Giving Blood To The Thai Red Cross

MaxnMin

Yesterday about 2 pm I arrived to give blood with a Dutch friend for the little girl as I believe my blood type is O +ve.

We were refused

If the donor is 60 or over they will refuse.This is not the same as Europe.

If the donor has had sex with a person in the past 6 months other than their spouse they will refuse.What if the person is sexually active but single,I thought.I was told the reason being that the tests may not reveal all the things that might be passed on.This is rather disconcerting as they are saying their testing methods are not adequate.

There is a questionnaire to be filled in but I cant remember all the questions

Such a great, great pity that you by doing the right thing are refused. It would undoubtedly seem that Thai blood testing methods are inferior to other parts of the world. I only know about blood donation in Australia, and there, even if they do accept your blood it is thoroughly tested. Blood is blood, what on earth has the age of the donor got to do with it?

Also, some people, worried about a drunken night out, use the donation centre as a convenient AIDS testing facility.

Blood collection centres do the best they can, but there are limited funds (and time for some blood types) to test for every possible infection. Therefore the questionaires are designed to limit the risk balanced against the need for blood.

All very reasonable questions and precautions, HIV may not show up in blood tests for up to three months after you have been exposed to it, hence the questions about your sex life (I guess they assume that if you are married and only make love to your wife, she has not played around on you).

I think the point is, and I agree with the op to this extent, just how much if at all was the center testing the blood. Appearances aren't everything but it looked questionable of whether they were doing that, or at least thoroughly. When I chatted with another guy while there, that was what he was asking. After I finished giving, I jokingly asked the lady "so is my blood good?" she just said "yes, ok", low communication level. I don't know about the financing of blood centers but I think what the op is saying is that the facility should be capable of accepting a wider range of blood and handling it, not asking donors to essentially excuse themselves and be a major participant in the filtering process. The questions are fine and I happily checked the boxes, but I hope we're not shifting the blame to the donor. Anyhow this was my first time ever, so it's all new to me.

Also, some people, worried about a drunken night out, use the donation centre as a convenient AIDS testing facility.

Blood collection centres do the best they can, but there are limited funds (and time for some blood types) to test for every possible infection. Therefore the questionaires are designed to limit the risk balanced against the need for blood.

"It would undoubtedly seem that Thai blood testing methods are inferior to other parts of the world."

An extraordinary post. What proof do you have of that statement? Except for the express purpose of causing fear and uncertainty about the blood supply in Thailand, what was your purpose of posting this?

anyone know how long recovery time is after giving blood? yesterday after the hospital I went for a stroll and felt low energy like I would pass out if I went much longer. Today was even worse, after a 20 minute walk my lower legs were achey, I was really winded and hands were tingling, but I made it back to my room tonight ok. I am in my 30s and a walk-a-holic, wondering how long is normal before I can get back to usual active routine.

anyone know how long recovery time is after giving blood? yesterday after the hospital I went for a stroll and felt low energy like I would pass out if I went much longer. Today was even worse, after a 20 minute walk my lower legs were achey, I was really winded and hands were tingling, but I made it back to my room tonight ok. I am in my 30s and a walk-a-holic, wondering how long is normal before I can get back to usual active routine.

\\

:) If you feel that bad you might have been dehydrated,Drink some electrolye drinks and plenty of water. Feeling bad the next day could also indicate you are anemic.

LL

You should have a Hot sweet drink and maybe a biscuit before you leave the place were you give blood, or go and get a hot sweet drink some were, I have given 28 bags of blood over the years , I cannot give blood in the UK until i have been back from Asia for 14 weeks, I am A RH Positive. They not only need the blood they need the blood products, plasma ext ext .Your body needs about 14 weeks to replenish your blood properly, and it should only take a few hours after giving blood for you to feel on top form again.

israel also makes u wait for 6 months after being in asia; and the over 60 age limit is probably cause of the amount of meds that older people get; in israel there is also a weight limit (for underweight) and other limitations including if youve been tatooed, etc...

each country to their own...

bina

also, to the wobbly person, u sound dehydrated major time possibly slightly anemic also... as others have noted

israel also makes u wait for 6 months after being in asia; and the over 60 age limit is probably cause of the amount of meds that older people get; in israel there is also a weight limit (for underweight) and other limitations including if youve been tatooed, etc...

each country to their own...

bina

also, to the wobbly person, u sound dehydrated major time possibly slightly anemic also... as others have noted

Age is a facor in all tissue transfer my brother had many years on dialysis when I wanted to be donor told unsuitable

PS unless invaded Egypt again Israel is in Asia according to Thai map on my wall.I think waht they screen are STDs and sex tourists so SE Asia is high profie.