Thanks Jimmy Peanut

Ulysses G.

Originally the thread had something to do with Thailand. Soon it deteriorated into the usual debate about US presidents. Let's see...I could delete the political remarks......DONE

You missed a couple, PB.

Post #1:

"I do not have a lot of respect for Jimmy Carter's political views or for his Presidency, but I do feel that, although he is misguided.."

and

Post #2:

"You're right on with this one. Bad in politics"

Keeping this within limits and back on topic:

I don't care whether Carter was a good President or not. But is the Habitat for Humanity project here really the best way to do things? Yes, it's nice that some people got new houses. But who decided that these were the most deserving residents in Thailand? Or the world for that matter? Wasn't it determined that the project had to be within xx kilometers of a major city so that the "volunteers" would all have acceptable lodging for the price they have to pay in order to be accepted as a volunteer? 3,000 volunteers need at least 1500 3* hotel rooms. You can't send them to a truly poor area without accommodations.

Volunteers didn't have to have any housebuilding skills, just a few thousand dollars to donate. Wouldn't it be better to hire unemployed under-employed Thais?

And while we're solving one problem aren't we contributing to another? What was the carbon footprint of the 3,000 volunteers who flew in, mostly from the US? If you read this forum regularly you'd think we were all concerned about preventing local pollution. Does anyone care about global pollution?

Habitat for Humanity. Good in theory. Bad in practice.

Keeping this within limits and back on topic:

Volunteers didn't have to have any housebuilding skills, just a few thousand dollars to donate. Wouldn't it be better to hire unemployed under-employed Thais?

From what I read in the BKK Post the new owners of the houses had to help build them. They weren't just given them for free. They also had to put down 30,000bt deposit (which they could repay over time) and put at least 400 hours of work into the house themselves.

The BKK Post article is titled "No 40: The house that Jimmy built"

Maybe you are right about all that stuff and maybe Jimmy has screwed up once again, but I know that at least one truly deserving person has gotten some help that they needed, so I want to thank him even if he has contributed to Global Warming. :)

PS, the woman I know helped to build her house and Jimmy helped too. She has photos.

Edited by Ulysses G.

It is false to thanks Jimmie what he does with other peoples money :):D

Its called leadership. Who can doubt that Jimmy Carter's leadership has been very important to Habitat for Humanity's success and longevity?

Who can doubt???? you ask......

Well the answer is any political bigot, that cannot look around their own bias and bigotry.... and there seem to be a lot of them , on this forum ready to lambaste others for that which they cannot and would not do themselves.

Jimmy Carter is a very good humanitarian ..... He has done a lot for others in many countries , and for that alone, he has my respect and admiration.

The part of this discussion that grates me is the posters who are so fast to call down and criticize others for doing something, whether its with their own money or with monies that have been donated to the cause, are too much deadbeats and lazy slouches to do anything for any others. with or without their or others money.

Do something good for mankind yourself, then you have earned the right to criticize. Spending a few miserly dollars in the bars and on the barflies, does not qualify one as a humanitarian, no matter how much you spout and think you are supporting the economy here....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Originally the thread had something to do with Thailand. Soon it deteriorated into the usual debate about US presidents. Let's see...I could delete the political remarks......DONE

You missed a couple, PB.

Post #1:

"I do not have a lot of respect for Jimmy Carter's political views or for his Presidency, but I do feel that, although he is misguided.."

and

Post #2:

"You're right on with this one. Bad in politics"

Quite funny. The reason it was deleted was because of the association with the Reagan and Bush administrations with drug trafficking.

Wake Up.