Mu7...

bkkmick

They are 265/60R18. They came from the dealer. The brand of the tyres is Aurora.

Well, it looks like my Thai salesperson friend has come through:

Echoing the findings of other posters, 18" wheels/tyres are not popular here in LOS because the Thai mindset is that, "Tyres 18" is not smooth and not muchin Thailanf, mostly for hardship roads."

So 18" anything does not seem a likely choice due to its lack of retailer support.

That leaves me with only the 17" choice of upgrade....but the MU-7 wheels are 16" :)

It gets better - remember, we are here in LOS.........

Though they do readily stock 16" and 17" versions of the cool Michelin tyres I was pursuing - Michelin Latitude, very nice quality and highly rated - a set of 5 of these Michelins in 16" will cost about 27,500 baht more (but last twice as long not to mention the superior handling characteristics) than the 'about average' rated Bridgestone Duelers(?) tyres that are sold on the MU-7!

If I want the same pkg in 17", including 5 wheels, it will set me back 55,000 baht - Hmmm, just to gain One Inch!!

Also, instead of the 265/65R 17 mentioned in this thread, he suggests that 265/60R 17 and 245/65R 17 are the best and second best 17" replacement sizes for the MU-7's 245/70R 16.

Any opinions about that technicality?

That's the tyre situation as it stands.

At least I have the stereo upgrade for my new MU-7 ready to go - Thanx Aidenai - I just may be able to use this spare mono amp I have!

Now if only I could feel that good about the color selection 'White' that I'll probably end up choosing......

Edited by Ahnsahn

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Bridgestone Dueler, 18 months and 25.000 km old, are at 70% of their life, so my guess is one more year or 15.000 km more then I should change tires.

Not a so long life...

But 70% of the km are made in Koh Phangan, only with rough concrete roads

My Bridgestone Dueler, 18 months and 25.000 km old, are at 70% of their life, so my guess is one more year or 15.000 km more then I should change tires.

Not a so long life...

....ahhh beautiful Koh Phangan..... :)

I guess I've just made up my mind....I'm getting the Michelins!

Now it's a matter of 16" or 17"...... :D:D

Not a so long life...

......the thought just occurred to me: You can get a super good deal on the 5 new Bridgestones after I pickup my MU-7 from the dealer......I may even be able to deliver them to you in July or August - I have been looking for a concrete reason - no pun intended - to visit beautiful Koh Phangan!

Every shop I have gone into has had the Falken 18" tire in stock, so I think they must be popular. I'm going to go with them for now as the price is right and even if they only last 70% as long as the Michelin I will be money ahead. As to people arguing against an 18" wheel, Toyota offers that as standard on the high end Fortuner. Now when it comes to 20" wheels, I agree that is going overboard.

The wheel size is all about looks for sure and it is an individuals taste. I find that the larger wheels give a car a lower wider look which I prefer.

If you are considering staying with the 16" wheels and tires, my advise to you is drive the ones that comes with the car until they need changing before going to expensive Michelins.

Every shop I have gone into has had the Falken 18" tire in stock, so I think they must be popular. I'm going to go with them for now as the price is right and even if they only last 70% as long as the Michelin I will be money ahead. As to people arguing against an 18" wheel, Toyota offers that as standard on the high end Fortuner. Now when it comes to 20" wheels, I agree that is going overboard.

The wheel size is all about looks for sure and it is an individuals taste. I find that the larger wheels give a car a lower wider look which I prefer.

If you are considering staying with the 16" wheels and tires, my advise to you is drive the ones that comes with the car until they need changing before going to expensive Michelins.

....which 18" size are you putting on your Pajero and which model Falken?

They told me that the 265/60R 18 is the replacement size for the MU-7's original 245/70R 16.

Though I know I'm going with the Michelins, I haven't fully decided between the 16" and 17".

I'm on the other side of the 'personal choice' equation in that, I like to drive - on long trips - so I like my SUV/PPV to be higher off the ground (a better view of the road ahead and traffic and more ground clearance of the underbody from 'the ground elements' - driving through puddles, off road dirt, etc.) but primarily, I go for the quality of the ride! Nothing beats that IMHO, and with this MU-7 having leaf spring suspension, it's even more of a necessity that I do all I can to make the ride as smooth as possible.

I've mostly had Michelins on all my SUVs and good feel the difference during those occasions when I purchased one with inferior quality tires. Though I'm going with the MU-7, I have been giving accolades to the 30 day rental Fortuner 2.7 that I just put 7500 k on. It had 41k on the odometer but that, too, was one nice smooth riding SUV! My salesman friend just told me that Michelin Atitude(Latitude?) were on that vehicle!

If I do stay with 16", I'll try to sell the new OEM Bridgestone Duelers that came with the MU-7.

Edited by Ahnsahn

They told me that the 265/60R 18 is the replacement size for the MU-7's original 245/70R 16.

The 60 and 70 shown on a tire size indicates the profile of the tire, the distance from the rim to the outside of the tread.It is a percentage of the width of the tire (265 or 245). So a 265/60 tire means that the tire is 265 mm wide and 60 % of that high, 147 mm. The 245 tire would have a profile of 171mm. 171-147= 24mm or about 1"

So, measured across the tire and wheel you would have 16" plus the 6.7 x 2 = total wheel diameter of 29.4". The 18" would be 18" plus 5.8" x 2 = 29.6

So very close to the same thing, although they are changing the width of the tire to a 265 which is slightly narrower that the original 245.

As to the size for the Pajero they will be 265/60R 18.......I can't remember what the model of the Falken was, but I do remember it was a directional tire (can only be mounted to turn one way)

If ride quality is the prime factor, then you may want to stay with the 16" wheels as that will give you that extra 1" of sidewall which may mean a bit softer ride......not sure by how much. I do know that I will no way go for 20" wheels as that reduces the sidewall too much and will definitely make for a harsh ride.

Good luck with your choice and again, post some pics of the final decision.

Edited by CDNinKS

The 60 and 70 shown on a tire size indicates the profile of the tire, the distance from the rim to the outside of the tread.It is a percentage of the width of the tire (265 or 245). So a 265/60 tire means that the tire is 265 mm wide and 60 % of that high, 147 mm. The 245 tire would have a profile of 171mm. 171-147= 24mm or about 1"

So, measured across the tire and wheel you would have 16" plus the 6.7 x 2 = total wheel diameter of 29.4". The 18" would be 18" plus 5.8" x 2 = 29.6

So very close to the same thing, although they are changing the width of the tire to a 265 which is slightly narrower that the original 245.

As to the size for the Pajero they will be 265/60R 18.......I can't remember what the model of the Falken was, but I do remember it was a directional tire (can only be mounted to turn one way)

If ride quality is the prime factor, then you may want to stay with the 16" wheels as that will give you that extra 1" of sidewall which may mean a bit softer ride......not sure by how much. I do know that I will no way go for 20" wheels as that reduces the sidewall too much and will definitely make for a harsh ride.

Thanks, always wondered what the figures meant, now I know.

.....Thanx.....that really helps (after a 1/2 hour studying the figures and comparisons!) I was following allow until I got to the '16" plus the 6.7 x 2 = total wheel diameter of 29.4". The 18" would be 18" plus 5.8" x 2 = 29.6' :D

After all of that, I listed they wrong 18" tire replacement for my OEM 245/70R 16: Not the 265/60R 18 (I was confusing the correct 265/60R 17 replacement size). The "Correct" - and 'Final Answer' :D - 18" tire replacements are 245/60R 18 and 255/55R 18. Approx a 1" and a 1.2" reduction in sidewall from the OEM.......but those 16" look so puny :D and the 18" do look good :) ....... is 17" worth the upgrade? then there's my (driving) convictions - I'm conflicted :D

Using the incorrect 265/60R 18 size my salesperson, using a different formula(?), came up with '30.5' - ( 29.5 for the 245/70R 16) and indicated that was too much of a difference(?) and not a good replacement.

He stated: 245/70R-16 ~ 245/65R-17 ~ 245/60R-18 (plus 265/60R-17 and 255/55R-18) are all interchangeable sizes Geez!

Edited by Ahnsahn

Ride comfort caused by tyres is much more than size. Tyres load index indicates how much load tyre can carry, IOW how stiff the side walls are. A SUV isnt build to carry 1000 kg load as the pickups are, so a lower load index can be used generally increasing comfort and traction.

My 2010 Vigo on 17" rides more comfy and has better traction than my 2006 same vehicle on 16".

The standard Bridgestone Dueller coming with MU7 are crap. Bad traction, noisy, short lifetime and no comfort. I have had them in 16". Neither Fortuner4x4 or Vigo 950k use them any more, since November 2008. Its a cheap pickuptyre.

Isuzu vehicles are fantastic in reliablity and durability.

I still have to see a military vehicle in Japan that is not made by Isuzu, they are masters in heavy vehicles and trucks, MU-7 is probably the smallest they do.

Isuzu supplies Japanese Antarctica Mission with heavy vehicles too.

If I were not to buy a LandCruiser, I would go for Isuzu MU-7.

Ride comfort caused by tyres is much more than size. Tyres load index indicates how much load tyre can carry, IOW how stiff the side walls are. A SUV isnt build to carry 1000 kg load as the pickups are, so a lower load index can be used generally increasing comfort and traction.

My 2010 Vigo on 17" rides more comfy and has better traction than my 2006 same vehicle on 16".

The standard Bridgestone Dueller coming with MU7 are crap. Bad traction, noisy, short lifetime and no comfort. I have had them in 16". Neither Fortuner4x4 or Vigo 950k use them any more, since November 2008. Its a cheap pickuptyre.

Excellent point, thanks! :D You just settled that dilemma for me: It's going to be Michelins and on 17" wheels.
Isuzu vehicles are fantastic in reliability and durability.

I still have to see a military vehicle in Japan that is not made by Isuzu, they are masters in heavy vehicles and trucks, MU-7 is probably the smallest they do.

Isuzu supplies Japanese Antarctica Mission with heavy vehicles too.

If I were not to buy a Land Cruiser, I would go for Isuzu MU-7.

....that's the conclusion I arrived at about the Isuzu diesel. Though I have never driven a diesel vehicle before my test drive, I know that they generally outlast gasoline engines and longevity is a primary consideration in my MU-7 choice.

I consider it a real compliment - testimony - for the owner of a Land Cruiser (Top 'Dawg' in its class - emphasis on 'Class') to give it up for the Isuzu diesel! In fact, I am going to give my new car the moniker, 'The Baby Land Cruiser' out of appreciation (and because that's how I will be feeling every time I'm behind its wheel!) :):D

he standard Bridgestone Dueller coming with MU7 are crap. Bad traction, noisy, short lifetime and no comfort

That is standard equipment on the Pajero Sport as well, just by looking at tread design I was pretty sure they would be noisy on the hiway. Glad to hear it confirmed.

I was in the tire shop today and they talked me out of the 18" Michelins, not because it is a bad tire, but because the sales girl told me they are not that common so if I need a replacement it could be a bit of a wait while they ordered one. Might not be so with the 17", they may be more common and easier to get.

I'm gonna take my chances with the Falkens. Price quote today was 6700B for Falken, 8500B for Michelin.

As to the calculation for total tire diameter, a rule of thumb is for every inch you increase the wheel size, you decrease the tire profile by 5%. If OEM is 245/70R 16, then a 245/65R 17 or 245/60R 18 would be all very close to the same diameter.

I finally picked out the wheels today (Mercury), should take delivery of the car at 8:35 Monday so sometime after that I will post a picture.

Good tire/wheel hunting to all :)

So, with you saying that the Fortuner comes with Michelin or Bridgestones - that help explains the ride quality - if nothing else, I'll try to find a set of those for my MU7..
the tires having been produced for a drive-on-the-right country

I have never heard of that. If you drove in the right hand lane of a 4 lane hi-way, did the problem go away? There is such a thing as directional tires (can only be mounted to turn one way) but I can't imagine there are right hand / left hand drive tires. I would suspect that there was a manufacturing defect with those tires causing the pull.

From what I researched I learned that (some?) tires are made with a slight steering bias built into the ply pattern, in order to compensate in normal driving for the camber built into well-engineered roads - hence the term 'ply steer'. I tried driving on the 'wrong' side of a normally cambered road here and it did help to counteract the steering pull, though not entirely. The tires could, as you say, have simply had a manufaturing defect.

he standard Bridgestone Dueller coming with MU7 are crap. Bad traction, noisy, short lifetime and no comfort

That is standard equipment on the Pajero Sport as well, just by looking at tread design I was pretty sure they would be noisy on the hiway. Glad to hear it confirmed.

I was in the tire shop today and they talked me out of the 18" Michelins, not because it is a bad tire, but because the sales girl told me they are not that common so if I need a replacement it could be a bit of a wait while they ordered one. Might not be so with the 17", they may be more common and easier to get.

I'm gonna take my chances with the Falkens. Price quote today was 6700B for Falken, 8500B for Michelin.

As to the calculation for total tire diameter, a rule of thumb is for every inch you increase the wheel size, you decrease the tire profile by 5%. If OEM is 245/70R 16, then a 245/65R 17 or 245/60R 18 would be all very close to the same diameter.

I finally picked out the wheels today (Mercury), should take delivery of the car at 8:35 Monday so sometime after that I will post a picture.

Good tire/wheel hunting to all :)

I can hardly wait to see your new ride and the 18" 'Mercuries'. I am wondering what color you have selected?

Is this what the 2010 Pajero looks like?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2578/394575...f306cbcc7_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/394560...1e55b2bc2_o.png

This wins on styling alone - hands down!

FYI, the 8500 baht is the same price my car salesperson quoted me on the 17" Michelins.

So how what happens to your brand new OEM tires and wheels after you install your new 18" Falkens?

So how what happens to your brand new OEM tires and wheels after you install your new 18" Falkens?

I did this deal myself with one of the local tire dealers (not thru the Mitsu dealer) and they allowed me a 17,000B trade in value for the 16" wheels and tires. Checked numerous shops and the trade in value varied from a low of 10,000B to 17,000. Most were 15,000-16,000.

Total price for this upgrade after trade-in allowance was 28,600B. That also varied greatly between shops.....28,600-44,000B :) some farang pricing I suspect.

Yes, those are good examples of the Pajero Sport, my car is white and selected a brushed aluminum color for the wheels.

Can a 25 year old farang buy a Honda CR-V in his name with a down payment of 60%, (for example), if he has a Thai 'Guarantor'? Do the Thai finance companies only use the financial history of the Thai 'Guarantor' if the farang has a minimal savings account but no work permit to approve the loan?

CDNinKS: "....should take delivery of the car at 8:35 Monday so sometime after that I will post a picture."

I'm here counting down with you (as I am watching the Jets getting over on the Chargers)! Who makes your 'Mercury' wheels?

Aidenai: "....what is the brand name of your 18" wheels?

MU-7s Rule!

Alloy wheels are OK if you plan no 4WD adventures or do not need the wehicle for offroading.

Allloy wheels, under 4WD stress crush like sugar cubes. Impossible to repair them - normal wheels can be hammered back into shape.

(Think of flat tyre while negotiating rocky slopes where the wheel has no cusshion).

That's from Landcruiser Club member from Australia - people in the bush would never think of alloy wheels.

Alloy wheels are OK if you plan no 4WD adventures or do not need the wehicle for offroading.

Allloy wheels, under 4WD stress crush like sugar cubes. Impossible to repair them - normal wheels can be hammered back into shape.

(Think of flat tyre while negotiating rocky slopes where the wheel has no cusshion).

That's from Landcruiser Club member from Australia - people in the bush would never think of alloy wheels.

Depends on the quality. My 1984-1993 Range Rovers on alloys where doing extreme offroading. Never a problem with rims.

Mu 7 is not suited for offroad anyway, long wheelbase, leafsprings and low ground clearance

I'm here counting down with you (as I am watching the Jets getting over on the Chargers)! Who makes your 'Mercury' wheels?

Well here ya go......the finished project. Not sure who the wheels are made by, there are 2 names on them "Mercury" and "AME"

I am very happy with the ride quality so far.....only have 50kms :)

post-67352-1263808299_thumb.jpg post-67352-1263808201_thumb.jpg

CDNinKS,

Hope I'm the first to congratulate you because, 'You Done Good'! Your car is very beautiful, I don't know why I have not seen more of them on the road!??!

The wheel design is exquisite and compliments the beauty of your cars design! Even the 18" size looks to be a perfect match for your new SUV.....You really do have one nice beauty!!!

Thanks Ahnsahn,

I am pleased with the final outcome for sure. I am starting to see more and more of them around Songkhla/Hatyai now, I think the fact they have only been out for 18 months or so is the reason they are still a bit scarce........Also of course is the fact that the Fortuner is still so popular.

Good luck with your MU-7 and be sure to post some pictures.

I am very happy with the ride quality so far.....only have 50kms :)

Great looking car, CDNiniKS.

According to my dealer my rims are made by Thai Alloy Manufacturing. The model is Fearless.

Thai Alloy Mfg. is all over the place! I have been trying to find out - maybe you know(?); What are the correct sizes, dimensions needed for ordering alloy wheels(rims) for the new Mu 7?

Is it 6-127, 6-135 or something and what are the min & max offsets? Are these the figures that I need to know?

Thai Alloy Mfg. is all over the place! I have been trying to find out - maybe you know(?); What are the correct sizes, dimensions needed for ordering alloy wheels(rims) for the new Mu 7?

Is it 6-127, 6-135 or something and what are the min & max offsets? Are these the figures that I need to know?

I've no idea what these numbers mean. I've ordered at the Isuzu dealer 18 inch rims and tyres. They showed me the images of the rims and the deal was done.