Songkran

rss

I like and dread Songkran each year. I like to watch Thais having fun getting each other wet but I don't have any interest in joining in. I am the kind of person who would rather sit by the pool with a cool drink in one hand and watch others diving and throwing each other into the pool.

Can anyone suggest where (in Bangkok) and how to get the best out of the Songkran experience without getting wet ... too much ... and without having to pay through the nose? I am also cheap, in case you didn't already guess.

I am basically looking for some good photo opportunities but my camera is not water-proof.

Any and all suggestions/past experiences welcome and much appreciated.

Good post - It's actually the first time I've been here for Songkran and from what I've heard, anywhere away from young travelers would be a good idea for starters, I'll leave it to somebody else to elaborate.

If a backpacker soaked me when I had my camera with me, I would hit them round the head with it with all the force I had until my the muscles in my arm burned and their skull was visible through their face.

I kept my telephone in a condom last year.

I think you will see lots of condoms on phones this year, probably not where they are supposed to be though.

I keep my wallet in a plastic tied bag, which is also inside a similar bag. Maybe a condom would be better.

Anyone know where I can get a giant condom, 6 feet 2 inches long?

Why not try and go to Khao San Road and sit in a bar upstairs whilst watching all the "pricks"(I was one of them 13 years ago) having fun.

I went back 2 years ago, but never never never again.

If you want photos it is your best bet.

My advice is to stay at home with a stocked fridge.

I had a bad experiance with Songran 7 years ago in Phuket.

I got squirted by a baby elephant with dirty warter from a nearby klong.

Three days later i went down with viral hepatitus.

The remedy was no aclohol, caffine or fried food for 2 years.

Welcome to boring life and diet.

I'm not a killjoy and i hope everyone has fun, but i'm not risking it again.

Get a disposable camera and wrap everything up in polythene bags.

I like and dread Songkran each year. I like to watch Thais having fun getting each other wet but I don't have any interest in joining in. I am the kind of person who would rather sit by the pool with a cool drink in one hand and watch others diving and throwing each other into the pool.

Can anyone suggest where (in Bangkok) and how to get the best out of the Songkran experience without getting wet ... too much ... and without having to pay through the nose? I am also cheap, in case you didn't already guess.

I am basically looking for some good photo opportunities but my camera is not water-proof.

Any and all suggestions/past experiences welcome and much appreciated.

Is the pope-mobile available now? With it's bullet-proof all glass enclosure, it seems like it would make the perfect vehicle for your needs....

...Why not try and go to Khao San Road and sit in a bar upstairs whilst watching all the ...

How do you get into the bar without getting wet? :D

Actually, I found a way in Sukh soi 4 - get the taxi to go into the hotel car park, then get to the bar via the back door :D . Lot's of soaking wet customers inside looking with envy at my dry shirt and shorts.... :o:D:D

Anyone know where I can get a giant condom, 6 feet 2 inches long?

You're talking about a rainsuit, for sale at many shops. Yes, a rainsuit is excellent Songkran defence, but the cheaper ones have little ventilation so if you wear them long you end up soaked from within by sweat. High-end breathable suits are available at dealers for big sportbikes.