Bangkok Expressway Easy Pass Fails Test, Put On Hold

george

Expressway Easy Pass fails test, put on hold

BANGKOK: -- The adoption of a much-heralded electronic pass for motorists on expressways has been postponed to next year following the discovery of technical problems.

The Expressway Authority of Thailand said Monday the Easy Pass would be tested and reintroduced in the next two months.

In the meantime, the 50,000 registered motorists who have paid for Easy Pass permits will receive a discount for their renewal and for deposits on the electronic cards, once approval is given.

The test run began on October 20 and proved flawless until software-related glitches were detected over the weekend, said authority governor Thaweesin Rakkatanyoo.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of charging prepaid users, they should of had beta users for a period of 4 - 6 weeks to test the systems, but typical, they wanted money, but no return unless they re-enable the system.

They should of got a proper programmer in me, with over 20 years experience. Instead they probably been down kow san lane and hired a cheap one at 500 baht.

Instead of charging prepaid users, they should of had beta users for a period of 4 - 6 weeks to test the systems, but typical, they wanted money, but no return unless they re-enable the system.

They should of got a proper programmer in me, with over 20 years experience. Instead they probably been down kow san lane and hired a cheap one at 500 baht.

Apparently this upgrade costed them more than USD20m to implement.

T.I.T. Third world country... NAFC...

Yes Nothing EVER EVER goes wrong in developed countries! Give me a break.

Edited by minxwhale

in the meantime i will continue to take advantage of the booth with the red light on and no cars in line at din daeng :)

Just back from Singapore. Now they are exchanging their old e-link cards, so now it not only works on the MRT and busses but also on the ERP tollroad system, schoolchildren can purchase their schoollunch at schools with the new card and shopping in 7-Eleven. It would be nice if the Thai authorities could make a study on that.

Well, a similar system for electronic toll pay works flawless in Malaysia and has been doing so for a couple of years.

And I am not mentioning Singapore.

Why did they try to re-invent the wheel?

My Missus bought two Easy-Pass devices, even glued them to the wind screen. I didn't dare to warn her that maybe we should wait until at least we see some gates working. Well, honey, I hate to say that "I told you so!" :)

Bet my dollars on them using Microsoft...sigh...

About re-inventing the wheel...they do that in Holland all the time, can't blame Thailand for that.

As for Singapore being a bit further ahead...and even .... cough cough... Malaysia...cough...

It's all because Thailand doesn't have 3G yet....h

Edited by schuimpje

The Thais certainly don't have a monopoly on screwing up public projects. First world countries just screw up on a bigger scale.

My hero. That's why you hanging out on a Thai forum searching for jobs right? :)

Bit like the baggage handling cock up that f***ed up Heathrow a couple of years back, eh ? Hang on a sec . . . Britain's first world, isn't it ?

I think, they get some outside help already . To make such a system work really reliable is not an easy task. You can have a deadline but it´s not unusual to miss it in such cases.

Many times, they want to establish something very new, something what is never tested before . And this may create the problems.

In many parts, they (the "Thais") get something work very well. for example the family- registration , getting a passport ... .It´s all computerized . You get a passport within 2 days. No picture needed any more.

(in my home country you still need a paper-picture and they need about 4-6 weks to do it. And you have to pay nearly 300 % of the Thai prize.

I think many parts of the state owned administration is computerized already.

And one should never forget:

In my country they had a reliable administration about 200 years before (at least).

And so on..

Bet my dollars on them using Microsoft...sigh...

Give me your dollars. Not only is 'Microsoft' not a product but a company, they rarely do any contract-assignments as this one [or any of any kind anymore]. It is more in the line of IBM and many other large companies. However, knowing Thailand, this was most likely performed by a minor locally rooted company and the difference pocketed...

Do not forget! Almost all students get easily their Engineer Diploma. They are all engineers but they're still not able to speak English.

It's almost impossible to find a REAL and QUALIFIED Thai programmer. A real good software programmer does not need a 20 years experience, he only needs to use his brain, and that's quite a challenge for Thai engineers.

Edited by Fabdial

Maybe they just tried to advance too fast. Instead of a computerized system .. they should have started off with simple coin operated gates like they have on the Sydney Harbor Bridge. (It has the RF Comp System as well in some lanes)

Drive up to the gate .. throw 4 x 10 Baht coins or whatever in the basket .. light goes green .. gate raises .. off you go. No human toll collector needed.