Pm Abhisit Visits North

webfact

Reds' openly stated threats of violence against the gay would be festival paraders in Chiang Mai who were prevented from having their day in the public streets reinforce the divisive, intemperate and polarizing nature of both Thaksin himself and of his personal red army.

I shudder to think of Thailand as a country if Thaksin were to regain power with his red army at his disposal for any of his purposes or whims. It makes me think of Chairman Mao and his Red Guards who during their ruthless and mindless ten year campaign against the 'enemies' of Chairman Mao halted the development of China, killed untold numbers of fellow Chinese and loved every minute of it.

Pardons and amnesties of Thaksin and his cronies who upon any retun would have their own personal Red Guard army throughout Thailand are absolutely out of the question, unless Thais want to consign their country to self immolation.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INTO THE LION'S DEN

Concern mounts over PM's Chiang Mai visit

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on November 22, 2009

Police working overtime following threat on Abhisit's life should he set foot in red shirts' stronghold next weekend

Chiang Mai officials and tourism operators yesterday warned against violence erupting during Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's official trip to the northern city next week following a threat on his life.

Chiang Mai Governor Amornpan Nimanant said he failed to get cooperation from some of the 16 red-shirt groups in Chiang Mai in not creating trouble when Abhisit joins the Thai Chamber of Commerce's seminar next Sunday.

He said police were working on the plan by red shirts to attack Abhisit if he stepped into Chiang Mai, home to many supporters of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Lt-General Somkid Bunthanom, commissioner of Provincial Police Region 5, said Special Branch police were conducting intelligence on which red groups planned to obstruct the prime minister's work or assault him.

Police will take strict legal action against community-radio stations that incite violence, he said.

Kanok Suwanasut, president of the Thai Hotel Association's upper northern region, called on anti-government protesters not to resort to violence that would ruin the tourism climate in Chiang Mai.

He was responding to the move by Petchawat Wattanapongsirikul, a leader of the Chiang Mai 51 group, who had allegedly urged protests and force against Abhisit.

Kanok said he hoped the red shirts would not carry out their threats, since the local tourism industry had taken a beating from the recession during the off season and was looking forward to making some money during the high season.

"If we can prevent violence from happening in Chiang Mai this time, it means Chiang Mai still has a future and its image of being a popular tourist destination will be restored," he said.

Kanyapak Maneechan, a leader of Chiang Mai 51, insisted that her group and the red shirts in eight northern provinces were determined not to let Abhisit attend the meeting in Chiang Mai because his government lacked legitimacy.

More than 40,000 red shirts would converge on the Le Meridien hotel and then move to the Night Bazaar as part of the campaign to oust Abhisit. They will also set off fireworks and release lanterns in a ceremony to bring the premier to his demise. Pheu Thai Party deputy spokesman Jirayu Huangsab warned Abhisit not to go to Chiang Mai and to cancel his trip, as more than 100,000 people would be there to drive him out.

"How can he be sure that his security guards can provide him with safety when he has many opponents there?" he said.

Meanwhile, Karun Hosakul, a Pheu Thai MP for Bangkok, said the party would file a complaint with the Department of Special Investigation if the National Anti-Corruption Commission refused to investigate graft allegations in the Sufficiency Community project on grounds that no politicians or officials were involved.

He insisted that the party had evidence linking key politicians to the scandal.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

So it is a joke to say the PM will be killed. And PTP tell him to cancel the visit for his safety and yet never onjce call for calm and ask his opponents to stick to lawful dfemos and respect the right to visit.

The drumbeat of hatred goes on. LCM51's history is well knownb and they are a proven violent grouping with a belief based crede and claim they represent the people of the North. There is no debate on that.

I don't know what is scarier for the PM in Chiang Mai, the red shirt bile and resentment, or the Chiang Mai Forum, who hate the reds for canceling their gay parade wanting to hug and kiss him. .

How do you arrive at this conclusion Pal?

Are you saying that everyone who posts on the Chiang Mai forum are gay yellow shirt supporters ?

What a stupid post :)

Agreed.

I suspect that those posters, on the Chiang Mai Forum, who have watched a long series of thuggish and violent acts from local red-shirted supporters (especially Rak Chiang Mai 51) of now-fugitive former-PM Thaksin, are reacting to what they see up here, and not from any alleged desire to personally hug or kiss the current PM.

It was an absurd post, perhaps the member concerned might think better of it, and withdraw it ?

So it is a joke to say the PM will be killed. And PTP tell him to cancel the visit for his safety and yet never onjce call for calm and ask his opponents to stick to lawful dfemos and respect the right to visit.

The drumbeat of hatred goes on. LCM51's history is well knownb and they are a proven violent grouping with a belief based crede and claim they represent the people of the North. There is no debate on that.

Indeed - same as it's always been on the Thaksin-loving Redskirts side. It goes back to his philosophy of maximum state-sanctioned violence (War on Drugs, Southern suppression, anti-"bad" NGOs, disappearances, etc) and minimum human rights concerns during his stay in office. Hence, as I always maintained, you were incorrect in earlier trying to portray "each side as bad as the other". The Yellows have a lot of catching up to do to reach the Red's excesses, you'd have to admit, and apart from failing to control some unruly elements during the period of street protests, they have managed to keep a fairly clean sheet in comparison.

Indeed - same as it's always been on the Thaksin-loving Redskirts side. It goes back to his philosophy of maximum state-sanctioned violence (War on Drugs, Southern suppression, anti-"bad" NGOs, disappearances, etc) and minimum human rights concerns during his stay in office. Hence, as I always maintained, you were incorrect in earlier trying to portray "each side as bad as the other". The Yellows have a lot of catching up to do to reach the Red's excesses, you'd have to admit, and apart from failing to control some unruly elements during the period of street protests, they have managed to keep a fairly clean sheet in comparison.

No, Hammered is broadly correct and you are wrong.The yellows set the violent tone in recent Thai politics and this is confirmed by respected observers such as Baker/Pasuk.There can be no excuses for violence on either side.The current situation is rather different with infighting on both red and yellow sides.Large red rallies have been completely free of violence.The smaller yellow rallies have not but even the most bone headed don't blame Thaksin for this.The attempted assasination of Sondhi by agents of his former protectors says it all.

No, Hammered is broadly correct and you are wrong.The yellows set the violent tone in recent Thai politics and this is confirmed by respected observers such as Baker/Pasuk.There can be no excuses for violence on either side.The current situation is rather different with infighting on both red and yellow sides.Large red rallies have been completely free of violence.The smaller yellow rallies have not but even the most bone headed don't blame Thaksin for this.The attempted assasination of Sondhi by agents of his former protectors says it all.

No jayboy you are wrong! Your statement that 'red rallies have been completely free of violence' is wrong in fact, and you are in error to write and submit untruths. There have been many incidents where the reds have been violent including a rally in CM, and in entering and roughing up monks at prayer. And please don't say 'it was just an honest mistake'.

You also made some comment about 'The attempted assasination of Sondhi by agents of his former protectors says it all.'

What does this mean?

Waiting for the red shirt brigage (Que Ulysses) to explain that is quite well and proper for them to try to intimidate and threaten the PM. I am sure they'll all join in when people start throwing things, shooting fireworks etc.

Those red shirts - nothing but class, from top to bottom.

May I try instead? Because today Thaksins kids start a new red Internet TV which tells all the secrets....

It is proper because Abhisit was never elected as premier by the people of Thailand and he let the army kill tens of thousands of the peaceful red demonstrators at black April (was it April). As well it is necessary because Kasit want to start war against our friendly, honest neighbour Cambodia.

After that our loved great leader can come back to Thailand and every poor will get rich.

Good enough?

:) Is this an attempt at humourusly summing up the dellusions of the most gullable of gullable red shirts?

10s of thousands killed?

Honest nieghbour cambodia,,, 55555555555 haha

every poor will get rich,,,, stop it its too much 55

facts:

- Thaksin DID kill thousands

- Thaksin tried sell out his own country for his personal riches - ie sea border and land for oil contracts coz too tricky even to get round thai law for him to milk the maximum money to fullfill his greed.

- Thaksin enriched many mill owners while trapping farmers in debt while promising they'll be rich sum time soon.

- Fact, no one will ever get rich off growing 3 rai of rice, much better listen to the Kings sustainable farming methods, have a happy life, go to temple listen to the dhama and stop causing trouble for the country because you dream of being rich. Educate your children and earn what you get rather than supporting any the pollitition who promise everything because promise is just the word to get the power to rob the country.

I broadly agree with Jayboy on this although would say that government cannot also be given a clean slate for non-use of violence. Both sides have used state oppression against the other side when given the opportunity and both sides have resorted to some violence when not in power. While yellows may have set the tone for street violence the TRT set the initial tone for state repression against opponents back in 2005. The nature of violence or oppression employed depends on the position currently held by the players as much as anything else. Now that is not to say everyone is violent but both sdies have their violent actors. There really is little point in arguing who has been most violent as we all have our biases and in reality we dont know exactly who was behind every event although I am not niave enough to think either side can excuse violence away from them completely.

We dont know exactly who tried to assasinate Sondhi although I guess he has a pretty good idea;) The 4 generals, a policeman and a poltiican based abroad rumours havent resulted in any agreement form what I know although there are a few common names bandied around.

The attack on the recent PAD rally is indicative of rising tension and restarts the trend of attacks on their rallies. Opinion seems divided over who did it. Since the Songkhran fiasco the red rallies have been relaitvely calm, smaller than before and have remained free form external attack so far. The big one coming up may or may not continue this overall trend although opinion also seems divided over what way this will go. LCM51 are not representative of the whole red movement and arguably are no proponents of democracy or any form of democracy accepted by most and their threats and actions are worrying. It would be nice to see some criticism or control exerted over them by the rest of the red movement or the PTP. That however, seems niave. The ultra-nationalist statements of the PAD should also imho be rebuked by the government as should any lunacy coming from the ranks of the red movement by the PTP. However, we just seem to see a drift into a position where people either by choice or design end up in one camp or the other whether it really fits with their beliefs or not. The conclusion of all this will likely not be nice.

Don't patronise those who are as well informed or better informed on the Thai political structure as you are.You point is fatuous without the appropriate context.We know that Abhisit is constitutionally quite eligible to be Prime Minister of Thailand for the reasons you mention.However his path to to this post is certainly murky and "guided" and though it's unclear how much blame attaches to him personally, he has benefited from a criminal military coup, a rigged constitution, dubious court decisions and military patronage.The member who you unsuccessfully attempted to belittle has a perfectly valid point , namely that Abhisit needs to seek a popular mandate in fair elections as a matter of some priority.All the evidence suggests he will not obtain it.

Come on Jayboy. It is now the next day and I am still waiting for either you or your friend zzaa09 to back up his comment of stated fact that Abhisit wasn't elected as PM - but appointed by a judicial coup. Since you jumped in, can you back it up or do both you and zzaa09 have nothing?

Edited by Old Man River

Large red rallies have been completely free of violence.

I guess the violence during Songkran 2009 was a figment of everyone's imagination. Wow, I could have sworn the Red Shirts hijacked a gasoline truck and threatened to blow it up along with the men, women and children in surrounding neighborhoods. I will call my friend immediately and tell him he was imagining it when he feared for his kid's lives because this never happened.

Dream on.

I guess the violence during Songkran 2009 was a figment of everyone's imagination. Wow, I could have sworn the Red Shirts hijacked a gasoline truck and threatened to blow it up along with the men, women and children in surrounding neighborhoods. I will call my friend immediately and tell him he was imagining it when he feared for his kid's lives because this never happened.

Dream on.

Yeah the LPG human bomb (that never happened) is the latest rallying call on this forum.It was a stupid and reckless act but it didn't actually happen, geddit? There is enough going on without summoning up pre-crimes.

I was actually talking about the recent rallies and should have made that clearer.

Don't patronise those who are as well informed or better informed on the Thai political structure as you are.You point is fatuous without the appropriate context.We know that Abhisit is constitutionally quite eligible to be Prime Minister of Thailand for the reasons you mention.However his path to to this post is certainly murky and "guided" and though it's unclear how much blame attaches to him personally, he has benefited from a criminal military coup, a rigged constitution, dubious court decisions and military patronage.The member who you unsuccessfully attempted to belittle has a perfectly valid point , namely that Abhisit needs to seek a popular mandate in fair elections as a matter of some priority.All the evidence suggests he will not obtain it.

Come on Jayboy. It is now the next day and I am still waiting for either you or your friend zzaa09 to back up his comment of stated fact that Abhisit wasn't elected as PM - but appointed by a judicial coup. Since you jumped in, can you back it up or do both you and zzaa09 have nothing?

I didn't say Abhisit was appointed by an official coup.Read my post quoted above which makes my position very clear.

Incidentally I try to respond to posts and failure to do so is simply having not spotted a question.

Chiang Mai red-shirt leader faces arrest warrant for making bomb threat against PM

Chiang Mai - The Chiang Mai provincial administration and police will seek a warrant for the arrest of a local red-shirt leader for having allegedly made a car-bomb assassination threat against Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Chiang Mai Deputy Governor Pairoj Saengpuwong said police are in the process of gathering evidence to seek an arrest warrant from the Chiang Mai Court against Phetchawat Wattanpongsirikul, a leader of the Chiang Mai Loving 51 Group.

Police would seek the arrest warrant Monday, he said.

Pairoj said Phetchawat allegedly announced on a Chiang Mai community radio station that Abhisit would be attacked with a car bomb when he chairs the Chamber of Commerce meeting at the Le Meridian Hotel in Chiang Mai provincial seat on Sunday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/22

Majority of Chiang Mai residents feel Red Shirt activity has damaged tourism

They are now waiting for the PAD to occupy CM airport to restore public confidence.

:D Nice one there. Thank heavens we farangs have such a great sense of humour. :D

Chiang Mai residents of course remember when 500 red-shirts attempted to blockade their local airport, to disrupt a visit by the PM, who used the military part of CNX instead.

Yeah the LPG human bomb (that never happened) is the latest rallying call on this forum.It was a stupid and reckless act but it didn't actually happen, geddit? There is enough going on without summoning up pre-crimes.

I'm sure I recall pictures of this event, in the papers & on TV, perhaps it was all really foreign news (from Cambodia ?) or yet another amusing joke by the red-shirted comedians. :)

Dream on.

I was actually talking about the recent rallies and should have made that clearer.

By that logic anyone bringing explosive or flammable materials that can also cause explosions and kill hundreds into residential or commercial areas isnt really doing more than acting wrecklessly. Mmmm think inmost countires the charges would be a lot worse than that for something similar to the Din Daeng case and I dont think it would be a little sideshow or something but a very very big thing especially as it was the porganised supporters of the political opposition in parliament. Imagine if the supporters of the Republican party drove an LPG tanker into a residential area of downtown Washington or the supporters of the Conservative party in the UK did it in downtown London. Yeah I can really see that being described as a pre-crime and a mere wreckless and stupid act.

Dream on.

By that logic anyone bringing explosive or flammable materials that can also cause explosions and kill hundreds into residential or commercial areas isnt really doing more than acting wrecklessly. Mmmm think inmost countires the charges would be a lot worse than that for something similar to the Din Daeng case and I dont think it would be a little sideshow or something but a very very big thing especially as it was the porganised supporters of the political opposition in parliament. Imagine if the supporters of the Republican party drove an LPG tanker into a residential area of downtown Washington or the supporters of the Conservative party in the UK did it in downtown London. Yeah I can really see that being described as a pre-crime and a mere wreckless and stupid act.

Boy some people have got that LPG truck on the brain.Strange how so many had eye witness friends on the spot, though others tell a rather different story.

In a more general sense this sort of street protest wouldn't happen and more pertinently be necessary in the countries you mention because unpopular governments aren't ushered in through military coups, rigged constitutions, corrupt back door deals and dodgy court decisions.The majority of the people decide who's in power and if the elected government screws up the bums get thrown out.Not so here where a tiny minority think they know what's best for the great unwashed...and surprise surprise this just happens to mean the economic system is skewed in their favour.

Boy some people have got that LPG truck on the brain.Strange how so many had eye witness friends on the spot, though others tell a rather different story.

In a more general sense this sort of street protest wouldn't happen and more pertinently be necessary in the countries you mention because unpopular governments aren't ushered in through military coups, rigged constitutions, corrupt back door deals and dodgy court decisions.The majority of the people decide who's in power and if the elected government screws up the bums get thrown out.Not so here where a tiny minority think they know what's best for the great unwashed...and surprise surprise this just happens to mean the economic system is skewed in their favour.

I understand all the politcs of the red protests and am braodly sympatheitic to some of their aims ie aims not purely relating to returning one person and reattaching him to his wealth and power.

Those aims though dont make the LPG incident right. The reds should have utterly condemned it and the PTP too and handed in the perpetrators. It had nothing at all to do with class struggle or struggle against oppression unless a bunch of really poor people are your class enemy.

I had family there actually and spoke to them and others present. Im sure if you had family there you would be more incensed and accept that others telling a different story were telling a false one. That is a characteristic of this power struggle - lies are told by all. However, sometimes (not often) you happen to meet witnesses and can form a clear opinion. I'll take the word of those there who had no axe to grind and indeed included red sympathisers. I have not heard a credible alternative story that fits with what the people I spoke to said. It cannot be jusitified and it was done by elements of the reds unless there is some vast conspiracy to get family members and others to lie to some nobody foreigner whose opinion actually carries no weight, and that is a bit hard to believe.

Edited to add: Anyway. I'll leave this here. There is enough going on without going over the past incessantly

Edited by hammered

:):D :D not again.....what is not elected on this government?? What is the different story on the LPG trucks??? Doesn't it get boring always the same old thing. This is discussed a 1000 times and from the trucks are videos, interviews with the residents etc etc etc.

You only need to go there and ask the people on the streets.

The bum got thrown out. Not shot or locked up

Then his puppets screwed up TWICE and got thrown out.

He got convicted when his own puppet government was in power too. Oops

He had complete freedom of movement till HE decided to leave the country.

Then by legal rules of parliamentary procedure,

the current government formed a coalition, which still functions.

All by the rules on the books as put there by Thais.

Let's see now which side is it calling for assassination ?

Oh yes, the red shirt side...

Which side didn't send commandos to top Thaksin?

Oh yes, the military and current government.

Who shows the courage to go to all place in the nation

even as assassination is being threaten against him?

Abhisit

Who doesn't have the stones to face a 2 year cream puff incarceration.

softened by the voluminous bribes he could make for creature comforts?

Thaksin.

So that makes a few things clearer.

Edited by animatic

PM vows to visit Chiang Mai despite threats

By The Nation

Published on November 23, 2009

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday said he would go to Chiang Mai even though the red shirts had threatened to take his life if he sets foot in their stronghold.

The Chiang Mai provincial administration and police will seek a warrant for the arrest of a local red-shirt leader for having allegedly made a car-bomb assassination threat against the prime minister.

Chiang Mai Deputy Governor Pairoj Saengpuwong said police are in the process of gathering evidence to seek an arrest warrant from the Chiang Mai Court against Phetchawat Wattanpongsirikul, a leader of the Chiang Mai Loving 51 Group.

Pairoj said Phetchawat allegedly announced on a Chiang Mai community radio station that Abhisit would be attacked with a car bomb when he chairs the Chamber of Commerce meeting at the Le Meridien Hotel in Chiang Mai on Sunday.

Pairoj said the alleged assassination threat was a crime against the state so police could initiate legal action without having to wait for anyone to file a complaint against the red-shirt leader.

Pairoj said Phetchawat is also facing 10 other legal cases and Chiang Mai Governor Amornphan Nimanan and Provincial Police Bureau 5 Commissioner Pol Lt-General Somkid Boonthanom had instructed police to speed up the cases.

During his weekly television programme, Abhisit said he had been able to travel to many areas and had seen anti-government protests under control, but in Chiang Mai there had been a threat on his life, which is illegal. The government would take strict action, he said. He called on the red shirts to review their decision and not bring about turmoil because the people who would face the negative consequences were the people of Chiang Mai.

"The activity [that he is joining] is being organised by the private sector that wants to restore confidence. Creating turmoil does not help any one,'' Abhisit said.

He said the Cabinet would tomorrow discuss if there was a need to impose the Internal Security Act.

The PM dismissed concerns that the red-shirt movement in Chiang Mai would be able to topple his government saying if there would be any political change, it would be done through the parliamentary system. He downplayed statements made by Pheu Thai Party chairman General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh or former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat saying whatever they had said were aimed at boosting the morale of the red shirts.

PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey said the government would take legal action against programme hosts of the community radio station that issued a threat to Abhisit's life. Police have gathered all tapes of the programmes. He said many stations and programme hosts had already had court cases and they action would be taken if they committed the offence again.

Concerned officials have been instructed to monitor all radio stations on whether they incite unrest or just offer normal political criticism.

He said any station that had not been registered would be shut down immediately. Satit vowed to bring those who had made a death threat on the PM to justice within next week as he would go to Chiang Mai on Sunday.

Satit said the red shirts in Chiang Mai had stepped up their campaign at the order of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was afraid of losing his assets, if the court rules that he was unusually rich and orders confiscation of his frozen assets.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/23

Abhisit can travel the world over, on his own. As a PM, though he has the duty to see people, but he must weigh what he could achieve from the trip, if it's worth our tax money, for the flight, security, people arrangement etc. Every minutes of the trip are on us, and I don't want him to spend my money at whim, looking for more trouble.

For the radio man, I don't think that police can arrest the man for life threatening, when PM (the target)doesn't believe it.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday said he would go to Chiang Mai even though the red shirts had threatened to take his life if he sets foot in their stronghold.

Wow, what an incredible hyperbole. Why do we have to endure this BS every day I wonder.

If Abhisit goes to Chiang Mai on Saturday or Sunday where will be the reds?

In Bangkok or in Chiang Mai or both places with half of their people??

Hyperbole of the reds- a million reds will come to Bangkok.

We will kill Apisit with a car bomb.

The vitriol spewed out day to day by the community radio stations of ' Klum Rak Chiang Mai' is a disgrace to any thinking person.

That explains why he already has 10 separate charges against this guy. Long past due to pull the plug on these types.

If he thinks it's ok threatening to murder someone and then just attempt to play it off as some sort of joke, he should try pulling that stunt on an airplane and see what happens, eg. "I'm going to kill the pilot."

It should be remembered that many of these people are passionate to their cause, and we know that many Thais suppress their emotions so often, that when the come bubbling up, the consequences can sometimes be violent and deadly. Not a flame, just a societal observation, that can be documented in several texts.

I would like to see the government handle these types of situations more dispassionately, which they are good at doing in most instances, aside from Thaksin and the Reds (Sounds like a bad 50's band).

Even in the USA, where they have the constitutional right to free speech, threatening to kill the President is still a federal offence, punishable by fines and / or imprisonment of up to five years. Its not an outdated law it is often called upon by the Secret Service.

So its not exactly surprising to see similar laws in existence in Thailand. We have no way of knowing whether the PM or the Police believes this threat to be credible or not, but I think given what happened to Sonthi it would be foolish to take it lightly.

They have threatened the life of the PM. This at a time when confidence needs to be restored, not for the government's sake but for the sake of the working people, and not just of Chiangmai but for the whole of Thailand.

There are ways to express dissatisfaction, but death threats is over stepping the line, and the culprit should be punished for that. If the reds want to be taken seriously they should not resort to violence or even threats of violence.

Hat's off to Abhisit for making the trip, its a brave move and one that's needed, I just hope his security detail is tighter than what was provided for his Asean summit guests in Pattaya...

I didn't say Abhisit was appointed by an official coup.Read my post quoted above which makes my position very clear.

Incidentally I try to respond to posts and failure to do so is simply having not spotted a question.

OK, we are back understanding each other (which is the way I prefer it). I responded to your support of someone else who said Abhisit: "wasn't elected - but appointed by a judicial coup." I don't want to get into a discussion as to what an official coup is, but if someone is going to say Abhisit was made PM by a judicial coup and state it as if it is a fact, I would expect them to back it up with fact. So far, there has been no fact presented to back it up.