How To Transfer To Pattaya's License Plate?

Cobrabiker

Hi, I am interested in a bike but is registered in Koh Samui, I would like to know how to transfer it from Koh Samui's license plate to Pattaya's license plate? Does the seller need to be present in Pattaya to do the transfer? what is the procedure like, and documents required for the transfer?

As it is an imported bike, and the seller claimed that the green book is legit, how to find out whether it is genuine?

The seller doesn't need to be at the transport office

but their signiture needs to be on the correct piece of paper.

I believe this is a "legal waiver form" and you can get it from the post office also from Frendship supermarket (upstairs)

หนังสือมอบอำนาจ

The process is to say the least a bit of a pain and will require at least 2 visits to the Transport office out by the Regents School on highway 36.

First they will "unregister" the bike from the old province they will check the engine and frame numbers as well as the green book then a couple of weeks later you have to go back and have the bikes road worthyness tested they will issue a new number plate for the Chonburi province a new Tax disc and amend the green book too.

If you want it registerd in your name ( assuming you're not Thai )

you'll need to get the "certificate of residece" from the Jomtien imigration Soi 5

Sorry I cant remember exactly what other paper work they require..there was lots of paper flying around and frantic photo copies produced when my girlfriend did this earlier this year.

I'm sure someone will suggest you just go to a garage and have one of their "runners" do all the leg work for you

and after seeing the the process myself I would agree with them !

I think I will get it transferred to my name in Koh Samui first

Yes I think that would work I'm just a bit concerned that they will request some bit of paper they want to see

and of course you didn't bring it with you ( sods law )

So I hope some other members with more recent transfer exerience can give you a "definitive" list of docs needed.

As for insurance they do the compulsary insurance at the land transport office..think they also do first class/fully comprehensive too but as I'm a "cheap charlie farung kee nok " :) I've never "upgraded"

Best of luck.

Done it both ways.. It was easier to do it all in my home province but then I trusted the seller well..

Doing it in Samui begs the question, wont you need a samui proof of address ??

Also is there a DMV in Samui ?? Or on the mainland at Surat.. Drawing a blank to think of a Land transport office on the island (must have surely ??)

"Doing it in Samui begs the question, wont you need a samui proof of address ??"

No. you just need to fill out an additional form, temporary reg thing. then within 30 days transfer to your Province. Or just get 2 thais to say you live within the area. they sign and job done.

"Doing it in Samui begs the question, wont you need a samui proof of address ??"

No. you just need to fill out an additional form, temporary reg thing. then within 30 days transfer to your Province. Or just get 2 thais to say you live within the area. they sign and job done.

OK interesting.. Thats new on me.. When I did it (put a vehicle in my name in another province) they just had a scene were I paid a few 100 extra and someones address was used, no idea whose it was but it was my name and a mystery address in the book.

Currently here the whole address thing is getting tougher.. They wouldnt take my GF's out of province tabien (which they used to).. Then for us to get the residence cert we now need loads of extra stuff never needed before (landlords signed ID card, great if hes in europe !!).

There really isnt any real need to get new plates, you can get the registration renewed in any province. You can have the bike in your name and still keep the old plates.

Personally I try to avoid putting bikes in my name so if i run a checkpoint they wont know where to find me, also when i sell it, who knows if the buyer will transfer the bike, which would put me in the position of my first point.

For a certificate of residence from immigration you will need two copies of your passport front page, two copies of your visa page,copy of your proof of residence two passport photos and fill out the correct form to purchase a motorcycle from the immigration office if you go in the morning they will issue with the certificate next day. Try to avoid mondays and fridays as they are very busy days.

When my wife bought an out of province motorcycle ten months ago she was not able to get the registration at the Pattaya Land Transport Office she had to go to Chon Buri to get it done. She said that it would be better to change it in Koh Sumui to your name and then have the transfer done in Pattaya.

There really isnt any real need to get new plates, you can get the registration renewed in any province. You can have the bike in your name and still keep the old plates.

And when you go to sell the bike, the transfer must happen then, thereby delaying the process and possibly losing a sale.

Personally I try to avoid putting bikes in my name so if i run a checkpoint they wont know where to find me, also when i sell it, who knows if the buyer will transfer the bike, which would put me in the position of my first point.

If its not in your or your nominees name they simply can go to the police and file its stolen, you lose the bike and can be charged. Book name = ownership.

Transfer only happens if you want it to happen. You have as long as the ID card or expiry date of the passport to get it done, up to 5 years in most cases. Provided all your paperwork is in order, just sign the documents and leave the rest of the fields blank.

If and its a big if they file it stolen, chances are that they won't...even if they did there's no central police database to look up stolen bikes at check points. There's not even a database to look up salvage vehicles.

8 bikes later non transferred to my name, I'm still here. If the bike has recent registration stickers, it has already passed scrutiny when getting the tags. So i'd be more worried about buying a bike with tags expired for over a year.

But I agree its always better to transfer the bike to your name. Especially if it's an expensive bike.

Transfer only happens if you want it to happen. You have as long as the ID card or expiry date of the passport to get it done, up to 5 years in most cases. Provided all your paperwork is in order, just sign the documents and leave the rest of the fields blank.

And when they then invent a new thing you need ?? Like Phuket now demand the tabien baan of the seller.. What do you do then ??

Also if bought from a farang you have until their entry card or visa expires which can be a few days if they are leaving.

I must know of 5 bikes stuck in an old sellers name.. resale price on those bikes is now a pittance as they are not transferable.

If and its a big if they file it stolen, chances are that they won't...even if they did there's no central police database to look up stolen bikes at check points. There's not even a database to look up salvage vehicles.

All the 'seller' has to do is go report it stolen.. You can then lose the bike.. And they can go get a replacement book.

The idea of not putting a boke of any value in your name is just ridiculous.. I understand if you mean a scooter or some 20k rat bike or old thing.. But anything of value to simply operate on trust, is asking for problems.

Edited by LivinLOS

The tabien ban (house registration) of the seller has always been mandatory. I don't know what planet you've been on.

Those 5 bikes you mentioned are stuck in the old seller's name because they didn't observe the expiry dates like I mentioned above in my previous post, or are missing paperwork - period

I haven't transferred a bike since I've been here, I just make sure all the paperwork is in order and unexpired. If I was to buy a 250,000 baht bike though, that would be a different story...I most certainly would want to put it in my name.

Chances are very slim that anyone will ever report a bike stolen just to do it, unless they hate you...even then if they do, how are they going to explain what you are doing with :

1) Copy of their ID card

2) Copy of their house registration

3) Power of attorney signed by them

4) Vehicle transfer document also signed by them

I'd be more worried about a bike that hasn't been transferred out of my name, but that's just me.

????

Hey Powerband, is that info updated? So I just need to transfer to my name in Samui and renew the tax in Pattaya every year? Anybody has done this?

Residence cert is no problem, as I have already got it in Pattaya. Someone has told me that one does not need to be residing in that province in order to register, it is just to show proof of where you stay.

Thanks thaicbr for telling me to check the frame and engine number. Now the problem is engine number does not matched as the previous owner (his friend) changed the engine without updating with the LTA, I was wondering how to sort out the new engine number? Now the problem is on the seller to sort it out, but I just want to know what should be the right way to handle this. The bike was sold to the present owner for a year with the new engine, but the present owner does not bother to register and only to find out problem now.

I was wondering how to sort out the new engine number?

Very simple, don't touch this bike find another one to buy.

I concur.. walk,run, skip away

Also. Powerband. Most LTA's you DO NOT need a copy of the tabien baan

Edited by thaicbr

The tabien ban (house registration) of the seller has always been mandatory. I don't know what planet you've been on.

Here on Phuket they only wanted address proof for the buyer until a few weeks ago. Only now have they started to ask for address proof for the seller. So thats what planet.

Also as you dont put bikes in your name it would seem your experience of the subject might be limited.

Those 5 bikes you mentioned are stuck in the old seller's name because they didn't observe the expiry dates like I mentioned above in my previous post, or are missing paperwork - period

Or because the bike was modified from standard.. One had all the paperwork and the DMV didnt agree with one fine point, ruined that set and demanded a new set, but as he (as per your advice) only had the one set of signed papers from an old seller he was screwed.

Also you say just keep those docs.. So what happens if you lose them, if you have a fire, a viscous GF tears them up, some steals them, if anything happens.. You cant then go to the DMV and get another set, and next tax time thats it.. bikes now not in your name and paperless, now it cant be on the road.. your screwed.

Edited by LivinLOS

Here on Phuket they only wanted address proof for the buyer until a few weeks ago. Only now have they started to ask for address proof for the seller. So thats what planet.

Also as you dont put bikes in your name it would seem your experience of the subject might be limited.

Or because the bike was modified from standard.. One had all the paperwork and the DMV didnt agree with one fine point, ruined that set and demanded a new set, but as he (as per your advice) only had the one set of signed papers from an old seller he was screwed.

Also you say just keep those docs.. So what happens if you lose them, if you have a fire, a viscous GF tears them up, some steals them, if anything happens.. You cant then go to the DMV and get another set, and next tax time thats it.. bikes now not in your name and paperless, now it cant be on the road.. your screwed.

On this planet (Phuket) they also want to see original passport from both seller (if farang) and buyer (if farang) before transfer. Even police certified copies wont work.

Tabien Baan and card from both parties if thai.

Whenever you have to do something at the Department of motor vehicles - and the bike is NOT in your name- you will need those 4 things i mentioned.

So actually in your case you need to do 3 -4 things:

1) change to your name

2) sort out engine number

3) extra copies of the 4 things i mentioned when your ready to sell again - if you dont transfer to your name.

4) if you want plates, but if you put the bike in your name its no longer a problem, because you'll have your own personal documents, #3 also becomes moot.

So you need 3 copies of everything if you do them at different times - still with me? - OR you can do everything at once requiring only 1 set of documents.

If you cant sort the engine number out, chances are you cant put it in your name. - OR - simply go to the shop that put the engine in and get another invoice. - simple

when they put the tape on the numbers and scrape with a pencil, its not to see if the numbers are fake - its for accuracy

I don't put bikes in my name , but that doesn't mean i've never helped do it for others, and I haven't lost any books yet, because its an important aspect one should take seriously as well keep in a safe clean dry place in a plastic envelope usually given to you when you get the state required Pah Rah Bah insurance, not under your seat, in the reach of psychotic women or criminals you just met.

If you dont lose your passport you probably wont lose the book.

Every transport office ive been to required the house registration - which brings me to another fine point, whenever you give these documents to anyone in thailand, write what they are intended to be used for on the copied document.

Hi Powerband, thanks for the details. The engine was changed by red baron, so I think there is no problem for the seller to sort it out. Once it is done, I will get it transfer to my name but still on Samui's plate. As for the 4 docoments you mentioned, need more details:

1) Copy of their ID card

1) unexpired passport, so if I do not want to reg, and their passport expires in a year's time, this means I need to register or sell before it expires, is this what you mean? Make sense!

2) Just a copy of the house address? Not a residence cert from the seller?

3) Power of attorney, where to get this?

4) Vehicle transfer form, can get it from any Land Transport offices in any provinces?

Oh, is insurance mandatory? Any insurance company to recommend, especially to cover for theft?

On this planet (Phuket) they also want to see original passport from both seller (if farang) and buyer (if farang) before transfer. Even police certified copies wont work.

I have always used signed copies of ID card (for Thai) or passport for farang.

Thats another thats changed in last month or two then..

when they put the tape on the numbers and scrape with a pencil, its not to see if the numbers are fake - its for accuracy

Of course its to see if they match the book or are bent..

I don't put bikes in my name , but that doesn't mean i've never helped do it for others, and I haven't lost any books yet, because its an important aspect one should take seriously as well keep in a safe clean dry place in a plastic envelope usually given to you when you get the state required Pah Rah Bah insurance, not under your seat, in the reach of psychotic women or criminals you just met.

If you dont lose your passport you probably wont lose the book.

My last villa destroyed in a landslide, along with much of its contents.. Your solution to that or a flood or a house fire or or or ??

Hi Powerband, thanks for the details. The engine was changed by red baron, so I think there is no problem for the seller to sort it out. Once it is done, I will get it transfer to my name but still on Samui's plate. As for the 4 docoments you mentioned, need more details:

1) Copy of their ID card

1) unexpired passport, so if I do not want to reg, and their passport expires in a year's time, this means I need to register or sell before it expires, is this what you mean? Make sense!

2) Just a copy of the house address? Not a residence cert from the seller?

3) Power of attorney, where to get this?

4) Vehicle transfer form, can get it from any Land Transport offices in any provinces?

Oh, is insurance mandatory? Any insurance company to recommend, especially to cover for theft?

The docs needed are slightly different depending on buyer / seller being farang or Thai..

The Thai will need a tabien baan (possibly in province also) the farang needs a residence cert (for sure the buyer, in some provinces it seems now also the seller).

The thai will need a signed copy of ID card.. The Farang a signed copy of passport, as well as passport they need a copy of the TM7 entry card and the current entry stamp, and if they have it get the visa also, may not be needed but better to have it and not need it etc.. You have until the entry stamp expires to change the name not the passport and not the visa.

The power of attorney and transfer forms are both at the land transport office. I had seen them downloadable also.

Mandatory insurance is usually available in the land transport office, also if its older than (5 or 7 ??) years it needs a vehicle inspection.

If the engine has been changed and the new engine numbers are not the same as in the book already.. Then you have another hurdle.. You will need full import paperwork to show the taxes have been paid on that engine. This paperwork has the chance of being not stamped properly if they want to screw you over or demand tea money. Get the seller to change the engine number first IMO.

I have always used signed copies of ID card (for Thai) or passport for farang.

Thats another thats changed in last month or two then..

There was some insident with faked permit to stay stamp in passportcopies. Since then Phuket DMV has required to compare original passports with copy and certify the copies themselves.

Buying something new, dealer is required to bring your original passport and copy to DMV to have it certified. An hour or so.

you can get the documents you require from any used car dealer for about 20 baht

power of attorney - bai mob umnod

transfer document - oan rup oan

just go to red baron and let them handle all the paperwork and transfer issues for you, theyll probably do it for 2000 baht. It cost more this way, but i'm sure they are well versed in the process and use a dedicated service provider just for doing the paperwork.

And just how long it will need for the seller to update the new engine number on the green book? Any idea?

Will depend entirely on the seller and if the import papers and taxation receipts are in order..

But better its his tax bill than yours if it screws up no ??

Another reason to make sure its properly booked in your name.. So you dont get lumbered with his tax bills mistakes when you need to sell.

Edited by LivinLOS

This bike is registered in Samui, and his friend, the previous owner is now sorting out the engine number. The current owner, together with the bike are in Phuket, I was wondering once the engine number is sorted out, can I do a transfer of ownership in Phuket but still on Koh Samui's plate?

This bike is registered in Samui, and his friend, the previous owner is now sorting out the engine number. The current owner, together with the bike are in Phuket, I was wondering once the engine number is sorted out, can I do a transfer of ownership in Phuket but still on Koh Samui's plate?

Well you cant change the name on a samui plate on phuket.. You can move ther samui plate to a phuket plate or go to samui (surat ??) and put it in your name there.

The bike will need to be checked wherever you do it..

Phuket is probably the worst / hardest place in the country on big bikes..

You should ensure they actually process the engine change not take the shortcut of just restamping the engine.

Be careful.