Visa Query

Would very much appreciate some visa advice from the experts...

I am currently residing in Thailand with an education visa, based on the fact that my kids were attending school in thailand. However, they have recently returned to the UK to go to school.

I would like to remain in thailand for say another 4-6 months and am wondering what my best options. I am a UK citizen, 47 yrs old.

I am considering:-

1) Leaving and entering thailand as a tourist every 30 days as I intend to explore the region anyway. My understanding from the thai website is that Uk citizens can get visa exemption for 30 days, but would they let me to this 6 times in succession? This would be my prefered option as I wouldnt have to go through the hassle of applying for visas and I am intending to travel anyway.

2) Applying for 60 day visas in eg. Singapore. Again, i would have to do this 3 times for 6 months (or twice if I extend each to 90 days), does it get difficult to repeat?

3) Applying to join a thai language course or thai culture course and applying for another 1 year education visa (this time with myself being the student!) but am not sure whether I would qualify given I already have had a one year education visa as a parent. BTW, I have maintained THB500k in a bank account over the past 3 months, as I know this is a requirement.

Many thanks in advance.

1. Works by air but only 15 days if by land. You can always change later and it allows free travel.

2. Actually one trip to Vientiane to obtain a two entry free tourist visa would last almost six months with 30 day extensions at 1,900 baht each. 60+28 exit/return 60+30.

3. Most schools do not offer a one year visa option - you leave/obtain a single entry for 90 days and then extend every 90 days.

1. Works by air but only 15 days if by land. You can always change later and it allows free travel.

2. Actually one trip to Vientiane to obtain a two entry free tourist visa would last almost six months with 30 day extensions at 1,900 baht each. 60+28 exit/return 60+30.

3. Most schools do not offer a one year visa option - you leave/obtain a single entry for 90 days and then extend every 90 days.

Is the option for 2 entry tourist visas open to holders of US passports?

The educational visa for yourself would not require you to have 500,000 K in the bank. That is only for the parent of a student, not the student self.

You can study what you want, as long as the educational institution is recognised.

But if you only want to stay a 4 to 6 months the best option is a duble entry tourist visa, with 2 extensions. The educational visa is handy if you want to stay longer.

Is the option for 2 entry tourist visas open to holders of US passports?

Yes it is, but you would need to be in Thailand at the right times to apply for extensions of stay/do border run in the middle to keep the visa alive. Not sure how your current travelling (work?) discussed in other thread fits into the picture. Note also that some people with several back to back tourist visas are currently getting red warning stamp at Vientiane, so this route may not be (longer term) solution for you.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

The travel is for sightseeing not work - after 20 years of airport - hotel - office - airport, I am taking some time out to see the real Asia.

I think I have to forget option 2 (double entry) and option 3 (education visa) as single entry visa's would preclude me travelling in and out of thailand.

Most likely my trips are going to be in and out of Suvarnabhumi. Are they likely to give a warning stamp after frequent entries there?

Thanks again.

No. And you can always use re-entry permits to keep a visa stay alive for short trips (but they cost 1,000 baht each).

Good point, thanks, though if I am going to travel at least once a month anyway, then probably less hassle just to use visa exemption.

BTW, if I enter Thailand by air on visa exemption, would I need to hold an exit air ticket when I enter? The Thai govt website doesnt mention this as a requirement.

Cheers

You need one, but immigration never check. They leave that to the airline who has to check. Some airlines do that, some don't. So you risk being denied boarding.

With low cost airlines within Asia that is however not very likely, with mayor airlines from Europe for instance it will be a real problem.