My Wife Doen't Like The Sin Sod Thing

bow

To put things into perspective:

My wife is a modern Thai girl. She doesn't like the old Thai marrige traditions.

She thinks that it's a waste of money to follow the old traditions and she especially hates the "sin sod" thing.

What about her family ? She told them the truth; forget it. Did they like that answer ? Probably not.

We just went to the อำเภอ (district) office and went through the marrige registration process, 10 minutes and (I think) about 150 bath for the registration fee.

(Maybe I should add that it is quite complicated to get all the necessary paperwork for marrige, but when you have all the documents, then the actual registration is very quick.)

Why bother with marrige at all ? For practical reasons, for example, my visa to stay in Thailand and my wife's visa to farangland, marrige also made it much easier to get dual citizenship for our child.

Edited by bow

I likewise only paid the Registry Office fee. We were living together and her mother said it was not seemly, and she was uncomfortable, if we were not married, so asked us to get it formalized. The then MIL then proceeded to buy us a new matress as a wedding present. Never any mention of sin sod, and she being a Northeasterner an'all.

Old dear passed away many years ago and is sorely missed, the MIL not the wife who is still happily kicking.

Nice to see that romance isn't dead.

What do you think is so romantic about giving away money you could well use to start a new life together ? You obviously do not agree with sin-sot as so many of us on this forum will agree with you , the question now is "How can this become the norm " ?

Nice to see that romance isn't dead.
Thats how i saw it, no sinsod, 10 minute wedding ceremony, smooth b@stard ! :)

thats exactly wot i wos thinkin....... Next he will be telling us she owns a fishing boat or has shares in a brewery....dam_n she'll probably even buy him a lap dance for their first wedding anniversary.

does she have a sister OP?

More and more people in Thailand think Sin Sod is out dated and often it is just for show and after the wedding the money is returned.

As for teh fee, getting married is free. You do need to pay something like 20 baht for a copy of the register, which you will need for immigration. Any other fees are probably for the witnesses, if you don't provide them.

We paid about 8,000 baht for our wedding.

We went through an agency to make things easier, I expect that a lot of the money went there. Translation and stuff cost something as well. We also paid a bit extra to jump the queue so that we didn't have to wait around all day.

No sin sod here either. The MIL & FIL never asked for it. All they wanted was for me to love her and be a nice man. I can do that.

Bangrak Amphur marriage registration: 40 baht.

Wedding ceremony and party: A little more (read: add a bunch of zeros at the back end)

Marrying the woman of my dreams: Priceless.

We just went to the อำเภอ (district) office and went through the marrige registration process, 10 minutes and (I think) about 150 bath for the registration fee.

(Maybe I should add that it is quite complicated to get all the necessary paperwork for marrige, but when you have all the documents, then the actual registration is very quick.)

Why bother with marrige at all ? For practical reasons, for example, my visa to stay in Thailand and my wife's visa to farangland, marrige also made it much easier to get dual citizenship for our child.

Sounds a fantastic day and a great time had by all - hope you took plenty of photos... :)

Moonrakers Posted Today, 2009-11-19 19:59:41

We paid about 8,000 baht for our wedding.

We went through an agency to make things easier, I expect that a lot of the money went there. Translation and stuff cost something as well. We also paid a bit extra to jump the queue so that we didn't have to wait around all day.

For the "legal bit" we did the same as you, Moonrakers to ease the paperchase. Otherwise as you say wastes quite a bit of time queuing at the embassy, minsitry of this and that, translation, ampeur, etc etc spread over several days, as you wait for one doc to get another. Easier to use an agent for a one stop shop. :D

I have been married to my Thai wife for 17 years. I only found out Sin Sot existed when I read about it on Stickman quite recently.

Although she does seem to break many of the usual taboos for example:

She takes me to gogo bars because she finds them interesting.

She loves going to Pattaya and chatting to bar-girls with me because she likes to find out about other people are like who are not from the Bangkok upper-middle class which she is from (just like that Jarvis Cocker song "I wanna live like common people"). But she never talks down to anyone.

She sponsors a number of people from Isaan to go through university.

She is a Thaksin supporter.

She pays all my bar bills without exception including lady drinks.

She does have one normal trait though, a somewhat unpredictable temper, but I have got used to that over the years, just keep a low profile for a while.

I also know that if I ever did anything with another woman she would have no hesitation in getting the carving knife out... but I have no intention of doing so..

I have been married to my Thai wife for 17 years. I only found out Sin Sot existed when I read about it on Stickman quite recently.

Although she does seem to break many of the usual taboos for example:

She takes me to gogo bars because she finds them interesting.

She loves going to Pattaya and chatting to bar-girls with me because she likes to find out about other people are like who are not from the Bangkok upper-middle class which she is from (just like that Jarvis Cocker song "I wanna live like common people"). But she never talks down to anyone.

She sponsors a number of people from Isaan to go through university.

She is a Thaksin supporter.

She pays all my bar bills without exception including lady drinks.

She does have one normal trait though, a somewhat unpredictable temper, but I have got used to that over the years, just keep a low profile for a while.

I also know that if I ever did anything with another woman she would have no hesitation in getting the carving knife out... but I have no intention of doing so..

She likes to go to Pattaya & chat up bar girls & pays for your drinks. BUT, has an unpredictable temper and would "slice U up" if you did anything with another woman? First of all, I am glad seh is your wife, not mine and second why would you want to put yourself in a potentially hazardous situation. Looks like a lot of frustration to me. My idea of fun is not to be titillated by sexy women and know I can't touch them.

I told my wifes family that I would feel like I was buying a prostitute and refused ..... they came around eventually. I respect other peoples culture and all but they also need to respect mine even though I'm in their country. Sometimes from things I read I think people do a lot of things they find objectionable because of culture. I bought her a nice ring and a new camry and everyone was happy ! lol

I told my wifes family that I would feel like I was buying a prostitute and refused ..... they came around eventually. I respect other peoples culture and all but they also need to respect mine even though I'm in their country. Sometimes from things I read I think people do a lot of things they find objectionable because of culture. I bought her a nice ring and a new camry and everyone was happy ! lol

Now think of all the prostitutes you can get with the money you saved. :)

Edited by losworld