

Edited by Jingthing

It is being reported that the police have said the explosion was caused by an M79 grenade.

An M79 grenade fired into a crowd would do significantly more than injure five people, it would also make more than an 8cm hole in the ground.

12 people are reported injured. The M79 has a wide variety of ammunation that can be used including explosive, close-range, and

non-lethal crowd control.

It's highly possible that any of the lesser grenades are capable of this sort of injury tally and leave that sort of impact in concrete.

It is reported that it was fired from 350m away and police were looking at the trajectory. Would that narrow down the ammo choice? It sure doesnt sound like close range. Im sure there are posters on here who have used this weapon and could explain to us mere mortals the likely round that could travel that distance on a trajectory explode and make the impact mark in the picture and also explain the level of injury.

If it looks like a redshirt, swims like a redshirt and quacks like a redshirt, then it probably is a redshirt.

Or a red herring.

Are they mutually exclusive? So which group had the MOTIVATION to do this, do you reckon?

Which group had the MOTIVATION to attempt to kill Sonthi, do you reckon?

Which group had the MOTIVATION to go fight with the Red Shirts in Pattaya, do you reckon?

etc. I appreciate your eagerness to not wait for pesky little things like facts, but sometimes that's really best.

At this point it no longer matters who did it.   The yellow want civil war and did this to them self the reds are not going to take being made to look this bad with no hope of defence on the issue.   Its over there will be the confrontation Sondhi is bagging for and they can cancel his sentencing hearing on Wed.   Oh yes  the temple didn't blow up but this one did.    See you on the otherside of the pond this country is done.

Or a red herring.

Are they mutually exclusive? So which group had the MOTIVATION to do this, do you reckon?

Which group had the MOTIVATION to attempt to kill Sonthi, do you reckon?

Which group had the MOTIVATION to go fight with the Red Shirts in Pattaya, do you reckon?

etc. I appreciate your eagerness to not wait for pesky little things like facts, but sometimes that's really best.

It could also be that there are 2 different groups.

Sondhi has a lot enemies:

Thaksin the first to name but currently Thaksin targets Abhisit

Newin (blue shirt) with his 1000000 corruption cases

Some army strongly oppose Sondhi

With his new party he focus on the same voter than the Democrats, even it is not probable that the shoot grenade they are competitors at the next election.

I have my own opinions on what happened but there really isnt any point putting them up as they will based on nothing. I could also think of very plausible explanations for virtually any of the groups and factions currently playing the game having done this. However, we really dont know and depending on the favoured horse we knwo pretty much what theories everyone will support with their own plausible explanation which of course is plausibe in reality but is of course without evidence and of course doesnt take into account other equally plausible explanations that dont suit the persons political likings.

No political bombing in Thailand has ever been solved. However, the recipient of the bomb is almost always going to be well aware of who delivered it imho. After all there wouldnt be much point in doing it if the recipient didnt know what they were being warned about and who by excepting of course the few eh shall we say self bombings.

Be intersting to see how it unfolds but dont expect too much.

Thank you h90, excellent comments.

(Now there is something I never thought I'd say. :) )

BTW I also think it's good that they became a political party. The more people actively involved in politics, the better. (Better than the old dinosaur crowd).

Well I am not sure if it is a good idea to became a political party.

That are people from very left to very right who joined together to oust Thaksin, but that is all the have in common.

But what program do they want to do?

The very left liberals against hardcore buddhists like Chamlong?

Modern business owner against communists?

Not that I have seen any program at any of the other parties (beside the Democrats) but in my opinion that is domed to fail as soon as there is no enemy anymore.

I might be wrong..........

BTW I also think it's good that they became a political party. The more people actively involved in politics, the better. (Better than the old dinosaur crowd).

That are people from very left to very right who joined together to oust Thaksin, but that is all the have in common.

Not that I have seen any program at any of the other parties (beside the Democrats) but in my opinion that is domed to fail as soon as there is no enemy anymore.

Right.. but.. you have to look at current goals; it's fine to find agreement in opposing Thaksin while he was PM, or even while proxy parties were in power. Keeping that alliance together should not be a goal in itself; I think people should find like-minded others and push for the goals they want to achieve, i.e. positive goals going forward. Some may truly want a 70-30 type state where the votes of people with money and university degrees count more than farmer's votes. Others may not agree with that. I think it's only natural to re-align for specific goals. And at least they ARE ideological goals, it wouldn't be the old politics of "I vote for Mr. A because I live in a province controlled by Mr. A's clan, and he's buying the beer and his friends build the roads." No matter what the ideology, I too would really like to get away from those kind of politics that are about nothing but money and power.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am not very familiar with those, (or any grenade for that matter) but surely those do more damage than this?

DSC_0389.jpg

Grenades are anti-personnel weapons, not anti armor.

Nor for blowing up fortifications like stone walls.

They are meant to explode and fragment in many directions taking out whom ever is in the vicinity.

It is not a large high explosive like a block of C4 the size of the grenade itself,

that would certainly pulverize most of these pictured stones,

but a smaller charge intended, via pressure front, to explode the fragments outward

enough to nail human beings but not go through walls etc.

Right.. but.. you have to look at current goals; it's fine to find agreement in opposing Thaksin while he was PM, or even while proxy parties were in power. Keeping that alliance together should not be a goal in itself; I think people should find like-minded others and push for the goals they want to achieve, i.e. positive goals going forward. Some may truly want a 70-30 type state where the votes of people with money and university degrees count more than farmer's votes. Others may not agree with that. I think it's only natural to re-align for specific goals. And at least they ARE ideological goals, it wouldn't be the old politics of "I vote for Mr. A because I live in a province controlled by Mr. A's clan, and he's buying the beer and his friends build the roads." No matter what the ideology, I too would really like to get away from those kind of politics that are about nothing but money and power.

I fully agree and it would be very easy to get that. Just change the system to 100 % popular vote country wide, instead of 3 guys from every area. But that was even for the military junta too hot.

As long this system exists that what you describe will exist, just instead of Mr. A, Mr B from the other mafia will be in parliament.

It is a system problem.

That 70/30 idea was to fix that, but I can not see how it should help. The only way in my opinion is to forget about the areas.

Interesting point. the NPP may actually be the first party with an ideology, or maybe that should be the first party with an ideology that is bigger than the potential MPs or leader. That the first party where ideology seem preeminent over celebrity seems to have a rather extreme ideology isnt such a good thing but it is a start. It is also unlikely they will do well in elections imho.

Ok so PTP and Dems kind of have them but they are still mostly built on regional or local power brokers and in PTPs case maybe overshadowee by one very big celebrity. That could change over time and I fully expect both parties to be involved in the future of Thailand whether it be under current names or new ones. The rest of the parties from CT down Well quite frankly their only aim is to be in government and cut the best deals for themselves while parading around and expecting respect.

Anyway overall I agree with your points. Amazingly we are agreeing on a lot these days;)

Pallop denies involvement in bomb attack against PAD rally

Gen Pallop Pinmanee Monday denied that he was behind the bomb attack against the rally of People's Alliance for Democracy Sunday night.

Pallop, who once announced the PAD demonstrators would be attacked for seizing control of the Government House, said he was having dinner with a friend and had nothing to do with the attack.

An attacker lobbed a grenade to the area behind the PAD's rally stage, injuring over ten people.

"No matter what happened, I am always a prime suspect," Pallop said.

"I didn't do it … I want to see peace, not war, in the country."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I am going to guess your only perception of the M79 is from Hollywood movies.

I am going to guess your only perception of the M79 is from Hollywood movies.

Have to agree with TAWP here. When it comes to knowledge regarding explosives and grenades, the expertise is clearly in the PAD camp.

From the explosion photo, I'd say it's fired from a launcher, probably a M203, 350 meter range with 40mm grenade. Less impact damage in the open.

Forensic guy on Sor Wor Por radio reported this morning that the impact site is on the pavement about 80 meters behind the stage.

Not anyone can have his hands on the gear. Two possible groups have it. One is the war weapon marketeer. Another is those in uniforms or ex. But many would benefit from this type of disturban, including those who tried to get Sondhi Lim once before. Did anyone have a look at a nearby building and see if a window was opened? :)

From the explosion photo, I'd say it's fired from a launcher, probably a M203, 350 meter range with 40mm grenade. Less impact damage in the open.

Forensic guy on Sor Wor Por radio reported this morning that the impact site is on the pavement about 80 meters behind the stage.

Not anyone can have his hands on the gear. Two possible groups have it. One is the war weapon marketeer. Another is those in uniforms or ex. But many would benefit from this type of disturban, including those who tried to get Sondhi Lim once before. Did anyone have a look at a nearby building and see if a window was opened? :)

Well just about all sides have friends in uniform and one particular party has just had one of the most famous war weapon marketeers sign up.

gallery_327_1086_5379.jpg

Police probe finds grenade causes blast at PAD rally

BANGKOK, Nov 16 (TNA) – An M79 grenade caused a blast at the rally site of the Peoples' Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Sunday night, according to Lt- Gen. Worapong Chewpreecha, chief of Bangkok Metropolitan Police.

The grenade was fired from near Klong Lod canal apparently aimed at the back of the PAD stage at Sanam Luang. It is unclear as to whether the motive was to kill participants or merely to alarm, as the grenade did not fall within its destructive range in relation to the presumed target.

Such a grenade can cause the loss of life within a two-metre radius. The initial inspection of surveillance cameras and witnesses found no useful information leading to an attacker, Gen. Worapong said.

The police chief technical experts from the Scientific Crime Detection Division inspected the blast site to gather more evidence and to determine the shooting range.

Twelve people were injured in the blast, three of whom remain hospitalised. One, a 71-year-old man, remains in intensive care with severe injuries to his abdomen. He was operated last night. The remaining nine persons, who received minor injuries, were discharged from hospital.

PAD demonstrators rallied at Sanam Luang Sunday to express dissatisfaction with the recent visit of ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra to Cambodia and his appointment as economic advisor by Cambodia.

The PAD Yellow Shirts played a pivotal role in the movement to topple the Thaksin government, with protests leading to the military coup d'etat on September 19, 2006.

The movement later staged a series of street protests which toppled two successive governments which it accused of being Mr Thaksin's proxies. Their movement included seizure of Bangkok's airports and Government House last year. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/11/16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]