Are There Any Lentils Or Pulses Used In Thai Cooking?

Dorry

I haven't noticed them in Thai main dishes but you see the split mung beans for sale everywhere. I personally use them to make soups more hearty and also spice the soup with Thai spices, so I can tell you the flavors work very well with Thai flavors. Thai soups are generally cooked very quickly. My soups with the mung beans need to simmer rather long.

I'm not an expert on lentils or legumes or anything, but I don't think I've ever seen real lentils around here. The local markets and all the supermarkets have many lentil-like dried or split beans available (agree, great to improve slow-cooked soups, stews), but I don't think they're actually lentils. Maybe, though, you can find imported dried lentils at Villa, Central or one of the other big, farang-oriented supermarkets. Probabaly can... good luck!

Yes it is easy to find many kinds of lentils and pulses in the big expat cities.

Are mung beans lentils? No.

Are they pulses? I think so because they are a kind of bean and beans are included in the definition of pulses.

Of course mung bean vermicelli noodles are widely used in Thai cooking.

Edited by Jingthing

:)

I guess that depends on what you consider pulses or lentils.

There is a Thai dessert a Khanoom (sp?) that uses Coconut Milk, Sugar, Red Beans (rather like red kidney Beans, but sweeter), and some green Jelly (like the Green "Grass" Jelly you get in Singapore or Penang, whose name I can't remember) that I love.

And Beans and Peas are used in Thai soups and salads.

So if you call those "Lentils", they are in Thai food. Otherwise..No.

:D

Black beans and other beans are used extensively in the south, in salabao (steamed buns), sticky rice steamed with bananas and beans, had a coconut milk sweet soup with beans in it. All sorts of beans are used in various sweets as well. I don't see much in the way of savory, interesting that beans are a sweet here and a savory back home.

• 2 weeks later...

either way, after eating, husband sleeps in salon not the bedroom...

yesterday we made khanom with the red kidney beans but they werent cooked long enough.. we put them in the seghu; good for breakfast which is what im eating this minute....

and we are sprouting mung beans for cheaper sprouts, as anon loves to cook with them....

maybe they are used in more chinese style thai cooking and less in issaan country cooking which is a lot more meat and fish styles and less cooking and stir frying anyhow...

bina

• 4 weeks later...

Green beans ( ถั่วเขียว) is the base for the filling of many Thai sweets including but not only ลูกชุบ (look Choop),

252467776.jpg

ขนมลูกเต๋า (Kanom Look Tao)

1150916930.jpg

ถั่วเขียวต้มน้ำตาล (Tua Kiao Tom Namtan)

90-11-1076020971.jpg

ขนมเปี๊ยะ (Kanom Pia)

200812-07-195421-1.jpg

ถั่วกวน (Tua guan)

1435125089_95e4569ca5_o.jpg

ถั่วแปบ (Tua Pep)

tuapabsaiwan58.jpg

เม็ดขนุน (Met Kanoon)

1230948063.jpg

just to start with.....