Avoiding Dental Pain

mommysboy

Like many I have very sensitive teeth and dental work is hel_l, even routine cleaning has to be interrupted many times to peel me off the ceiling.

Next week I have to have the first in a series of fillings. The problem is the injections seem hit and miss, and I really suffer when they don't work.

I go to a dentist with a light touch and she understands the problem but can't do much about it. And it's been the same with previous dentists, so I don't think it's about skill.

Any suggestions ?

mommysboys:

I have the same problem as you have. There's only a very small percentage of patients who have such a sensitive nerve system; you and I belong to that group.

In your case the dentist is probably not very good in placing the injections......

The last time my (lady) dentist placed injections, the pain was so horrible that she was shocked about my reaction and she never ever experienced the same....nor did I :)

Either ask her for 1 or 2 more injections or find someone else to do the injections or find another dentist; there's really no other option apart from narcosis but that's another story I suppose (I never had narcosis with dental work)

Good luck......you need it................I know.... :D

LaoPo

mommysboys:

I have the same problem as you have. There's only a very small percentage of patients who have such a sensitive nerve system; you and I belong to that group.

In your case the dentist is probably not very good in placing the injections......

The last time my (lady) dentist placed injections, the pain was so horrible that she was shocked about my reaction and she never ever experienced the same....nor did I :)

Either ask her for 1 or 2 more injections or find someone else to do the injections or find another dentist; there's really no other option apart from narcosis but that's another story I suppose (I never had narcosis with dental work)

Good luck......you need it................I know.... :D

LaoPo

Add one more to the club.

But actually there are several things to try:

1. Laser dentistry. Don't know yet, but I can report to you within the next few weeks (soon as I am totally over the flu, it's back to the dentist).

2. Nitrous oxide. Works wonderfully for me, and for me it's beyond just sensitivity. Due to oral surgery as a child, there are four teeth for which Novocaine does absolutely nothing. The rest I can manage (and I do mean just manage) with Novocaine. On the other hand, nitrous oxide can be fun! My dentists have told me that while under, in between drilling, I sing! :D

3. Sedation dentistry that can range from meds to relax you, to meds to put you out.

Thanks for all the advice.

I went to the dentist today. I had extensive work done on the upper jaw molars and didn't feel a thing thanks to the injection. Very nice job too.

But this was after we'd tried on the lower jaw pre molar. The dentist could not even use a pick at all, and I mean at all, and the injection isolated everything but the tooth.

She said she just couldn't deliver novocaine to that tooth, and that it may be infected, or there again could just have some blockage or peculiar nerve structure. Either way it can't be touched. it's not in a bad state, in actual fact it's a small filling required, but ni way can it be done under normal circumstances it seems.

So I think I need a very good and no doubt expensive dental anaesthetist, or or some form of sedation dentistry.

Hey Ho!

I notice that there is another thread about a more expensive dentist, I might give this a try, I guess they'd be honour bound to deliver.

Thanks for all the advice.

I went to the dentist today. I had extensive work done on the upper jaw molars and didn't feel a thing thanks to the injection. Very nice job too.

But this was after we'd tried on the lower jaw pre molar. The dentist could not even use a pick at all, and I mean at all, and the injection isolated everything but the tooth.

She said she just couldn't deliver novocaine to that tooth, and that it may be infected, or there again could just have some blockage or peculiar nerve structure. Either way it can't be touched. it's not in a bad state, in actual fact it's a small filling required, but ni way can it be done under normal circumstances it seems.

So I think I need a very good and no doubt expensive dental anaesthetist, or or some form of sedation dentistry.

Hey Ho!

I notice that there is another thread about a more expensive dentist, I might give this a try, I guess they'd be honour bound to deliver.

Actually I am up against the wall and wonder whether the thread title could be changed to 'How do I treat a tooth that can't be numbed?'

The problem seems to have crystallised in to the following:

I have no specific fear of the dentist, and generally have treatment with and without an injection depending on the situation. It' alwayds been hit and miss regardless of the dentist, sometimes painless, although many are a chore. But I have 2 teeth that can not even be poked and defy basic attempts at numbing. One needs to be treated. It's a pre molar on the lower jaw, and whilst an injection makes my tongue and lip numb it does not make the tooth numb at all. The dentist seems to think it may be blocked through infection or simply through design , but can offer no further help. What can I do? Anyone know a particularly good anaesthetist in Bangkok?

Actually I am up against the wall and wonder whether the thread title could be changed to 'How do I treat a tooth that can't be numbed?'

I have no specific fear of the dentist, and generally have treatment with and without an injection depending on the situation. It' alwayds been hit and miss regardless of the dentist, sometimes painless, although many are a chore. But I have 2 teeth that can not even be poked and defy basic attempts at numbing. One needs to be treated. It's a pre molar on the lower jaw, and whilst an injection makes my tongue and lip numb it does not make the tooth numb at all. The dentist seems to think it may be blocked through infection or simply through design , but can offer no further help. What can I do? Anyone know a particularly good anaesthetist in Bangkok?

Nitrous oxide or short-acting general

Probably best done in a hospital setting just in case of adverse reaction to the anesthetic. Any of the better ospitals shoudl be able to do this. I believe I have heard BNH mentioned favorably with regard to this.

Nitrous oxide or short-acting general

Probably best done in a hospital setting just in case of adverse reaction to the anesthetic. Any of the better ospitals shoudl be able to do this. I believe I have heard BNH mentioned favorably with regard to this.

Thanks for advice. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be necessary and that I could get it numbed/partially numbed. Had a bit of a nightmare with gas as a kid, only semi put me out, had nightmares for years afterwards. Maybe the hospital would have a go at the numbing first.

If anybody does know a good anaesthetist would speak very well of them at the pearly gates.

Suffered for years with lack of numbing regardless of how many injections they gave me , finaly I just learned to pshyce myself there was no pain , in the end I had the rest pulled and no further problem . Incidentaly , this also applied to any local freezing , going for an operation they needed to use something special to put me out , doctor refered to me as "One of those ".

if the injection doesn't work that time, than postpone the treatment or get straith another shot and see how it goes.

My wife had the same problem. In her case it was a poor dentist (USA). To solved the problem he sent her to a dentast who was trained in surgery. He did a nerve block higher up the line and sent her back to get her work done while still numb.It worked

if the injection doesn't work that time, than postpone the treatment or get straith another shot and see how it goes.

My wife had the same problem. In her case it was a poor dentist (USA). To solved the problem he sent her to a dentast who was trained in surgery. He did a nerve block higher up the line and sent her back to get her work done while still numb.It worked

Yes, the injection seems to be everything.

Without being too judgmental though, I've just had some more painless drilling done:this time for a crown. I asked her about the problem tooth and she thinks it is not infected but may have some calcification which prevents flow to the offending nerve. I ruddy hope not, but it sounds possible.

Did this occur in Thailand by the way?

Suffered for years with lack of numbing regardless of how many injections they gave me , finaly I just learned to pshyce myself there was no pain , in the end I had the rest pulled and no further problem . Incidentaly , this also applied to any local freezing , going for an operation they needed to use something special to put me out , doctor refered to me as "One of those ".

I sympathise, talk about adding insult to injury. Some people don't suffer nerve pain at the dentist and it's difficult for them to understand why others hurt. As I understand it, it's because some people have more exposed nerves than others.

Personally, I have resolved not to put up with that sort of pain, not under controlled conditions anyway, obviously if you have an accident or sports injury we have to endure, but it's simply not possible to endure direct assault in such a sensitive area.

Thanks for advice. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be necessary and that I could get it numbed/partially numbed. Had a bit of a nightmare with gas as a kid, only semi put me out, had nightmares for years afterwards. Maybe the hospital would have a go at the numbing first.

Nitrous oxide isn't supposed to put you out completely. Under it, you should be able to do basic conversation with the dentist, even sing (at least my dentists say I do). The dentist should be able to ask you questions and get answers. The point of nitrous oxide is to be under to the extent that when you sense pain you simply don't give a shit and don't remember it later.

You've gone on and on about this long enough. Do something. Have them all pulled. Get general anesthesia. Nothing is perfect, but in today's age of medical miracles, dental work is possible for everyone. But don't be a mommysboy about it.

I used to have lots of pain during procedures as well. I kind of just got used to the horrible pain. I thought it was normal. Then I moved and went to a new dentist. After he "numbed" the area, he did the cold test ("Tell me if this feels cold."). I almost jumped out of my chair it was so cold (whatever "it" was)! He was surprised, so pumped me full of more of the medication (basic novocaine, maybe?). Ten minutes later, he checked again - still freezing. After a couple attempts, he figured out that I was somewhat "immune" to that type of medicine. He said that happens sometimes. He tried a different (and I think more expensive) medication to inject, and I didn't feel a thing the whole procedure! It was the best trip to the dentist ever. I had no idea that cavity fillings were supposed to be painless! He made a note in my chart of which injection I needed, but of course I've moved again and don't remember the name!

The point of my rambling is that maybe before going to an expensive sedation dentistry clinic, you can ask about alternate injections? Maybe your tooth CAN be numbed, but they just aren't using the right injection for you.

Good luck!

I used to have lots of pain during procedures as well. I kind of just got used to the horrible pain. I thought it was normal. Then I moved and went to a new dentist. After he "numbed" the area, he did the cold test ("Tell me if this feels cold."). I almost jumped out of my chair it was so cold (whatever "it" was)! He was surprised, so pumped me full of more of the medication (basic novocaine, maybe?). Ten minutes later, he checked again - still freezing. After a couple attempts, he figured out that I was somewhat "immune" to that type of medicine. He said that happens sometimes. He tried a different (and I think more expensive) medication to inject, and I didn't feel a thing the whole procedure! It was the best trip to the dentist ever. I had no idea that cavity fillings were supposed to be painless! He made a note in my chart of which injection I needed, but of course I've moved again and don't remember the name!

The point of my rambling is that maybe before going to an expensive sedation dentistry clinic, you can ask about alternate injections? Maybe your tooth CAN be numbed, but they just aren't using the right injection for you.

You were very fortunate. I think many dentists don't appreciate the difficulty some of us have with dental pain. For me it's just in one section of my mouth. Other parts I have had a few fillings with no numbing or just normal one shot of Novocaine. I think what dentists don't realize is that it's not only the intense pain of the moment, but also the fear that builds up and prevents people from going to the dentist in the future.

My sister has remarkable pain and has refused to go to the dentist for decades...and yes, I really mean decades. Her teeth are rotting away. On the one hand I feel sorry for her, but on the other hand I have tried to explain to her that modern anesthesia could put her out completely...she just won't do it.

Could you contact your ex-dentist about the shot that worked?

A nonsensical post about Napoleon Bonaparte has been deleted.

--

Maestro

But while we are on the subject of evil potentates, and I'm not talking Bony :) , Just read a Daily Mail article purportedly reporting that both Hitler and Rudolph Hess were terrified of the dentist, the latter reputedly crying at times. I guess they had even less by way of painkilling options. I guess you have to sympathise; oddly! 60 years on and still no significant improvement though!