How To Get A Bike In On 'visa Runs'

submaniac

In the past I have heard our illustrious posters discussing how they have friends with bikes that were never taxed by the Thai government, and are here as temporary imports and must be taken out of the country, and then brought back in, every 6 months. Could someone shed a little information on what the procedure is? You see I already tried to buy a legitimate Thai bike with what we thought was a valid green book. After all that has happened, might as well say screw it, and bring in my CBR1000RR fireblade. I am so tempted to dump the usa and live in Thailand forever.

You bring it in, you give yourself / your word in lue of the cash bond.. You get 2 months.

After 2 months go to local customs.. get 2 months extension..

After another 2 months go back.. repeat..

After 6 months leave the country and repeat.

Pretty much all there is to it.. Many on Phuket now.. So much so when I went to customs to sound him out he was the one telling me to do it and no problem and it was easy etc. Without a yes from your local customs you hit a dead end.

Also will say.. The malay border is WIDE open and some guys who used to do this have since just ridden and in keep riding.. flat out breaking the rules but as theres no record of when it came in, there no record of its over stay. God knows what would happen trying to leave the country via another land border when its not 'in the system' ??

Interesting. I have never heard of this tactic.

Also will say.. The malay border is WIDE open and some guys who used to do this have since just ridden and in keep riding.. flat out breaking the rules but as theres no record of when it came in, there no record of its over stay. God knows what would happen trying to leave the country via another land border when its not 'in the system' ??

I can confirm, I wasn't challenged exiting or entering on the Malay border on my Ninja 2 weeks ago. May just be spotty enforcement and not the rule tho.

I like the sound of it. It reminds me of the old laissez-fair 'passport-in-the-envelope' visa runs that used to be the done thing down that way.

Hopefully the system won't tighten it's belt or make it any difficult.

What would it be like if you brought in a bike from the malay border but actually lived in Chiang Mai?

Would you be able to 'visa run' the bike from a nearby Burmese land border or would you have to trail-blaze all the way back to Malaysia every 6 months or so?

Interesting. I have never heard of this tactic.

I can confirm, I wasn't challenged exiting or entering on the Malay border on my Ninja 2 weeks ago. May just be spotty enforcement and not the rule tho.

I got slated on here and called a lair on GT-Rider when I posted it but all I can say is whats happened to me..

Drove a car both ways earlier this month and no one asked for anything.. passports only.

I like the sound of it. It reminds me of the old laissez-fair 'passport-in-the-envelope' visa runs that used to be the done thing down that way.

What would it be like if you brought in a bike from the malay border but actually lived in Chiang Mai?

Would you be able to 'visa run' the bike from a nearby Burmese land border or would you have to trail-blaze all the way back to Malaysia every 6 months or so?

I heard someone saying that a bike thats come into the country has to leave the country by the same border post.. But the logical person (who tends to go a bit insane in Thailand) says how does that work for people 'transiting' Thailand on world tours.. It just doesnt make sense.

For me the big question is 'what do your local customs say' are they cool with constantly giving 2 month extensions ?? My local one seems to be enthusiastic and mates say he doesnt even want a drink.. But get a grumpy one, or one that interprets the rules to be 2 extensions max forever, or even an upcountry one thats just never heard of this and who denies it and you get into a face issue.. That would all be a nightmare.

Also lets face it every 60 days to remember another thing to go to a gov office for.. OK if your saving 1/2 a mil baht but it would have to be serious money.

You bring it in, you give yourself / your word in lue of the cash bond.. You get 2 months.

After 2 months go to local customs.. get 2 months extension..

After another 2 months go back.. repeat..

After 6 months leave the country and repeat.

Pretty much all there is to it.. Many on Phuket now.. So much so when I went to customs to sound him out he was the one telling me to do it and no problem and it was easy etc. Without a yes from your local customs you hit a dead end.

Must admit I rode my Triumph Tiger into Thailand at the Malaysia/Thailand check point a few years ago , just didn,t look for Customs too carefully and kept riding, no problems!!!

Hi

My friend bought a bike in Singapore and did the same thing, after a while he was told no to do it anymore.

Do you mean he did the same thing with legit bringing it in.. or just blew in..

I think we know some of the same people.. And I think I might know who that guy is.. Possibly you know a bald harley rider on cali plates ?? That machine has been doing this for YEARS now.

That is the reason for the odd Cambodia plate on some nice BMW's, one Harley for certain, and some sexy newer KTM's around Chiang Mai. A couple of owners of those bikes purchased them in Singapore.

Hi

My friend bought a bike in Singapore and did the same thing, after a while he was told no to do it anymore.

Do you mean he did the same thing with legit bringing it in.. or just blew in..

I think we know some of the same people.. And I think I might know who that guy is.. Possibly you know a bald harley rider on cali plates ?? That machine has been doing this for YEARS now.

Hi

No its not K, another guy on a Yamaha

Not sure why he had to stop, but they told him not to do it again, think he sold the bike

Edited by HDRIDER

Now this is interesting. I wonder, could this also be done with a car?

I still have a Landrover Defender 110 in storage in Holland.

Bought it in 2003, modified it a lot, and would like to have it in Thailand.

The import duties and taxes are stupid.

That is the reason for the odd Cambodia plate on some nice BMW's, one Harley for certain, and some sexy newer KTM's around Chiang Mai. A couple of owners of those bikes purchased them in Singapore.

Yes head a cambo reg can be legalised for a few hundred USD..

Then you ride it in Thailand..

That was suggested for a plateless bike to me.

Now this is interesting. I wonder, could this also be done with a car?

I still have a Landrover Defender 110 in storage in Holland.

Bought it in 2003, modified it a lot, and would like to have it in Thailand.

The import duties and taxes are stupid.

No on a car they dont accept the 'personal promise' instead of a bond.. For a car its cash only or I would have brought my 850csi in that way.

Tho the idea of shipping a car to KL and chancing it has been discussed by a few but I know no one whose had the guts to try.. I know nothing was said to me multiple times, but each time there was a Thai script plate on it.. Would it still be ignored without that ??

What about ASEAN countries? Livin LOS, how would that work with a bike being first registered in Cambodia?

Many would love to export their unregistered bikes if neighboring countries are less strict!

Yesterday, I spoke with some Cambodian officials about that but when you ask 3, you get 3 different answers :)

Chris

post-7704-1258881536_thumb.jpg

What about ASEAN countries? Livin LOS, how would that work with a bike being first registered in Cambodia?

Many would love to export their unregistered bikes if neighboring countries are less strict!

Yesterday, I spoke with some Cambodian officials about that but when you ask 3, you get 3 different answers :)

Chris

ASEAN made is free of importduty from january 2010, but still 29k baht for emissiontest, 30% excise tax and 7% vat to have it reg in LOS

Well from cambodia at koh kong/ poi pet ive only ever got a month,.i shipped the bike from thailand to the uk and never had a problem going back to cambodia, 6 times now, same border crossings,. i have "heard " of people getting longer at other places though,.

Tell us more. You ever tried to get a multiple entry VISa in Phnom Phen (spelling?)

Cambo registration, Thai insurance - this might actually work!

Chris

Edited by Kf6vci